EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Excavated Dynastic Sculpture (Then and Now)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Excavated Dynastic Sculpture (Then and Now)
Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mighty Mack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statue of the Dwarf Seneb and his Family

Present location: EGYPTIAN MUSEUM [01/001]
Inventory number: JE 51280
Dating: 6TH DYNASTY
Archaeological Site: GIZA NECROPOLIS
Category: STATUE
Material: LIMESTONE
Technique: CARVED
Excavator: Hermann Junker, German, 1877–1962
Notes: From excavations of Hermann Junker. Registered in JE March 3, 1927.

Then
 -

Now
 -

This statue looks repainted. What do you guys think? Care to post more?

Posts: 535 | From: From the Darkest of the Abyss | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please put the identification information
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mighty Mack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
edited @Lioness
Posts: 535 | From: From the Darkest of the Abyss | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks,
read some of these

LINK

there could be a restoration record somewhere

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Mack:

This statue looks repainted. What do you guys think? Care to post more?

It could have been because that black and white one you posted looks like there is no color on the male's hair
also much or the females hair also. Where did you find that?

In various color photos on google images it's all filled in

and here is a high resolution
color photo

https://images.robertharding.com/preview/RM/RH/HORIZONTAL/120-726.jpg

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Standing Pair Statue from the Tomb of Ikhetneb

Present location: Hearst Museum, Berkeley
Inventory number: 6-19775
Dating: 4TH DYNASTY
Technique: SCULPTURED; PAINTED
Excavator: George Andrew Reisner
Date of Register Entry: 1903–1904

Then
 -

Now
 -

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
@Lioness Hey Lioness, Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the books i will look into it.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
http://giza.fas.harvard.edu/objects/54528/full/

-

I am convinced this has been repainted.
Look at the female's hair in the old photo,
clearly much of it has most most of it's paint
but some of the lower portion is still quite black.
But in recent color photos here hair is almost all black. (The lowest photo
is a decolorized version of the one above it, that is not an old one)

As we can see in the old phots at the top of the post, although paint can fade,
on a lot of these stone statues there is also a more dramatic
type of damage where layers of paint
seem to fallen off the surface of the sculpture in random pieces, like large flakes.
The result is an unpleasant patchy look.

High resolution color image:

https://images.robertharding.com/preview/RM/RH/HORIZONTAL/120-726.jpg

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Lioness, you are fast. You didnt even let me post to you first. [Frown]

also, for those who are using macs do Cmd + F to 'find on page'. [Wink]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
This appears to be stone
and painted, also 6th dynasty like the OP item
To me it looks like the paint is un-restored condition
More photos of the same, if you scroll down, takes a few seconds to load

https://wonderfuloldthings.wordpress.com/2017/10/12/hetepni-an-ancient-egyptian-tax-collector/

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Nice find. If you can find anymore details on the excavation of the statue please post.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another famous example.

Old Kingdom Seated Scribe from the Louvre:

Before
 -

Now
 -

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Here's another famous example.

Old Kingdom Seated Scribe from the Louvre:

Before
 -

Now
 -

I know you've pointed out the loss of "dark spots" on his body before, but I noticed the black base seems to have lost a lot of its color in the "after" image as well. What kind of cleaning job did they do to it?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Standing Pair Statue from the Tomb of Ikhetneb

Present location: Hearst Museum, Berkeley
Inventory number: 6-19775
Dating: 4TH DYNASTY
Technique: SCULPTURED; PAINTED
Excavator: George Andrew Reisner
Date of Register Entry: 1903–1904

Then
 -

Now
 -

If these are indeed the same pair of sculptures, then, holy fuck, that's some serious whitewashing, literally speaking. I dunno if it is deliberate, but it probably does present a misleading image of how these statues would have looked back then.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:

I know you've pointed out the loss of "dark spots" on his body before, but I noticed the black base seems to have lost a lot of its color in the "after" image as well. What kind of cleaning job did they do to it?

Exactamundo! I was just going to point that out as well.
quote:
If these are indeed the same pair of sculptures, then, holy fuck, that's some serious whitewashing, literally speaking. I dunno if it is deliberate, but it probably does present a misleading image of how these statues would have looked back then.
And this whole cleaning (bleaching) process with many painted statues has been going on for quite sometime as noted by Egyptologists like Ahmed Saleh. In fact I recall Wally citing quotes from Egyptologists of the 19th century admitting how some of their peers deliberately alter statues to their 'liking' and even the British accused the Germans who discovered the Nefertiti bust of doing a bleaching job on that artifact! So yeah, I believe it's deliberate and a conspiracy theory that's NOT relegated to "Afrocentrics" only! Even P. K. Manansala suspects alterations to statues not only by bleaching but also reconstructed noses and lips.
Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
[qb]

Exactamundo! I was just going to point that out as well.

