EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Gene flow from North Africa- to S Europe 2013

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gene flow from North Africa- to S Europe 2013
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is another Brenna Henn et al article.
xyyman posted some supplimental text from it on ESR but didn't have access to the main article. Does anybody have it?

I'm not sure what is here, Stonybrook website, public info:

https://ecoevo.stonybrook.edu/hennlab/?page_id=197

^^couldn't open the zip

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23733930

Gene flow from North Africa contributes to differential human genetic diversity in southern Europe. 2013

Botigué LR, Henn BM, Gravel S, Maples BK, Gignoux CR, Corona E, Atzmon G, Burns E, Ostrer H, Flores C, Bertranpetit J, Comas D, Bustamante CD.
Source
Institut de Biologia Evolutiva, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas-Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Departament de Ciències Experimentals i de la Salut, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 08003 Barcelona, Spain.

Abstract
Human genetic diversity in southern Europe is higher than in other regions of the continent. This difference has been attributed to postglacial expansions, the demic diffusion of agriculture from the Near East, and gene flow from Africa. Using SNP data from 2,099 individuals in 43 populations, we show that estimates of recent shared ancestry between Europe and Africa are substantially increased when gene flow from North Africans, rather than Sub-Saharan Africans, is considered. The gradient of North African ancestry accounts for previous observations of low levels of sharing with Sub-Saharan Africa and is independent of recent gene flow from the Near East. The source of genetic diversity in southern Europe has important biomedical implications; we find that most disease risk alleles from genome-wide association studies follow expected patterns of divergence between Europe and North Africa, with the principal exception of multiple sclerosis.

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another interetsing article haven't read yet, full text at link

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/10/237

Human genetic differentiation across the Strait of Gibraltar
Mathias Currat*, Estella S Poloni and Alicia Sanchez-Mazas*

Abstract
Background
The Strait of Gibraltar is a crucial area in the settlement history of modern humans because it represents a possible connection between Africa and Europe. So far, genetic data were inconclusive about the fact that this strait constitutes a barrier to gene flow, as previous results were highly variable depending on the genetic locus studied. The present study evaluates the impact of the Gibraltar region in reducing gene flow between populations from North-Western Africa and South-Western Europe, by comparing formally various genetic loci. First, we compute several statistics of population differentiation. Then, we use an original simulation approach in order to infer the most probable evolutionary scenario for the settlement of the area, taking into account the effects of both demography and natural selection at some loci.

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will bite on gibraltar
Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sage. Did you read the abstract? Quote; " relatively high rate since preNeolithic times".

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Sage. Did you read the abstract? Quote; " relatively high rate since preNeolithic times".

Yes, that's interesting.

And then this:

quote:
However, the remaining 35% of L mtDNAs form European-specific subclades, revealing that there was gene flow from sub-Saharan Africa toward Europe as early as 11,000 yr ago.
--María Cerezo (2013)
Reconstructing ancient mitochondrial DNA links between Africa and Europe

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click%20on%20image%20to%20zoom&p=PMC3&id=3337428_821fig3.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click%20on%20image%20to%20zoom&p=PMC3&id=3337428_821fig2.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3337428/

Supplemental data from that study, by Brenna. Henn.

quote:
Length of IBD Segments: We calculated a second statistic “LEA”, the average length of the segments shared IBD between a pair of individuals, one from European population and the other from North Africa | Sub-Saharan Africa. Normalization was based on the possible number of pairwise comparisons between both populations. LEA reflects the time since gene flow occurred in contrast to WEA (6). Interestingly, LEA shows an opposite pattern, northern and central European populations having higher values than southern ones (Fig. S17). This suggests that gene flow between southern Europe and North Africa is older than that in other regions in Europe, where longer (recent) segments are found.

While inferred IBD sharing does not indicate directionality, the North African samples that have highest IBD sharing with Iberian populations also tend to have the lowest proportion of the European cluster in ADMIXTURE (Fig. 1), e.g. Saharawi, Tunisian Berbers and South Moroccans. This suggests that gene flow occurred from Africa to Europe rather than the other way around.

--Brenna M. Henn
Gene flow from North Africa contributes to differential human genetic diversity in southern Europe

http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2013/05/30/1306223110.DCSupplemental/sapp.pdf

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol aka Ish Gebor:
quote:

Yes, that's interesting.

