EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » ciLuba Maweeja Egyptian Ax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ciLuba Maweeja Egyptian Ax
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RELEASE DATE: Saturday November 6th.

TITLE: ciLuba Maweeja, Yorùbá òrìṣà, and Ancient Egyptian Ax: An exploratory etymological study (2021)

-

PRE-ORDER (U.S. Only): https://madundelapress.com/shop/books/ciluba-maweeja-yoru-ba-o-ri-a-and-ancient-egyptian

DESCRIPTION: The present text is an exploratory linguistic study with the objective of establishing an accurate etymology for the names for divinity Maweeja and òrìṣà/òrìsà among the Baluba and Yorùbá, respectively, using the historical comparative method. While these two names are common titles for the Divine or divinity in many West and Central African languages, a concise etymology has yet to be established for both terms. The present study seeks to fill in this gap by deducing the etymology based on comparative philology, a critical analysis of the thought and practice of the principal cultures under examination, as well as establishing the necessary sound ‘laws’ based on the regularity of sound-meaning correspondences between ciLuba, Yorùbá, and ancient Egyptian. Our conclusion is that Maweeja and òrìṣà are variations of the same historical lexeme. However, the term Maweeja may be a borrowing into ciLuba. We also note the various cognates and doublets in the ancient Egyptian language: e.g., Ax. This study helps to confirm the argument in Imhotep (2020a) that Africa, essentially, has a single semantax for “God,” rooted in a primo-lexeme for “limb; foot, leg” > “to propagate” > “to do, to make” > “god, spirit.”

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:
The name Madu-Ndela comes from the ciLuba-Bantu language of the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is a dialectical variant of the ancient Egyptian phrase md.w-nTr (medu-netcher), which is commonly defined as "God's words" or "the words of God."

Madu means "people", That's igbo, > ndi mmadu

Ndela is a common name in South Africa
It means motionless in one of Lala-Bisa dialects in Zambia and is the name of a mountain in Malawi

I have never seen Madu combined with Ndela.
Do you have a source for Madu-Ndela in DRC or somewhere else?

Posts: 42924 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your inquiry. My first question is why would you assume that the word /madu/ means "people" in the Igbo language, when you citing me explicitly stating that it is ciLuba (Tshiluba)? When did Igbo words become ciLuba? And in that same vein, how did you go all the way to south east Africa in Zambia to try to obtain the second word when it was clearly stated, in plain English, that it is ciLuba? For the life of me, why didn't you try the CILUBA language FIRST as it was the ACTUAL language mentioned in the very words you quoted from me? Help me make this make sense. . .

Let's start there before you ask another question.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
The name Madu-Ndela comes from the ciLuba-Bantu language of the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is a dialectical variant of the ancient Egyptian phrase md.w-nTr (medu-netcher), which is commonly defined as "God's words" or "the words of God."

Madu means "people", That's igbo, > ndi mmadu

Ndela is a common name in South Africa
It means motionless in one of Lala-Bisa dialects in Zambia and is the name of a mountain in Malawi

I have never seen Madu combined with Ndela.
Do you have a source for Madu-Ndela in DRC or somewhere else?

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. My first question is why would you assume that the word /madu/ means "people" in the Igbo language

come on, any Nigerian Igbo knows madu means person
Posts: 42924 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com