EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » PBS Tutankhamun: Allies & Enemies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PBS Tutankhamun: Allies & Enemies
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PBS Announces TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES
The documentary is premiering Wednesday, Nov. 23, 8-10 p.m. ET.
by Michael Major Sep. 28, 2022

In celebration of the upcoming 100th anniversary of KING Tutankhamun's tomb discovery, PBS announced TODAY TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES, a new two-hour documentary investigating KING Tut's life and legacy, premiering Wednesday, Nov. 23, 8-10 p.m. ET (check local listings) on PBS, PBS.org and the PBS Video app.

Produced and shot on location by an all-Egyptian crew led by filmmaker and executive producer Hossam Aboul-Magd, TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES goes beyond examining Tut's tomb and treasures. The film aims to share the Egyptian pharaoh's story from his point of view and unpacks the short-lived human existence of the "Boy King." Lead archaeologist Dr. Yasmin El Shazly and photographer Mahmoud Rashad explore Egypt and the Americas, meeting with historians, archaeologists and scientists to inspect historical inconsistencies and delve into secrets surrounding Tut's childhood and family.

As Dr. El Shazly searched for answers, she said, "I'm doing so not only because I am an archaeologist, but as an Egyptian who wants to understand the history of my magnificent civilization." When asked why she is on a mission to examine the different theories surrounding the Boy King's life and legacy, she stated, "King Tut is not the golden mask. Tut was a human being just like anyone else. He was probably less fortunate than many."

"TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES offers a unique perspective on the epic story of KING Tutankhamun," said Bill Gardner, vice president of multiplatform programming and head of development at PBS. "So much more than a collection of priceless artifacts, his legacy places him at the center of one of the most intriguing political thrillers of all human history. Following the clues through the eyes of Egyptian researchers brings an immersive authenticity that is unlike any other telling of this fascinating tale."

Using drone footage and computed tomography science (CT scans), TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES takes a closer look at KING Tut's burial. The Egyptian team led by Dr. El Shazly gives viewers special access to newly discovered tombs that shed light on new theories about the politics and intrigue of this dramatic period of seismic change in Egyptian history. Journeying across Egypt from Cairo to Luxor, the film provides an in-depth exploration pursuing answers about KING Tut, the powers and people that impacted his life and death, and the legacy his reign left behind.

TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES will stream simultaneously with broadcast on all station-branded PBS platforms, including PBS.org and the PBS Video app, available on iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Samsung Smart TV, Chromecast and VIZIO. All titles will also be available for streaming with closed captioning in English and Spanish. PBS station members can also view other series, documentaries and specials via PBS Passport. For more information about PBS Passport, visit the PBS Passport FAQ website.

TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES is directed by filmmaker and executive producer Hossam Aboul-Magd, co-hosted by lead archaeologist Dr. Yasmin El Shazly, and shot by photographer and co-host Mahmoud Rashad. Bill Gardner is the executive-in-charge for PBS.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New PBS Tut special

What I gleaned from some other newstream article the main points are

* Tut wasn't murdered
* Tut's mother could've been Nefertiti
* Tut looked nothing like contemporaneous art portrayed him.

PBS continues the ancient Egyptians were modern Egyptians trope.
See PBS (2018) First Civilizations Egyptian beginnings @
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010118;p=4#000179
or
www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010066#000020

aDNA STRs suggests TUT's mum is of the same ultimate (incestuous) line of descent as himself, ruling out Nefertiti

-

(Precisions solicited, please.)

