EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » More Revelations from the Mdu Ntr

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Revelations from the Mdu Ntr
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(For these examples, it would be helpful if everyone concerned has access to Budge's Hieroglyphic dictionary; it's available practically everywhere.)

In a listing on my website, I posted a list of homonyms from the Mdu Ntr that correspond to the word "Kemet" in the language, but when viewed carefully they appear not to be homonyms at all, but merely different ways of writing or conveying the same thought, and having the same etymology, but more importantly, as in all human languages, expresses an ideology:

------------
Root: "Km" - to be Black

Q = Coptic "K" and "Tch"(Budge)

page: 770b
Kemti (written: q.ma.t.i; the "ma" is simply "m"; I think it is wrong to automatically assume that it's always pronounced "ma") - statue, form, image

Kemam (written: q.ma.a.m.[Det: boomerang and bird alighting (G41)] - to form, fashion, create

page: 771b
Kemi (written: q.m.i [Det: house over niw.t]) - land of the south, upper Egypt

Kemti (written: q.m.ti. [Det: statue or "tut"] - image, statue

----------------------

K = Coptic "K" and sometimes "Tch" (Budge)

page: 788a
Kemti (written: Kem.m.t.i)[Det: statue or "tut"] - image, statue

Kemti (written: Kem.ti) [Det: statue or "tut"] - image, statue

-------------------------------------------------------

T

page: 821b
Ti (written: the symbol of a tear from the EYE) - form, image, likeness, counterpart

page: 821a
Ti - (written: as a dual stroke) - dual (could this possibly be referring to the image that one sees when looking into a mirror? (Counterpart or reflection?) I think it does...

page: 826a
Twt/Tut - (Coptic: Touwt/Thwout) - resemble, like, as; also used to describe a community of people; a nationality/clan/etc...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ray2006
Member # 10891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good try,but unfortunately Budge's dictionary is FLAWED.

His main mistakes was to mix up all of the AE language periods without making major distinctions..
This is why no sane archeologists ever used his dictionary..

The AE language of the Ptolomeic period was very different from the classical AE period..

EVEN Champollion did recognize this(I am not fan of his work)

However Champollion failed to recognize that the AE language changed forever from the Ramsesses period onwards...
Why ?Because he relied too much on Coptic and made wild guesses etc..this is in his "Grammaire"

Finally- Budge,I believe, realized that Champollion was wrong but he ATTEMPTED TO reconcile these differences in his Dictionary..

Also funny that he never updated his grammars ,etc as far as I can determine..etc..

ryb

Notes:
1-a scholar that has tried to follow up on Budge's work is Dr O. Alsaadawi BUT makes a very unconvincing theory that is full of gross mistakes and tries to tie it in with pre-Classical Arabic and the muslim faith..
He took,borrowed(!?) his ideas from the works of one Tarek Abdel Moty

2-Tarek Abdel Moty- he does seem to have found proof,at least part of it..
Unfortunaterly little is known as to how exactly he arrived at this conclusion..but he does make a very convincing point in regards to the mitakes of Champollion and that of if his followers,including the alternate theorists like Dr O. Alsaadawi

3-As Mr Tarek A. Moty main works are in Arabic-so up to those that can understand that language to further persue this..

Posts: 305 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Poor effort.

You repat the same comment about Budge and Champollion over and over again, but there is never and "ACT II".

You know, the part where you tell us what the 'proper translations are', and according to whom.\

Your discourse is FLAWED.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
^ Poor effort.

You repat the same comment about Budge and Champollion over and over again, but there is never and "ACT II".

You know, the part where you tell us what the 'proper translations are', and according to whom.\

Your discourse is FLAWED.

[Smile] [Big Grin] [Wink]
yes!...and don't you just LUV these idiots who post absolute trite as this "Ray5950." It appears that some here on this board think that everyone is as shallow and as vacuous as they are. His response to my post is to say that Budge's dictionary is flawed, when we're not even discussing the entirety of Budge's dictionary, just the words cited, and this poor, ignorant soul cannot cite any instance where the words cited are inaccurate or flawed. But this is what we have come to expect on such a forum as this...
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another relevation somewhat, concerning the word "Nubian" and its denotation of Non Egyptians:

The king of Egypt had many names including:

quote:

c) The "golden Horus name"

The meaning of the third part of the royal titulary, the "golden Horus name" Golden Horus , is more disputed. It represents the falcon god Horus perched on a symbol that usually represents "gold".
Based on the Greek equivalent of this title on the Rosetta Stone, which translates into English as "superior to (his) foes", it has been proposed that the hieroglyphs symbolised Horus as victorious over Seth, "the Ombite" (another possible reading of the hieroglyph on which the falcon is standing). This was, no doubt, the interpretation of Greek times, when the opposition between Horus and Seth was much more pronounced than in earlier times. For these earlier periods, however, the evidence may point in another direction.
If the "golden Horus name" symbolised Horus’ victory over his enemy Seth, one might expect that the names following this group should be aggressive in nature, but most of the time, those names are far from being bellicose.
In a context dealing with the titulary of Thutmosis III that king says "he (Amun) modelled me as a falcon of gold". Thutmosis III’s co-regent Hatshepsut calls herself "the female Horus of fine gold". The concept of the golden falcon can be definitely traced back to the 11th Dynasty. An inscription of the 12th Dynasty describes the golden Horus name as the "name of gold".
The notion of "gold" is strongly linked to the notion of "eternity". The burial chamber in the royal tombs of the New Kingdom was often called the "golden room", not (only) because it was stacked up with gold, but because it was there for eternity. The "golden Horus name" may convey the same notion of eternity, expressing the wish that the king may be an eternal Horus.

It strikes me odd how many Egyptologists go through GREAT effort not to call this name or references to the "golden" ones by the appropriate term in English: NUBIAN. The fact that the King had a Nubian name and that golden ones were "Nubians" makes the idea of Nubians being a distinct polity to the south of Egypt even more ridiculous. South of Egypt today is what is called the Nubian Desert, not because of the PEOPLE, but because that is where the GOLD MINES of ancient Egypt were.
Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^*sigh* This issue about the Egyptian word for gold-- nubti and its eventual conversion into 'Nubian' has been brought up before, but sadly no search function.

Of course this brings us back to the topic of the whole "Nubia" fallacy which has also been discussed before numerous times.

Posts: 26343 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com