EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Genetic studies on the prehispanic population buried in Punta Azul cave (El Hierro, C

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genetic studies on the prehispanic population buried in Punta Azul cave (El Hierro, C
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440316301686

Genetic studies on the prehispanic population buried in Punta Azul cave (El Hierro, Canary Islands)

Alejandra C. Ordóñeza, , R. Fregelb, , A. Trujillo-Mederosa, , Montserrat Hervellac, , Concepción de-la-Rúac, , Matilde Arnay-de-la-Rosaa

Abstract
The aim of this study was to establish the genetic studies of the population from one of the most important known aboriginal funerary spaces of the island of El Hierro (Canary Islands), the Punta Azul cave, which harbors remains of 127 individuals. Sixty-one adult tibiae were examined, 32 left and 29 right. Radiocarbon dating yields an antiquity of 1015–1210 AD. We have obtained an overall success rate of 88.5% for the molecular sexing, and of 90.16% for the uniparental markers. Short tandem repeats (STR) profiles were also possible for 45.9% of the samples. This performance is a consequence of the good conservation of the bones in their archaeological context. The mtDNA composition of the sample is characterized by the complete fixation of the H1-16260 lineage. These results can be explained by a mixture of consecutive founding events, a bottleneck episode at the beginning of the colonization and/or as a consequence of genetic drift. Paternal lineages were also affected by these processes but in a less acute way. These differences lead us to propose social behaviors as an explanation for this difference. The maternal transmission of the lineages, mentioned in ethnohistorical sources of the Archipelago, could be an explanation. These results could be in agreement with endogamous practices, but the autosomal STR results indicate a relative high diversity. These results have allowed us to characterize the Punta Azul cave population and see the way in which geographical isolation, the process of adaptation and specific social behaviors affected the aboriginal population of the Island.

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DD'eDeN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://bellbeakerblogger.blogspot.com/2016/11/millennium-canary-islander-dna-ordenez.html

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

Posts: 2021 | From: Miami | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downloaded the article will provide feedback when time allows it

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, more evidence that DEBUNKS the Steppes Hypothesis. R1b-M269 was present in Africa BEFORE the arrival of "Europeans". Also more evidence of the continuum. The ancient Natives carried as much as 50% "European" lineage from the Steppes(insert Sarcasm). Lol! The other lineage was South Saharan and indigenous North Saharan. Apparently it was a matrilineal society like a lot of Africans. I wonder how those "white" males made out amongst these Africans? Did they fear for their life(Insert sarcasm). These ancient Africans also carried mtDNA H1 UNIQUE to Africa(North). So much for back-migration (lol!).

Why do we even continue these discussions and absurd beliefs?

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol. I swear yesterday I said to myself gramps is going to claim M269 now based on this paper. And sure enough..
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just read it in context? They have Y-DNA I, which is indisputable evidence of contact (whether direct or indirect) with Iberians. Stop the spin gramps
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Yes "young boi".

Why do I even continue these discussions and absurd beliefs?

Point!! There was NEVER any isolation it was always a continuum. ALL recent papers have proven that. There is no race! There is no "admixture" , the proper label is SHARING. Sharing of SNPs or AIM. Isolation by Distance with increasing frequency emanating from ....YES.....AFRICA! Europeans are a subset of Africans...both old and new. It is only within the last 400years modern Europeans(the subset) has gain control over the world.

"Sure enough" test these ancient Africans(precolonial) and my money is they carry an OLDER version of Western European (R1b-M269). But they wouldn't. you know why? Tic! Tic! Tic!

This is not rocket science.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Do you know why I am ALWAYS right and I got this?

Answer: I am not prejudiced by modern politics and modern European influence. The answers are staring them in the face.

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
Why not just read it in context? They have Y-DNA I, which is indisputable evidence of contact (whether direct or indirect) with Iberians. Stop the spin gramps

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
I assume you have the Supplemental? In the main paper(which I downloaded) they Reported for 16males carrying E1a, R1b-M269 and E-M81 Table 2. But they typed 36 males. Are they with-holding data....yDNA -I ?

--------------------

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Ok gramps. I give up. Your overwhelming evidence debunked me..
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
You don't get off that easily. WTF? yDNA-I where? when? what? lol!
They reported only 16 haplogroups but said they typed 36 males. You know something I don't.?

share!

quote:
Ok gramps. I give up. Your overwhelming evidence debunked me..

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
See the other report with 'aboriginal' Canary Island 'aDNA'. Also look at their mtDNAs. These sampled individuals might even be less African than modern day coastal Maghrebis.

Demographic history of Canary Islands male gene-pool: replacement of native lineages by European
http://bmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2148-9-181

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Now he is "moonwalking". Lol! But you are too young to know what that is. "OTHER" report? Careful you are tripping over yourself. ..."young bwoi".

What is "less African"? Berbers are Africans!!

Even if I is present doesn’t that prove me correct ....again. "I" is also African. The belief is yDNA-I has a Sardinian origin. And it is absent in East Africa. Tic! Tic! Tic! Significance?

Quit while you are behind!

There was no "I" in the El Hierro. But the question remains. Why did they only report 16 out of 36 male haplogroups? Agreed they were warranted in focusing on R1b-M269 and the high frequency PRIOR to the arrival of "Europeans". That is significant. Proving "European" colonialism had very little genetic impact...on the male side. Although there was a decease in South Saharan lineage.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
DP
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
C'mon gramps. You were caught with your pants down making fictitious claims about Canary Island uniparentals talking 'bout "they're all H1" and "pure African".

Then you learn about the larger context of regional 'aDNA' and the first thing you do is scramble for half-baked explanations why Meslithic European mtDNAs and Y DNAs are there. You're caught with your pants down. Thumping your chest with your buttcheeks out doesn't make you right. It makes you look rediculous.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
This is a teaching moment. Don't get caught up in modern geopolitics. There is no "European" genes. "Europe" is only 7 miles from Africa!!!!! Europeans are new to the world and recently added to the civilized world. Civilization started in Africa. Eurocentric beliefs is screwing up the world. They only dominated the world for the last 400years and the direction China, India, South America.... and Africa is heading. It will come to an end within the next 100years. And we will be back on track. Back to our civil way of doing things as it should be.

I can safely conclude now. Just like mtDNA-H . R-M269 is ALSO of African origin. I always speculated but waiting on more proof. This is further affirmation.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Yeah! Yeah! Make shyte up now. SMH

quote:
[ C'mon gramps. You're caught with your pants down scrambling for half-baked explations why Meslithic European mtDNAs and Y DNAs are there. Thumping your chest with your buttcheeks out doesn't make you right. It makes you look rediculous. [/QB]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com