This is topic What did ancient Egyptian peasant houses look like? in forum Deshret at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=006264

Posted by Truthcentric (Member # 3735) on :

It seems most of the ancient Egyptian houses that I've read about being uncovered belonged either to nobility or (in the case of the so-called "workers' villages") middle-class artisans. Does anyone know, based on archaeological data, what sort of houses lower-class, rural Egyptian peasants would have lived in? Would they have differed from the houses of Egyptians further up on the socioeconomic pecking order?

Here's my current imagining of an ancient Egyptian peasant village:

-

Posted by Truthcentric (Member # 3735) on :

Is no one genuinely interested in my question?

Posted by -Just Call Me Jari- (Member # 14451) on :

I thought there were Images of Egyptian rual houses no?? Also it probably depended on where you were in Egypt, some people lived further inland and some lived near the nile.

-

-

-

Best examples are the houses of Rural Egyptians as seen above and the Nubian houses, which look no different than those found in parts of West Africa and the Sahel.

I don't think the Egyptians lived in the type of houses you depict, but in Mud Houses like the Nubians and Sahelians in West Africa, this is probably a better fit for Riverine Africans such those who live near the Nile and Niger. Again I could be wrong.

Posted by ausar (Member # 1797) on :

Both rural Egyptians and Nubians still live in houses much like those in ancient Egypt. Most were made out of adobe mud brick but temporary worker houses such as those in Giza were made out of waddle and daub type models.

If you want insight into the commoner in ancient Egypt I suggest people look into an archaeological site called Deir el Medina around modern day Luxor.

Posted by -Just Call Me Jari- (Member # 14451) on :

Ausar you can't delete this thread??

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=006265

Posted by kenndo (Member # 4846) on :

I know for nubian cities,towns and villages of the past some houses were made of brick and stone,while others were made of brick.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com