EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Were the Habiru people the Hebrews?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Were the Habiru people the Hebrews?
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though there is no evidence that the Habiru were a single ethnic group of people, the fact is that the Hebrew people are also not a true ethnic people but a diverse group of people.

What is further interesting is that from the perspective of those people who had to deal with the Hebrews, these nomadic wanderers would have been considered thieves and murderers.

From the Amarna letters, clearly those being threatened by the Hebrews, tried to ally themselves with the Egyptians for protection. This did not
seem to help.

---------------------------- A Letter from Abdu-Heba of Jerusalem

May the king direct his attention to the archers, and may the king, my Lord, send troops of archers, the king has no more lands. The Hapiru sack the territories of the king. If there are archers (here) this year, all the territories of the king will remain (intact); but if there are no archers, the territories of the king, my Lord, will be lost!
To the king, my Lord thus writes Abdu-Heba, your servant. He conveys eloquent words to the king, my Lord. All the territories of the king, my Lord, are lost.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem to have correctly concluded that they were, all by your lonesome. So why the question, don't trust your judgment?
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an exciting bit of evidence supporting the conquest of Palestine by a people called the Habiru which are also mentioned in Egyptian text.

The fact that Habiru has a meaning that is very similar to the meaning of Hebrew is also something we should not ignore.

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every now and then a new interesting piece of evidence comes forward that can explain history we know from ancient myth and other ancient sources like the bible.

For example, we prolly all know about Yuya, and that some people think he is the historical Jacob. The arguments for speculating he was foreign are not unreasonable, as he was taller than the average egyptian, he had a large number of name spellings that were unusual and he was an advisor of the Pharao, just like Jacob. Also, several have said that the ''Ya'' in ''Yuya'' resembles the word ''sef'' in hieroglifs giving people reason to think he was Yusef, the Arabian version of Jacob.

In my opinion, the Apiru are one of those things that like the Apiru seem to make alot of sense, but yet they don't fit all the evidence exactly.

Kalonji

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posed by Kalonji:
In my opinion, the Apiru are one of those things that like the Apiru seem to make alot of sense, but yet they don't fit all the evidence exactly.

I meant to say:

In my opinion, the Apiru are one of those things that like the Yuya/Yusef/Jacob example seem to make alot of sense, but yet they don't fit all the evidence exactly.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muhommed Abed
Member # 17412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muhommed Abed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you mean joseph. He was vice-roy of Egypt in Pharoah's stead.

quote:
Originally posted by Kalonji:
Every now and then a new interesting piece of evidence comes forward that can explain history we know from ancient myth and other ancient sources like the bible.

For example, we prolly all know about Yuya, and that some people think he is the historical Jacob. The arguments for speculating he was foreign are not unreasonable, as he was taller than the average egyptian, he had a large number of name spellings that were unusual and he was an advisor of the Pharao, just like Jacob. Also, several have said that the ''Ya'' in ''Yuya'' resembles the word ''sef'' in hieroglifs giving people reason to think he was Yusef, the Arabian version of Jacob.

Kalonji

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muhommed Abed:
I think you mean joseph. He was vice-roy of Egypt in Pharoah's stead.

Yes, thnx for correcting.

quote:
From the Amarna letters, clearly those being threatened by the Hebrews, tried to ally themselves with the Egyptians for protection. This did not
seem to help.
---------------------------- A Letter from Abdu-Heba of Jerusalem
May the king direct his attention to the archers, and may the king, my Lord, send troops of archers, the king has no more lands. The Hapiru sack the territories of the king. If there are archers (here) this year, all the territories of the king will remain (intact); but if there are no archers, the territories of the king, my Lord, will be lost!
To the king, my Lord thus writes Abdu-Heba, your servant. He conveys eloquent words to the king, my Lord. All the territories of the king, my Lord, are lost.

If I recall, this letter was not from foreigners or allies of Egypt. This was a letter of Ancient Egyptians themselves, stationed in Palestine territory, who were asking Akhnathon for reinforcements.

Kalonji

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalonji:
quote:
Originally posed by Kalonji:

I meant to say:

In my opinion, the Apiru are one of those things that like the Yuya/Yusef/Jacob example seem to make alot of sense, but yet they don't fit all the evidence exactly.

