EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Seshew Maa Ny Medew Netcher does this resolve the skin color 'mystery'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seshew Maa Ny Medew Netcher does this resolve the skin color 'mystery'
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBsVdiV7jA

The walls are Aspective. 3D models are Perspective

-

-

The red does not represent skin color but something else. Perhaps nationality.

But the models do.
Which is why the models have skin tones.

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Tutankhamun

-
pained limestone Bust of Prince Ankhhaf
Egyptian
Old Kingdom, Dynasty 4, reign of Khafra (Chephren)
2520–2494 B.C.

-

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tut statue is the same as your avi.

A better example of 3D matching the walls.

-

There seems to be more exceptions with large statues/nobility.

I think this is supposed to be a perspective depiction of Yuya's face.

-

Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Aspective " has nothing to do with color

Etymology:

aspect (n.)
late 14c., an astrological term, "relative position of the planets as they appear from earth" (i.e., how they "look at" one another); also "one of the ways of viewing something," from Latin aspectus "a seeing, looking at, sight, view; countenance; appearance," from past participle of aspicere "to look at, look upon, behold; observe, examine," figuratively "consider, ponder," from ad "to" (see ad-) + specere "to look" (from PIE root *spek- "to observe"). Meanings "the look one wears; the appearance of things" are attested by early 15c. Sense of "a facing in a given direction" is from 1660s.

Aspective view means you are showing the most identifiable parts of the subject. “The depiction of each part provides the maximum information from different angles”

In order to achieve their careful edition of reality, the Ancient Egyptian artists avoided a single perspective, e.g. a room seen from one corner. Instead, they adopted the most characteristic aspect of each element, building up a composite aspective image: in recent Egyptological writing, the term 'aspective' has been used

-
Here is a side view of a face but the eye is in mainly a front view, almond shape

-
this is how the eys actually looks in side view, not an almond shape, it's like a triangle

-

^ The color here looks blotchy and faded. Nevertheless Aspective has nothing to do with color.
As for the aspective here we have basically a figure in side view.
Yet the men's torso and eyes are in front view.
At the same time the torso is in the broad front they show a nipple that would be for side view

-

Here there is no aspective in the torso. The whole body (except for the eyes) is in a natural looking side view, not with the twist to the wide front view for the torso like in other works

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not an art historian so spitballing here. not aspective but stylized in a different way - dark red representing stereotypical more coppery-brown Sudanese-looking Upper Egyptians, as opposed to light yellow representing stereotypical more olive-skinned Maghrebi-looking Lower Egyptians? or in some cases stereotypical Egyptians as opposed to stereotypical Asiatics or Libyans?

but in real life and in more realistic depictions there would be a spectrum of looks and skin tones. and maybe two people the same shade of brown could be depicted one light yellow one dark red depending on context or sex or geographical origin. is that the idea?

what Oshun's been saying about northerners increasing in proportion at expense of southerners per skull-measuring stuff and irrigation of the Nile delta and different amounts of immigration from different directions would then explain why Faiyum mummy portraits and modern Egyptians mostly look like the northern stereotype.

i'm either way behind in this conversation or talking out my ass lol

Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

-

Here there is no aspective in the torso. The whole body (except for the eyes) is in a natural looking side view, not with the twist to the wide front view for the torso like in other works

Lioness this is a good catch... When was this picture drawn?
It's said that during Akhenatens reign perspective and "realism" were mostly exploited, however not even Armana portraits or reliefs show this level of 2d perspective in AE artwork... This might be transcribed by our first ever Masaccio or Divinci lmao.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HabariTess
Member # 19629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HabariTess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by capra:
not an art historian so spitballing here. not aspective but stylized in a different way - dark red representing stereotypical more coppery-brown Sudanese-looking Upper Egyptians, as opposed to light yellow representing stereotypical more olive-skinned Maghrebi-looking Lower Egyptians? or in some cases stereotypical Egyptians as opposed to stereotypical Asiatics or Libyans?