=-=-=

Coming up

* Comparing Tut to current global STRs
* Narrowing down region dominant STRs to current locales/ethnic groups
* Tut is closest to which current Egypt/Sudan only STRs

* Exhaustive gallery of contemporaneous Tut art works

* Reliability of reconstructions of actual individual depicted

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More Tut docs??
It's always got to be this one who didn't live past 19?
 -

they have one here of the forensic bust
but, just a teaser. They one show an early stage of the reconstruction, will make us wait for the reveal.
I haven't watched the short interviews yet.

from the forensic clip:
quote:

Canadian sculptor, Christian Corbet,

..."fully set on creating a forensic facial reconstruction
of King Tut, where it'll go forensic first,
then it'll go creative.
So this is my sculpting studio
and I'm gonna show you a few things
with respect to what I do in order to create
the forensic facial reconstruction.
First step's going to be, landing tissue markers.
There are tissue marker charts that you use in order
to find out the measurements
and where they're supposed to go.
And then we slowly build up muscle by muscle.
(gentle music)
The point of the camera's to take as many pictures
as possible of all the stages.
So the next stage is finding the spots
where we are going to be placing tissue markers.
Well, here we are a couple weeks
into the forensic facial reconstruction
of King Tutankhamun, this is the very early stage.
A lot of people think of King Tut as the sort of
the golden mask image and it's almost idealized
with the bright colors and the perfect features
but here we have something completely different.
And the creating part of it is, how do I depict Tut
after the forensic stage.
Do I make him smile?
Do I make him frown?
Do I make him look worried, concerned?
I really want King Tut to come to life
in a completely new and exciting way.
And, who knows, perhaps create maybe
the most definitive look of one
of the most famous kings of all time. "

2004 reconstruction by Christian Corbet:

-
Paleoradiology in mummy studies: the Sulman Mummy
ProjectMUMMIES / LES MOMIESJanet C. Gardner, MA; Greg Garvin, MD, FRCPC; Andrew J. Nelson, PhD;Gian Vascotto, PhD; Gerald Conlogue, MHS, RT,(R)(CT)(MR)Ga

https://warktimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/carjchathammummy.pdf

quote:

https://impactdb.uwo.ca/context/imp00008.pdf

Sulman Mummy
Western University

The Sulman family of Chatham, Ontario went on many trips across the world collecting
artifacts for a personal collection back home (Chatham-Kent Museum, 2017; Nelson et al.,
2002). The mummy was brought back to Chatham as one of their artifacts after they visited
Egypt and purchased several pieces from the Cairo Museum (Chatham-Kent Museum, 2017;
Gardner et al., 2004; Nelson et al., 2002). The Sulman family was told the mummy was a
“Ptolemaic princess” (Chatham-Kent Museum, 2017; Nelson et al., 2002). In 1945, the family
donated the mummy to the Chatham-Kent Museum, where it has stayed since (Nelson et al.,
2002). The mummy has been radiographed four times since arriving in Canada.

There is speculation about the true origin of the Sulman mummy as after completing the
facial reconstruction on a 3D model, some believe the mummy’s features closer resemble those
of Nubian ancestry than those with Egyptian ancestry (Chatham-Kent Museum, 2017). In 2001
there was an attempt to use endoscopic sampling to conduct DNA testing, but the mummy was
deemed to be wrapped too tightly from the additional cotton padding (Chatham-Kent, 2017;
Nelson et al., 2002).

quote:
Christian Corbet on facebook

https://m.facebook.com/groups/186151498472211/posts/1273936333027050/?_se_imp=0GFQr7aIorU4yzg0x

"Looking back at my forensic facial reconstruction of a 2,200 year old Egyptian Nubian mummy; the first forensic reconstruction in the world created based on CT and laser scans and it happened in Canada! What an amazing team I worked with from Western University and Chatham-Kent "Museum

-
One of Tut's footstools

Posts: 42929 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also here in Sweden there are special exhibitions to the memory of the discovery of Tutankhamons tomb:

quote:
WONDERFUL THINGS!
100 years since the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb

100 years ago, a sensational discovery was made in the Valley of the Kings when Howard Carter found the tomb of the pharaoh Tutankhamun. To celebrate the anniversary The Museum of Mediterranean and Near Eastern Antiquities is showing Harry Burton's photographs from the work in the tomb. The museum will also exhibit reconstructions of some of the many garments the pharaoh had with him in the burial chamber.

For archaeologist Howard Carter, the autumn of 1922 looked as if it would be his last in the Valley of the Kings. After years of fruitless fieldwork, the financier Lord Carnarvon was ready to give up. But on the 4th of November, a staircase was found that led to a door, emblazoned with the seal of the royal necropolis. The tomb belonged to a relatively unknown pharaoh by the name of Tutankhamun.

