EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Egypt: The modern day hijabis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt: The modern day hijabis
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By Elliott Woods

First Published: October 10, 2008

CAIRO: For those unfamiliar with the Islamic practice of veiling, the many variations of the hijab found on the streets of Cairo can be perplexing. Why are some hijabs bright, fashionable — sometimes downright flashy — while others seem conservative in the extreme — solid black, un-textured, and designed to cover as much of the wearer’s body as possible?

Then comes the full-face veil, or niqab. Why do some women cover every inch of skin, sometimes wearing black gloves and eye-screens, while others sport body-hugging undergarments and designer jeans? Is there any doctrinal difference between the Islam of a woman who wears a niqab and the religion of a young woman whose Italian silk hijab is as much a fashion accessory as a gesture of modesty?

With these questions in mind, I set out for downtown Cairo on Thursday evening, where I spoke with women of all ages, wearing all sorts of different veils. What I found was surprising — I expected to discover a lexicon of terms for all of the different styles of veils, but the lexicon is meager at best.

There is the niqab, of course, which is always accompanied by a full-length abbaya, the female version of the traditional galabiyah. And then there is the khemar, which — like the niqab but without covering the face— descends over the shoulders, down to the elbows, and is also accompanied by traditional clothing in subtle colors. Finally, there is the hijab.

Simple enough, right? Except that all veils — indeed, the entire practice of veiling — are part of the concept of hijab, which stipulates that Muslim women should cover their features and hair so as to discourage the lascivious gazes of men, allowing both women and the men to avoid sin.

In common parlance, hijab refers to the trendy veils worn by the younger generation — the ones that come in dozens of textures, dozens of fabrics, and hundreds of colors. Compared to the niqab and the khemar, these fashionable hijabs, and the tight clothes that sometimes accompany them, seem nothing short of revolutionary.

But the older generation doesn’t feel terribly threatened. “You can’t obligate the people to wear any particular thing,” said Mona, who wears a niqab, when I asked if she worried about the boisterous colors and tight clothing worn by most of Cairo’s younger women.

Mona’s husband, Salah, agreed. Many women shift to more traditional styles of veiling at the bequest of their husbands. Mona said, “It’s the decision of the husband. If he wants you to wear the niqab, you wear the niqab. If he tells you, ‘I don’t want you to wear niqab,’ you don’t wear it.”

“There are a few women who wear the niqab before marriage,” Mona added, “but not many.” Mona began wearing a niqab several years into her marriage, at Salah’s request. For his part, Salah said, “Someday God will ask us about our lives and what we did … the decision comes from inside [the husband], because he wants Allah to be very satisfied with him, because he wants to do the maximum.”

Salah also believes that a woman maintains her virginal beauty before God by leaving only her eyes uncovered, because eyes remain youthful well into old age.

As conservative Muslims, Mona and Salah, who sell spices in Khan El-Khalili, do not approve of any clothing that draws attention to a woman’s face or body. However, their attitude is far from domineering. Like other older people with whom I spoke, their sentiment could be summed up as, “Khalas. Let the kids do their own thing.”

“Every generation has its own style of hijab,” said Nehal, 19, who wore retro sneakers, tight jeans, a sparkling gold Karina shirt under a white t-shirt, and a pink and blue patterned hijab done up in a “Spanish wrap.”

Young women today model a variety of wraps; the Spanish wrap, the Gulf wrap, and the Indian pashmina, are a few of the most popular. “We wear the veil because Islam says we should wear it,” Nehal said, “but after that, we can have fun with it.”

Early Thursday night, the Continental shopping center on El-Khim Street downtown —entirely devoted to hijabs and Karina tops — was filled with women, young and old, hip and conservative, poring over the massive selection of hijabs, arranged on floor to ceiling racks throughout the hundred-meter-long arcade.

I asked Nehal how many hijabs she owns. She laughed, “Too many to count. You need a hijab in every color to match everything you wear … and you also need warmer hijabs for winter and cooler ones during summer.”

