EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Race and Identity in Ancient Egypt: Towards an etymology of the placename Kmt (2023) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Race and Identity in Ancient Egypt: Towards an etymology of the placename Kmt (2023)
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:

I would encourage you to study the written language and how to properly transliterate the graphemes. The seated man and woman and the three strokes are not pronounced. So you don't say km.wt. And this would apply to rmT as as well. There is no, rmT.jw as rmT "people; personnel" [Wb 2, 422.13-423.18] is already plural. It is a by-form of the word rmT.t  - which a collective. That is the role of the three strokes classifier in this case. The three strokes classifier is often accompanied by the -t or -w suffix in the primary word.

So you have to learn how to read classifiers and what the role of the classier is. There is a grammar to the classifiers. This is discussed in the upcoming journal article. And if you want to know how to properly read and decipher rmT, I highly encourage you to read the Introduction of Aaluja Vol. II (2020) as it is discussed there.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

rmtyw n KMt:niwt shows rmt alone
doesn't always denote Egyptian
though ethnocentric rmt rmtyw
does.

KMt rmtyw is peculiar to Egyptians
though an occasional use may include
Nehesi under the KMt:niwt umbrella.

Vygus Erman&Grapow Faulkner
can't find no digitized Hannig [Frown]
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:

The Egyptians never referred to themselves as Km.tyw. This term was only reserved for those who lived in the city Km.t-Wr.t "Athribis."

So what was the name the Egyptians used to refer to themselves as a people or ethnos??

By the way, excellent work with your guest interviews. -

@Asar, so the above image with the hand written script, that's The Worterbuch by Erman and Grapow,
So that glyph in the lower right hand corner of p 127
is their modern transliteration into glyphs from hieratic script on papyrus?

Posts: 42938 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

@Asar, so the above image with the hand written script, that's The Worterbuch by Erman and Grapow,
So that glyph in the lower right hand corner of p 127
is their modern transliteration into glyphs from hieratic script on papyrus?

You're looking at it. It is simply Km.t. Again, I have a full discussion on this glyph, it's usage, and possible interpretation based on the grammar. I would encourage you to also take a basic course in hieroglyphs so you can learn how to read and transliterate the glyphs. I recommend the following:

-

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Read-Egyptian-Hieroglyphs-Step-Step/dp/B00KE59QSS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GL0LA4NTYX2&keywords=teach+yourself+hieroglyph&qid=1692036979&s=books&sprefix=teach+yourse lf+hieroglyph%2Cstripbooks%2C113&sr=1-3

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-
https://ia904703.us.archive.org/28/items/hieraticpapyrifr00grifuoft/hieraticpapyrifr00grifuoft.pdf

still not sure where I6 is here, line 14, 6th from right?

Posts: 42938 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@lioness

First, download and study the hieratic script. Here is a good introduction:

https://www.egyptologyforum.org/bbs/Stableford/Roberson,%20A_Very_Brief_Introduction_to_Hieratic.pdf

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
@lioness

Now, when you go to page 3 of the text you can see it better. Here is the hieroglyphic form:

-

How here it is in the hieratic script:

-

Now, I have taken the time to box in red where you can find the word Km.t in the hieratic. You see it there twice. But I also highlighted, in BLUE, the seated man and woman classifiers that you see behind the hieratic form of the I6 glyph with the X1 [ t ] glyph right under it.

I hope this helps.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
thanks
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

@Asar
 -
I notice if we look at niwt O49 on the actual walls it would be easy enough to have two thick lines intersecting one another but on the wall here, and I've seen it before, this is kind of flaring in parts, jagged looking. It would be very sloppy if it is intended as two roads or waterways bisecting one another

also take a look at my new thread my new thread
Use of the word KMT (Egypt) in Ptolemaic texts

Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
A full chapter (Chapter 2) is dedicated to this discussion in my text.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
 -

@Asar
 -
I notice if we look at niwt O49 on the actual walls it would be easy enough to have two thick lines intersecting one another but on the wall here, and I've seen it before, this is kind of flaring in parts, jagged looking. It would be very sloppy if it is intended as two roads or waterways bisecting one another

also take a look at my new thread my new thread
Use of the word KMT (Egypt) in Ptolemaic texts

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tukuler made a very interesting point with that post about rmtyw n Kmt-niwt vs. rt n rmt. There were various people included under the umbrella of Kmt-niwt who were not ethnically 'Egyptian'. In the same way that in ancient Greece, not everyone labeled 'Hellene' (Greek) was necessarily ethnic Hellene. Asar, what do you make of the ethnic origins of the Egyptians I believe the original Kmtyu identity originated with the Shemawy (Upper Egyptians) however I believe that they possess a dual ancestry-- Anu and Mesenitu according to their recorded legends.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

It's easy enough to make lines crossing one another (left) but the glyph doesn't look like that

-

I don't know what this could be
It flares out

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Starting with the bird from left, I can read akhwt niwt dshrt, akhw p'khd.

Something about the ancestral land of country of the red crown and ancestral illumination?

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com