Roughly three weeks later, Carter peeked into the tomb for the first time through a small peephole. In response to a nervous question from Carnarvon, he is said to have replied: “Yes, I see wonderful things!”

The discovery contributed to an increased interest in Ancient Egypt in large parts of the world. In Sweden a special Egypt committee was founded and in March 1929 the Egyptian museum opened in Gamla Stan, Stockholm. In 1954 the Egyptian museum became part of the the Museum of Mediterranean and Near Eastern Antiquities.

Howard Carter himself visited Sweden and the Egyptian museum in the summer of 1930 to talk about Tutankhamun’s tomb, which he was still busy with – carrying out, documenting and packing the many grave goods. The fieldwork and the objects were documented by the photographer Harry Burton, a selection of which are displayed in the exhibition.

Among plenty of other things, over 400 textiles were found in the tomb - everything from simple loincloths to richly embroidered ceremonial tunics and mantles in both child and adult sizes. Reconstructions of some of the garments Carter found in the grave will be shown in the exhibition.

The reconstructed garments are on loan from the Textile Museum in Borås. The clothes were included in the exhibition Tutankhamun’s wardrobe which was shown at the Museum of Mediterranean and Near Eastern Antiquities in 2003 and after that toured the world.

WONDERFUL THINGS! 100 years since the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2685 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tut's genetic parentage in regards to STRs was discussed before and there are more questions than answers.

And if they do another reconstruction on Tut, this will be what? Reconstruction #14 or #15? I mean how many reconstructions does the guy need? It's like they don't trust the previous reconstruction.

And they're using the same forensic artist who did the Sulman mummy reconstruction?!

-

^ I even remember years ago how many Euronuts were mad that the above reconstruction looked "negroid". Whatever.

As for Tut's allies and enemies, based on the Amarna letters, Egypt's closest allies at that time were 4 Asiatic nations-- Babylon, Assyria, Mitanni and Hatti.

-

Interestingly, those missing from the letter correspondences are African neighbors and instead are letters of complaints from frontiers about rebels from both Libya and Nubia.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
space holder; incomplete post in progress on 2022 12 01

Here're the beginning and end from
Tut's maternal and paternal lines
Pink from Thuya, blue from 'A III',
and yellow is Tut's own D21 variable.

-

[parents to go here]

* The Identifiler kit and the AmpFℓSTR Minifiler kit (Applied Biosystems) were used for amplification of 8 polymorphic
microsatellites of the nuclear genome (D13S317, D7S820, D2S1338, D21S11, D16S539, D18S51, CSF1PO, FGA).

-

---February 17, 2010
Ancestry and Pathology in King Tutankhamun's Family

Zahi Hawass, Albert Zink, Carsten M. Pusch, PhD
Article Information
JAMA. 2010;303(7):638-647. doi:10.1001/jama.2010.121

KV35YL
is the Younger Lady.
* Daughter of Amenhotep III and Tiye.
* Wife of Akhenaten.
* Mother of Tutankhamen.

KV55
is Akhenaten.
* Son of Amenhotep III and Tiye.
* Husband of the Younger LadyAkhenaten.
* Father of Tutankhamen.

They have same mother and same father.

Thuya + Yuya = Tiye (KV35EL)
Tiye + Amenhotep = Akhenaten (KV55)
Tiye + Amenhotep = Younger Lady (KV35YL)
Ylady + Akhenaten = Tut

[do charts for each of the above unions as time allows]

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Here're Tut's global AmpFℓSTR® Minifiler® STRs matched to current regions' frequencies; popstr db.

