EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Sudan is a warning to all of Africa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sudan is a warning to all of Africa
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Financial Times

Sudan is a warning to all of Africa
By Mo Ibrahim
Published: January 6 2011 22:03

-

One evening, some 40 years ago, a progressive north Sudanese was giving a lecture in Khartoum. He was talking about the problems posed by the chronic underdevelopment of south Sudan, and the need to entrench brotherhood and unity among all Sudanese if we were to develop as a nation.

A southern man stood up and brought the audience back to earth. “That is all fine, sir,” he said to the speaker. “But will you allow me to marry your sister?”

The prejudice to which he alluded has remained sadly relevant up to today, when the south of my country is preparing to vote in a referendum on independence.

Late last year, my foundation held its annual forum in Mauritius, a beautiful country which has led our Index of African Governance for the past four years. Some 300 African opinion leaders came together to discuss the economic integration of the continent. The debate was not about whether we need integration: African markets, as well as African voices, are too fragmented to compete globally. Rather, the debate was about why we are moving towards closer political and economic co-operation so slowly.

In the evening, as everyone danced joyfully to the music of Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo, there was a cloud hanging over the Sudanese guests among us. A woman was crying as her colleagues tried to calm her. While other Africans were celebrating their coming together, we knew that in a few weeks our country would start to break apart.

Later that night I joined my Sudanese friends from all corners of the country, the north, the south and Darfur. The meeting was reflective, sad and awkward. Looking at my friends, I wondered how each would have responded to that 40-year-old question.

Sudan has been an experiment that resonated across Africa: if we, the largest country on the continent, reaching from the Sahara to the Congo, bridging religions, cultures and a multitude of ethnicities, were able to construct a prosperous and peaceful state from our diverse citizenry, so too could the rest of Africa.

That we have failed should sound a warning to all Africans. Sudan, at one million square miles, is the continent’s largest country, sharing borders with nine other states. The fault lines that have divided us as a people extend from Eritrea to Nigeria. If Sudan starts to crumble, the shock waves will spread.

Khartoum today projects a sense of normality, modernity and relative affluence. This is in sharp contrast to the rest of the country. Lack of investment, underdevelopment and the exclusion of populations on the periphery from the political process has resulted in alienation. It has strengthened local identities.

We have not nurtured that sense of brotherhood and unity. Rather, since independence the way Sudan has been governed has undermined any potential for a common Sudanese purpose.

President Omar al-Bashir’s regime has aggravated the problem by seeking absolute power and repressing dissent. The result has been the civil wars in the south, the east and in Darfur to the west. Our country has torn itself apart.

The separation of the south following the forthcoming referendum on January 9 is inevitable. The least we can do now is to separate peacefully and amicably.

I do not believe that either the ruling National Congress party (NCP) in Khartoum or the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM), which governs the south, want to fight. War would almost certainly bring an end to NCP rule in the north and devastate an already impoverished south. Leaders on both sides are smart enough to know that.

The north must now focus on finding a peaceful solution to the separate conflict in Darfur, and the leaders of the three main rebel movements there must come together around a coherent agenda to achieve this.

The government in Khartoum feels isolated and under siege, facing criticism from within its own ranks, the population at large and even its Arab neighbours, who are usually tolerant of each others’ misdeeds. It needs to reflect on the outcomes of 21 years of absolute rule – and address its legacy, to which partition will now be added. If you are in a hole, stop digging.

But decent governments need decent opposition. The crumbling old opposition parties in Khartoum, led by the same grand old men who were there when I was at school, lack vision or even coherence.

The south faces its own enormous task of nation-building. Civil war and underdevelopment have left the region with little infrastructure and few institutions. Moreover, the south is not as homogenous as often portrayed: there too a national identity must be constructed, representative of the diversity of its people.

