EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Mesopotamia vs Egypt: which influenced Western civilization more?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mesopotamia vs Egypt: which influenced Western civilization more?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago I had to hand-write a paper for class comparing Egyptian and Mesopotamian civilization and arguing which was more influential on Western civilization. My paper's thesis was that Mesopotamia contributed more to the West, particularly in the area of religion (i.e. similarities between Zoroasterianism and and Christianity, Hammurabi's influence on Old Testament law, etc.). Since then, however, I have discovered quite a few Egyptian influences on Western culture, particularly writing (European scripts are descended from Phoenician which in turn came from Egyptic) and architecture (Greek columns bear a close resemblance to Egyptian ones), so I think I may have been wrong.

To those out there who know more about these two civilizations than I do: which had a greater impact on the West?

Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Your answers can be found here.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neith-Athena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zoroastrianism is Persian and as far as I am aware has nothing to do with Mesopotamia, which means land between two rivers, namely the Tigris and Euphrates. And as many have pointed out on this board, it is a geographical term that is used ambiguously to refer to different civilizations and cultures on purpose, probably by those who like to think that civilization was begun by people with their own skin color. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 140 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Ty...Rex

And what about mathematics, science, astronomy(the 365 day calendar), medicine, dentistry and the principles of anatomical surgery? Check out the various Papyri Note that Alexandria was the scientific and technological centre of Greece while Athens focused on the arts.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it really true that Egyptian writing influenced European writing? I've never heard that.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Europe ultimately inherited writing from Africa and SouthWest Asia.

The term Western civilisation exists in part so that Europeans can pretend/credit for things not indigenous to Europe.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's interesting. I need to read more about that.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrann0saurus:

To those out there who know more about these two civilizations than I do: which had a greater impact on the West?

Rooted on shaky premise: "Egypt" and "Mesopotamia" are treated as though they respresent socio-complex units on equal terms. One denotes an ancient nation state [Egypt], and another is a simply a blanket term tossed around for a region [Mesopotamia] but treated as though it were a nation.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^And if they were to define the region along the Nile in the same ambiguous way, as Nile Valley civilization, then there is no doubt which would be the older and origin of what we call civilization.
Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Correct. Egypt, or Kemet as it was called by its inhabitants was a nation-state whereas 'Mesopotamia' was a geographical region situated between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers (Mesopotamia is greek for 'between the rivers'), which consists of various city-states and nations throughout early history. Therefore it is an unfair comparison. A more accurate comparison would be between Mesopotamia and the Nile Valley.

quote:
Originally posted by Ebony Allen:

Is it really true that Egyptian writing influenced European writing? I've never heard that.

The earliest known script in Europe, at least one which bears the most historical existence is Linear script A, which was the writing of the Minoans. From Linear A came Linear B which was the earliest script used by the Greeks. Linear script A itself is based on Phoenician which is utimately based on Egyptian (African) hieroglyphs.

You can read more here

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual you don't know what you're talking about.
The Minoan script is a common script used by the Proto-Saharan people who founded the civilizations of the Indus Valley, Sumer , Crete and etc.

-

Ancient Writing in Middle Africa

The Oldest Proto-Saharan Writing

-

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The term Western civilisation exists in part so that Europeans can pretend/credit for things not indigenous to Europe.
You meant to say Europe north of Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece...otherwise, please elaborate...
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The term 'Western' civilization is derived from the Western half of the Roman empire, during the early second centurey CE. It were the European nations that developed from this western region of Europe that eventually came to dominate Europe and grew to world powers. Since then, the scholars of these western European nations began to call their collective civilization 'Western' and went so far as to give that same classification to their ancient forebearers-- Rome and Greece, and even earlier civilizations whom they owe their roots-- Mesopotamia and even Egypt! Thus the term 'Western' civlization has been abused by scholars to cover a large area of disparate cultures throughout history that have contributed to the rise of Western Europeans. Which is why it is silly to call Greece (a southeastern European civilization) 'Western' let alone Mesopotamia or the Nile Valley.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:

As usual you don't know what you're talking about.
The Minoan script is a common script used by the Proto-Saharan people who founded the civilizations of the Indus Valley, Sumer , Crete and etc.

As usual, you think you know what you are talking about but don't.

Proto-Saharans have nothing to do with Minoans or even Sumer and the Indus. No valid linguist makes such a claim or acknowledges yours. You are the only one who speaks this nonsense. [Roll Eyes]

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICA I:
quote:
You meant to say Europe north of Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece...otherwise, please elaborate...
The term Western civilisation is used in it's most transgressive form: - To include Mesopotamia and Egypt!

There was actually a recent American documentary called "Western Civilisation" or some such, which featured some pompous British twit, standing in front of the Great Pyramids and talking about 'his ancestors' building it.

Western civilisation is a propaganda construct.

Remember: The apartheid Boers claimed that Southern Africa was western civilisation too, just like North Africa and Egypt to which they compared it.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL @ the "pompous British twit" who said his ancestors built the Great Pyramids!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com