This is topic eclipse 2006 in forum Visiting Egypt at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001135

Posted by wise_woman (Member # 444) on :

I have just read on internet that there will be a total solar eclipse on 29 March 2006 around 1230 hours local time. It said it can be seen from Libyan/Egyptian border.

There are expensive holiday/eclipse packages costings thousands of pounds on sale already - all quoting "space is limited - book soon".

Being someone who buys last minute deals from ITV teletext, I dont think I'll be booking one of them.

One of the tours is taking eclipse tourists to the "seaside town of Sallum"

I do know Luxor and Cairo are not near Libyan border but I was wondering if the eclipse would be seen from either.
Cairo and Luxor are all I can afford.

Posted by kimo_the_maniac (Member # 1761) on :

quote:
Originally posted by wise_woman:
I have just read on internet that there will be a total solar eclipse on 29 March 2006 around 1230 hours local time. It said it can be seen from Libyan/Egyptian border.

There are expensive holiday/eclipse packages costings thousands of pounds on sale already - all quoting "space is limited - book soon".

Being someone who buys last minute deals from ITV teletext, I dont think I'll be booking one of them.

One of the tours is taking eclipse tourists to the "seaside town of Sallum"

I do know Luxor and Cairo are not near Libyan border but I was wondering if the eclipse would be seen from either.
Cairo and Luxor are all I can afford.

Well you can take a bus to Salloom from Cairo the day of the eclipse and just watch it from there. That would cost you under LE 50! I am not sure but I guess eclipses are only partial except for very narrow trajectories, the last time (was it two years ago?) we got a very visible partial when the total was in eastern Syria.

Posted by wise_woman (Member # 444) on :

Thank you Kimo,

that gives me a step in the right direction.

I could view it from Turkey. I've only been once to Turkey and I didn't like it one bit. Cairo and Sallum it is then! Thanks.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com