At our meeting in Mauritius we all agreed that Africa’s future is in its own hands. Freedom of movement of people, goods and capital is essential for the development of our sub-scale economies and for maximising the potential of our immense resources. Regional economic communities across Africa, the African Union and the African Development Bank are all focusing on this as a top priority.

Sudan cannot afford to be on the wrong side of history. The north and south will have to work together, but will they? Less than two decades before the independence of India and the creation of Pakistan, Winston Churchill claimed: “India is a geographic term. India is no more a country than the equator is a country.” It is with great sadness that we Sudanese must recognise that the same rings true for us.

The writer is chairman of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation and founder of Celtel, the telecoms group

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting piece. Noted too is that silly man from South Sudan asking about marrying a Northerner's sister. What a display of an inferiority complex. In Kenya, the Kikuyus rigged the election 2 years ago just to block a "Luo man" becoming president. Widespread rioting, killing and burning ensued. Yet, I doubt that Luos ever ask Kikuyus if they would parmit them marrying their sisters.

The point is that the South Sudanese could have maintained the federation as it now stands and work to create a country that had the capacity to buil up infrastructure and industrialise. Instead they wasted a lot of money about a useless exercise that benefits only the U.S. and other Western interests. Would the South Sudanese be better off now? I doubt it. Just look as Eritrea: a poor, begging bowl, tiny country led by a deranged dictator. And lots of people died and lost limbs just to get what they now have. And the basis for this rush of stupidity is that Eritrea was colonised by the Italians so it deserved its own independence. Just weird reasoning--if you ask me.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo Ibrahim is well meaning but a bit naive.

That $7 million he promises annually to Africa's sorry crop of presidents won't work because they don't need that kind of money. Hey, those crooks steal that amount weekly. So the laugh is on Mo Ibrahim.

Much better if he spent that money on some schools and universities. That kind of money spent a university library in Africa could really help. Or how about spending it on solar energy for a medical school or a science lab? But your heart is in the right place though.

One problem though: why do you let whites run and make decisions for your foundation? I hear that they block all mail access to you.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Mo Ibrahim masonic showman...

Illuminati bagman

Think!

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AswaniAswad
Member # 16742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AswaniAswad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southerner who said can i marry your sister is the most important thing ever said in that meeting and shows you how Sudan is all messed up.

Junub are good people just like Northerners but they can not live together with one government because its never ever been that way.

Governments are trying to take over the role of community and tribe and act like they care but they dont South Sudan needs alot of work before it can become fully successful in taking care of all those southerners from different ethnic backgrounds Dinka vs Nuer vs Shilluk vs etc always a problem i dont think the Shilluk feel comfortable with a Nuer or Dinka being there president how this has never been so how can u force it now.

Africans have colonized others because of there European Western ideology. Sudan forced the whole country to be One by dominance and force the whole country to speak arabic which is basically shameful for a southern makes him feel dominated.

Posts: 410 | From: Al-Ard | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Southerner who said can i marry your sister is the most important thing ever said in that meeting and shows you how Sudan is all messed up.
Exactly
Very legitimate question
Especially in the context of certain Northern Sudanese who deem themselves Arabs and call their Southern brethren, Muslim or otherwise, ''black Africans''.

The question cuts through all the words that sound fine and dandy on paper, you know, the type of words that everyone agrees with on a cognitive level, but rarely manifest through day to day behavior. Therefore the question, or rather, the uneasiness it may illicit, signals how congruent people really are with their message of ''unity'' and ''peace''.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peregrine
Member # 17741

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peregrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Kalonji,

I said the man who put that question was just displaying a deep inferiority complex. It's like a black man who asks a white man: would you let me marry your daughter.
Any black man who thinks like that is a complete psychological loser. If you are black and you are OK with that, then why do you have to want or wonder about marrying somebody else's daughter.