Nashwa, also 19, who works in the Continental, showed me the variety on offer at her shop, Ganna, or “Heaven.” Materials include silk and satin from Italy and India, fine linen, muslin, and synthetics; there are crinkled patterns, called mekassar, or “broken satin,” and there are even hijabs fringed with decorations, like miniature flowers and tassels.

I had a few practical questions too: how much do hijabs cost, and how long does it take to put one on? Ironically, it’s the new styles of hijab that are more costly and more time consuming. A Spanish Wrap — the tousled style that leaves the tails of the hijab dangling over one shoulder, the most popular according to Nashwa — takes as long as 15 minutes to finish, while a traditional khemar can be donned in a little over a minute. Trendy hijabs can cost as much as LE 300 in boutiques in Heliopolis and Nasr City, but most of the Continental’s hijabs fall between LE 15 and LE 30.

The best bet for time and money, interestingly enough, is the niqab.

Some women prefer a bonneh, an elaborate one-piece bonnet available at Zalaat Shop on Sherif Street, starting at LE 160. Zalaat Shop also sells simple pullover hijabs in a variety of colors for about LE 30.

The final answer is that there is no appreciable difference between the religion of a hipster in a hot pink hijab mekassar and Karina and a woman in a niqab — both groups of women are simply demonstrating their respect for Islam in their own ways. The differences in veiling practices are mostly the result of generational differences in the perception of modesty. Culture changes over time, and even a centuries-old tradition like veiling is susceptible to modern trends.

Despite the differences in their individual veiling styles, all of the women with whom I spoke agreed on one thing: the amount of women who choose to veil, in one fashion or another, has been on the rise for some time, and shows no signs of deceleration. Egypt, by all accounts, is growing more religious in the 21st century — even as Egypt’s muhajabas embrace modernity.

http://dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=16984

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its funny that the article uses the word "hijabi"- in arabic that would mean "my hijab" ( i believe)-
to my knowledge, it was south asian muslims who coined the term (or maybe another group- but not arabs), because in our region, a persons ethnic group usually ends in "i", like kashmiri, punjabi, pathani, balochi, memni, etc.

I've had arabic speaking friends who get annoyed with the term- but I think its cute.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the amount of women who choose to veil, in one fashion or another, has been on the rise for some time, and shows no signs of deceleration. Egypt, by all accounts, is growing more religious in the 21st century — even as Egypt’s muhajabas embrace modernity.
*Groan*.
Am I the only one petrified by this? I don't care about hijabs, however, the more people wear those, the more people want to take it further. Niqabs will become more common, and then the men will begin thinking a woman SHOULD be fully covered. I fear Egypt is going to be a Saudi Arabia 2. I mean, look at how much it has changed in just 30 years, what on earth will another 30 years do to it?
Also, I find that the more conservative women dress, the higher sexual harassment becomes. Right now, if a woman is showing her hair, arms, etc, then it is deemed her fault if she is harassed. Perhaps in 10 years, a woman in hijab might be deemed at fault because she wasn't wearing a niqab. And then in 30 years, woman might be blamed just if their eyes catches a man's.
I know this will ruffle some feathers, but I think the niqab make women less of an individual, and more of a possession. A toy that their husbands don’t want anyone else looking out. It is a mobile prison (yes, some woman make the choice fully on their own, but how many others do it due to pressure from family, husband, or culture?)

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh oh! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something that popped into my little ole brain after reading this article.
I wonder just how this MAN who wrote the article got any women in Niqab to talk to him...lol.
Ones that I know won't ever BREATHE in a man's direction...lol

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianLiving*Com
Member # 15738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianLiving*Com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:
I think its funny that the article uses the word "hijabi"- in arabic that would mean "my hijab" ( i believe)-
to my knowledge, it was south asian muslims who coined the term (or maybe another group- but not arabs), because in our region, a persons ethnic group usually ends in "i", like kashmiri, punjabi, pathani, balochi, memni, etc.

I've had arabic speaking friends who get annoyed with the term- but I think its cute.

You are right it isn't in arabic - but is isn't mentioned in the article - only the thread-starter used it in the title.

