EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Materialistic? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Materialistic?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband thinks constantly about money, how to make it, how to save it, how to make more...
when he speaks to his family all they talk about is "kam.....kam...."...the price of stuff and how to organize some projects.
His first thoughts always turns to money. friend had an accident at work and his first reaction was "he will get compensation!" not is he doing OK?
I am really fed up with this kind of thinking, especially because he is actually quite poor nonetheless (hehe). But I feel he is so materialistic. All he is interested in is the new iphone, gold, diamonds, if something is worth something. Doesn't matter what, just as long as he can sell it.
Is this an Egyptian trend? Or just my husband?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen people like this in the UK and the trend I can see compared to what you wrote is they are all on the poor side.

Looking to make the next quick buck and then spending it on fake whatever to try to look like they are somebody they aren't!

Be careful he doesn't trade you in for the new soon to be released Blackberry [Wink]

I don't think your husband is unique in his thinking... even I sometimes look at crappy Christmas gifts I receive and wonder what I could fetch on Ebay for them!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well walid is the same exact way. he was even excited that he can sell a tube if orajel that i sent for his moms teeth,you know we have so many things that are not avaliable in egypt here in the us. and when they see it its like i want iot want it. like a kid with candy.once the newness wears off he is onto somethin else.. lol.. gotta ove the enthusiasm.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband will try to sell anything!
Baby clothes, old shoes, cd's, furniture, anything electrical (well that sells actually quite well). You name it.
What annoys me most though is that he is not trying to accumulate money for something. He just wants to make money to make money. It is a hobby.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
my husband will try to sell anything!
Baby clothes, old shoes, cd's, furniture, anything electrical (well that sells actually quite well). You name it.
What annoys me most though is that he is not trying to accumulate money for something. He just wants to make money to make money. It is a hobby.

haha go figure. but i say let him have his fun. at least hes accumluating things and not wives hunny...
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an Egyptian adage “ma3ak irsh tiswa irsh” (You have a piaster, you're worth a piaster). He's probably more miserialistic (ahaha 1/2 miser 1/2 materialistic). Both are bad traits and definite put offs, but a miser is worse imho.

Materialistic people are all over though, it's in urban culture in the USA and exploded after rap came on the scene. You can listen to the lyrics and it's all about “making money”, and there is this misconception that a person is deemed worthless (similarily to the Egyptian adage) if they don't have the expensive gear. The truth is only other materialistic people are attracted to such items as gold chains, expensive car rims, etc.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can be materialistic but I am not bothered with bling... I am not some rap chav in Burberry with Argos earrings and the Daily Mail under my arm!

But, I do however like to have a decent phone, the new ipod, gadgets and spend cash on nice clothes that last and don't fall apart in the wash. I like to feel good about myself.

There is nothing wrong with spoiling yourself or looking good. But in my defence I only do these things to please myself and I care so very little what others think [Big Grin]

Judge away [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judge away

Judged.

Seriously, whilst I always believed that the only people in the world who are intensely materialistic are the very rich and the very poor [and the rest of us don't give a ratsass, considering it tasteless] it really IS a culture thing here.Just like the US.

Rich = good, nice, trustworthy
Poor = mad bad and dangerous to know.

Sad.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
[Big Grin]

It depends in my eyes who are you trying to please, why do you want the money and possessions?

I think if people just have expensive taste or an addiction to gadgets (I lurve gadgets) then it is no biggy as people work hard to get the things they want and don't steal them.

If people are materialistic becasue they have a desire to make others worship them or see them as better people then that is not for me.

I don't give a rat's ass for cash but I do like my toys [Smile] And why shouldn't I?

Do others here love their sofas, or laptops or cars? Are people working in the UK to pay off extortionate mrtgages on homes they cannot afford.

Are people in other countries borrowing money from banks to buy things they neither want or need becasue of conglomorate advertising on the Christmas run up that starts in September which forces children to beg endlessly to be like their friends.

OOO and relax lol...

