EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » "Human burials at the Kisese II rockshelter, Tanzania"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Human burials at the Kisese II rockshelter, Tanzania"
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New craniodental study on LSA remains from Tanzania:

Human burials at the Kisese II rockshelter, Tanzania

quote:
Results
Our results suggest a minimum of six individuals from the Kisese II collections with two adults and four juveniles. While the dating for most of the burials is uncertain, one individual is directly radiocarbon dated to ~7.1 ka indicating that at least one burial is early Holocene in age. Craniodental metric comparisons indicate that the Kisese II individuals extend the amount of human morphological diversity among Holocene eastern Africans.

Conclusions
Our findings contribute to a growing body of evidence that Late Pleistocene and early Holocene eastern Africans exhibited relatively high amounts of morphological diversity. However, the Kisese II individuals suggest morphological similarity at localized sites potentially supporting increased regionalization during the early Holocene.

quote:
Cranial metrics from KNM‐KX 2, the only complete undistorted skull, were compared to published data from 476 adults from five recent African populations: the San (n = 82) and Zulu (n = 101) from southern Africa, the Taita (n = 83) from Kenya, a sample from Egypt (n = 111), and the Dogon (n = 99) from Mali (Howells, 1973, 1989, 1995; https://web.utk.edu/~auerbach/HOWL.htm).

quote:
Cranial measurements from KNM‐KX 2 were compared to early Holocene/LSA (~10.0–4.0 ka), Pastoral Neolithic (~3.5–2.0 ka), and modern African groups (Figure 4). The nine cranial measurements included in the comparative sample varied significantly across the population groups (Kruskal‐Wallis: χ2 = 51.96–202.27, df = 7, p < 0.01). Pairwise tests were not used for the cranial metric analyses because the Kisese II sample only consisted of one individual. The Taita, Early Holocene/LSA, Pastoral Neolithic, and KNM‐KX 2 all had a similar ratio of maximum cranial breadth and length compared to the other modern African populations. Dimensions of the nasal aperture for KNM‐KX 2 were smaller than most of the modern African populations but overlapped with Egyptian individuals. Kruskal‐Wallis tests for all cranial measurements across individual sites within the early Holocene/LSA and Pastoral Neolithic samples were not significant (all p > 0.05).

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7080 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent share, thanks Brandon.

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admittedly, the overlap between this prehistoric Tanzanian sample and late dynastic northern Egyptians (which would be the Egyptians used in the Howells database which this study draws its comparative samples from) is noted for one variable only (namely nasal dimension). But it would be cool if further investigation found more affinities between these particular East Africans and ancient Egypto-Nubians. Maybe this sample represents an early southward migration of Afroasiatic-speakers from the eastern Sahara/Red Sea region?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7080 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch the anti-African crowd try and say this is evidence of Caucasoids... I mean Eurasians being present deep within Sub-Sahara Africa lol.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
Watch the anti-African crowd try and say this is evidence of Caucasoids... I mean Eurasians being present deep within Sub-Sahara Africa lol.

Never mind that, if the 7.1 kya date applies to all the burials, they predate Mota who had little to no Neanderthal admixture (one of the most telltale sign of Eurasian ancestry right now).

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
Admittedly, the overlap between this prehistoric Tanzanian sample and late dynastic northern Egyptians (which would be the Egyptians used in the Howells database which this study draws its comparative samples from) is noted for one variable only (namely nasal dimension). But it would be cool if further investigation found more affinities between these particular East Africans and ancient Egypto-Nubians. Maybe this sample represents an early southward migration of Afroasiatic-speakers from the eastern Sahara/Red Sea region?

only two sets of human skeletal remains from the sites of Hora and Fin- gura could be associated with the latter part of the Later Stone Age in that country. Wells (1957) and Sandelowsky and Robinson (1968) had published only brief reports on the two sites, and neither series had been fully analyzed. On the basis of Wells (1957) and Brothwell (1963), Tobias (1971) postulated that the Holocene people were a blend of incoming African Mediterranean groups with a prior ‘‘Khoisanoid’’ population.

see this study. It concluded that the Hora individuals were a combination of a west African ancestor and possibly a Khoisan-like group. They didn't compare non biologically "SSA" groups though. But nonetheless the conclusion makes sense. As seen before on this forum, I believe it's been Tukuler pressing the fact that my Admixture runs shows Holocene inhabitants having multiple African affinity. It also had been shown (though not in detail) that the Malawi huntergatherers can be modeled as a descendant of South African and east African ancestors.

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew. OK. I've feared crediting those charts to
you as I did intitially. Thought you might not
care for the use I put them to to be associated
with your name (reputation) or theories.

https://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/2994/mt-hora-malawi-6200-bce

Thread's nearing 3 yrs old, Probably should revisit it for precisions.

Note the 'w afr element' is there before any
desertification caused African Humid Period
diaspora from the Sahra w/all the haplogroups
noted in D'Atanasio (2018).

How come that (how'd that happen)?

=-=-=

Brandon
Thx 4/t thread.
W/o it I'd have no idea there was physical
anthro that much later genomics has vetted.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forty2Tribes
Member # 21799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forty2Tribes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:

Which is the same as saying Central Europe is Sub-Saharaoid.
Posts: 1254 | From: howdy | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com