Maybe the South Sudan man didn't know that the North Sudananese are a pitiful lot:they are colonised from head to toe by a really backward and degenerate culture from across the pond yet they don't realise it. Sheer stupidity. Taharqua would be writhing with shame in his grave.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^
You are imposing your opinions onto the situation, the point had nothing to do with him being inferiority complex, he was making a point that it would be a problem for their offspring to get married due to their cultural differences.

Simply put he was not asking in reality but making a point.

and yes Northern Sudanese are pitiful, once a thriving Empire that Built Pyramids and Temples and Cathedrals to the Islam Arab Wannabe bootlicking trash of a nation it is today.

Don't forget these people don't even claim Tarahqo as their ancestor, they claim some Pedephile Illiterate Desert Renegade that Plagerized the Torah as their ancestor.

A Pitiful lot is an understatement...

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just call me Jari

Man Jari could not of said it better my self.

The first time I heard a North Sudanese call himself Black was on a video from Aljazeera.

They REALLY hate themselves and they push the anger and resentment they get from "Real" Arabs on to the Southern Sudanese. They call Southerners "Abeed" because that is what they are called in Saudi Arabia, Lebanon etc. If only they could wake up and realize they should be proud of their heritage and love the color they are. Sadly though brainwashing has seriously corrupted there way of thinking.

I almost could not stop Laughing when I saw the "Arabs" of Abeya who are against Abeya from Joining South Sudan they look blacker then Many Black Africans in South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenya etc. Really though the only way of knowing who is Arab or Black is by the way they dress. Aside from that it hard to tell the differences.

What I don't understand is why any of them would think it's better to be Arab then what you really are. Even Upper Egyptians seem more happy to call themselves Africans then those Northern Sudanese.

I really hope I will see the day when North Sudanese claim themselves as Africans and put there people before there obsession of being Arabs and laughed at by other Arabs.

I REALLY want to like North Sudanaese but Man they make it hard.......Right now Sadly they are The embarassment of Africa. First they attack the south, Then Darfur and also Beja lands. Except for the South, the West and East are MUSLIMS yet they don't claim themselves as Arabs so there lies the problem. Don't forget the stories about how the Janjaweed would bring "Arab"(Bahahahahah got to laugh)Women along to insult the African Darfuris and tell them they are being Attacked because they are Black and would tear up there qurans. To see an entire country so pathetically run that being an Arab means your better then your muslim brothers is just shameful. This all I can say for now about these North Sudanese with mental health problems.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KING,

What is "black"? Who gets to define what "black" is and who is "black"?

We're waiting white boy.......................

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KING,

How do you know what you "believe" you know? Have you ever been to Africa?

You're just another white boy who can't find New York City on a map or should be trying to figure out how much of the household income your "Dear Father" is giving to strippers and hookers, while derangely believing he knows everything about Africa, Africans, and African Americans.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
AswaniAswad wrote:
quote:

How do you know that a "Southerner" said that? Do you believe everything that someone writes? Do you not have the ability to know there is a narrative about Africans that the media like to propagandize?
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
The first time I heard a North Sudanese call himself Black was on a video from Aljazeera.

They REALLY hate themselves

Mann, i'm sicka y'all being so quick to push social mores from your psyche, the stuff we're familiar with, on people living elsewhere on the globe.

If plenty of Muslim Nubians, millions today in Southern Egypt are dark skinned and consider themselves black i'm sure some Northern Sudanese do too. Ok there're those who don't. Hell i've met Irish who don't consider themselves white and there are extremely pale Middle Easterners who might call themselves white but don't because of white (European) people -- one of my friends always called himself black cuz his dad grew up in the same area ma mom did and was "blacker" (not physically [Big Grin] ) than me.

Same thing with the daughter comment.

That said i agree about the lameness of Arab chauvinism on African soil, but what could be done with who they culturally identify with and who they don't?

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Do any of you clowns know why the Northern Sudanese call themselves arabs?

Do any of you clowns know why some Chinese call themselves arabs?

Do any of you clowns know why some Indonesians call themselves arabs?

