EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Hykos:Agean Pirates or Semites » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted

HELCK, Wolfgang, Das Hyksosproblem, Orientalia 62 (1993), 60-66.

In the M.K. and S.I.P. there were large numbers of 'Asiatics' living in Egypt who were originally brought there as prisoners or as slaves. They are to be distinguished from the Asiatics of Tell ed-Dab'a, among whom there were many Phoenician traders and artisans. The Hyksos fit in neither of these groups, and the reports on their violent behaviour make them appear as a third element. Neither Semitic nor Hurritic, they may well have been pirates from Cyprus and southern Anatolia, intent on usurping the trade of Tell el-Dab'a. W.H.

blackman
Member # 1807
 - posted
ausar,
Are there any drawings of the Hykos?

I believe I've seen a drawing of a war scene
with the Sea People in boats.

blackman
Member # 1807
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by blackman:
ausar,
Are there any drawings of the Hyksos?

I believe I've seen a drawing of a war scene
with the Sea People in boats.

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
Just a few statues with the typical ''mushroon'' style haircut that date to the Second Intermediate Period. We do have depictions of ''Asiatics'' on the tombs of Beni Hassan and of Bedouins presented in the tomb of Tut-Ankh-Amun. Other than this,pictoral evidence for Hykos is very scant.

neo*geo
Member # 3466
 - posted
I'm curious about what language they spoke. The Hyksos seemed to have semitic names very similar to Hebrew names. They had to have some sort of relationship with the Near East.

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
Yurco claims they were both Semetic and Hurrian people. This might explain how Set became synamous with red haired people around this time period. The Hykos symbolized Set with their storm deity.

multisphinx
Member # 3595
 - posted
where did the hykos originally come from

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
Probabaly somewhere in Palestine. Possibly they were a mixture of Hurrian[Indo-European] and Syrio-Palestinean people.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com