-

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

EDIT: after theLioness below

I made 5 popstr population sets
* EURope = 2135 individuals
* AFRica = 507 + 29 Mzabis
* MiDEast = 40 Druze, 46 Palestinians, 45 Bedouin
* central-South Asia & Oceania = 202 CSA, 27 Oceanians, 10 Cambodians
* East ASia = China - Dai (N=10), China - Daur (N=10), China - Han (N=43), China - Hezhen (N=8), China - Lahu (N=8), China - Miaozu (N=10), China - Mongola (N=10), China - Naxi (N=7), China - Oroqen (N=9), China - She (N=10), China - Tu (N=10), China - Tujia (N=10), China - Xibo (N=9), China - Yizu (N=10), Japan - Japanese (N=28), Siberia - Yakut (N=25)

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Is that your own chart using the published data
what is your explanation of the result here?

Posts: 42929 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Yes it's my intellectual property and beats the pants off anything any Black professionals so loved by ESers have to offer (they simplistically defer to popaffiliator).

Merely the latest of an ongoing series of charts showing where Amarna STRs are found today. I think it's self-explanatory but I'm ready willing and able to field any and all focused questions.

See http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010367#000001
for Amenophis III,
Thuya @ http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010376#000030
So far Amenophis III compares most favorably to Karamojong, beating Somalia, Sudan, and Upper Egypt, no lie
 -

See http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=8;t=010249;go=older#000003
for Yuya's global matches

See http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010257#000043
for Amarnas + Ramses&Son Egypt only comparison

See http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010257#000044
for Amarnas + Ramses&Son compared to Yoruba

Seeing Tut's best Old World match is today's Africa, followup charts will examine various African geopops.
Also, comparisons to a variety of Egypt/Sudan populations which will show exactly which modern Egyptians Tut can fit in with.

You know they mean heavy miscegenated 'Cairo' types when they claim ancient Egyptians = modern Egyptians. Preposterous!

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I see the higher number for Europe. How does that relate to a conclusion?
Tukuler
Member # 19944

unfinished ersion of next post

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
I see the higher number for Europe. How does that relate to a conclusion?

Better sneak another peek.
Africa has 5 Tut alleles at highest frequency
* D7 10 = 40.5%
* D13 12 = 42.1%
* D16 8 = 4.4%
* D18 19 = 10.5% (x2)

Europe only has 1 highest frequency allele.
* D21 26 = 2.2%

5:1, that's the tie breaker placing AFR ahead of EUR

=-=-=-=

Self precision
The in color CSF1PO 6 square should share AFR and EUR

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Not to mention that the largest genomic population samples usually come from Europe or European derived nations.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

You know they mean heavy miscegenated 'Cairo' types when they claim ancient Egyptians = modern Egyptians. Preposterous!

That's the impression I usually get, however I recall Hawass's claim decades ago that the specific modern Egyptians he refers to are insulated Baladi particularly farmers in the countryside of Cairo and laborers in Giza.

Cairene farmers

-

-

-

-

-

Giza laborers and tour guides

-  -

-

--------------------

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutankhamun fought no wars. He wasn't a great warrior king. There is no mystery about this child who died at a young age. So any enemies or allies are not a major factor in his life. Most likely he had some deformaties and illnesses as a result of being born of incest and died young, just like other royal babies buried in the same time period. The more important story is why the 18th dynasty ended with a heretic king named Akhenaton who turned away from hundreds of years of tradition. That movement he created caused the weakening of the borders and military posture and in turn led to the upheavals ending this reign. But these people don't want to talk about Akhenaton because his religious revolution was an early example of monotheism and sun worship predating the Abrahamic religions. Not to mention both him and his father have artworks that are too obviously African and not easily dismissed. So they focus on Tut because it is easier to claim his mother looked like the Berlin bust and hence the basis of the 'mystery' of the boy king and what he looked like.

This series was created entirely for western consumption because Egypt needs more tourists to return after Covid and the Arab Spring. They have a new Egyptian Museum that is opening later this year or next year and they need those tourist dollars to help pay for it. And if that means entertaining European fantasies of being part of the ancient kingdom, then so be it.

Posts: 8893 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the obsession over Tut, is more about the colonial rediscovery of the tomb and the egyptomania romanticism surrounding it. Also, I don't think the general audience aka white foks is all that interested in Pharoah's they have never heard of. Tut is familiar therefore easy to attract interest..

