EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Deshret.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Colorlines in Classical North Africa (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Colorlines in Classical North Africa
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
Lioness,

why are you no longer a mod?

^^ Yeah mods, this dude has asked this about 40 times in various threads
send this thick piece of wood the answer to his question in his mailbox because I'm not going to be,
has nothing to do with the topic
what, just drop by every few weeks?
I guess that is the definition of a mod on Egyptsearch

also stupid thread titles in Kemet forum are allowed, for instance " Whites Pretend You Can’t Read Meroitic Script Of Nübia"

So now "Blacks pretend" etc etc, pick any "race" or "pretenders" is a valid thread title ?
Out to lunch moderation, allowing this

Posts: 42937 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 42937 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lioness why are you so hostile? I have never seen you type like this before.

"I guess that is the definition of a mod on egyptsearch"

No doubt you were the best mod this site has ever seen, trolling and derailing threads left and right almost everyday for over a decade

You tell 'em how it's supposed to be done!

Posts: 2542 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-

wikipedia

Macrobians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrobians

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[qb] ^ There is a difference between the Greek word Mελανο (Melano)--black and Mέλι (Meli)-- honey.

I entered "μελάγχροες" into a Greek-to-Latin transliterator and I got "melankroes", so I see you are right.

The next step is to go into google books
and type this

μελάγχροες -Herodotus

we already have seen the Herodotus usage of the word. Thus adding - (minus) next to Herodotus
as above just the dash symbol
will show the results excluding the many Herodotus' Colchis/Egyptian quote references (and I think he uses the word only this once)

However with the Herodotus results excluded
there are many results of old books that come up with the word in other ancient Greek writing
and these often have PDF format option
So first you look at in "read" and note the page number, and instance of μελάγχροες
then back out, go to the PDF where it can be copied and pasted and put the page into a translator

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
What does eventual human remains and aDNA say about the descendancy and phenotype of the Colchians? Have there been any aDNA studies? And what can be read from the DNA of todays inhabitants of the area?

Elmaestro might know. This paper does have some aDNA samples from the Bronze Age Caucasus, but none of them appear to be from the area of ancient Colchis (i.e. they are almost all north of the Greater Caucasus Mountains, whereas Colchis was to the southeast of those).

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
What does eventual human remains and aDNA say about the descendancy and phenotype of the Colchians? Have there been any aDNA studies? And what can be read from the DNA of todays inhabitants of the area?

The Herodotus quote

quote:

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Herodotus/2b*.html

Herodotus, The Histories, with an English translation by A. D. Godley. Cambridge. Harvard University Press. 1920.

HERODOTUS
p385 Book II: chapters 99‑182

For it is plain to see that the Colchians are Egyptians; and what I say, I myself noted before I heard it from others. When it occurred to me, I inquired of both peoples; and the Colchians remembered the Egyptians better than the Egyptians remembered the Colchians; [2] the Egyptians said that they considered the Colchians part of Sesostris' army. I myself guessed it, partly because they are dark-skinned and woolly-haired; though that indeed counts for nothing, since other peoples are, too; but my better proof was that the Colchians and Egyptians and Ethiopians are the only nations that have from the first practised circumcision. [3] The Phoenicians and the Syrians of Palestine acknowledge that they learned the custom from the Egyptians, and the Syrians of the valleys of the Thermodon and the Parthenius, as well as their neighbors the Macrones, say that they learned it lately from the Colchians. These are the only nations that circumcise, and it is seen that they do just as the Egyptians. [4] But as to the Egyptians and Ethiopians themselves, I cannot say which nation learned it from the other; for it is evidently a very ancient custom. That the others learned it through traffic with Egypt, I consider clearly proved by this: that Phoenicians who traffic with Hellas cease to imitate the Egyptians in this matter and do not circumcise their children.

Again, this part

quote:
For it is plain to see that the Colchians are Egyptians; and what I say, I myself noted before I heard it from others. When it occurred to me, I inquired of both peoples; and the Colchians remembered the Egyptians better than the Egyptians remembered the Colchians;the Egyptians said that they considered the Colchians part of Sesostris' army.
So it was plain for him to see that the Colchians are Egyptians
So he's claiming he says this, even before he heard it from others
So he was up by the North West Black Sea and he sees Egyptians there?

-so he inquired to the Egyptians and the Colchians
about this.
The Egyptians didn't remember anything about it
but the Colchians did
However, the Egyptians said
they considered the Colchians part of Sesostris' army.

Sounds like he was drunk when wrote this

There is a lot more on this page he says about the Egyptians, the above is chapter 104

so within these chapters
Egypt/Egyptians is mentioned 185 times
read the whole thing,

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Herodotus/2b*.html

HERODOTUS
p385 Book II: chapters 99‑182

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
Lioness,

why are you no longer a mod?

Stay on topic. First warning. And stop harassing members in different threads. I'm also entertaining moving this thread to the Deshret.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com