-
Seated Scribe, Louvre

quote:
The statue was cleaned in 1998, although the process merely reduced the wax overpainting. This restoration brought out the well-conserved ancient polychromy.
--Louvre Museum

Suppose that is a lie, that they intentionally got rid of the remnants of a darker skin tone what is your guess as to the reason the top of the base of the statue in the older (I assume) picture
appears to be nearly solid black (or solid dark grey)
but in the lower photo it's very patchy, a lot of it's looking like raw stone with just some parts with the black still on it

why?

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Figurenpaar_Ägypten_Museum_Rietberg_RAG_1.jpg#/m

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would they need to whitewash those statues ? Their features aren't even black and I don't see a big difference between dark red and red. Also how can you believe that statues which are almost 5000 years would stay perfectly clean ?
Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

________________________________above, the male figure is dark in both versions

but below, a different sculpture, the male figure has lost it's color

-
Senenu (also: Sennuw) and wife
quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:
Why would they need to whitewash those statues ? Their features aren't even black and I don't see a big difference between dark red and red. Also how can you believe that statues which are almost 5000 years would stay perfectly clean ?

At top we have a picture with two photos
They are the same photo but one has the color removed in a photo editor to show how a color phot looks converted to black and white

But in the lower picture we don't see that same color to black and white relationship

Instead we see a "black featured" Egyptian couple, Senenu and his wife in an old actual black and white photo taken in the early 20th century
To the right of it in a later color photo perhaps taken around 100 years later the male figure has virtually no color on it.

If one were to argue the figures were direct and then cleaned we can already see in the old photo as is common in many of these couple statues the woman is lighter.
If the thing was dirty they would both be as dark as the male as well as their garments.
In the color version they also don't have the eyeball color

both versions, same sculpture different photos as above here:
http://giza.fas.harvard.edu/ancientpeople/2285/full/

How and why did that color disappear?
Did the owner of the statue not like the dark skin and have it removed?

We don't even have to discuss features. The color had nearly disappeared there is hardly any left and this in merely around 100 years. Something is peculiar here

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

We don't even have to discuss features. The color had nearly disappeared there is hardly any left and this in merely around 100 years. Something is peculiar here [/QB]

idk maybe a problem of preservation knowing that many egyptian artifacts were in fact part of illegal traffic or maybe that's simply a replica/mold of the original statue
Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

We don't even have to discuss features. The color had nearly disappeared there is hardly any left and this in merely around 100 years. Something is peculiar here

idk maybe a problem of preservation knowing that many egyptian artifacts were in fact part of illegal traffic or maybe that's simply a replica/mold of the original statue [/QB]
That is absolutely not a replica, I have linked the sources
There is a possibility it was accidently damaged
maybe by water.
Or it could have been intentionally scrubbed of color.

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
quote:
quote:

idk maybe a problem of preservation knowing that many egyptian artifacts were in fact part of illegal traffic or maybe that's simply a replica/mold of the original statue

That is absolutely not a replica, I have lined the sources
There is a possibility it was accidently damaged
maybe by water.
Or it could have been intentionally scrubbed of color. [/QB]

Why would they "intentionally" scrubbed the colors if they took a picture of the statue in its original state ?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
It's a good question
It seems to have been at Berkeley the whole time, I am not sure

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why would they need to whitewash those statues? Their features aren't even black and I don't see a big difference between dark red and red. Also how can you believe that statues which are almost 5000 years would stay perfectly clean?

And what pray tell are "black" features since again black refers to color NOT features.

Also, the Egyptian artistic scheme for men was reddish-BROWN and not "red" the complexion is best described a mahogany, though milk chocolate is not uncommon. These same complexions are also painted by Sub-Saharans further south in their artwork.

Lastly, the complaint we have is that when these statues are initially uncovered they have more paint intact then after they are "cleaned" up by the antiquity handlers.

Of course my questions are just prodding since I don't take anything you say seriously. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Also, the Egyptian artistic scheme for men was reddish-BROWN and not "red" the complexion is best described a mahogany, though milk chocolate is not uncommon. These same complexions are also painted by Sub-Saharans further south in their artwork.

the color of milk chocolate is brown not black
So if you call a Sub-Saharan who is the color of milk chocolate "black" we instantly know that the term "black" applied to a person does not correspond to accurate description

quote:

And what pray tell are "black" features since again black refers to color NOT features.