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
I can be materialistic but I am not bothered with bling... I am not some rap chav in Burberry with Argos earrings and the Daily Mail under my arm!

But, I do however like to have a decent phone, the new ipod, gadgets and spend cash on nice clothes that last and don't fall apart in the wash. I like to feel good about myself.

There is nothing wrong with spoiling yourself or looking good. But in my defence I only do these things to please myself and I care so very little what others think [Big Grin]

Judge away [Big Grin]

I don't think buying expensive gadgets, designer sunglasses, brand name clothes, makes a person materialistic, I think that's more style. But a person who is consumed by materialism to the point of judging other people's values by what brand names they own is materialistic. When material items dictate a person's perception of individuals and society it's definitely materialistic personality.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
I'd like to add in defence of Egypt's adage - (u got a piaster you're worth a piaster) it's not really about brands. It was originally meant with regards to social status, job, apartment, car, etc. Not necessarily expensive items like clothing and accessories. So perhaps I wrongly used it in this discussion.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
But originally weren't they all material items?
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
quote:
But originally weren't they all material items?

It's confusing because Egypt is a complex patriarchal society. Egyptians are reluctant to give their daughter's hand in marriage to men who are penniless and in the lower stratosphere of Egyptian society.

So is that materialistic?, wanting the basic things such as housing and transportation? I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
But isn't materialism in Islam deemed a no no as it is self destructive?

Oh man, I am going to sleep before I start talking about external perceptions and sociology!.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Islam's bearing on Egyptian society is limited when it comes to the “irsh” / piaster [Big Grin] It's an Egyptian thing and not Islamic in anyway. I'm not judging them but I think that adage is not blatant materialism. I think they deem it survival, owning an apartment is tantamount to survival in Egypt.

Goodnight. Yer right, I would've had us both rambling [Big Grin]

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I need an ipod to survive in Egypt.

Night dude [Smile]

Bollock
Member # 17944

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bollock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
my husband thinks constantly about money, how to make it, how to save it, how to make more...
when he speaks to his family all they talk about is "kam.....kam...."...the price of stuff and how to organize some projects.
His first thoughts always turns to money. friend had an accident at work and his first reaction was "he will get compensation!" not is he doing OK?
I am really fed up with this kind of thinking, especially because he is actually quite poor nonetheless (hehe). But I feel he is so materialistic. All he is interested in is the new iphone, gold, diamonds, if something is worth something. Doesn't matter what, just as long as he can sell it.

If her egyptian husband is lazy, she complaints. Otherwise, if her egyptian husband is a money oriented man, she complaints too.
Posts: 46 | From: on your plate | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo Ning Min E:

Seriously, whilst I always believed that the only people in the world who are intensely materialistic are the very rich and the very poor [and the rest of us don't give a ratsass, considering it tasteless] it really IS a culture thing here. Just like the US.

Rich = good, nice, trustworthy
Poor = mad bad and dangerous to know.

Sad.

Have you ever lived in the US to verify this yourself?
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[B]Have you ever lived in the US to verify this yourself?[B/]

Have you been living in cave for the past 20 years???

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

ROFLMAO [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

that was a pretty classic line from sono though, the expert on Egyptian OTC drugs and marriage in UK [Big Grin] . Has she ever been to UK? NO, has she ever found tampons in Egypt? NO ROFLMAO

sorry back to my learning now [Cool]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:

that was a pretty classic line from sono though, the expert on Egyptian OTC drugs and marriage in UK [Big Grin] . Has she ever been to UK? NO, has she ever found tampons in Egypt? NO ROFLMAO

