EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Bloggers and laymen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bloggers and laymen
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to take the work of bloggers and laymen who run data from genetic studies into through genetic calculator programs, serious when they have no archaeology, linguistic, nor bio-anthropological data to back it up. Those computer programs spit out results as they try to twist the other disciplines to suit the genetic results. Genetics isn't the tell all that people make it out to be.
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please add more to the OP to incite discussion
//MOD

Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, and there was also a recent study that came out about 2 years ago I think. It concluded that professional geniticists do this as well. They use an extremely flawed method to make the data say and represent what they want it to (and the crazy part is that they all know this.) Up to 215,000 genetic papers were supposedly affected.
Posts: 2493 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
I agree, and there was also a recent study that came out about 2 years ago I think. It concluded that professional geniticists do this as well. They use an extremely flawed method to make the data say and represent what they want it to (and the crazy part is that they all know this.) Up to 215,000 genetic papers were supposedly affected.

quote:

LET ME KNOW if any of you want to set up a LIVE discussion/dialogue with one of these professionals instead of typing back and forth everyday on Egypt Search. No need to even mention me anymore, let's see you go after some actual Ph.Ds and well known scholars/professionals who possess authority in the professional genetics community....

I'm literally offering the opportunity for you or anyone else to have a discussion with actual geneticists and/or professionals from the genetics community who do say it's true

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Nothing contradictory about either of those statements. If anyone who holds to genetic methodology as it is, wants to discuss a geneticist's paper/conclusions with them then that can be done. If you subscribe to genetics then what's the problem? It's a bold thing to claim that an actual geneticist with decades of experience is wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
We all believe that DNA analysis is legitimate but you don't
So what are you even doing here?

If you think genetics is bullshit that should be your ongoing position, not saying that and then trying to present it like it's not bullshit, stop the flim flam

I've made it clear that I don't subscribe to genetics and only use it to point out how almost any genetic narrative can be affirmed or rejected. And also because the genetic timeline is based on evolution and does not align with the Biblical narrative. I've literally stated this like 4-5 times in the other thread. You know my position on genetics, and you yourself acknowledged that you subscribe to it, so if you subscribe to it but at the same time want to say an actual geneticist is wrong then you should be able to talk to them and explain how/why they are wrong, the same way you try to tell me they are wrong, with the same hostile energy that you give me when I reference them.

I don't believe in greek mythology but if I'm referencing a notable professional(s) in the field to prove a point, and someone is being hostile + telling me all day 24/7 that the professional is wrong, then that person should be able to give that same energy to the actual professional, especially if the professional is willing to discuss.

Claiming that I need to believe in something in order to discuss it is completely illogical and irrational, and it seems like it's your silly way of trying to silence me from making good points.

Posts: 2493 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

I'm not going to explain this to you again @the lioness, and I'm no longer going to dignify your comments with responses. I get "warnings" and threatened with bans and accused of spamming when I respond to you yet nothing happens to you. If I'm what you try to make me out to be then there's no reason you should even be engaging me in the first place.
Tazarah
Member # 23365

Eran Elhaik (born 1980) is an Israeli-American geneticist and bioinformatician, and an associate professor of bioinformatics at Lund University in Sweden. His research uses computational, statistical, epidemiological and mathematical approaches to fields such as complex disorders, population genetics, personalised medicine, molecular evolution, genomics, paleogenomics and epigenetics.

Dr. Eran Elhaik at the 1:00:00 mark of this video:

https://youtu.be/ijFJq2TSEhk?si=dscdAGrfJJ8-QlRF

"Don't be mistaken, there are thousands and tens of thousands of skeletons, the data are not the problem. The existence of skeletons that show the whole history of Israel, from all the region, it exists. It's hidden at some university in a core basement, but it's there. They're not being released because there are political pressures. Just imagine, just for the sake of argument that tomorrow you're releasing the skeletons that you collected in Jerusalem and they're all coming up E1b1.

Do you see the ashkenazi rabbi standing on the stage and explaining to the people 'well we have rights to this temple', that's not happening. Right?...."

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
https://youtu.be/ijFJq2TSEhk?si=dscdAGrfJJ8-QlRF

39,856 views in about 4 months on a Hebrew Israelite youtube channel, soft selling test kits from a private company this geneticist works for in the guise of a discussion

what if 2% of the viewers bought one of the test kits based on watching the video?

