EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Foreigners to Egypt in illustration reconstructions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Foreigners to Egypt in illustration reconstructions
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

postcard (Paper)
Creation date: 1900-1950
Description: Colour postcard of 2 egyptian figures. The caption reads 'King Ramesses II smiting a Lygian enemy'.
Production place: Al Qahirah – Cairo

Lygia (Greek: Λυγιά) is a village and a community in the municipal unit of Vartholomio, Elis, Greece. Its population in 2011 was 286 for the village and 787 for the community,

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure thats supposed to be Lybian

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

Amazon

King Ramesses II Smiting A Lybian Enemy Africa Egypt Original Vintage Postcard

https://www.amazon.com/Ramesses-Smiting-Original-Vintage-Postcard/dp/B00OYOEEWS

-

yes, Punos Rey is probably right the museum actually got it wrong, if not wrong as a typo in the OP

Itoli
Member # 22743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Itoli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He must've been a specific pain in the ass seeing how they rendered him with more individualism lol.
Posts: 44 | From: West Bumble... | Registered: Apr 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://vico.wikispaces.com/file/view/sourceseven.jpg/61381890/sourceseven.jpg

Yeah, I saw this image at Abu Simbel.

Here are some nice pictures by a tourist,

​Abu Simbel, Aswan and the Temple of Philae

http://www.travelingmailman.com/abu-simbel--aswan-and-the-temple-of-philae.html

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
 -

postcard (Paper)
Creation date: 1900-1950
Description: Colour postcard of 2 egyptian figures. The caption reads 'King Ramesses II smiting a Lygian enemy'.
Production place: Al Qahirah – Cairo

Lygia (Greek: Λυγιά) is a village and a community in the municipal unit of Vartholomio, Elis, Greece. Its population in 2011 was 286 for the village and 787 for the community,

Wow! Interesting post card. The poses are stock
in trade but this captive is unique in his coif,
beard, colllar, and penistache combo.

Can't see any telltale 'Libyan' sidelock. Could be
the Lower Egypt Red Crowned Ramses has them in grip?

Here's another photo of what inspired the postcard.
With luck I'll find it in the Denkmäler and tryout the glyphs.

-

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

the opening post was the same, smaller from Durham University's small collection
I couldn't post the link because it is one of those URL glitch about parenthesis

In this image I think I see "B" not "G" however that would spell They spell it Lybian not the current Libyan spelling but both spellings have been used in books
But it seems Durham University had made an error saying it was Lygian

-

^ I assume if the original ever had color no modern person has seen it, this is a wall I think exposed to the elements

Therefore all the color in the illustration is speculation by a modern illustrator and I'm not convinced there was definitely a collar there looking similar to the Egyptian type on the kneeling figure

The wall relief is worn. I think the original may have shown the Libyan wearing a full gown type garment but you can't tell because of the wear.
This postcard might not be as accurate in detail speculation comparatively to Rosellini's illustrations

The pointy beard seems tell tale for Libyan

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ the Lioness,
No, the original has no color, it's just stone. It's right at the doorway. But in that same building you will find murals with colors. Usually colors are very well preserved. They may have some damage, but you still will be able to make distinctions.

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Hittites / Drawing by Ippolito RosseliniHittites.
From the Tomb of Seti I (or Sethos I; 19th Dynasty; 1304 – 1290 BC) in the Valley of the Kings, Western Thebes, Upper Egypt.
Drawing by Ippolito Rosselini (1800-1843), c. 1820.REFERENCEAKG602421SOURCE
RALPH RAINER STEFFENS BILDARCHIV STEFFENS[/IMG]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-
tomb of Merenptah I, facsimile illustration

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Captives Temple of Ibsamboul (Abu Simbel), Rameses II
"Monuments de l’Égypte et de la Nubie" de Jean-François Champollion, volume I

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

-
tomb of Merenptah I, facsimile illustration

Originally posted 2007 to prove Yurco and Hornung
were lying on Ampim that Lepsius' Denkmalër did in
fact have condensations of Book of Gates scene 30.

