EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Predynastic Upper Nubia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Predynastic Upper Nubia
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's been a lot of talk about the A-Group in Lower Nubia and its possible contributions to early Egyptian civilization, but do we know anything about Upper Nubia past the 3rd cataract during the same time period (4000-3000 BC)? All I've been able to find is some information on the Pre-Kerma culture:

Pre-Kerma (AncientSudan.org)

The Pre-Kerma Culture

However, this is only one archaeological site near Kerma, and it's not that far into Upper Nubia. I would like to see some information on more upriver Nubian cultures (i.e. the area between Napata and Meroe). Maybe there were some important kingdoms in that area that were similar to Ta-Seti (assuming the whole area wasn't under Ta-Seti's influence sphere).

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Kerma, here's a sketch of ancient Nubian art recovered from that area:

-

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the show the wonders of the african world it is mention that the pre-kerma goes back to at least 5000BC.
The book put out by prof. gates has some info on this too and few recent books like Daily Life of the Nubians.

The problem is the problems in sudan like wars etc...

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southern nubia before the later kush kingdom needs more looking into too.

This region was never conqured by ancient egypt and this is were the later kushite kings came from after lower and upper nubia was freed from egypt.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlos Coke
Member # 19584

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carlos Coke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any Kushite depictions of themselves and the Egyptians in a distinctly Kushite style? Or is Kushire art the same as Egyptian art?
Posts: 838 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Read some of the books,it will answer your questions.

It's best to read the books to get your answers.

I have not read the last two yet,but it looks really interesting.

The kingdom of Kush: the Napatan and Meroitic empires -

Derek A. Welsby

Handbook of Oriental Studies. the Near and Middle East, the Kingdom of Kush: Handbook
by Laszlo Torok.

Ancient Nubia: Egypt's Rival in Africa.
David O'Conner

Daily life of the Nubians.
Robert S. Bianchi

A follow up.

At empire's edge:
exploring Rome's Egyptian frontier

Robert B. Jackson

http://books.google.com/books/about/At_empire_s_edge.html?id=pkBctdZcn84C

Sudan: ancient kingdoms of the Nile

The culture of the ancient Sudanese and Nubian Kingdoms is chronicled in this groundbreaking exhibition catalog.

P.L. Shinne

and

Hellenizing Art in Ancient Nubia 300 B.C. - AD 250 and its Egyptian Models. A Study in "Acculturation" by László Török

Presenting a large body of evidence for the first time, this book offers a comprehensive treatment of Nubian architecture, sculpture, and minor arts in the period between 300 BC-AD 250. It focuses primarily on the Nubian response to the traditional pharaonic, Hellenistic/Roman, Hellenizing, and “hybrid” elements of Ptolemaic and Roman Egyptian culture. The author begins with a history of Nubian art and a critical survey of the literature on Ptolemaic and Roman Egyptian art. Special chapters are then devoted to the discussion of the Egyptian-Greek interaction in the arts of Ptolemaic … read moreEgypt, the place of Egyptian Hellenistic and Hellenizing art within the oikumene, the pluralistic visual world of Ptolemaic and Roman Egypt, as well as on the specific genre of terracotta sculpture. Utilizing examples from Meroe City and Musawwarat es Sufra, the author argues that cultural transfer from Ptolemaic and Roman Egypt to Nubia resulted in an inward-focused adaptation. Therefore, the resulting Nubian art from this period expresses only those aspects of Egyptian and Greek art that are compatible with indigenous Nubian goals.

http://egyptology.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-book-hellenizing-art-in-ancient.html

You could go to Google Books OR amazon.com

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude I so want the Daily Life of the Nubians by Bianchi... [Frown] SOO BAD!!
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by claus3600:
Are there any Kushite depictions of themselves and the Egyptians in a distinctly Kushite style? Or is Kushire art the same as Egyptian art?

Dunno about Kushite depictions of Egyptians, but here's how the Kushites depicted themselves:

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
Dude I so want the Daily Life of the Nubians by Bianchi... [Frown] SOO BAD!!

this one is more important:

Handbook of Oriental Studies. the Near and Middle East, the Kingdom of Kush: Handbook
by Laszlo Torok.
 -

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deleted.
Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:

There's been a lot of talk about the A-Group in Lower Nubia and its possible contributions to early Egyptian civilization, but do we know anything about Upper Nubia past the 3rd cataract during the same time period (4000-3000 BC)? All I've been able to find is some information on the Pre-Kerma culture:

Pre-Kerma (AncientSudan.org)

The Pre-Kerma Culture

However, this is only one archaeological site near Kerma, and it's not that far into Upper Nubia. I would like to see some information on more upriver Nubian cultures (i.e. the area between Napata and Meroe). Maybe there were some important kingdoms in that area that were similar to Ta-Seti (assuming the whole area wasn't under Ta-Seti's influence sphere).

Upper Nubia especially around the Khartoum area was the home of the Khartoum Mesolithic Culture which later gave rise to the Khartoum Neolithic and the Abkan Culture further east to the Red Sea coast. An excellent example of the Khartoum Neolithic would be the Kadruka site.

There is actually a lot of new finds being made by Nubiologists here are just a few sources...

A Neolithic Burial ground from
Upper Nubia as seen from recent
work at Kadruka 23 (KDK23)

Microbotanical Evidence of Domestic Cereals in Africa 7000 Years Ago

The above source shows how the neolithic in Sudan was of local origin, that is the natives made use of local grasses and grains and only adopted Near-Eastern varieties later on from the A-Group who in turn got from the Faiyum Neolithic. The economy was for the most part pastoral.

The next two sources are from Azhari Sadig:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260203099_Reconsidering_the_%27Mesolithic%27_and_%27Neolithic%27_in_Sudan

Reconsidering the ‘Mesolithic’ and ‘Neolithic’ in Sudan

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com