Dictionary definitions of "black" are deliberately vague as to avoid dispute
The common everyday use of the term "black" in America and Europe is defined as
"a person who resembles the majority of Africans in appearance, in skin color, hair type and facial features"

if your definition of black is "anyone with dark skin"
that is your personal definition not the common use definition.
"black" as used commonly in America and Europe is clearly a socio-political term that has more to it than just "any person with 'dark' skin"

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
cleaning on part of the temple in progress. After the cleaning is complete, the colors applied to it 2,200 years ago will be visible

https://www.livescience.com/colorful-ceiling-ancient-egyptian-temple

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dictionaries, like science, exist for a reason, non-reliance on the-man-in-the-street ignoramus for authority.

The black Bangladeshi and Tamils
The blueblack Andamanders
The negritos (little blacks) of the Philippines etc
The BlackFellas of Australia
The blacks of Papua (new Guineas - old Guineas are W African)
The black Oceania Melanesia (black islands) folk

When first encountering them Western (white) scientists classified them all as black, which they are.

Black cannot be pigeon-holed to Inner Africans only. Never was the case, and is not now the case except for those wanting to deny IAs of their non-color based identities. Inner Africans need be called by their nationality like other black peoples are, indeed as all peoples are.

Europeans aren't white. They range from pink to beige. Yet no ones harping about how wrong it is to call them white. Some see it a crime to call Inner Africans black regardless of actual complexion. We have the Inner African authored Tariks where Sahelians call themselves and those south of them black. And remember Sudan is just Arabic for blacks. Abyssinia was self renamed the Greek term Ethiopia meaning blacks which the Greeks applied to Africans below their 'Libya' and clear eastward to at least India.

I concur with DJ
Black is a broad scheme covering many dark human colors from pink-chocolate to Wolof black.
Negro however is a set of Western (white) defined facial features and hair textures applied to Africans immediately classified as ripe for enslavement. Slave trading Africans reputed the term negro for themselves while at the same time telling Europeans we can get you negroes after you pay us for them.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't even address the semantics of what is "black". My point is that the same brown complexion Egyptian (men) are portrayed in is used for many Sub-Saharans. Many Africans even in Sub-Sahara are not ebony or "Dinka" black as Antalas like to use as his straw doll.
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come black is semantic but white isn't? SMH.

C'mon DJ you posted many a time that Aeta little-negroes/Negritos are called blacks by your people though they are hardly black black skinned at all.
We who are black and chose that descriptor don't find nothing semantic about it nor will we be dictated by non-blacks arguments that it's a misnomer since the color ID appears in the oldest writings known from India Africa and Med Europe.

AE painted "sub Saharans"? What are the national/ethnic identities ofe these so-called SSAs? I'm here to learn as well as to teach and I have learned and accepted many of your teachings.

Nehesu were black skinned and they weren't "sub Saharan". Kush quite simply was adjacent to Sahra.

I dislike this term SSA it's just a euphemism for "negro African" and as I just showed black black Africans lived at Sahar latitudes.

SSA by dialectic makes Sahra and Mediterranean Africa one entity which they are not. Thus black accomplishments in Sahra are magically ceded to coastal phenotypes

Also black blacks have lived directly in Sahra since the early Holocene nor are all African blacks what they call negro in features.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Painted limestone pseudo-group statue depicting two figures of Penmeru,
his wife Meretites, his son Seshemnefer, and his daughter Neferseshemes

Present location: Harvard University—Boston Museum of Fine Arts
Inventory Number: 12.1484
Dating: Old Kingdom, 5th DYNASTY
Archaeological Site: GIZA NECROPOLIS, Mastaba G 2197
Technique: SCULPTURED
Notes: This object was excavated by the Harvard University–Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition,
but was not recorded in any object register book.

1912: Excavated by the Harvard University–Museum of Fine Arts Expedition;

1912: assigned to the MFA in the division of finds by the government of Egypt. (Accession Date: December 5, 1912)

Then
 -

Now
 -

-

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Penmeru Revisited—Giza Mastaba G 2197

Limestone Triad of Penmeru (MFA - 12.1504) from G 2197

Then

-

-

Now

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^^ description of the above

http://gizapyramids.org/static/pdf%20library/giza_mastabas/giza_mastabas_4/part_4_pages_24_to_27.pdf

quote:

Penmeru - G 2197

THE mastaba of Penmeru (G 2197) was excavated in To the earlier studies of text can now be added April, 1912.