In Arabic 'hijabi' or a woman who does wear it is known as a 'Mu7ajabah'

Posts: 121 | From: www.egyptianliving.com | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked on Google and actually HIJABI seems to be a much used term. Here are some examples:

Definitions of Hijabi on the Web:

a woman who wears a hijab when in public. Similar term: niqabi, referring to a woman who habitually wears a face veil. ...

Sisters: Modern Hijabi?

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:y_0R6H7MKpwJ:answers.yahoo.ca/question/index%3Fqid%3D20080413150215AAleka6+hijabi+definition&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6

You Know You’re A Hijabi/Niqabi if…

http://southernmuslimah.wordpress.com/2007/06/28/you-know-youre-a-hijabiniqabi-if/

Proud to be a Hijabi

http://www.wiretapmag.org/stories/20616/

تيجرليلي

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
publicly displayed
Member # 15908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for publicly displayed         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I checked on Google and actually HIJABI seems to be a much used term. Here are some examples:

Definitions of Hijabi on the Web:

a woman who wears a hijab when in public. Similar term: niqabi, referring to a woman who habitually wears a face veil. ...

Sisters: Modern Hijabi?

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:y_0R6H7MKpwJ:answers.yahoo.ca/question/index%3Fqid%3D20080413150215AAleka6+hijabi+definition&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6

You Know You’re A Hijabi/Niqabi if…

http://southernmuslimah.wordpress.com/2007/06/28/you-know-youre-a-hijabiniqabi-if/

Proud to be a Hijabi

http://www.wiretapmag.org/stories/20616/

Regardless of what you found on google, hibbah\'s post is quite accurate.
Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
quote:
the amount of women who choose to veil, in one fashion or another, has been on the rise for some time, and shows no signs of deceleration. Egypt, by all accounts, is growing more religious in the 21st century — even as Egypt’s muhajabas embrace modernity.
*Groan*.
Am I the only one petrified by this? I don't care about hijabs, however, the more people wear those, the more people want to take it further. Niqabs
will become more common, and then the men will begin thinking a woman SHOULD be fully covered. I fear Egypt is going to be a Saudi Arabia 2. I mean, look at how much it has changed in just 30 years, what on earth will another 30 years do to it?
Also, I find that the more conservative women dress, the higher sexual harassment becomes. Right now, if a woman is showing her hair, arms, etc, then it is deemed her fault if she is harassed. Perhaps in 10 years, a woman in hijab might be deemed at fault because she wasn't wearing a niqab. And then in 30 years, woman might be blamed just if their eyes catches a man's.
I know this will ruffle some feathers, but I think the niqab make women less of an individual, and more of a possession. A toy that their husbands don’t want anyone else looking out. It is a mobile prison (yes, some woman make the choice fully on their own, but how many others do it due to pressure from family, husband, or culture?)

I believe a women who is wearing a hijab or niqaab for any reason other than the sake of Allah is doing them self a disfavor; because God is the only person a woman is supposed to wear it for. Any other factors- such as modesty, or being symbolic of being a Muslim woman- are secondary to this.

And yes- i think its offensive that you're saying a women who chooses to wear niqaab is a toy for her husband. even if you don't mean all women that wear niqaab- ur discrediting an act of worship by those who wear niqaab because they believe it is a fard.

Its not easy for a woman to actually put aside her ego, her vanity, to such an extent as a woman who wears a niqaab.

And as for Egypt becoming another Saudi Arabia- thats highly unlikely. Saudi Arabia became a "Saudi Arabia" in itself because of very distinct reasons- some people were in the right place in the right time, Ibn Wahab and the Saud family- at the end of the Ottoman Empire.

Egypts modern history doesnt share the same path Saudi Arabia does- it went towards the exact opposite- Europeanization by the late Ottomans, and like I said earlier, modernization and arabization in the latter half of the 19th century.

If Egypt is becoming more religious, its going to be in large part a result of a backlash against anti-religious, pro-national/arabization of the Nasser era.

That being said- you can have your opinion. [Smile]

And tigerlilly- the fact that many sources use the term hijabi doesnt really discredit what I said . I said the term was "coined" by south asian communities....