Do any of you clowns know why some west Asians call themselves arabs?

Since you guys are supposed to be experts, inform everyone.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
quote:
Originally posted by KING:

They REALLY hate themselves

Mann, i'm sicka y'all being so quick to push social mores from your psyche, the stuff we're familiar with, on people living elsewhere on the globe.

If plenty of Muslim Nubians, millions today in Southern Egypt are dark skinned and consider themselves black i'm sure some Northern Sudanese do too. Ok there're those who don't. Hell i've met Irish who don't consider themselves white and there are extremely pale Middle Easterners who might call themselves white but don't because of white (European) people -- one of my friends always called himself black cuz his dad grew up in the same area ma mom did and was "blacker" (not physically [Big Grin] ) than me.

Same thing with the daughter comment.

That said i agree about the lameness of Arab chauvinism on African soil, but what could be done with who they culturally identify with and who they don't?

Although I agree with the portion of your post that cautions against generalising, your comparisons with Europeans are totally off beat.

Cleary, completely different mechanisms are at work here, and the Sudanese conflict simply can't be compared with Europeans conceptualising themselves as non-white, because said personal identification is not accompanied with both foreign (Arab in the case of Janjaweed) models of discrimination and intrinsically linked hatred and genocide, but rather, with personal and individual choice to distance oneself with a given racial construct.

quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
Kalonji,

I said the man who put that question was just displaying a deep inferiority complex. It's like a black man who asks a white man: would you let me marry your daughter.
Any black man who thinks like that is a complete psychological loser. If you are black and you are OK with that, then why do you have to want or wonder about marrying somebody else's daughter.

Maybe the South Sudan man didn't know that the North Sudananese are a pitiful lot:they are colonised from head to toe by a really backward and degenerate culture from across the pond yet they don't realise it. Sheer stupidity. Taharqua would be writhing with shame in his grave.

I know what you mean, but what you say isn't applicable, because he was asking hypothetically.

It's like Marthin Luther saying he dreamt of the days that whites and blacks would co-exist and hold hands.
I don't think that contemporary black people and Martin Luther by extension, were boot lickin' folks, anxious and excited to hold hands with the same white people, who just beated them to pulp the other day.

Of course not, he was simply talking about what would be in the best interest for all parties in his society.

In the same way, the Southern Sudanese is, judging by the language he used, asking his question hypothetically.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Kalonji,
OK, but let me say that a lot of Lebanese and Indians and now Chinese are living in Africa. They get rich and those who decide to stay end up living 10 times better than the average African. They live in the best part of town and drive the lastest vehicles. Proof: very rarely do I ever see a Lebanese or Indian take a taxi. Some whites do it, but they are mainly tourists.

Now to my point: I have yet to hear of a case or know of a case where a Lebanese asks Africans whether they would allow them to marry somebody's African daughter. That kind of thinking is never, ever on their minds. And they have been resident in West Africa for the past 70-100 years or so.

What the Dinka, Nuer and others of South Sudan should do is think of how to develop their area on their own terms. Just as the Lebanese and Indians make money on their own terms. They should form cooperative units, set up their own banks, build their own roads, set up their own clinics as they fit. I mean what else, instead of putting a dumb question to some Arab imposter.

Example: there is this story about Jews and education in the U.S. There was a time when "numerus clausus" was applied to Jewish admittance to Harvard University--supposedly the numero uno U.S. university. Well, what did the Jews do? They just went down the street and took over MIT. And they still own it. And that's where big names like Samuelson, Chomsky, Pinker and others strutted their stuff to their hearts' content.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^
Blacks are too busy trying to be everybody else, Too busy Stuck on some Arab Muslim Sh@t, Too Busy Killing Each other and Civil wars and Fighting over diamonds etc.

The Difference between the Jew and a Black is the Jews work collectivly as a Group to better their interest and Economic and Social Standing. Even when they disagree they work collectively toward middle ground, Blacks on the other hand fight and kill each other over Trivial Sh@t like a passage in the Koran or Bible, or making some money off the backs of their own people.