Learning or leaning?
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Learning or leaning?
learning. I am leranngi ot ytpe [Cool]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I thought the leg had fell off your chair [Wink]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
I thought the leg had fell off your chair [Wink]

why do you think I can't type properly! [Big Grin]
Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i Tell u wot....you r all a breath of fresh air....your reaction to everyday frustations cracks me up with a huge dose of cleverness and actually caring(your hubby A shud see the need by now for a new computer chair)(I myself have been making the most of a kids tricycle and its just not the same).......back to the topic of materialism....seems to me we all just want our daily bead but with the basics taken care of too...(and a notebook and the education to use it with lots of freedom of speech)....I dont think im asking for too much....How ever...and im nearly at my point....I can remember thinking once how much does it cost me to lay my head down upon this earth each night....????? I dont think I am materalistic but it's more than I think it should be....
Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
New chair? i am sure we can stick a brick under it to stop it leaning and who needs wheels on it really? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

So you haven't lived in the USA to verify if your mythical assumptions are true.

Classic hobbit dogma.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:

So you haven't lived in the USA to verify if your mythical assumptions are true.

Classic hobbit dogma.

you haven't lived in Egypt or UK but you try to tell us what's what in both, classic psycho! [Roll Eyes]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Classic hobbit dogma.

you haven't lived in Egypt or UK but you try to tell us what's what in both, classic psycho! [Roll Eyes]
When have I ever claimed to know about the UK, moreso than actual UK residents. Provide a hyperlink to the post.

Secondly who in the hell pays 17LE for 2LE worth of veggies?

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Classic hobbit dogma.

When have I ever claimed to know about the UK, moreso than actual UK residents. Provide a hyperlink to the post.
certainly, sono as al kahina:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000349;p=21
Fun thread for a read through

it starts a few pages back where you accused Yorkie of 'showing her privies' on her pic where you could see her knee and accused her of being married because she was wearing a ring on her left hand, and 'advertising' for a man on ES by 'showing her privies'.

quote:
Secondly who in the hell pays 17LE for 2LE worth of veggies?
Again you know more about the price of veg in Egypt than me do you?
If you can get Kg tomatoes for 2LE now, not including garlic, cucumber and green peppers, then please provide an address where as proof. [Roll Eyes]

Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
OK. i'll make it very simple for you.
All my siblings live in the USA.
But that is irrelevent.
Contrary to your belief, just as we do not need a time machine to to study history, we do not need to actually travel the length and breadth of a place interviewing every citizen to know something about a place.
You may or may not have noticed that beginning in 2007 the world began to enter a period of recession, [I'm sure you can google this, if you haven't heard of it]
This began in the USA, and partly as a direct result of 'irrational exhuberance' with credit facilities, [both corporate and personal]plus US/China trade deficits, and a National 'debt' that would make your eyes water if you thought any US government ever intended to service this loan, and since that time, the rest of the world have been painfully reminded, over and over again, from Alan Greenspan [google him dear]
Ben Bernanke, the IMF, even bloody Oprah, that this is the result of trying to have a materialistic consumer society. Especially one that exports hardly anything except weapons and media.
Poor in the US equals BAD. You should know this.
Remember the health care debate?
Most countries [people, citizens] would be proud to announce that they provide healthcare for the poor, this is a FACT.
In the US the very idea was OVERWHELMINGLY greeted with horror. 'Junkies, and [eek!] 'single moms'!
Can you as a normal average citizen begin to grasp how AMAZED we all were at this reaction. How telling it was?
No European that I know of would openly ask for the denial of healthcare [for God's sake!] to the disadvantaged.
Even Marie Antoinette said 'Let them eat cake' she didn't say 'Let the lazy trash die in the streets'.
This is not a personal attack, just about every American I have ever met, I found to be charming and fun.
I assume that this is not because the many Americans I know travel more than most.
But even a ten year old can tell you that American values are overwhelmingly, intrinsically involved with 'ownership'. Stuff.
Materialistic.
Not psychopaths, murderers, not Devil worshippers, not Aliens from Mars.
Just materialistic for generations.
I don't even think of it as an insult.
Just a fact.
And I'm pretty sure your response will be along the lines of 'You Brits are just plain jealous, because we got more ...., better ... stuff...'