And then this:

quote:
However, the remaining 35% of L mtDNAs form European-specific subclades, revealing that there was gene flow from sub-Saharan Africa toward Europe as early as 11,000 yr ago.
--María Cerezo (2013)
Reconstructing ancient mitochondrial DNA links between Africa and Europe

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click%20on%20image%20to%20zoom&p=PMC3&id=3337428_821fig3.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click%20on%20image%20to%20zoom&p=PMC3&id=3337428_821fig2.jpg

quote:
Length of IBD Segments: We calculated a second statistic “LEA”, the average length of the segments shared IBD between a pair of individuals, one from European population and the other from North Africa | Sub-Saharan Africa. Normalization was based on the possible number of pairwise comparisons between both populations. LEA reflects the time since gene flow occurred in contrast to WEA (6). Interestingly, LEA shows an opposite pattern, northern and central European populations having higher values than southern ones (Fig. S17). This suggests that gene flow between southern Europe and North Africa is older than that in other regions in Europe, where longer (recent) segments are found.

While inferred IBD sharing does not indicate directionality, the North African samples that have highest IBD sharing with Iberian populations also tend to have the lowest proportion of the European cluster in ADMIXTURE (Fig. 1), e.g. Saharawi, Tunisian Berbers and South Moroccans. This suggests that gene flow occurred from Africa to Europe rather than the other way around.

--Brenna M. Henn
Gene flow from North Africa contributes to differential human genetic diversity in southern Europe

http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2013/05/30/1306223110.DCSupplemental/sapp.pdf

Nice post. I didn't read the new Henn or the Cerezo study yet, but your quotes, along with the Frigi study points out to a very ancient so-called sub-Saharan presence in North Africa. In general, there seem to be very ancient and more recent gene flows in both directions between the Africa and Europe. Something we know or we are hint at by numerous other studies, of course.

Some of those Africans (probably at a bit later date) left some rock art such has these in the Atlas Mountains in the Morocco country (discovered by Susan Searight). So very close to one of the region with very ancient gene flows between Africa and Europe (Iberian peninsula).

-

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

--Brenna M. Henn

http://www.pnas.org/content/suppl/2013/05/30/1306223110.DCSupplemental/sapp.pdf [/QB]

^^^ This is not a comment comprehensive to gene flow between North Africa to Southern Europe. It is describing a gene flow from North Africa to Southern Europe. It is in the context of bi-directional gene flow both ways including back migration from Europe into Africa noted by the same author Brenna Henn
Genomic Ancestry of North Africans Supports Back-to-Africa Migrations Brenna Henn eta al 2012

The relevant issue is how much and when.
I can't comment because I don't have access to this new 2013 paper

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ the comment in the supplement is about Identity by descent.

And why is it in context of last years paper, of a "bi-directional gene flow? Based on what was there a no-directional gene flow? Again, where is the physical anthropological evidence?

Then you go, "I don't have access to this paper"?

Weird to say at least.

-

-

-

Key: Canis - Canary Islands; And - Andalusia; Gal - Galicia; Bas - Basques; Spa - Spain; Por - Portugal; Fra - France; Ita - Italy; Tsi - Tuscany; Gre - Greece ; ItaJ - Italian Jews; AshJ - Ashkenazi Jews; Qat - Qatar; NMor - North Morocco; SMor - South Morocco; OccS - Saharawi; Alg - Algeria; Tun - Tunisia; Lib - Libya; Egy - Egypt; Yri - Yoruba from Nigeria; Mkk - Maasai from Kenya.

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Based on what was there a no-directional gene flow? Again, where is the physical anthropological evidence?

I don't know what a "no directional gene flow is" I didn't use that term

quote:

Weird to say at least.

what's weird about it? You know what I mean, I don't feel like paying to read it right now. xyyman hasn't read it and neither have you, I'm not talking about the suppliment.

Gene flow from North Africa contributes to differential human genetic diversity in southern Europe.

There was gene flow out of and into N Africa from Europe.
The into was talked about in last years article and his article talks about the out of. As stated IBD does not indicate direction

Stop playing games, this paper is not a refutation of last years paper

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
information overload...but thanks for the PM link. Need to process it all.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
Based on what was there a no-directional gene flow? Again, where is the physical anthropological evidence?