MFA acc. no. 12.1504, H. 1.30 x W. 1.05 x Th..38 m. (pl. L). The second group statue of Penmeru represents the same individual three times with virtually the same attributes in each case except for the wig. Each stands with arms at the side holding the fisted cloth and wearing a short kilt extending to just above the knees with an overlap on the right over left, the horizontal belt knot, pleated tab diagonally on the left side of the navel, and the left foot advanced. The statues are not particularly differentiated in slenderness or corpulence, all three showing a similar development of the chest and the kilt hanging relatively low on the hips, below the navel.
The red color clearly seen in the first photographs has now faded completely;

-

another photo of the same statue at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston

https://collections.mfa.org/objects/140433/triad-of-penmeru
quote:

DESCRIPTION
Head of right figure missing; figures have short skirts to above knees, with loop fastened belt; inscriptions at feet of each figure. Representing Pen-meru in three Ka forms, left head without headdress, center head with large wig each in traditional pose with clenched fist and figure's left leg forward. Color remaining in parts.

a little bit showing on the leg
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

I want to go off topic here for a second.

Something I notice here that seems unrealistic in some of these family sculptures is you see the mother
light skinned and the father dark
in most cases both children male and female would be in most cases about 50% the color of each parent.
They would usually be somewhere in between, not as light as their mother or as dark as their father.
But here in the art, the female children are the same color as their mothers and the male children are the same color as their fathers.

I'm not saying that could never happen naturally
but it usually doesn't

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
 -

I want to go off topic here for a second.

Something I notice here that seems unrealistic in some of these family sculptures is you see the mother
light skinned and the father dark
in most cases both children male and female would be in most cases about 50% the color of each parent.
They would usually be somewhere in between, not as light as their mother or as dark as their father.
But here in the art, the female children are the same color as their mothers and the male children are the same color as their fathers.

I'm not saying that could never happen naturally
but it usually doesn't

It was common for women in AE art to be colored with yellow skin. We don't know why for sure, but it may have had some symbolism. DJ has suggested it might be connected to women putting on yellow makeup in some North and Northeast African societies today, and I think that makes sense.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Anyone have any excavation information on this statue of Amenemhat III from the Neues Museum?

-
Image from Sebastian Niedlich @ FLICKR

-
Image from Jørgen Carlsen @ FLICKR

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
the above Amenemhat III is 17551
according to:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24729615@N00/11224920375

part of a series of several similar sculptures "The Karnak series" but not all in the same museum

read page
280 and 536

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Visualizing_Coregency/vNjaDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

Visualizing Coregency
An Exploration of the Link Between Royal Image and Co-Rule During the Reign of Senwosret III and Amenemhet III
By Lisa Saladino Haney · 2020

I have noticed when researching Amenemhat II and III in the past that sometimes different sources will have the same sculpture but some might deem it II, others III

Below, these are all supposedly III
but I'm not sure how sure the' museums are between
Amenemhat II and III
The one on the left has an unbelievably huge ear but the rest looks believably human
 -

-
Amememhat III
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenemhat_III#/media/File:Amenemhet_III,_basalto,_seconda_metà_del_XIX_sec._ac._01.JPG

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
quote:
 -

@lioness
The nose on the right of the statue looks retouched or restored. Look at the bridge from the nasal root. It looks like an addition. I will try to find a picture of this sculpture when excavated and post it.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

nose bridges on these two look similar on these two from Karnak (left one same as right one in previous post, at Luxor museum )

-

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Here is the same statue from legrain 1906

Then
 -
https://www.ifao.egnet.net/bases/cachette/ck134

Now
 -

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
 -

^ The above example is very disturbing. It wasn't just the skin color of the male that has completely faded but the yellowish skin color of the female and even their jewelry and eyebrows and pupils.

This is why it's no longer just a conspiracy but a fact that ancient artwork is purposefully being altered, actually damaged. Since there's no way such a "clean up" job that airbrushes the original coloring is unintentional.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Here is the same statue from legrain 1906

Then

What is the link for this ?
And do they have other angles?

Also please put some captioning
under those photos, just at least with this text we have in the posts

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

In my opinion either paint was scrubbed off/removed chemically
OR it came off naturally after the tomb became exposed to air flow, brittle paint coming off over the decades.