39,856 X 2% = 797+

797 buyers, suppose they bought just one tribe test for $119.99

797 X $119.99 = $95,632

or 1% = $47, 816

lots of money potential for this disguised infomercial
quote:
I agree, and there was also a recent study that came out about 2 years ago I think. It concluded that professional geneticists do this as well. They use an extremely flawed method to make the data say and represent what they want it to (and the crazy part is that they all know this.) Up to 215,000 genetic papers were supposedly affected.

imagine if there is also a direct profit motive
quote:
Video.."just imagine just for the sake of arguments the more you're
releasing all the the the the the the the skeletons that you collected in Jerusalem and they're all coming up E1B1"

that's where he wets the appetite for religious black people to buy his test kits "just imagine" there's a conspiracy
> but he has the secret truth hidden from yall (prices start at $120)

He's suggests the Israelites were E1b1 without proof, Natufians are mentioned but he's careful not to point out E1b1b (with that extra b on the end) and he pretends Ashkenazis don't carry E1b1b but various researchers estimate 16-23% of them do (although the haplogroup of the Israelites is unknown)
Why leave out this information? Because in this video he's selling to African Americans and he seems to have some general agenda to render Ashkenazi Jews as fakes and sell kits to primarily West Africans in this particular video (although looking at the tribe pictures he can market to other demograhics as well)

If most AAs came up E1b1a on a Y-DNA tests he can't get away with making the connection, mtDNA might be even more of a disconnect
So this test is only autosomal, haplogroups are not even tested
And he ridiculous claims he can identify a person being descendant of a specific tribes of the Israelites (Lie)
> a way to get people to buy one of 13 tribe tests, randomly guess what tribe they think they might be in, this is shameless marketing

Imagine that the Israelites were all of one haplogroup. Now think of all the people that would be in that haplogroup but would not be Israelites.
In this sense it doesn't matter if one is of hap E1b1 or of Hap J or T
the Israelites would only be a tiny fraction of all the people in that haplogroup.
Same with autosomal DNA but results from autosomal are more open to interpretation, percentage breakdowns, and with the test by this company Ancient Origins DNA (Elhaik's methods) lying to people that they are of a particular Israelite tribe (try to find an article supporting this nonsense)

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

Tens of thousands of ancient Israelite skeletons being hidden from the public..... for "political reasons".
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's hard to take the work of bloggers and laymen who run data from genetic studies into through genetic calculator programs, serious when they have no archaeology, linguistic, nor bio-anthropological data to back it up. Those computer programs spit out results as they try to twist the other disciplines to suit the genetic results. Genetics isn't the tell all that people make it out to be.
I don't think of those bloggers as qualified to talk about anthropology at all. They're more like participants in a fandom. Even the bloggers or tweeters with the most influence on the fandom often have little in the way of credentials, they just tell the fandom what it wants to hear.

Anthropology, by the way, is not the only discipline with a fandom like this. In my experience, the paleontology fandom is very much the same. You have all these tweeters, bloggers, and artists saying stuff about dinosaurs or other prehistoric creatures that earns them fandom clout, but either has little support from the paleontological literature at all or is at most a topic of disagreement among credentialed paleontologists.

Getting back to topic, I don't even think the aDNA researchers who publish papers even have many anthropological or archaeological credentials at all. Their main skill is using sophisticated computer software. I don't think the people who wrote and published that infamous paper on the Abusir el-Meleq sample knew jack shit about the physical anthropology of ancient Egypt (especially the predynastic populations), for example.

In the end, you need a multidisciplinary approach to answer a lot of the questions we ask on this forum. Even academia has a problem of many of its contributors being too specialized in their fields of study to have an informed opinion on topics outside their field. An Egyptologist who studies ancient Egyptian literature isn't going to have much to say on biological anthropology or even the archaeology of prehistoric cultures in the eastern Sahara, for example.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems Eran Elhaik is a somewhat controversial person and his results and theories are sometimes contested by other researchers. He seems also be involved in a lot of back and forth discussions with other scientists. There is a page where some people made a compilation of some of his discussions and correspondence with others. It has several links to his and others articles, letters and other writings

quote:
The following timeline documents interactions between Eran Elhaik, some of the contributors to this website and various academic colleagues. This page is a work in progress and we welcome any additions and corrections.
Eran Elhaik Timeline

Regarding skeletons, there is a pressure from Orthodox Jews that when human remains (especially such remains that can be suspected to be Hebrew or Jewish) are found then they are to be reburied as soon as possible. That makes it sometimes hard for archaeologists and anthropologists to make more thorough examinations, and to collect those samples that are necessary for genetic analyzes and similar.

