EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » the origin of the word" coptic" please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the origin of the word" coptic" please
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
linguisticlaly
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Batman, discovering misconception:
linguisticlaly

What's that word!

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the origin of this word " coptic" that describes the egyptian christian people lingually
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some debate where the word Copt comes from but most likely it either comes from Coptos[Geb-ti] in Upper Egypt or from the mispronunciation by the Greeks of Hi-ku-ptah in Memphis. Untill the Mamluke era it meant all Egyptians and was never exclusively used for Christian Egyptians. The word Copt just means Egyptian nothing more or less. Of course, its a foreign applied word instead of what the ancient Egyptians called themselves.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coptic comes from QubT, comes from Aiguptos, comes from hwt-k3-ptḥ (*Hāwit-kāʔ-Pitáḥ, perhaps?).

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar is right it has two one my Name Hikuptah for Memphis i felt in love with the city thats were i get my nickname from. The other is Qubt but i always find it weird that the Ethiopians call egyptians Qebtse and the poetic word for egypt which is Masri i always thought that meant the land of Meser=Lentils.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also here check under Etymology :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copt

Wikipedia is great! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikuptah:
Ausar is right it has two one my Name Hikuptah for Memphis i felt in love with the city thats were i get my nickname from. The other is Qubt but i always find it weird that the Ethiopians call egyptians Qebtse and the poetic word for egypt which is Masri i always thought that meant the land of Meser=Lentils.

I'm surprised by your knowledge of Ethiopia. Yes, Egypt is Gibts (not with a "q") in Amharic and Gibtsi in Tigrinya. It came from Ge'ez Gibts, which came directly from the Greek Aiguptos and not the Arabic QubT (hence the "g" at the beginning). I don't know why there's a "ts" instead of "T," though. Usually, at least in Amharic, the tendency is to go the other way, with words having "ts" -> "T" (emphatic "t"). Some very ignorant Amharic speaking peasants might say GibT, but they are regarded as uneducated (it's not a preservation of previous pronouncation, just a regular sound change).

The connection between Masr/Misr (Masri/Misri is Tigrinya) always struck me as odd, but now knowing some Arabic, you can easily see that the two roots are completely different. The Arabic name for Egypt is spelled with a saad, aka "Tsadey," pronounced "ts" in Ethiopia (instead of a pharyngealized "s"), so if the "Masr/Misr" name actually existed, it would be "Matsr/Mitsr" (cp. Hebrew Mitzrayim).

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikuptah
Member # 11131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikuptah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there is one more poetic word for egypt and its in the bible Yom its Rahab but does the word u got for Matsr/Mitsr does it mean Lentils in Ethiopian i think most of the people of the east call lentils adess or Meser.

--------------------
Hikuptah Al-Masri

Posts: 526 | From: Aswan Egypt | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com