You can see on the older photo on the left and in many colored sculptures, light spots of flaked off paint where the raw stone color is underneath (lighter here) like on his nose tip, around the eyebrows, on his left arm, also parts of the Usekh (collar) pattern are missing, flaked off
Could this flaking off have happened to the drastic extent we see here over this hundred or so year period ? I don't know, that needs further research on ancient paint conditions and the background of this particular piece, the conditions

-

There could be fading but you can't tell from the photo but what you can see is more drastic than fading. We can see his
original dark color on his lower torso and arms but on his shoulders and head we can see extensive flaking off of paint, most of the sculpture there is down to the raw stone.
Most of the black of her hair is gone, flaked off to raw stone. Artists may have also used varying paint ingredients

I'm not sure how delicate the remaining paint is there, how much vulnerability to things like moving it around or new airflow or heat humidity differences that might case the deterioration of the paint later at a faster rate after being excavated.
I have to admit that top before and after of Senenu does looks suspect, you can't even see and color left on the eyeballs. The piece could have sustained water damage or somebody might have thought it looked better unpainted and intentionally removed paint (although if so they left a little-why?). If it was done intentionally it could be racially motivated or it could just making it look more like classical Greek and Roman sculptures looked, unpainted (although some of those may have been originally painted also).

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

https://archive.org/details/StatuesEtStatuettesDeRoisEtDeParticuliers.v.30/page/n121/mode/1up

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
@Mighty Mack there are a lot of good pictures in these Legrain books, look

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"G.+Legrain%3B+Henri+Hauthier

If you click on one of these volumes, then on the lower right pick that page layout of 4 boxes
("thumbnail view")
then you have thumbnails of every page at once, scroll down to see where the photos are
The photos are unmarked as to which kings they are
but there is a small 5 digit catalog number below each photo. The text describes each one on numerical order in the text section.
I recommend if you post any, add to them a caption graphically with the proper info. This way if somebody copies them the proper information is attached to the photo

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
@Lioness thanks for the archive, i will add to my list for future searching. also, here is the site where i found the image of the statue.

i think G.legrain only took one shot because i cannot find anymore angle shots of the statue.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
@Lioness thanks for the archive, i will add to my list for future searching. also, here is the site where i found the image of the statue.

i think G.legrain only took one shot because i cannot find anymore angle shots of the statue.

my post of the three photos has the link to the Legrain book and yes, there was only this same one photo

https://archive.org/details/StatuesEtStatuettesDeRoisEtDeParticuliers.v.30/page/n121/mode/1up

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

We can see this is the same crack across the chest
in all photos
At C we see it has an angle pointing down and a second narrower crack comes down from that vertically.
On photo 2 you can see that but it's faint.

However on photo 1 (1906) we see the wide opening of the wide crack on the arm at A. That seems to be completely filled in on 2 and 3.
Also on photo 1 at B there is a crack on the headcloth. It's hard to tell but that looks filled in on the other two

I think they have put some filling material in the cracks but choose not to fill them entirely

On photo 3 which is basically the same as photo 2 but a different angle we can see that outward curve of the nose and that is similar
to some different statues of Amenemhat (although the overall nose slightly wider)
But on old photo 1 the nose seems to do the opposite, to dip down lower in the middle
but the angle of the photo is a little different, hard to be sure, the camera angle is looking a little more from a lower vantage point and looking more upward at the statue

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
left, post-restored statue, Chicago___________________________________right, similar sculpture in Cairo Museum

Two Twin Statues of Tutankhamun. Chicago / Cairo

At the Oriental Institute of Chicago, the nearly 75,000 annual visitors have the opportunity to marvel at the sight of the colossal statue of King Tutankhamun.

This fantastic sculptural work from the 18th dynasty shows a colossal statue of Tutankhamun (usurped successively by Ay and Horemheb) in polychrome quartzite. It is 525 cm high. (17.22 feet)

Egypt kept possession of the best-preserved statue (photo above on right) and gave the other to the American Institute (which was since restored - on the left above at the Oriental Institute now known as ISAC )

-
Colossal statue of Tutankhamun. Oriental Institute of Chicago. Pre-Restored upper part of the statue

-
Restoration process of the statue of Tutankhamun at the Oriental Institute. Oriental Institute of Chicago.

-
Colossal statue of Tutankhamun. Oriental Institute of Chicago. Restored version

-
similar Colossal statue of Tutankhamun. Cairo Museum
(same as right figure, top of post)
-seems to have it's original nose
This was used as a guide for the Chicago restoration
of the other statue

https://historicaleve.com/two-twin-statues-of-tutankhamun-chicago-cairo/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com