EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Research assistant? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
amyr
Member # 9998
 - posted
Hi,
I am going to be doing some research towards my Master's degree this summer in Egypt and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to find someone who could help me conduct a survey -- I don't speak Arabic very well so it would basically just be someone to accompany me to different places and translate. Preferably female, so that we could talk with some more traditional women easily. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this or how to find someone, or even any idea how much it might cost per hour or whatnot!
Thank you!

minry80
Member # 8287
 - posted
When exactly will you be in Egypt?

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149
 - posted
I am working on my master's degree, and was planning a trip to Cairo, either in March or July.

pandora
Member # 10146
 - posted
i have a good friend who is doing his masters in arabic studies at american university...he is an american and fluent in arabic as his his algerian wife..i will get back to you on this after i get off work today..they can help with this...they know lots of people in cairo...

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149
 - posted
i would like to apply to AUC as soon as I wrap up my master in public administration. I would like to major in islamic and arabic studies. How long did it take your friend to become fluent in Arabic. I am getting a late start, but I would like to master Arabic and French.

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
i would like to apply to AUC as soon as I wrap up my master in public administration. I would like to major in islamic and arabic studies.

Assalamu alaykum Khadija,

I don't know if you have checked out the AUC prospectus yet, because although they do teach Arabic (the only place in Cairo whose Arabic course was recogised by universities outside Egypt), I don't believe that they do Islamic studies. From what I understand, AUC was set up as a Christian evangelical university, and although Muslims attend there, they don't got there for Islamic studies.

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149
 - posted
wa alaykum assalamu
Thanks Newcomer for this very informative FYI.

[Eek!] I did not know that. All I know, is that I do not want to study Islam in the States, or the west for that matter. Any suggestion? I opt for just moving to Egypt, but I have since learned it wont be that easy.

Asooma
Member # 8611
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
i would like to apply to AUC as soon as I wrap up my master in public administration. I would like to major in islamic and arabic studies.

Assalamu alaykum Khadija,

I don't know if you have checked out the AUC prospectus yet, because although they do teach Arabic (the only place in Cairo whose Arabic course was recogised by universities outside Egypt), I don't believe that they do Islamic studies. From what I understand, AUC was set up as a Christian evangelical university, and although Muslims attend there, they don't got there for Islamic studies.

noooooooo, there is a certain dioplma called Islamic studies, it's much more samiliar to Middel Eastern Studies..

pandora
Member # 10146
 - posted
my friend in egypt is doing his masters in middle eastern studies at AUC..he already has one from columbia university in the states..there are several schools in cairo that teach arabic and french..he has also studied both...it took about a year for him to achieve a decent fluency in arabic..he said it took leaving for the summer after studying and trying hard..after his brain relaxed he went back and it finally clicked for him..he speaks it very well now after a year and a half..he had already studied french and his wife is fluent in it which helps (algeria's language is french)what is your master's work in?

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by pandora:
my friend in egypt is doing his masters in middle eastern studies at AUC..he already has one from columbia university in the states..there are several schools in cairo that teach arabic and french..he has also studied both...it took about a year for him to achieve a decent fluency in arabic..he said it took leaving for the summer after studying and trying hard..after his brain relaxed he went back and it finally clicked for him..he speaks it very well now after a year and a half..he had already studied french and his wife is fluent in it which helps (algeria's language is french)what is your master's work in?

My undergrad is in Business Administration, and studing for Master in Public Administration. My french in conversational, but far from fluent. Recenet events in my life have prompted me to go after my original dream, to be an scholar of interational relations. However, my passion for my faith has directed me to learning Arabic.

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Asooma:
noooooooo, there is a certain dioplma called Islamic studies, it's much more samiliar to Middel Eastern Studies..

So in a way I was right, it is not a course like you would get at Al-Azhar to study Islam...more of a cultural/academic program than an Islamic sciences program?

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149
 - posted
I am looking for cultural/academic

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com