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

All researchers get contested. If being contested means their research is illegitimate then you guys need to start throwing out all research that has been contested.

Regarding the skeletons, he said they were being hidden for political reasons. Not religious reasons.

If they are being held in a basement at a university, clearly they are not even buried to begin with nor are they buried right now as we speak.

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the reburial issue has been a problem in Israel for quite a long time. Even when I went in college we heard about it, when we studied about archaeological praxis in other countries. Also collections which are in museum storage are contested, and demands from religious groups are forwarded to rebury them.

quote:
There are several reasons for this. Firstly, well-preserved DNA is harder to find in the hot Middle Eastern climes. But this technical issue was partly overcome by the 2015 discovery that the petrous bone, a part of the skull located behind the ear, contains a much higher concentration of DNA than other bones, meaning that at least some genetic material may survive in it even in warmer weather.

That game-changing revelation allowed scientists to shed light on everything from the genetic history of the earliest Neolithic farmers in Anatolia to the origins of the Philistines, the biblical enemies of the Israelites. But not much headway had been made on the ancient Hebrews.

That has been partly because of the rarity of ancient Hebrew graves and largely because in Judaism, excavating or disturbing graves is a big taboo. Particularly in Israel, human remains are not considered antiquities by law, and archaeologists who find ancient graves are often pressured by ultra-Orthodox groups to quickly rebury any bones they unearth.

In First, Archaeologists Extract DNA of Ancient Israelites - HAARETZ

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

Arch, I understand what you are saying but I don't think you read my last comment
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
It seems Eran Elhaik is a somewhat controversial person and his results and theories are sometimes contested by other researchers.

It's very peculiar how a scientist would go on a religious youtube channel trying to make scientific arguments that Ashkenazis have no connection to Israel
on the same Hebrew Israelite channel claiming that that West Africans are the Israelites on the basis of biblical verses!
DL to sell DNA kits

Tazarah
Member # 23365

^ Do you know if Elhaik has gone on any other channels or dialogued with anyone else? Or are you just assuming it was only an Israelite/Religious channel?

Sounds like you are a little mad about something.

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This goes for bloggers and laymen

-
 -

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elijah The Tishbite:

That is an understatement. The problem is that these Euronuts are running wild posting these genetic distance calculations without any context. It is a fact that how different populations are related to each other depends on both their time of divergence from most recent common ancestors and the amount of geneflow that occurs between them i.e. interbreeding. This is why different Eurasian populations relate to each other differently, but the same is especially true of Africans who being the oldest human populations have the greatest genetic diversity due to number of population divergences within the continent. So what the Eurocentric-racists do is pigeonhole populations in Africa and then attempt to racialize these populations by for example, identifying the common Sub-Saharan autosomal IBD marker with "true negroid" morphology while identifying the ENF/Natufian marker that is allegedly "Eurasian" with caucasoid morphology. This is the exact modus-operandum that the troll Antalas uses. But this type of approach is fallacious and was debunked years ago by the likes of Ethiohelix in his article here: Human Genetic Diversity ≠ Discrete or Pure Races

Some of these ancestral populations were possibly even as distinct from each other as the San are from modern West-Central Africans *(time divergence appears greater than the time-divergence between West-Central Africans and the Han-Chinese, and genetic drift (based on Fst) is comparable to the drift between the Han-Chinese and the English)*.

Groups that would count as "Negroids" within Africa should also not be seen as some sort of genetic monolith. They're not... And even the old racialist model didn't truly imply as much. There's often a West-Central African cluster ("Niger-Congo" above) and an East African-cluster ("Nilo-Saharan" above) in ADMIXTURE runs, for instance. The Fst between these two clusters, as an example, is a little over 1/2 the Fst between the East Asian and European clusters above.

Also, based on Haplotypic data, the time divergence between some of these "African" ancestries (i.e. the African elements in Somalis and the African elements in Yorubas) implies they possibly haven't shared ancestry in over 30,000-40,000 years or so which is comparable to the, so far, supposed time-divergence between ENAs and the ancestors of European Hunter-Gatherers.