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And yes- i think its offensive that you're saying a women who chooses to wear niqaab is a toy for her husband. even if you don't mean all women that wear niqaab- ur discrediting an act of worship by those who wear niqaab because they believe it is a fard.
Yep. Husbands who force their wives to wear niqaabs only want a little possession. I asked an Egyptian if he would marry a woman wearing the full niqaab, his answer: "Yes, I would be very happy knowing that she was only for me, and no one else can look at her". This guy wasn't even a strict Muslim (the shesha gave that away).
Like I said, some make the choice on their own, no pressure from family, culture or husbands- sadly, the more people wear them, the more pressure falls onto others. It is a rippling effect.

And besides, a country doesn't have to have the same beginning to become alike. Lets give it 30 years and see what happens. I personally believe it can go in two directions- either become a lot more conservative (SA2), or, it will begin going back to how it was. It certainly wont stay the same.

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been called names for saying this before but I am going to add my opinion on the subject anyway.

I don't think it is appropriate for people to cover their face in public. If someone does not want to be seen; don't go out. In public places such as banks, malls, stores...we should be able to recognize the people whom we come in contact with. I see no difference between the veil and a mask. Though, I am speaking from the perspective of living in America. Granted, there are different values in other cultures.

Also, I think it limits the woman. She cannot possible have the same freedom of natural movements. If she is being abused there would be no way to tell. It limits her job choices. Then again I live in a culture where women are able to live on their own so this may not be important to those who are dependent on a man. I guess that may be the purpose of it anyway, to keep women dependent on a man.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
I don't think it is appropriate for people to cover their face in public. If someone does not want to be seen; don't go out. In public places such as banks, malls, stores...we should be able to recognize the people whom we come in contact with. I see no difference between the veil and a mask. Though, I am speaking from the perspective of living in America. Granted, there are different values in other cultures.

Also, I think it limits the woman. She cannot possible have the same freedom of natural movements. If she is being abused there would be no way to tell. It limits her job choices. Then again I live in a culture where women are able to live on their own so this may not be important to those who are dependent on a man. I guess that may be the purpose of it anyway, to keep women dependent on a man.

Thank you, I totally agree.
In England, there was a hoodie crackdown. People could not have their hoods up in shops, because if they commit a crime, it is hard for the cameras to identify them. If they have to be recognisable, why not others?
I say it is like a mobile prison because of the limitations if puts on the woman. There is no way she can socialise normally, as it is facial expressions that make someone appear approachable. Look at countries where all women are fully covered, wearing the same colours, etc. How can they build friendships when they cannot recognise each other? It stops the woman having a life outside of her home.

--------------------
Another one....

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Yep. Husbands who force their wives to wear niqaabs only want a little possession. I asked an Egyptian if he would marry a woman wearing the full niqaab, his answer: "Yes, I would be very happy knowing that she was only for me, and no one else can look at her". This guy wasn't even a strict Muslim (the shesha gave that away).
Like I said, some make the choice on their own, no pressure from family, culture or husbands- sadly, the more people wear them, the more pressure falls onto others. It is a rippling effect.

And besides, a country doesn't have to have the same beginning to become alike. Lets give it 30 years and see what happens. I personally believe it can go in two directions- either become a lot more conservative (SA2), or, it will begin going back to how it was. It certainly wont stay the same.

It's highly unlikely that Egypt will ever become like Saudi Arabia. If you get to know more Egyptian people (and Egyptian Society as a whole)that will become much more clear to you.

More women in Egypt are veiling (both Hijab and Niqab) but you will also notice that the styles are vastly different to Saudi too. Niqabs are becoming more colourful than the usual black and Mu7ajabah's tend to be more fashionable than non veiled women.

Egypt can't be compared to Saudi Arabia so your concern is misplaced. Your one example here is based on one conversation and again you're misguided into evaluating that person's level of religious conviction by the fact that he was smoking Sheesha.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hibbah:
quote:
quote:
*Groan*.
Am I the only one petrified by this? I don't care about hijabs, however, the more people wear those, the more people want to take it further. Niqabs
will become more common, and then the men will begin thinking a woman SHOULD be fully covered. I fear Egypt is going to be a Saudi Arabia 2. I mean, look at how much it has changed in just 30 years, what on earth will another 30 years do to it?