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayisha, I paid 8 LE for a kilo of tomatoes (wasn't even allowed to select the ones I wanted) day before yesterday. Had to throw out about a third of them [Frown]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sop, wasted more then an hour reading old posts. :)It's the same as with any board, majority of members doesn't post anymore because the subject ( in this case Egypt) isn't part of their lifes anymore...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Ayisha, I paid 8 LE for a kilo of tomatoes (wasn't even allowed to select the ones I wanted) day before yesterday. Had to throw out about a third of them [Frown]

They were 6LE here couple of days ago Laura, and green peppers were 6LE too! I did buy a scabby looking bunch of spring onions (green onions/scallions) for 0.50 piastres though [Big Grin]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Who in the hell pays 17le for 2le of veg???

PEOPLE LIVING IN EGYPT

cuckoo!

anthropos
Member # 9410

The funny part is that my husband is not materialistic in that he wants to buy stuff for himself, he just wants to accumulate money and have the status "RICH".
He never wants to be good to himself or to us, we are just supposed to wear second hand clothes and have second hand stuff.
Sure he has now a little bit of money in the bank but we are not allowed to enjoy life.
Actually he is not materialistic, he is just cheap. That is the right word.

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who in the hell pays 17le for 2le of veg???

Is this a carry-over from another thread? Has to be.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
The funny part is that my husband is not materialistic in that he wants to buy stuff for himself, he just wants to accumulate money and have the status "RICH".
He never wants to be good to himself or to us, we are just supposed to wear second hand clothes and have second hand stuff.
Sure he has now a little bit of money in the bank but we are not allowed to enjoy life.
Actually he is not materialistic, he is just cheap. That is the right word.

Don't know your husband at all, but is it just possible he is saving for the future, and all the expenses that come from having children?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Yes that is the idea. Of course it is good.
But it is also hard for me as a mother to have to accept to buy used clothes for my children when there is money to buy the best.
Maybe he would think I am materialistic here, I don't know.
He doesn't even want to buy NEW SHOES!!!
And he asks what everything costs and sometimes I feel he is too cheap to buy the groceries. He thinks about every penny.
It is so annoying because it consumes him.

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The personality trait or value or element of his character or whatever we could call it is there, so why not support and encourage him? If he wants to buy and sell, honey let him buy and sell.

It's a skill. Maybe, if he gets good at it, it could lead to a good business.

Who knows, if he's thing is gold and jewels, your personal bling quotient might just increase?

Sorry, maybe I'm not reading this correctly but I just don't see the problem.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes that is the idea. Of course it is good.
But it is also hard for me as a mother to have to accept to buy used clothes for my children when there is money to buy the best.
Maybe he would think I am materialistic here, I don't know.
He doesn't even want to buy NEW SHOES!!!
And he asks what everything costs and sometimes I feel he is too cheap to buy the groceries. He thinks about every penny.
It is so annoying because it consumes him.

Oh, okay. Now I understand a little more. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best for your family and it is not being materialistic. It's human nature and part and parcel to being a mother.

Maybe you should have that talk about foot funk and refuse to accept potential health threats into your home. Used shoes? Never.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dilemma
Member # 16672

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dilemma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree stayingput.
Posts: 133 | From: egypt/usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

He is actually good at selling and if he could make it into a good business that would be awesome, honestly!
But I don't want to be the one suffering here. I want to be able to buy new wool/silk clothes for children for winter, new Ecco or timberland wintershoes, waterproof gloves etc. Btw we live in the north.
But he is not willing to spend the money for that so my children have to use used stuff. I hate it.

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
He is actually good at selling and if he could make it into a good business that would be awesome, honestly!

Good! Let supporting your husband's business ventures be a priority in your marriage. Make an effort to do it and you will see a huge difference in the quality of your relationship.

Can you tell I've been through this?

quote:
But I don't want to be the one suffering here. I want to be able to buy new wool/silk clothes for children for winter, new Ecco or timberland wintershoes, waterproof gloves etc. Btw we live in the north.
But he is not willing to spend the money for that so my children have to use used stuff. I hate it.