but in real life and in more realistic depictions there would be a spectrum of looks and skin tones. and maybe two people the same shade of brown could be depicted one light yellow one dark red depending on context or sex or geographical origin. is that the idea?

what Oshun's been saying about northerners increasing in proportion at expense of southerners per skull-measuring stuff and irrigation of the Nile delta and different amounts of immigration from different directions would then explain why Faiyum mummy portraits and modern Egyptians mostly look like the northern stereotype.

i'm either way behind in this conversation or talking out my ass lol

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/life-style/travel-and-tourism/2014/03/04/Rock-hewn-tombs-from-Ancient-Egypt-discovered-in-Aswan.html

This tomb dated back to the New Kingdom period. Look at the variation of brown skin being shown. I'm an artist and the use of red brown for medium brown skin is very accurate to how painters today paint accurate African skin tones(I use reddish brown a lot for brown skin). They made sure to paint the variation in their population.

-

ETA for realistic examples, check these two out.

If I were painting her portrait, I would use burnt sienna( a reddish brown color) for her main skin tone. Her shadows would be burnt sienna mixed with Dark Umber( a very dark brown) and her light areas would be an orange brown.
 -

Compared to this guy. I would use Dark Umber mixed with a little Burnt Sienna for his general skin tone, his shadows get much closer to black versus the girl, and his lights areas are a combination of light blue and grey with a sprinkle of light browns here and there.
 -

Obviously, the Ancient Egyptians did not go to that level of detail in their art as far as shadows and light, but what they do have with the recognition in differences in brown skin, that in itself is impressive. I've seen plenty of cartoonist today who neglect the diversity of black skin tone and go with a standard dark brown.

Posts: 116 | From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capra
Member # 22737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for capra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ thanks! that's a nice counter-example there.
Posts: 660 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I have always interpreted the standard “red” AE skin tone as representing a milk chocolate or dark mahogany color. The jet-black color typically used for Kushites and other Sudanese would probably represent the very dark color we associate with South Sudanese today (even if not all “Nubian” populations were biologically South Sudanese-like in reality). At least that is my interpretation.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HabariTess
Member # 19629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HabariTess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just judging by art alone, I always imagine Upper Egyptians looking more similar to the Borana where there is a variation with dark and red browns, but more of a gradient between the two. Like so:

-

While I imagine the Kushites as being more similar to modern Senegal population where there is a lot more concentration of darker brown skin tones with some red browns sprinkled throughout.

-

Posts: 116 | From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
"Aspective " has nothing to do with color

Etymology:

aspect (n.)
late 14c., an astrological term, "relative position of the planets as they appear from earth" (i.e., how they "look at" one another); also "one of the ways of viewing something," from Latin aspectus "a seeing, looking at, sight, view; countenance; appearance," from past participle of aspicere "to look at, look upon, behold; observe, examine," figuratively "consider, ponder," from ad "to" (see ad-) + specere "to look" (from PIE root *spek- "to observe"). Meanings "the look one wears; the appearance of things" are attested by early 15c. Sense of "a facing in a given direction" is from 1660s.

Aspective view means you are showing the most identifiable parts of the subject. “The depiction of each part provides the maximum information from different angles”

In order to achieve their careful edition of reality, the Ancient Egyptian artists avoided a single perspective, e.g. a room seen from one corner. Instead, they adopted the most characteristic aspect of each element, building up a composite aspective image: in recent Egyptological writing, the term 'aspective' has been used

We don't actually have the name for what they were doing or know if it even had a name. I'm using aspective as a catch all because the video demonstrates it. I'm suggesting that color was part of the code. I factor the fading.

-

This dude has faded from darker than, to lighter than the wall color. [Cool]

quote:

-

^ The color here looks blotchy and faded. Nevertheless Aspective has nothing to do with color.
As for the aspective here we have basically a figure in side view.
Yet the men's torso and eyes are in front view.
At the same time the torso is in the broad front they show a nipple that would be for side view

The color is consistent. Its the same sun disc color.
 -

quote:

-

Arent we still seeing two left hands?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com