Hate the Jew all you want but he knows how to Make money off the backs of NON JEWS, while working to better their situation.

This is why the so called "Willie Lynch" Myth is another Blame Whitey attempt by Jelly Roll Negros to put the Nigger Mentality seen in Blacks world wide on the White man.

The Willie Lynch Syndrome existed in Africans before Willie Lynch was born..and can be seen all across the continent of Africa, the Willie Lynch Syndrome is Niggerism....(Perfect example of Niggerism...Niggas in Sierra Leone Chopping off Arms and Raping women over some diamonds...STUPID ass "Rebels" should be Genocided and Fumagated"..)

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sudanese president: "Sharia law has always stipulated that one must whip, cut, or kill"

He said it. Is Omar al-Bashir some kind of Islamophobe? No, he is looking forward to using the outcome of southern Sudan's independence referendum to ramp up Sharia law within the remainder of the country. Religious minorities in the north are rightfully afraid (along with all minorities who will be further marginalized under Bashir's intended campaign of cultural Arabization), given the subjugated status Islamic law prescribes for them (Qur'an 9:29). The entire population can look forward to more punishments like the flogging of a terrified woman by laughing police, which Bashir has emphatically defended.

When one looks at the contents of Sharia law and the Quranic verses and ahadith that underly it, it is easy to confirm that Bashir is not just a thug abusing the law; rather, it is Sharia that validates and guides his thuggery.

Fears grow for minorities in north Sudan if south votes to secede

President Omar al-Bashir's uncompromising stance on imposing sharia law and the Arabic language if south Sudan votes for independence in the referendum bodes ill for cultural diversity

-
Sudan referendum: President Omar al-Bashir has said he will consolidate north Sudan as an Arab-Islamic state if the south votes for independence in the referendum. Photograph: Philip Dhil/EPA

As southern Sudanese prepare to vote for independence tomorrow, the jubilation at the prospective breakup of Sudan that is so widespread in the south is not shared by everyone in the north.

Particularly concerned are people in the two "contested areas" - South Kordofan and Blue Nile - who fought alongside the southerners in the civil war but have been left in the north by Sudan's comprehensive peace agreement (CPA).

With predominantly African populations of Nuba and Ingessana, who practise Christianity and traditional religions in addition to Islam, the people of the two areas are now being referred to as janubeen jadeed - the new southerners. This reflects their potential future status as marginalised Africans on the southern periphery of an integrated Arab-Islamist state. Precisely the same situation that led to the southerners calling for independence. [...]

Under the CPA, the two areas are supposed to have "popular consultation" on their future status, but this process - like the referendum for Abyei district - is completely off-track and people are extremely nervous about their future should the south vote to secede and President Omar al-Bashir carry out his threat to amend the constitution to consolidate north Sudan as an Arab-Islamic state with no concessions for racial or religious minorities.

Bashir recently declared: "If south Sudan secedes, we will change the constitution, and at that time there will be no time to speak of diversity of culture and ethnicity ... sharia and Islam will be the main source for the constitution, Islam the official religion and Arabic the official language."

This statement - coupled with his defiant stance on Islamic law after international condemnation of a YouTube video of a woman being flogged by laughing policemen - has caused massive unease among north Sudan's minorities.

Bashir said those calling for an investigation into the ill-treatment misunderstood Islam, because "sharia law has always stipulated that one must whip, cut, or kill".

Kamal Kambal, of Nuba Mountains Solidarity Abroad, says: "This is the reason why the southerners want to break away, and of course it is also going to be a disaster for those of us who are going to be forced to live with people with this mindset." Pointing out that the Nuba had been fighting alongside the south "to prevent the imposition of sharia law and Arabic culture", Kambal adds: "For us, this statement is a declaration of war." [...]