This is how Euronuts are able to misrepresent accurate results from their genetic distance runs with not just Egyptians but even Nubians like with the Bronze Age Pre-Kerma sample from Kadruka.

-

but then

-

Which means Germans are as genetically closer to modern day Nubians than are south Sudanese or West Africans. Which then begs the question why? What could pool black Nubians of North Africa with white Germans of Europe or rather Western Eurasia? Again from Ethiohelix:

Instead, none of these West Eurasian populations are separate/discrete races from one another. They in fact share very recent ancestry from, for now, what look to be three or so core pre-historic populations. Villabruna-related West Eurasian Hunter-Gatherers (VHGs a.k.a "WHGs"), Ancient North Eurasian-related peoples (ANEs) *and the theoretical "Basal Eurasians"*.

They are, in large part, the product of admixture and not simply genetic drift where there was a Population X and then Populations Y and Z descend from it, were separate for a long time, then developed different mutations that altered the genotypes and phenotypes of a few of them, and then went through natural selection and genetic drift to select for those traits and become distinct entities.

Note the 3rd core ancestry of West Eurasians being "Basal Eurasian" which many geneticists are seriously considering to be of African origin. Swenet made note of the skeletal evidence of this in his blog article Why Basal Eurasian is Still African as of Lazaridis et al 2016. There he points out traits that are African even "negroid" in many Mesolithic to Neolithic remains including EEF skeletons in Europe even Germany such as Stuttgart and Muhlhausen.

Brace's 2005 map
"These non metric attributes all support the view that most of the Neolithic inhabitants of Europe tie more closely together with each other than with the living representatives of the areas in question. The principal exception to this generalization is [...] the Muhlhausen sample, which ties closer metrically to the living inhabitants of the Middle East and North Africa."

The excerpt above describes the North Africa-affiliated "Muhlhausen" LBK sample [Brace et al 2005]. This is the exact same sample Lazaridis et al 2013 would turn to almost ten years later, to sample the now infamous "Basal Eurasian" carrier—Stuttgart. But those who've convinced themselves that the Stuttgart individual is merely an odd looking individual in an otherwise perfectly European looking population, are in for a big surprise.

Which means Germans have African admixture from the Neolithic!

Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You made a great point, people treating these ancestry clusters as pure races when most of those components are actually mixed to begin with and I didn't know about that Mulhausen sample, wow!
Posts: 2595 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another example of Eurasionut twisting.

quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:

I would have no problem with "white" if it's restricted to Europeans since most of them form a coherent and homogeneous cluster. The same way I have no problem with "black" if it's restricted to Africans with no or negligible amount of Eurasian ancestry.

Yet the labels "white" and "black" are based on color or physical appearance NOT ancestry.

Which is why Antalas's people who despite being Africans are considered 'white' because of the way they look.

-
 -

Although they are found in coastal Northwestern Africa and skeletally and genetically are an extension of Europeans despite their African admixture.

Meanwhile you have 100% Eurasians with NO recent African ancestry who look like the following.

-

-

-

So these people are somehow not 'black'?! LOL

But to the point...

quote:
As for Ethiopians, I did not lie :

Here you can see Afar are closer to Italians than west Africans (even closer to French):

-

Same for Tigray:

-

or Amhara:

-

Let's not even talk about how close they are to Berbers like me than west/central or east Africans.

It's funny how he compares these Horn African populations with populations in Italy, particularly southern Italy considering that region has more African admixture than Germany! LOL
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
paternal hg E1b1b (E-M215)
 -

Most E-M215 in Europe is found in the Balkans like Greece, yet note that Antalas' results show mainly southern Italians and historically southern Italy was colonized by Greece forming the region of Magna Grecia'

Pre-Imperial Italy
 -

There's more..

HLA genes
 -

HBS (sickle cell)
 -

closest populations
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Due to Australasians being the oldest populations in Eurasia, they have the highest genetic diversity outside of Africa and are also prone to the same population genetic shuffling used on Africans.

-

-

Even so-called 'Negrito' populations are diverse.

-

-
 -

-
 -

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
 -

The Paniya are an aboriginal tribe of Kerala state south India.

Paniya men
 -  -

-

-
 -

Note that Andamanese as genetically 'Basal East Asian' are closer to non-black East Asians than they are to Melanesians and Australian Aborigines. The same way 'Basal Eurasian' although African is ancestral to Eurasians which is why groups like Natufians show more affinity to Eurasians than other Africans.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com