I don't know what a "no directional gene flow is" I didn't use that term

quote:

Weird to say at least.

what's weird about it? You know what I mean, I don't feel like paying to read it right now. xyyman hasn't read it and neither have you, I'm not talking about the suppliment.

Gene flow from North Africa contributes to differential human genetic diversity in southern Europe.

There was gene flow out of and into N Africa from Europe.
The into was talked about in last years article and his article talks about the out of. As stated IBD does not indicate direction

Stop playing games, this paper is not a refutation of last years paper

My bad, it was a typo.

Based on what was there a bi-directional gene flow? Again, where is the physical anthropological evidence?

Repost,

And why is it in context of last years paper, of a "bi-directional gene flow? Based on what was there a bi-directional gene flow? Again, where is the physical anthropological evidence?

The weird thing again is, your claiming what the paper is suppose to be and not suppose to be. But you haven't read it, correct? lol

Awkward is yesterday you asked me, from what study that supplemental data came. Today I again have to explain like I did yesterday, that it's from the same paper, as if you did not know it, already. And you conveniently left it out in your original post in this thread, as if it doesn't exist.

The one who needs to stop playing games is you.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
information overload...but thanks for the PM link. Need to process it all.

It's not a overload, it's a summery and canalization of detailed information. To show a logical pattern. Else it would have taken way too long to get to the same point.

I see it kinda' as writing an algorithm.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henn is like an old hen always clucking about inconsequentials. Point is that this matter has been settled a while back by haplogroup and MtDNA analysis. Africa-specific L3, M, and N are found in East and North Africa following the same pattern as E1b1b--the male haplogroup. Point is: wherever the male haplogroup travels the corresponding female haplogroup follows--notwithstanding kidnapping, female war captives, slave purchases[as in North Africa], adding to the gene pool mix.
Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niiicee!!! What paper is the SNP Chart from? I can't recall this from the Henn or Behar paper? Indeed the Great Lakes seem to be the source for all SNPs. The SNP data parallels mtdna-M1, and ydna E1b1*

quote:
^ the comment in the supplement is about Identity by descent.

And why is it in context of last years paper, of a "bi-directional gene flow? Based on what was there a no-directional gene flow? Again, where is the physical anthropological evidence?

Weird to say at least.

-

-

-

Key: Canis - Canary Islands; And - Andalusia; Gal - Galicia; Bas - Basques; Spa - Spain; Por - Portugal; Fra - France; Ita - Italy; Tsi - Tuscany; Gre - Greece ; ItaJ - Italian Jews; AshJ - Ashkenazi Jews; Qat - Qatar; NMor - North Morocco; SMor - South Morocco; OccS - Saharawi; Alg - Algeria; Tun - Tunisia; Lib - Libya; Egy - Egypt; Yri - Yoruba from Nigeria; Mkk - Maasai from Kenya.

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Naw man, I'm bummed out since
my stg drv crapped out and I
lost all the genetic reports
I'd saved up since joining ES.

So I sit and stew 'cos I cain't
cross reference or compare old
against new reports.

@!*&%

Anyway I called the Amazigh activist
and NorthAfrocentric geneticists over
inner African DNA in pre-historic
Europe while they claim no inner
Africans in pre-historic Africa Minor
and like I said before you are dead
on the money about no ice blocking
Iberia <=> Maghreb passage during
the GM hence no need to wait 'till
PGM for population interaction.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
[QB] This is another Brenna Henn et al article.
xyyman posted some supplimental text from it on ESR but didn't have access to the main article. Does anybody have it?

I'm not sure what is here, Stonybrook website, public info:

https://ecoevo.stonybrook.edu/hennlab/?page_id=197

^^couldn't open the zip

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23733930

Gene flow from North Africa contributes to differential human genetic diversity in southern Europe. 2013

Botigué LR, Henn BM, Gravel S, Maples BK, Gignoux CR, Corona E, Atzmon G, Burns E, Ostrer H, Flores C, Bertranpetit J, Comas D, Bustamante CD.
Source
Institut de Biologia Evolutiva, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas-Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Departament de Ciències Experimentals i de la Salut, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 08003 Barcelona, Spain.

Purchase Short-Term Access
Purchase this Article - You may access this article (from the computer you are currently using) for 2 days for US$10.00.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/29/11791.long

maybe Sundiata has this

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com