I believe a women who is wearing a hijab or niqaab for any reason other than the sake of Allah is doing them self a disfavor; because God is the only person a woman is supposed to wear it for. Any other factors- such as modesty, or being symbolic of being a Muslim woman- are secondary to this.

Its not easy for a woman to actually put aside her ego, her vanity, to such an extent as a woman who wears a niqaab.

And as for Egypt becoming another Saudi Arabia- thats highly unlikely. Saudi Arabia became a "Saudi Arabia" in itself because of very distinct reasons- some people were in the right place in the right time, Ibn Wahab and the Saud family- at the end of the Ottoman Empire.

Egypts modern history doesnt share the same path Saudi Arabia does- it went towards the exact opposite- Europeanization by the late Ottomans, and like I said earlier, modernization and arabization in the latter half of the 19th century.

If Egypt is becoming more religious, its going to be in large part a result of a backlash against anti-religious, pro-national/arabization of the Nasser era.

That being said- you can have your opinion. [Smile]

And tigerlilly- the fact that many sources use the term hijabi doesnt really discredit what I said . I said the term was "coined" by south asian communities....

Well said hibbah [Smile]
Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
It's highly unlikely that Egypt will ever become like Saudi Arabia. If you get to know more Egyptian people (and Egyptian Society as a whole)that will become much more clear to you.

More women in Egypt are veiling (both Hijab and Niqab) but you will also notice that the styles are vastly different to Saudi too. Niqabs are becoming more colourful than the usual black and Mu7ajabah's tend to be more fashionable than non veiled women.

Egypt can't be compared to Saudi Arabia so your concern is misplaced. Your one example here is based on one conversation and again you're misguided into evaluating that person's level of religious conviction by the fact that he was smoking Sheesha.

Hmm, you're right, maybe I should have added that I'm also dating the guy so know exactly just how religious he is.
I bet 40 years ago, the people would have totally denied that Egypt would be anything like it is now. Just because the root is different, doesn't mean the ending will not be the same. And like I said, it COULD be like SA, OR it will revert back. I personally cannot seeing it staying the same, going on just how much it has changed even in a mere ten years.

Hibbah
Member # 12156

quote:
quote:

Hmm, you're right, maybe I should have added that I'm also dating the guy so know exactly just how religious he is.
I bet 40 years ago, the people would have totally denied that Egypt would be anything like it is now. Just because the root is different, doesn't mean the ending will not be the same. And like I said, it COULD be like SA, OR it will revert back. I personally cannot seeing it staying the same, going on just how much it has changed even in a mere ten years.

So you're dating a guy that said he would like a women to wear niqaab so he could own her/be his toy...?

I think its presumptuous for you to suggest that your boyfriends opinion on niqaab- who by your own account- isn't very religious- is indicative of Muslims as a whole, or even the majority of Muslims.

I'm well aware of the fact that the world is filled with Muslims who are uneducated about their religion, and who practice certain aspects of it with out understanding why- wearing niqaab because their husband telling them so is an example. Or like your boyfrend- belittling the concept of niqaab from an act of worship to something that is there for his ego.

All I know is out of the handful of women whom I personally know who wear Niqaab- they've done so out of religious conviction, some of them to the chagrin of their family members. I admire them for their discipline and for their faith.

Please don't take any individual Muslims opinions on Islam as something which is actually representative of Islam or of other Muslims in General. I've seen way too many people come away with terrible attitudes about our religion because of Muslims they've met who understand very little about their religion, but who find it necessary to try and show people that they do.