Also the fact that he died young and never accomplished anything major nor conquered any foreign territories also makes him easy to talk about, the white general audience never have to learn of the real greatness of Egypt during it's foreign excursions into Mesopotamia and Europe.. again making this history an easy sallow for GA white audiences who believe the Greeks and Romans are the end all and be all of empires.

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptology and Western views of the ancient Nile are no more than superficial cosplay recreations of a fictional nature with Europeans or proxies as the ancient population. No serious discussion of art, architecture, cosmology or any of the other aspects of the society is to be had. Because while they want to dress up and see themselves as the ancients they don't want to give them credit for anything like architecture, science and engineering. So everything is always promoted as magical, mysterious and exotic.

And this television show just continues that tradition.

Posts: 8893 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] PBS Announces TUTANKHAMUN: ALLIES & ENEMIES
The documentary is premiering Wednesday, Nov. 23, 8-10 p.m. ET.
by Michael Major Sep. 28, 2022

The 2 part video is on view now on the PBS website,
includes reconstruction

https://www.pbs.org/show/tutankhamun-allies-enemies/

-

They do a teaser for this in pt I
and one or two more, building up to the end of pt 2 where they show it dramatically removing a cloth.
With all the art depicting Tut I would have preferred not doing another reconstruction, just not use one at all.
The artist was delivered a skull replica, the shape of the finished human is somewhat speculative. Also looks older than 19 here

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Egyptology and Western views of the ancient Nile are no more than superficial cosplay recreations of a fictional nature with Europeans or proxies as the ancient population. No serious discussion of art, architecture, cosmology or any of the other aspects of the society is to be had. Because while they want to dress up and see themselves as the ancients they don't want to give them credit for anything like architecture, science and engineering. So everything is always promoted as magical, mysterious and exotic.

And this television show just continues that tradition.

you made this remark after watching it?

Here's a 2006 History channel video doc on Egyptian engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdUxZuarL0

-

If the Egyptians had technical or science texts
most are lost.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Here're Tut's global AmpFℓSTR® Minifiler® STRs matched to current regions' frequencies; popstr db.

-

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

* East ASia = China - Dai (N=10), China - Daur (N=10), China - Han (N=43), China - Hezhen (N=8), China - Lahu (N=8), China - Miaozu (N=10), China - Mongola (N=10), China - Naxi (N=7), China - Oroqen (N=9), China - She (N=10), China - Tu (N=10), China - Tujia (N=10), China - Xibo (N=9), China - Yizu (N=10), Japan - Japanese (N=28), Siberia - Yakut (N=25)

quote:

* D7 10 = 40.5%
* D13 12 = 42.1%
* D16 8 = 4.4%
* D18 19 = 10.5% (x2)

* D21 26 = 2.2%

=-=-=-=

Self precision

Would it by fair to say Tutankhamun was 97.5% African and Y-chromosome and MtDNA are insignificant in that regard?

What are your general remarks as to what this is showing about his ancestral background?

I assume all your data is from 2010's
"Ancestry and Pathology in King Tutankhamun's Family" Hawass,, Yehia Z. Gad,

Tukuler
Member # 19944

The idea and tables of my analytic charts begin here
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=005881#000031
and here
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=005881;p=3#000139

All Amarna mummy data is as published in JAMA. 2010;303(7):638-647.

I don't do percentages, nothing to base them on, and definition of African will vary. This is just a global comparison so as to dig in deeper using data from the predominant region. Be patient, my algorithm is fine but the charts are hand executed.

=-=-=

I question the historicity of these claims that have entered this thread
* "foreign excursions into Mesopotamia and Europe"
* "the 18th dynasty ended with a heretic king named Akhenaton"
* "upheavals ending this [Akhenaten's] reign"

Please use the Akhenaten, Tutankhaten, and WAR thread to further discuss that.
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=010693

=-=-=

Part 1 of the subject series prefers a photographer's unwashed opinion of Hawass (2010). The AmpFℓSTR® Minifiler™ PCR Amplification kit is sold only for the purpose of discerning paternity and maternity of individuals' via 8 CODIS autosomal STRs. It's results stand as legally determinative in courts of law.