There have been many claims on the identity of "Joseph"

Joseph and Imhotep

Joseph

Imhotep

Second in command under Pharoah

Second in command under Pharoah Djoser

Lived to be 110 years of age

Lived to be 110 years of age

Great architect and builder

Great architect and builder

Stored up corn during 7 yrs of plenty

Stored up corn during 7 yrs of plenty

Saw seven years of famine - fed people

Saw seven years of famine - fed people

Interpreter of dreams

Interpreter of dreams

Built pyramids & palaces

Built the Step Pyramid & palaces

Zaphnath-paaneah- Over physicians

Was a physician

Instituted a income tax of one fifth

Instituted a income tax of one fifth

Married into the Priesthood of On

Married into the Priesthood of On

Knowledge of astrology

Knowledge of astrology

Coat of many breadths/colors (pas) =wide tunic)

--------------

Became an educated man

A poet and educated medical writer

Overseer of public works

Overseer of public works

Legendary history

Legendary history

Name means to add, increase, to join or gather together

Name means the one who comes in peace

Was one of twelve siblings

Was one of twelve siblings)
http://www.s8int.com/joseph.html

The of course you have the Fringe exreemists who claim Moses was Akenaten and Joseph was created and the Hebrews were albino Egyptians..

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy yoy yoy!!!

Not this **** again.

I'm too tired too even pull up all the past threads
every six months or so when you resurrect this ****.

Nothing's changed. 'Tweren't so then. 'Tain't so now.

Guess what? 'Twon't be so next time you dig it up neither!

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Jari-Ankhamun:
There have been many claims on the identity of "Joseph"

I did not know of those specific identifications, but they reek of, and are very similar to other identifications, where they talk about the the titles, life events and other things Jesus had in common with Osiris, Odin and other mythical gods

Here
And
Here

A lot of this talk has been debunked by historian Richard Carrier among others,

\/

quote:
"The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Or Christianity Before Christ is unreliable, but no comprehensive critique exists. Most scholars immediately recognize many of his findings as unsupported and dismiss Graves as useless. After all, a scholar who rarely cites a source isn't useful to have as a reference even if he is right....In general, even when the evidence is real, it often only appears many years after Christianity began, and thus might be evidence of diffusion in the other direction." (Richard Carrier, Kersey Graves and the World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors)
But for some reason people still seem to be attracted to it

Kalonji

Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

-
http://www.beforebc.de/400_neareast/02-16-400-00-18.html

--------------------
The nature of homelife is the fate of the nation.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

Oy yoy yoy!!!

Not this **** again.

Don't you mean Oy Vey! LOL What's funny is that I remember you on more than one occasion explaining to Osirion why the Hapiru were not the same as Hebrews.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Oy yoy yoy!!!

Not this **** again.

LOL.
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, there is no such "fact."

quote:
Originally posted by osirion:

The fact that Habiru has a meaning that is very similar to
the meaning of Hebrew is also something we should not
ignore.

I don't see any connection in the names
'apirw
`ibri

when examining the original languages. They only begin to
sound alike when rendered in translation. The English word
Hebrew is derived from a word pronounced ngeeb*ree in its
original tongue.

Apeeroo and ngeeb*ree sound nothing alike to me.

Habiru is an ancient designation for a low class of people
It is not a specific ethnicity. Alternate spellings of the
term are 'Apiru and Khapiru.

The use of Habiru pre-dates the existence of the Israelites
and appears in text ranging from Mari to Anatolia to Egypt.
Out of the vast region this encompasses, no one has yet
explained how the term could be narrowed down to only
apply to one small group of transhumant pastoralists in
Canaan and not anybody else.

If the Egyptian term 'apiru is synonymous with `ibriym
then a record of Rameses II who fed 'apiru masons on
his building projects supports the Israelite record of
Hebrews toiling as brick masons in the construction
at the cities of Pithom and Raamses.

The Israelites claim an epononymous ancestor `Eber and
their writings show a Canaanite referring to their more
immediate ancestor Abraham one time as an `ibri. The
root -- `br -- has meanings of "the other side, yonder,
yonderer."

It doesn't matter whether there ever was a person named
`Eber or if there ever was a person Abraham. All peoples
have stories of a founding ancestor from whom they take
their tribal name, ethnic appellation, or national designation.

The Habiru were bands of disconnected people of various
ethicities who made no claim to having a ethnonymous
ancestor. Nor did the AE's invent the title Habiru meaning
"those who make dust," as first noted in Mesopotamian and
Levantine writings

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com