"Bashir clearly doesn't recognise the rights of anyone other than Arabs and Muslims," Kambal says. "He allowed cultural and religious freedom for minorities while he wanted to keep the southerners on board, but what rights will Christians and minority people like the Nuba have after the south breaks away?"He believes that Britain and the CPA's other international guarantors are "currently only concerned about the south and the referendum, and have forgotten about the CPA's protocol on the two contested areas, which stipulates 'popular consultation' on the future status of South Kordofan and Blue Nile".Ahmed Hussein Adam, spokesman for Darfur's Justice and Equality Movement, says: "This has revealed the true face of President Bashir and gives a clear indication of the type of state we're going to be left with after the separation of the south...."

Guardian.co..uk

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
vwwvv,

What exactly is the point of your post?

If you don't like Sharia law, you don't like Sharia law. What do you want us to do about it?

If you hate it so much, go to all of the muslim countries who practice it and do something about it.

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Folks this character Just call me Jari is another troll chum who has a severe case of penile blisters. LOL!
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
lamin wrote:
--------------------------------------
OK, but let me say that a lot of Lebanese and Indians and now Chinese are living in Africa. They get rich and those who decide to stay end up living 10 times better than the average African. They live in the best part of town and drive the lastest vehicles. Proof: very rarely do I ever see a Lebanese or Indian take a taxi. Some whites do it, but they are mainly tourists.
--------------------------------------

You should know by now that mindless emotional opinion which is a result of your mental sodimization by your white owners does not pass the mustard on this forum.

Back this up with facts and evidence. We're waiting..................................

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the case of the Irish i mentioned, the lack of identification (non-anglo, non-white) still stems from reason: the brutal British Irish interaction over the past several centuries.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AswaniAswad
Member # 16742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AswaniAswad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sudanese of the North they know they are african but u cant deny that they are both different just as Nuer and Dinka always fight and shilluk in the middle falling victim to there feud.

Southern Sudanese are not in a unity its obvious they have always had tribal clashes.

Lets be truthful its really about religion,culture,and identity. Sudan is a arabic speaking country forced to speak arabic and follow islam and if i was a Jenub from the Nuer tribe i would feel like i have been conquered,humiliated,and ashamed to speak arabic,read it and write it. This is not a government for All Sudanese just the North.

Posts: 410 | From: Al-Ard | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that explains my experiences (only a few) of Southern coldness yet Northern contentment ("it's all good, we still love our Southern Sudanese brothers)
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is something that will not happen but I wish it would..the revival of the Meroitic script as a unifier but the problem is bigger than cultural

Control of Sudan's oil a big issue in January vote

PALOICH, Sudan – The pipelines run through the north. Most of the oil is in the south. That may explain why Akuoc Ten Diing and five other Southern Sudanese officials were treated to a 10-day, all-expense paid tour of China's domestic oil industry this fall.

They were guided by female interpreters and dined on lavish meals. "They wanted to make new relations with us," Diing said. "Before they were dealing directly with Khartoum."
Southern Sudan holds an independence referendum in January that is likely to see Africa's largest country split in two. The oil in the south, which has been controlled from the northern capital of Khartoum, will instead be controlled by the southern capital of Juba.

China looks to be straddling the middle, and has been seeking strong relations with officials in both Sudan's north and south.
The Petrodar plant in Paloich, a town in middle Sudan near the north-south border, is an array of silver water tanks, towering rigs, and high-tension power lines where Chinese supervisors and Sudanese laborers wear bright red and blue uniforms.

The expanse of technology seems out of place in this sun-scorched part of Upper Nile state, an oil-rich but impoverished region where locals live in mud huts.

Sudan is sub-Saharan Africa's third-largest oil producer, behind Nigeria and Angola. It produced 490,000 barrels of oil a day last year, a 50 percent increase from 2006.
China's interest here is high. The China Petroleum Corporation owns 41 percent of Petrodar, and a second Chinese company owns 6 percent. Sudan's government owns 8 percent.
Oil is big money in Southern Sudan, which stands to rake in $4.4 billion in oil revenues in 2010. That's almost 98 percent of the region's revenues. The government will bring in only $100 million through other sources.

