EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Igbos and Khoisans mixed 9.000 years ago??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Igbos and Khoisans mixed 9.000 years ago??
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright... I need good ole Egyptsearch's opinion on this. I'm currently discussing this gem on another site but I feel you guys on ES will give a BETTER interpretation.

But first let me post the twitter posts
"A genetic analysis of Igbo samples by The African Genome Variation Project reveals that the Igbo people may have mixed with populations similar to the Khoi-San around 9,000 years ago, a people living today in southern Africa who have the oldest genetic lineage in the word."

^^^
 -

"This is consistent with archaeological evidence that supports the fact that the Khoi-San once inhabited the area from their present homeland to as far as the western Sahara. 'The African Genome Variation Project shapes medical genetics in Africa"

^^^^ [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

@Beyoku you remember you informing me about possible Khoisan-like population in the Sahara(and that DNAtribes MAY be right) and that its sooner or later and that we'll find them! Well, I think we're getting close! [Eek!]

Moving on to the actual study.

The African Genome Variation Project shapes medical genetics in Africa

quote:
"We also find evidence for complex and regionally distinct HG admixture across SSA (Fig. 2, Extended Data Figs 7 and Supplementary Note 5), with ancient gene flow (∼9,000 years ago) among Igbo and more recent admixture in East and South Africa (multiple events ranging from 100 years ago to 3,000 years ago), broadly consistent with historical movements reflecting the Bantu expansion. An exploration of the likeliest sources of admixture in our data suggested that HG admixture in Igbo was most closely represented by modern day Khoe-San populations rather than by rainforest HG populations (Supplementary Note 5)."
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature13997

Okay ES what the heck is going on? How the do modern Igbo people have admixture from modern Khoe-San populations in Southern Africa? What could have happened?

Could it be that Kho-San like groups have lived much Northern than they do now? I.e The Sahara and were in contact with the ancestors of Niger-Congo people??? Could it be that a Niger-Congo population that mixed with the Khoisan spread this ancestry to Igbo people? What are you guys thoughts?

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wouldn't hard to believe as I noticed khoisan looks among west African groups,hell I recall see one of mlk daughter who has a khoisan like look.

https://stacks.stanford.edu/image/iiif/tm599yd9813%2F14_coretta_00007/full/!400,400/0/default.jpg

https://maryworks.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/29588-img_6370.jpg?w=500

Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder if that contributed to light skin among red Igbo.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be anecdotal but the resemblance is uncanny between these two

Chinua Achebe

-

Nelson Mandela

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itoli
Member # 22743

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Itoli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:

Did the Khoisan who mixed with the Igbo have light skin? I'm asking because the Sandawe are the furthest North "Khoisan" group if im not mistaken and they're typically dark skinned.
Posts: 44 | From: West Bumble... | Registered: Apr 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansamusa
Member # 22474

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansamusa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember posts on ES about light skinned Igbos, and Nigerians are known for roasting Ghanaians for a jet black complexion much darker than what is usual in Nigeria. Maybe the light skin is something they got from Khoisan.
Posts: 288 | From: Asia | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Itoli:
quote:

Did the Khoisan who mixed with the Igbo have light skin? I'm asking because the Sandawe are the furthest North "Khoisan" group if im not mistaken and they're typically dark skinned.
Apparently its most common in Ngwa.

-

Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red, White, and Blue + Christian
Member # 10893

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red, White, and Blue + Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Khoisan type people may have lived throughout the African continent from Capetown to Cairo.
Posts: 1115 | From: GOD Bless the USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autshumato
Member # 22722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autshumato     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Albinism contributes to light skin in any and all situations.

--------------------
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

Posts: 195 | From: Southern Africa(Azania) | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autshumato:
quote:

Albinism contributes to light skin in any and all situations.
Keep this talking point in the Deshret.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com