EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Wadi Howar an ancient tributary of the Nile » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Doug M
Member # 7650
 - posted
Recent research is showing that the Wadi Howar was an ancient tributary of the Nile that allowed for substantial contact between the people of the Nile valley and those in more central Africa:

quote:

Located at the southern fringes of the Libyan Desert, Wadi Howar is the largest dry river system in the presently hyper-arid and uninhabitable Eastern Sahara, stretching over 1,100 km from its source area in eastern Chad to the Nile. Geoscientific investigations have shown that during the early Holocene this wadi was the Nile's most important tributary from the Sahara. Later, it became a chain of freshwater lakes and marshes supported by local rainfall, until it ultimately became extinct about 2,000 years ago. A once ecologically favoured area of settlement and communication route between the inner regions of Africa and the Nile valley, Wadi Howar bears abundant prehistoric sites providing evidence of important population movements and interregional cultural contacts.

Large posters on the spread of cattle and pottery in this region can be seen here along with the discovery last year of an ancient Meroite fortress in this region:

http://www.uni-koeln.de/sfb389/a/a2/a2_informations.htm#poster1

Yom
Member # 11256
 - posted
Thanks for the info. We need more of these types of threads on ES.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
^ We get these types of threads every now and then. But yes, very interesting.

I wonder if these early settlements had to do with early Chadic speakers or Nilo-Saharans.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted

Willing Thinker {What Box}
Member # 10819
 - posted
^up and away

kifaru
Member # 4698
 - posted
I read once that the nile was also connected to the niger river system in the past thereby providing an aquatic east-west migration route across the continent.
Here's a link Nile Delta flooded savanna

Punos_Rey
Member # 21929
 - posted
Sorry to bump an old thread, but has any more information about the Yellow Nile surfaced? From what I read its thought to have dried out around 3000 years ago. Would it have been possible for there to have been dynastic era contacts between the Nile and the African interior through this tributary?

Doug M
Member # 7650
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but has any more information about the Yellow Nile surfaced? From what I read its thought to have dried out around 3000 years ago. Would it have been possible for there to have been dynastic era contacts between the Nile and the African interior through this tributary?

I would say so as part of ancient trade networks across Africa. To this day you still have Peuhls who travel back and forth to Sudan from Western Africa and also many muslim West Africans also have strong ties to the Muslim Africans in Sudan, which likely predates Islam.

Long ago I had posted that I believe a lot of Nile Valley cultural artifacts in terms of weapons and warfare spread from Sudan to West Africa in this way.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com