EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Yeelen 1987 Souleymane Cissé

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeelen 1987 Souleymane Cissé
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4h-vaDBoJ4
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFaF0_GgbVc
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz4EiQaE2U8
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJN82SjA1pI

.....goes up to 11 parts (please watch all..).

There are many themes in this movie, some of them can be drawn from other stories, such as the story of Joseph in the Bible and to some extent, even the story of Moses (as far his mother trying to save him from "terror").

There are also a lot of signs and symbols used in the film common in African folklore and religious systems, such as the egg, and the sacrificing of animals, burnt offerings etc

This thread is for exploring this movie and deciphering fully the message it is trying to transmit.

Thanks.

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Specific question:

The film concludes with the young man facing off with his father who basically wants him dead (i.e. I interpret this to symbolically mean he doesn't want his son to be "enlightened") for reasons he will not reveal.

It ends in some sort of spiritual fight that kills off both or else transforms them both into eggs (my interpretation). The young man however, has a son who picks up one of the eggs (presumably his father, and not grand-father) and makes off with his father's clothes and sceptre. Can anyone expand on the deeper philosophical or spiritual meanings of these?

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Also, the young man (Nianankoro) meets a dog-headed Djehuti/Thot along the way who conveniently proclaims the young man's future to be great and full of good tidings. (*By far the most interesting and enjoyable part of the film imho*).

Is this play a parallel to the Drama of the battles between Horus and Set?

The Fulani link I guess.

IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know many Africans whose life configure along the same lines of ths story.

I must watch it some more, it's deep.

Heru is this your life story? [Big Grin]

Lion!

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid it appears so. Scary [Confused]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com