Then it's time for a sit down, face-to-face, heart-to-heart talk. Explain to him that while you appreciate that he supports his family (this is true, is it not?) you would like him to think about the quality of the outcome (clothes that fall to pieces in the wash, etc.) and gently suggest he might invest in better garments so that he doesn't have to buy them so frequently.

It's never what you say, it's how you say it.

anthropos
Member # 9410

Good point stayingput thank you for the advice.

Sometimes I just buy stuff for the kids and I don't tell him about it. Usually he doesn't notice. He would notice new shoes though.

Momma_Dukez
Member # 16037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

No, its an Egyptian trend that I myself find very disgusting. My ex was like that...his father used to tell him all the time, 'you hold the dollar so close to your eyes that you cant see anything else around you!'

they live, breathe and dream money.
If money had long hair and a kuss, they'd marry it.

My ex husbands uncle is married to a Morrocan woman my age and she said that all Egyptians care about is money. they will make themselves live like total sh*t just to save money.

but, in the long run, it ends up biting them in the ass.

ive been around these people since my early teens and seen lots of it. they hurt people for money. they are misers too. then when the day comes when they have made thei green, they have gone and pissed off so many people that they are rich yes, but very ALONE.

I have seen so many egyptians marry older western women, the women who help them make all this money, then years later she finds that he went and got himself an egyptian wife and kids back home...all obtained during his marriage to HER.

my ex's uncle Alaa did it. He married this really heavy older woman when he was a dishwasher and she was a waitress.
she helped him open a diner. they had 2 kids. 5 years ago, Alaa suckered my ex out of $30,000 and so he went and whipped out photos of Alaa's new egyptian wife and baby to her as revenge.

When I worked in Alaa's diner as a teen, there was this chef named Nabil. (we all called him billy).
He was married to a waitress named Dottie. Another older, yet quite pretty, woman.

Him and Dottie lived like dirt so Nabil could save money. They opened a restaurant.
Well about 8 years ago, there was this big huge thing where Nabil suckered a co owner out of money.
So what did the co owner do?
Ratted Nabil out to Dottie and let her know he had went back to Egypt on a visit 3 years prior, married a young Egyptian girl and they had two kids...while he was married to Dottie for over ten yrs.

My ex's brother married a very ugly and very fat 38 yr old woman when he was only 20.
Well, they just opened up a restuarant.
He is trying to go back to Cairo, and I recently had to vouch for him at immigration.
My ex told me 'of course he wants a young wife and kids (this woman had a hysterectomy after 2 kids) but he has to get his business!

My own ex is now with a 50 yr old women whose kids are crackheads.
When we got a divorce, he said to me that we can get back together after 3 yrs when he got his business built, then he can sell it and we can go back to egypt.
i told him once hes out that door theres no way im waiting for him....and he left anyway.
this women is fed to teeth with him.
in one yr, he is gonna sell the business, leave HER with the debts and fly back home forever.

i said it once, ill say its more...WATCH THESE MEN!!! MONEY IS THE ONLY THING THAT THEY LIVE FOR! most of you women here just know the egyptian way cuz your husbands that you met.
i know it because ive lived in this culture since i was 12.
i seen things you will NEVER see........yet you all notice and ask about.

why do u think they hop online in egypt and hunt down older western women to marry? because there is a shortage of females in egypt? because they dont like egyptian women? no and NO! its because they cant afford to marry the woman they want to marry in egypt. trust me, they ALL have the one egyptian girl they are in love with and cant marry because they got NO money. so how do they marry her? they have to find a way to get into the states, make money, and go back with much to offer her PLUS by now he is an egyptian citizen which means big respect over there.

none of them want to stay in the west forever! none of them want to be married to an older woman forever and not have his children speaking and living egypt!

dont you women get it by now!

when i go there, all i hear is the american dream this....and how they share ideas of how to gain wealth to bring back home.

