EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Royal Mausoleum of Mauretania in Algeria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Royal Mausoleum of Mauretania in Algeria
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Royal Mausoleum of Mauretania is a tomb in Algeria where the Numidian King Juba II and his Queen Cleopatra Selene II were buried around 3 BC. Anyone else think the structure kinda looks like a commonplace African mud hut? It has the conical topping and a cylindrical base with columns along the side, much as many African huts have conical roofs and cylindrical walls with posts holding up the roof edges.

-

To be sure, many different cultures around the world have built huts like that, including European ones like the Celtic Britons. Even if there is no direct connection between the Numidian mausoleum and the huts you see elsewhere in Africa, however, it would make sense to me if the mausoleum's architectural elements drew upon an earlier tradition of hut-like dwellings, either in the Northwest African region or elsewhere.

This is an artistic reconstruction of a typical Numidian dwelling, by the way.
 -

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like this specific hut is from Niger

-

Niger tours and holiday packages

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2683 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Kabyles or Kabaily of Algerian and Tunisian territories…besides tillage, work the mines contained in their mountains…They live in huts made of branches of trees and covered with clay which resemble the Magalia of the old Numidians…They are of middle stature, their complexion brown and sometimes nearly black.-- from The Encyclopedia Britannica: Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General Literature Henry G. Allen Company p. 261 Volume I 1890

As far as large round building constructions another example would be the great royal hall at Kerma.

-

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ May I ask what is significant about that excerpt from Leo Africanus? I don't see where it mentions their dwelling types.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old grass palaces and tombs in Buganda also had a circular form, but their roofs went down all the way to the ground.

-
Exterior and interior of Bugandan Kasubi tombs

--------------------

Posts: 2683 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:

^ May I ask what is significant about that excerpt from Leo Africanus? I don't see where it mentions their dwelling types.

It was a reference to the ethnography of the area (and not just skin color). Numidians were one of various groups in the area.

--------------------

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:

It was a reference to the ethnography of the area (and not just skin color). Numidians were one of various groups in the area.
I think the term "Numidian" evolved from a Greek word for "nomad", so they might have started out a collection of many different groups to begin with.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

As far as large round building constructions another example would be the great royal hall at Kerma.

-

Fascinating reconstruction. Would be an excellent environment for a movie. One can wonder if Hollywood ever will make a film set in ancient "Nubia", in Kerma, Napata or Meroe. Seems that for them the Nile valley is only Egypt.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ You're unfortunately right. There most people in America (other than black Americans) have never even heard of Nubia.

By the way, I do remember many years ago when I was in high school watching a program on Discovery Channel or its sister channel Travel Channel that featured CGI restorations of ancient sites and Kerma was one of them. I wish I could find a link to that video.

Meantime here is clip from the show Expedition Unknown where the host Josh Gates is shown the site of Kerma:

https://www.facebook.com/Discovery/videos/welcome-to-kerma-josh-gates-expedition-unknown/3166187937012482/

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Also in the TV program Lost Kingdom of the Black Pharaohs they have reconstructions of Kerma.

There is a thread about that TV show

-
The reconstruction of Kerma in "Lost Kingdom of the Black Pharaohs"

Lost Kingdom of the Black Pharaohs on YouTube

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com