The hardscience, vs "stories", says KV35YL is Tut's mother. The name of KV35YL is uncertain. Nefertiti lovers make her both KV35YL and KV35EL but where's any evidence Nefertiti descends from either Amenophis III or Thuya? What backs assuming Nefertiti was Akhenaten's sister?

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
Tutankhamun fought no wars. He wasn't a great warrior king. There is no mystery about this child who died at a young age. So any enemies or allies are not a major factor in his life.

Tut wasn't a small child but a young adult who was at least 18 years of age if not 19. As for not being a warrior there is some evidence to the contrary: Warrior Tut

quote:
Most likely he had some deformities and illnesses as a result of being born of incest and died young, just like other royal babies buried in the same time period. The more important story is why the 18th dynasty ended with a heretic king named Akhenaton who turned away from hundreds of years of tradition. That movement he created caused the weakening of the borders and military posture and in turn led to the upheavals ending this reign. But these people don't want to talk about Akhenaton because his religious revolution was an early example of monotheism and sun worship predating the Abrahamic religions. Not to mention both him and his father have artworks that are too obviously African and not easily dismissed. So they focus on Tut because it is easier to claim his mother looked like the Berlin bust and hence the basis of the 'mystery' of the boy king and what he looked like.
Well Tut wasn't a small child when he died but a young man and many traditionalist especially pre-industrial cultures, manhood is reached during early puberty much less ancient cultures when life spans were much shorter. Tut did have physical deformities and health problems but as king he had to display his prowess in some way. In military campaigns he may have spent more time in his war chariot firing arrows and he definitely was aided in actual face to face combat situations, but apparently he wasn't totally helpless as many would think since kings especially African ones had to possess some vigor.

quote:
This series was created entirely for western consumption because Egypt needs more tourists to return after Covid and the Arab Spring. They have a new Egyptian Museum that is opening later this year or next year and they need those tourist dollars to help pay for it. And if that means entertaining European fantasies of being part of the ancient kingdom, then so be it.
True enough, though I personally would prefer other figures from Egyptian history other than Tut. There have been many discoveries in both the Saqqara complex and Giza complex as well as the Valley of the Kings, that they could easily make an exhibits of unknown personages to broaden peoples interest and knowledge of ancient Egypt.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

quote:

-

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:

* D7 10 = 40.5%
* D13 12 = 42.1%
* D16 8 = 4.4%
* D18 19 = 10.5% (x2)

* D21 26 = 2.2%

=-=-=-=

Self precision

Would it by fair to say Tutankhamun was 97.5% African and Y-chromosome and MtDNA are insignificant in that regard?

What are your general remarks as to what this is showing about his ancestral background?

I assume all your data is from 2010's
"Ancestry and Pathology in King Tutankhamun's Family" Hawass,, Yehia Z. Gad,

Population relations aside, what about questions regarding Tut's familial relations based on his STRs?

-

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Um it was addressed in this thread's 2nd post.

Couldn't find at the time but wanted to add a little more than the grandparents' STRs as reposted in the quote below. See both parents and grandparents listing when i complete the space holder post later today. http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=010686#000005

Much more important and relevant, not to be pushed aside, are the Amarnas relation to current African blacks. STRs are the reason the Amarna JAMA article is overlooked because they show the Abusir 3 current Levant related type of common Egyptian was ruled by native BLACKS.

CODIS STRs are used by forensics to ID racial, ethnic, and geographic groupings and that's exactly what I'm going to establish for Tut the same as I did for Amenophis III, Thuya, Yuya, etc.

We already know the Amarna family tree without resort to aDNA. If you want to expand on family relationships why not do it without taking a dig at the ethnic reality? This is the 2nd time you allude your Was Akhenaten Really Tut's Father?? if you want to clarify or expand on it here please feel free to do so.

quote:
New PBS Tut special

What I gleaned from some other newstream article the main points are

* Tut wasn't murdered
* Tut's mother could've been Nefertiti
* Tut looked nothing like contemporaneous art portrayed him.