The oil industry is seen as a potential flashpoint between the north and south, but it may also serve to tie the two together. Earlier this month, the ministers for oil and defense from both north and south met in Sudan's oil-producing middle and agreed that joint security forces will guard installations before and after the Jan. 9 referendum.
The fact that oil companies like Petrodar paid billions of dollars to start exporting southern oil through a nearly 900-mile (1,400-kilometer) pipeline to north Sudan's Red Sea port means that these Khartoum-friendly companies will continue to have leverage over the south's main source of revenue, according to the

European Coalition of Oil in Sudan.
But China has acted wisely in its relations with both north and south since the two ended a civil war in 2005, said oil expert Dan Large, research director at the School of Oriental and African Studies' Africa-Asia Center in London.
The Chinese government has essentially refashioned its bilaterial ties with Sudan "into triangular relations between Beijing, Khartoum and now Juba so that it now has independent, if overlapping, relations with both," Large said.

The Chinese Consul General in Juba, Li Zhiguo, told The Associated Press that the shared interests of Khartoum and Juba in building two cooperative states after southern secession makes Beijing certain that they can maintain close ties with both governments.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pol&action=display&thread=665#ixzz1AhzFW09s

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
AswaniAswad,
But the Southerners use English in their universities and as far as I know they still have to use some kind of Arabic if they want to talk to each other across the linguistic divides. Let's face it: the whole continent is a mess of alienation.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
Kalonji,

Now to my point: I have yet to hear of a case or know of a case where a Lebanese asks Africans whether they would allow them to marry somebody's African daughter. That kind of thinking is never, ever on their minds. And they have been resident in West Africa for the past 70-100 years or so.

What the Dinka, Nuer and others of South Sudan should do is think of how to develop their area on their own terms. Just as the Lebanese and Indians make money on their own terms. They should form cooperative units, set up their own banks, build their own roads, set up their own clinics as they fit. I mean what else, instead of putting a dumb question to some Arab imposter.

Example: there is this story about Jews and education in the U.S. There was a time when "numerus clausus" was applied to Jewish admittance to Harvard University--supposedly the numero uno U.S. university. Well, what did the Jews do? They just went down the street and took over MIT. And they still own it. And that's where big names like Samuelson, Chomsky, Pinker and others strutted their stuff to their hearts' content.

You bring up good points, and I agree with all of them. I only disagree with whether they necessarily apply to the southerner mentioned in the OP.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Kalonji,

But they do! Instead of worrying about whether you would be permitted to marry Bashir's daughter--given what he looks like, no comment--why not think about how to develop the South on your own sweat and brains.

AswaniAswad
Member # 16742

Rate Member
Southern Sudan has been helped only by one People Ethiopia in Southern Sudan there is an Ethiopian Bank.

South Sudan is basically starting all over I wish they still had John Garang but he is resting from this Burden he would of had.

I believe Garang was the only Shade for the Southern Sudanese People and there Tribal conflicts. I have heard that Shilluk,Nuer,and Dinka all respected and Loved Garang.

I have mixed feelings of Southern Sudan one of Joy and another one Worried about the outcome and how they are going to get along. South sudan has so much to do and i have plans of doing business in Juba

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
lamin wrote:
-------------------------------------
But they do! Instead of worrying about whether you would be permitted to marry Bashir's daughter--given what he looks like, no comment--why not think about how to develop the South on your own sweat and brains.
-------------------------------------

Again why don't you answer my question instead of running. How do you know a southerner or anyone else asked that question?

If you don't understand the formula by now, then you have no business with a tv, radio, internet access, or reading type of newpaper, magazine, or any other type of written material.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com