its all about the MONEY! marriage and all!

however my ex's family is pissed off big time at him for what he did to me.
everytime him and aleya go thee, i have to hear stories from aleya and get phone calls from his sister rahab (who is like my bff), of how the family is fighting with him for leaving and bringing this old hag to their home.
his father moves out of the house each time he goes there because hes so disgusted with his son.

and this is something that all the families feel...yet they smile in the face of the older wife cuz after all, she IS the reason they now have a better lifestyle!

you know how many western union receipts I found hidden in the attic after he left? receipts of $1000 and more sent every month to cairo! while he made me and aleya live in poverty!? i once found $10,000 hidden away in the house...at the same time he made me go on WIC just to buy formula for our newborn baby cuz he was too cheap to buy it!
when i was pregnant...he made me work full time up to 2 days before the due date. he would take all my money then refused to buy groceries.
i was literally a starving pregnant woman who ended up going to her moms house for dinner at night.

it got so bad, my dad had enough and ripped my ex out of his car and beat his ass up in the street.

look, long story short, they are experts at living a double life.

Posts: 221 | From: philly | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
OK. i'll make it very simple for you.
All my siblings live in the USA.
But that is irrelevent.
Contrary to your belief, just as we do not need a time machine to to study history, we do not need to actually travel the length and breadth of a place interviewing every citizen to know something about a place.
You may or may not have noticed that beginning in 2007 the world began to enter a period of recession, [I'm sure you can google this, if you haven't heard of it]
This began in the USA, and partly as a direct result of 'irrational exhuberance' with credit facilities, [both corporate and personal]plus US/China trade deficits, and a National 'debt' that would make your eyes water if you thought any US government ever intended to service this loan, and since that time, the rest of the world have been painfully reminded, over and over again, from Alan Greenspan [google him dear]
Ben Bernanke, the IMF, even bloody Oprah, that this is the result of trying to have a materialistic consumer society. Especially one that exports hardly anything except weapons and media.
Poor in the US equals BAD. You should know this.
Remember the health care debate?
Most countries [people, citizens] would be proud to announce that they provide healthcare for the poor, this is a FACT.
In the US the very idea was OVERWHELMINGLY greeted with horror. 'Junkies, and [eek!] 'single moms'!
Can you as a normal average citizen begin to grasp how AMAZED we all were at this reaction. How telling it was?
No European that I know of would openly ask for the denial of healthcare [for God's sake!] to the disadvantaged.
Even Marie Antoinette said 'Let them eat cake' she didn't say 'Let the lazy trash die in the streets'.
This is not a personal attack, just about every American I have ever met, I found to be charming and fun.
I assume that this is not because the many Americans I know travel more than most.
But even a ten year old can tell you that American values are overwhelmingly, intrinsically involved with 'ownership'. Stuff.
Materialistic.
Not psychopaths, murderers, not Devil worshippers, not Aliens from Mars.
Just materialistic for generations.
I don't even think of it as an insult.
Just a fact.
And I'm pretty sure your response will be along the lines of 'You Brits are just plain jealous, because we got more ...., better ... stuff...'

Still this sounds like a load of crap.

Americans by and large are not materialistic. You just want them to be so you can feel superior to them in some manner.

Its okay I understand there are tons of positives about Americans and not everyone is going to appreciate any good in Americans.

Its okay, at least you don't live in America and thats the blessing!

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Still this sounds like a load of crap.

Americans by and large are not materialistic.

so you know sweet FA about UK, sweet FA about Egypt and also sweet FA about America. You need to get out more sono. [Wink]
anthropos
Member # 9410

Momma Dukez I am in shock having read your post.

Now I am even getting paranoid as well because I am not allowed to ask about his past. He always says "my past is my own".

hmmm...

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't understand why you are using expressions like he is "not allowing" you to enjoy life or that you "have to accept" to buy used clothes for your kids.

Who is forcing you to accept all this? Why do you allow him to assume control over your life?
[Confused]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com