PBS continues the ancient Egyptians were modern Egyptians trope.
See PBS (2018) First Civilizations Egyptian beginnings @
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010118;p=4#000179
or
www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010066#000020

aDNA STRs suggests TUT's mum is of the same ultimate (incestuous) line of descent as himself, ruling out Nefertiti

-

(Precisions solicited, please.)

=-=-=

Coming up

* Comparing Tut to current global STRs
* Narrowing down region dominant STRs to current locales/ethnic groups
* Tut is closest to which current Egypt/Sudan only STRs

* Exhaustive gallery of contemporaneous Tut art works

* Reliability of reconstructions of actual individual depicted

-

-

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So got through the first two episodes... PBS disappointing once again.

The usual suspects ( Propagandists) show up nothing new to see here

--------------------

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
The Tut reconstruction of Tut looks like a regular west african Fula type

-
 -  -

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Add it to the collection of reconstructions-- well over 14 now? Tut belongs in the Guinness World Records for most reconstructions done on a single deceased person. I mean honestly!

quote:

Um it was addressed in this thread's 2nd post.

Couldn't find at the time but wanted to add a little more than the grandparents' STRs as reposted in the quote below. See both parents and grandparents listing when i complete the space holder post later today. http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=010686#000005

Much more important and relevant, not to be pushed aside, are the Amarnas relation to current African blacks. STRs are the reason the Amarna JAMA article is overlooked because they show the Abusir 3 current Levant related type of common Egyptian was ruled by native BLACKS.

CODIS STRs are used by forensics to ID racial, ethnic, and geographic groupings and that's exactly what I'm going to establish for Tut the same as I did for Amenophis III, Thuya, Yuya, etc.

We already know the Amarna family tree without resort to aDNA. If you want to expand on family relationships why not do it without taking a dig at the ethnic reality? This is the 2nd time you allude your Was Akhenaten Really Tut's Father?? if you want to clarify or expand on it here please feel free to do so.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that, I meant to address his specific family relations. As I explained my thread here, The STR analysis for locus D7S820 for Tut shows 10|15, yet his two children (fetuses) found in his tomb show 10|13 and 6|15. If these two miscarried fetuses really belonged to his wife Ankhesenamun who is in turn his half sister by his father, then why does she presumably have 6|13 if she really is the daughter of his father?? This means either she was not the daughter of Akhenaten OR that her father Akhentaten is NOT Tut's father.

What say you?

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

I'm cool with it, nothing to be sorry about
We're just coming from different angles of analytic focus. Can you add the tomb IDs so I don't confuse myself or others before I attempt a "say"? Thx.

And oh, also let's use the official authentic chart in Pusch & Zinck 2010

-

I don't understand how Kate could've possibly published Amarna STRs in 2009 a year before the JAMA. How did she get Nefertiti's STRs? I mean when was Nefertiti mummy found and tested and by whom?

BTW do you see Nefertiti as an ally or enemy of Tut since she and Akhenaten apparently had a falling out after which she disappears from the record unless I'm mistaken.

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Here're Tut's CODIS STRs compared with Lower Nile populations.

The Sudans match closest to Tut though the fit is by nowise 1:1.
Egypt has the same matches but less hi-freq alleles and loci than the Sudans.
Cairo has the least matches but must consider Ebaid didn't collect Cairoene D2 locus
nor D21=34 allele data, so kind of unfair to compare against Babiker and AbdElHafez.

HAF = all of Egypt except Nubia data
BAB = Sudan plus South Sudan data with Zaghawa and Hausa
EBA = Cairo only data

Included are the source table references listing numbers of individuals for each population in articles cited by team leader.

Clear full size img @ https://images2.imgbox.com/93/88/XcN7CxmA_o.png

-

=-=-=-=-=

Ooops, forgot Omram (2009) Upper Egypt only data.
Will include in upcoming Nile Basin chart or just check
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010257#000043 2nd chart

But before I expend the effort is anybody really interested in this?

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I am! I find it interesting how the Amarna results are very much in contrast with the Late Period Abusir mummies.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com