EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Research

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Research
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings.
I have noticed that some people are citing Wickipedia as a research tool [Roll Eyes] ....people should NOT be citing Wickipedia as any kind of REAL research resource in reasonings and/or debates, cites given from Wickipedia should be dismissed as subjective because it IS subjective (for the most part) and should not be looked upon as completely valid and objective information...

See here:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Appeal2/en?utm_source=2009_Jimmy_Appeal9&utm_medium=sitenotice&utm_campaign=fundraiser2009&target=Appeal2

quote:
I started Wikipedia in 2001, and over the past eight years, I've been amazed and humbled to see hundreds of thousands of volunteers join with me to build the largest encyclopedia in human history.

Wikipedia isn't a commercial website. It's a community creation, entirely written and funded by people like you. More than 340 million people use Wikipedia every month - almost a third of the Internet-connected world. You are part of our community.

I believe in us. I believe that Wikipedia keeps getting better. That's the whole idea. One person writes something, somebody improves it a little, and it keeps getting better, over time. If you find it useful today, imagine how much we can achieve together in 5, 10, 20 years.

Wikipedia is about the power of people like us to do extraordinary things. People like us write Wikipedia, one word at a time . People like us fund it. It's proof of our collective potential to change the world.

We need to protect the space where this important work happens. We need to protect Wikipedia. We want to keep it free of charge and free of advertising. We want to keep it open – you can use the information in Wikipedia any way you want. We want to keep it growing – spreading knowledge everywhere, and inviting participation from everyone.

The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization I created in 2003 to operate, grow, nurture, and protect Wikipedia. For ten million US dollars a year and with a staff of fewer than 35 people, it runs the fifth most-read website in the entire world. I'm asking for your help so we can continue our work.

Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet has free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That’s where we’re headed. And with your help, we will get there.

Thank you for using Wikipedia. You're part of this story: please make a donation today.

And that sums it up. Real objective research material my backside. [Roll Eyes]

I will respectfully and humbly say that should I enter into any reasonings and/or debates with ones here- particularly this one I read called Recovering Afrosomethingorother and a next one (whose name escapes me) that I've noticed- if you cite anything from wickipedia to me as a source, it won't be taken with a bit of credibility and with only a grain of salt IF THAT: you will have to come MUCH BETTER than some Wickipedia, you will either need to have real KNOWLEDGE or do some REAL research. [Smile]

htp

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think people cite Wikipedia as FACT. At least I hope not. I dont think its that negative to post links to wiki, I would hope that the person following the link would then look at the REFERENCES at the bottom of the wiki page. This is the key, Wikipedia links reference most of the supporting evidence at the bottom of the page. Its nicely put in one spot.

Can you site examples?

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your response.

Honestly speaking, from I see a wickipedia cite, I don't even go to the link- it all becomes pretty much irrelevent to me and immediately dismissed. Maybe those who cite wickipedia need to follow those references, read/study them, and provide those cites instead....but hey, to each their own....anyway, my thought still stands because the FACT remains that it is NOT an OBJECTIVE research tool....key word: objective [Smile]

Do you mean examples of ones here on these forums? [Confused] Well, just go into almost any thread and you will see...

htp

--------------------
"TRUTH IS LIKE LIGHTNING WITH ITS ERRAND DONE BEFORE YOU HEAR THE THUNDER" - Gerald Massey
"TRUTH IS FINAL" -Mumia Abu-Jamal

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TruthAndRights - Like anything else, Wiki has a use, just don't try to use it for more than it's worth.

It CANNOT be used as an authoritative source, ESPECIALLY on racial issues. Because as you have no doubt noticed, every single racist White-boy in the world, has found a home at Wiki.

BUT, on all other things, it will generally give you a fairly good STARTING point to find your answer.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
TruthAndRights - Like anything else, Wiki has a use, just don't try to use it for more than it's worth.

It CANNOT be used as an authoritative source, ESPECIALLY on racial issues. Because as you have no doubt noticed, every single racist White-boy in the world, has found a home at Wiki .

BUT, on all other things, it will generally give you a fairly good STARTING point to find your answer.

GOD knows.... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Give thanks for your input. [Smile]

htp

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TruthAndRights,this how I use Wiki..Because I read alot and if I know exactly what I am after I'll just go to wiki rather than copy directly from my books makes life easier..lets say for example you are looking for the chanson of Roland
about his take on the Moors of his time,I have the books or books I know what the Chanson of Roland supposed to say but it's too long to just copy from the book wiki would be fine..but like Mike said if it comes to controversial issues..like say what did the ancient Kemetians looked like, then everybody and their mother has an opinion.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lord knows we need more opinions from mothers!  -

Ladies, where you at? We need you, got no balance w/o u.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altakruri
quote:
Ladies, where you at? We need you, got no balance w/o u.
Yep ladies where u at...Betty Boo Boo don't count... [Big Grin]
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Lord knows we need more opinions from mothers!  -

Ladies, where you at? Ladies, where you at We need you, got no balance w/o u.

Good morning.

Right here is one... [Wink] [Smile]

htp

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
I just had to resurrect this thread, because I see wicki cites being flung around like it's factual authority....If ANYONE reading an article from Wikipedia takes it as an "AUTHORITY," [Eek!] then, SHAME ON THEM!

I would hope and think that some people would do further reading and research....

htp

Gigantic
Member # 17311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gigantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wikipedia articles are based on secondary and tertiary sources. Since this forum is not a formal academic medium, I see nothing wrong w/ citing wiki. Unless the information in the article is proven to be inaccurate then the information is as valid as any authoritative source.

quote:
Originally posted by TruthAndRights:
I just had to resurrect this thread, because I see wicki cites being flung around like it's factual authority....If ANYONE reading an article from Wikipedia takes it as an "AUTHORITY," [Eek!] then, SHAME ON THEM!

I would hope and think that some people would do further reading and research....

htp

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Recovering Afro-holic:
quote:
Wikipedia articles are based on secondary and tertiary sources. Since this forum is not a formal academic medium, I see nothing wrong w/ citing wiki. Unless the information in the article is proven to be inaccurate then the information is as valid as any authoritative source.
Then you are not seeing right. No one should be citing 'wiki' as an authoritative source on anything scientific. Wiki articles especially the ones regarding subjects that are spoken of around these parts are VERY bias and only written by a few people all with their own agenda. Wiki runs on verifiability NOT truth.
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com