In the same thread somebody who still can't read
hieroglyphics, yet adamantly says there's no such
glyphs as "black.people", wanted to argue who's the Egyptian.

Tell me again Lioness what are these glyphs  -
from my Yurco and Hornung vs Ampim and Lepsius thread?

Ah yes, we had big fun, eh? 💋

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^ stop trolling

quote:

--------------------
Let's all be Colleagues not antagonists, OK?

^ so you put this at the end of your posts to pretend that is not exactly what you are doing?
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Shut up.

The mere fact I live and
breathe antagonizes you.
Good it should. Darkness
and lies should feel
antagonized by the light
of truth.

I will continue exposing you
as you continue deleting my
integral posts on the forum
you control.

Here in this in this thread
I gave context to images
I whupped your ass on
long ago cause you phony,
wanna call that trolling.

All you can do is shout
mad dog and maybe go try
remove my Ampim thread
to cover your tracks.

You shout mad dog because
you can't deny the fact
you can't read Mdw Ntjr
but asininely not only
argue against your better
and refuse to learn from
him.

There are dozens posts
you showing ignorance
of the language and its
letters all the while
refusing to be taught
but pontificating anyway.

Thats why you the poster
girl of a troll queen.

--------------------

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--Flame War(4) Posts Removed; Lioness Please Present A Rebuttal Or A New Discussion Piece If You Want To Call Out Tukuler In This Thread. Name Calling with No Additional Substance Will Only Take You So Far.-//MOD
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

Originally posted 2007 to prove Yurco and Hornung
were lying on Ampim that Lepsius' Denkmalër did in
fact have condensations of Book of Gates scene 30.

In the same thread somebody who still can't read
hieroglyphics, yet adamantly says there's no such
glyphs as "black.people", wanted to argue who's the Egyptian.

[b]Tell me again Lioness what are these glyphs

from my Yurco and Hornung vs Ampim and Lepsius thread?

Ah yes, we had big fun, eh? 💋

-- It's been brought to my attention that this post is problematic in that it doesn't necessarily contribute insight pertaining to the OP, yet is argumentative and condescending. May I request we check our personal qualms at the door from this point forward in this thread.

The thread is about Ramesses II smiting a Libyan enemy and other facsimile Egyptian illustrations
Can we please keep our posts addressing, discussing or referring to the above/OP^. --//MOD

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

Dr. Winchell's Preadamites (1880), Jabez Thomas Sunderland

https://books.google.com/books?id=4vR_AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA199&dq=champollion+tamahu&hl=en&sa=X&ved=

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Portrait of a Hindu is funny.
Thats one of the Retenu(sp)
from Rekhmire Procession.

I remember those images were
in Nott&Glidden lol! And the
Kurd is a Tjemehu.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

08-01-15/15

An African dancer. Thebes, tomb of Horemhab, No.78 Period of Tuthmosis IV (1420-1411 BCE)
Ancient Egyptian Paintings selected,copied & described by Nina M.Davies; plate XL
Lessing, Erich, photographer (born 1923)

http://www.lessingimages.com/viewimage.asp?i=08011515+&cr=71&cl=1#

Note: some these illustrations done by modern artists like this one are made so that they copy the art literally in the sense that if the painting had paint damage and the tomb wall was scuffed up they copy it like that, they copy the damaged parts .
So sometimes when you see one of these Nina Davies copies on the internet that were made in modern times on paper they can look similar to who it looked in aged condition on the actual temple wall

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

Dr. Winchell's Preadamites (1880), Jabez Thomas Sunderland

https://books.google.com/books?id=4vR_AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA199&dq=champollion+tamahu&hl=en&sa=X&ved=

^^^this might be true

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the questioner:
^^^this might be true

"might" is not good enough

"likely is minimum"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com