EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Tattoos in Ancient Egypt? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
sunstorm2004
Member # 3932
 - posted
I've seen AE drawings of Asiatics with tattooed arms, but I've never seen a drawing of a Kemetan with a tattoo, nor read of a tattooed AE mummy. Does anyone know if AE people were tattooed, or was there a proscription?

I know there was a proscription against tattoos among the Israelites, carried forward to this day among modern Jews -- could this be yet another religious tradition with roots in Ancient Egypt?

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
Scarification was quite common in Egypt. During the 11th dyanasty there are pictures of a tato lady in Kmt known as Kemsit. She was the wife of Menuhotep II I believe. In Modern Kmt[Egypt] the fellahin have tatoes and scarification. Modern Nubians also gash their cheeks.

Libyans in AE are also shown with assorted tatoes.

neo*geo
Member # 3466
 - posted
I always thought tattoos were something the egyptians associated with barbarism...

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
Where did you read that,neo-geo?

neo*geo
Member # 3466
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Where did you read that,neo-geo?

Libyans and Nubians were sometimes depicted with tattoos and weird piercings. They were supposed to represent barbarians. Like the Tamou image from Ramses III's tomb...

Osiris II
Member # 3079
 - posted
On Archaeology magaine's web-site, (www.archaeology.org) you can read about an on-going dig at Hierkonpolis. Tattooing is referred to in the article.
The cemetary being dug was mainly Nubian. Evidently, with these people at least, tattooing was thought to be personal adornment.
It's a very interesting site--not only do they have articles relating to digs in Egypt, you can read about on-going excavations elsewhere.

ausar
Member # 1797
 - posted
Tattooing was found in pre-dyanstic burials going far back in time.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com