EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » A couple of book tips

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A couple of book tips
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of book tips from a person who has a somewhat different take on Ancient Egypt. The person making the video seems to be some kind of "pagan" priestess who seemingly use for example "The book of the dead" as a tool in her work.

It is interesting to see all different takes on Ancient Egypt and how it can be used both for political and religious purposes beside the strict scientific study of it.

Anyway the books seem interesting and maybe I order a couple of them

BOOKSHELF TOUR | books on Ancient Egypt

If you like to, please add your own book tips in the thread.

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2760 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chronicle of the Pharaohs by Peter Clayton is a must have also
Upper Egypt Life along the Nile by Nicholas Hopkins

Posts: 8812 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she wouldn't like those, she's on the mystical tip:

Priestess Dandelion
"TOUR MY SACRED SPACE | all my altars & spiritual tools"

Her Egyptian themed videos playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/@VanDerLand-PriestessDandelion/search?query=EGYPTIAN

Posts: 43016 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not the type of book I would get into but it's famous in this mystical take

-
This book contains the first published results of Schwaller's 12 years of research at the temple of Luxor and its implications for interpreting the symbolic and mathematical processes of the Egyptians through their sacred architecture. Google Books

Although Priestess Dandelion might get turned off by the seeming male orientation here
Originally published: 1949

René Adolphe Schwaller de Lubicz (December 30, 1887 – December 7, 1961), born René Adolphe Schwaller in Alsace-Lorraine, was a French Egyptologist and mystic who popularized the idea of sacred geometry in ancient Egypt during his study of the art and architecture of the Temple of Luxor in Egypt, and his subsequent book The Temple In Man
He was given the title "de Lubicz" in 1919 by the Lithuanian writer, mystic and diplomat Oscar Vladislas de Lubicz Milosz.
He also wrote under the mystical name 'Aor', signifying "Light of the Higher Mind".
He may have become a student of Theosophy and Syncretism, as those two concepts are extensively tackled in his books.

-

Posts: 43016 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found another book review video, it presents a guidebook to the Egyptian Museum by Zahi Hawass. Soon he must make a new one since the collections are transferred to the new Grand Egyptian Museum.

Hawass book is published both electronically and in paper form.

quote:
At Archaeosoup Towers, we love books! In this series we review books (Old and New) from the world of Archaeology and Anthropology.

Today we take a look at 'Inside the Egyptian Museum with Zahi Hawass'.

Book Review: Inside the Egyptian Museum with Zahi Hawass

-

--------------------

Posts: 2760 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
she wouldn't like those, she's on the mystical tip:

Priestess Dandelion
"TOUR MY SACRED SPACE | all my altars & spiritual tools"

Her Egyptian themed videos playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/@VanDerLand-PriestessDandelion/search?query=EGYPTIAN

Seems like the mystical side of Ancient Egypt has had an attraction in the West since long time.

It also took root in popular culture especially after the discovery of Tutankhamon´s tomb and the alleged curses associated with it. After that the magic of ancient Egypt has fascinated with walking mummies and ancient curses.

The idea of resurrected mummies though occurred earlier than so. One example is the book The Mummy by Jane C Laudon from 1827.

Today many neopagans and different esoteric societies and occultists seem very interested in and inspired by ancient Egypt, its gods and religion.

Kemetism

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Ancient Egypt has also made its inprint in modern fictional literature. Several examples of that are presented in the thread Favorite novels set in Ancient Egypt?

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
A somewhat animated review by Youtuber Chief X about the book:

Kilimanjaro, Ife et al 2014: Maat - Guiding Principles of Moral Living

His main objections against the book is that it promotes the African Olmec myth and that it also claims a total replacement of the ancient Egyptians by foreign, non Black peoples.

NEVER EVER BUY A BOOK BY A AFROCENTRIC, THEY ARE CULTURE VULTURES

-

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com