And you're right, ofcourse theres a possibility Egypt could become another Saudi, but theres also a "possibility" that could happen in the U.S. [Big Grin] ok, a slight possibility. [Razz]

Ofgold: I think the limiting factor is a viable concern for a woman in niqaab. But some how or the other, the women I know handle themselves in the modern world, driving, working, etc ::shrugs::

NotSleepLessinCairo: Thanks, we kinda said the same thing [Smile]

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
So you're dating a guy that said he would like a women to wear niqaab so he could own her/be his toy...?
Erm, reread the quote. It doesn’t say that. However, yes, it does suggest a very possessive view of women. But he is with a girl who would never even cover her hair, let alone her face, and he will never, ever, ask me to.

quote:
I think its presumptuous for you to suggest that your boyfriends opinion on niqaab- who by your own account- isn't very religious- is indicative of Muslims as a whole, or even the majority of Muslims.
I think it is presumptuous of you, to wrongly think I was saying his opinion was majority. My point in the quote was that is this is what even someone who isn’t very religious (by Egyptian terms) thinks, than I dread to think what is going through the minds of those more fundamental.

I know wearing niqaab isn’t something forced in Islam. The passages I have read about womens clothing, personally do not suggest they need to wear them (this is why I don’t understand why women do, unless it is a passage I missed, and so do not admire them. I don’t believe for a second that a god would want them to do that, anymore than he would want men to). I am not criticizing the religion here. However, countries that do force it on women make me feel ill. I just don’t want Egypt to go down that road. The problem is, the more women who wear it, the more men, and eventually government, will think they should wear it.
It wasn’t too long ago when Egyptian women didn’t cover, and wore rather western clothes. Now they nearly all do, and niqabs are becoming more common. Such a vast and rapid change like that doesn’t suddenly halt. It is not far fetched to think that it will continue down that road. The more conservative the dress, the more conservative ideals become, and there be the problem.

--------------------
Another one....

of_gold
Member # 13418

Personally, I don't find it offensive that a man consider a women his play thing. We are. Think about it, men are strong and tough except with us. Then they act different. Women have children to baby and be affectionate with, men have us....kinda nice, I think. It doesn't mean disrespect. It means tenderness and love. [Smile]
Hibbah
Member # 12156

quote:
quote:
Erm, reread the quote. It doesn’t say that. However, yes, it does suggest a very possessive view of women. But he is with a girl who would never even cover her hair, let alone her face, and he will never, ever, ask me to.

quote:
I think it is presumptuous of you, to wrongly think I was saying his opinion was majority. My point in the quote was that is this is what even someone who isn’t very religious (by Egyptian terms) thinks, than I dread to think what is going through the minds of those more fundamental.

I know wearing niqaab isn’t something forced in Islam. The passages I have read about womens clothing, personally do not suggest they need to wear them (this is why I don’t understand why women do, unless it is a passage I missed, and so do not admire them. I don’t believe for a second that a god would want them to do that, anymore than he would want men to). I am not criticizing the religion here. However, countries that do force it on women make me feel ill. I just don’t want Egypt to go down that road. The problem is, the more women who wear it, the more men, and eventually government, will think they should wear it.
It wasn’t too long ago when Egyptian women didn’t cover, and wore rather western clothes. Now they nearly all do, and niqabs are becoming more common. Such a vast and rapid change like that doesn’t suddenly halt. It is not far fetched to think that it will continue down that road. The more conservative the dress, the more conservative ideals become, and there be the problem.

Ok cool, then we agree. I think its whack for a country to force women to wear niqaab as well. I haven't spent much time in Egypt at all- and I've only been there once so I can't compare it to any other time- all I know is from what I've read, that indeed, people are becoming more religious, and that most of my Egyptians older female relatives did not wear Hijab when they were young women, but now do, and their daughters do as well.
So if you say you've noticed more niqaabis, you probably have. I just don't think its fair to trivialize peoples actions when you can't know their intentions- but I'm sure you agree with that as well.

[Smile]

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
quote:
Personally, I don't find it offensive that a man consider a women his play thing. We are. Think about it, men are strong and tough except with us. Then they act different. Women have children to baby and be affectionate with, men have us....kinda nice, I think. It doesn't mean disrespect. It means tenderness and love.
Really? Men have always been much more my plaything than I have been theirs, lol. Maybe that is because I'm not the baby type, hmmm [Big Grin]

--------------------
Another one....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com