EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » E-P2 (PN2) unites Niger-Congo, Cushitic and Chadic speakers (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: E-P2 (PN2) unites Niger-Congo, Cushitic and Chadic speakers
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Charlie

Of course I read what you said. While no one ever said
that autosomes tell the whole story (a position you're
bent on arguing against, but why?), someone did actually
imply that haplogroup frequencies are more informative
for uncovering all layers of migrations and their relative
importance in terms of how much they're representative
of the genetic make up of a population. I haven't seen
you reply to that, once, hence, my previous attempt to
put things back on track.

You're going out of your way to defend the usefullness
of haplogroups, when, to my awareness, their value in
general or ability to do what you're suggesting was never
questioned. What exactly is it that you're arguing against,
that makes you so determined to repeat your argument
and feel like you're not being heard?

Quote:
"Man did you read what I said?"

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point of the matter is that there are certain genetic markers only tell one side of the story. Uniparentals tell you exactly that-- one-parent lineages; while autosomes give you a rough picture of how you relate to others in everything else i.e. HLA. Even when both genetic methods are used, it still doesn't tell you their precise history as to which individuals migrated to their present location and mated with which individuals at a certain time. The best that genetics can give are CLUES as to the history of a population. It's just like archaeology. Archaeology gives clues via the material culture. History is perhaps the most accurate but of course written history as we know it is relatively recent and even the earliest histories written are full of mythology.

As for the author of this thread, Amun-Ra is obviously confused as he is biased to the point of blindness. He accuses us of being racist due to his mistaken belief that we are somehow white-washing or 'de-Africanizing' certain populations. We are NOT! However, he thinks this is the case due to the fact that the genetic diversity in Africa shows some populations are more closely related to certain populations while more distantly related to others.

Even the idiotic chart he spams shows this:

-

LOL [Big Grin]

Posts: 26316 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people are over-emphasizing autosomes over the other loci, which should not be the case and I think it has a lot to do with the rise of these DNA companies and these STRUCTURE studies, to the point where people are seeing uni-parentals as useless and that should never be the case.
Posts: 2597 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^It's the contrary. Y-DNA and MtDNA analysis to determine your ancestors are very popular with DNA ancestry companies. They don't use autosomal much even if it could be done too. Ideally all three (Y-DNA, MtDNA, Autosomal) would be done at the same time for the same price. Giving you a more complete picture as I did in this thread:

https://www.familytreedna.com/

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by .Charlie Bass.:
I think people are over-emphasizing autosomes over the other loci, which should not be the case and I think it has a lot to do with the rise of these DNA companies and these STRUCTURE studies, to the point where people are seeing uni-parentals as useless and that should never be the case.

I dont think this is the case. The two do not overlap. One can be easily altered by drift. Here is a clear example. Please match the autosomal profile to this Uniparental Marker.

E1b1b1
H1a

Where in Africa and the new world is this found?

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
quote:

I dont think this is the case. The two do not overlap. One can be easily altered by drift. Here is a clear example. Please match the autosomal profile to this Uniparental Marker.

E1b1b1
H1a

I never said that, but in the case of autosomals....look at Henry Louis gates, both his paternal and maternal uni-parentals are European, autosomally he is 50% African, yet he isn't a mulatto because neither of his parents are white, both are Aframs.

As for your question, well those two uniparentals you posted look about typical for a North African or even a Tuareg

Posts: 2597 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

E1b1b1
H1a

I never said that, but in the case of autosomals....look at Henry Louis gates, both his paternal and maternal uni-parentals are European, autosomally he is 50% African, yet he isn't a mulatto because neither of his parents are white, both are Aframs.

As for your question, well those two uniparentals you posted look about typical for a North African or even a Tuareg

Or

-

That would have a totally different autosomal makeup than North Africans.....and would put the uniparental markers in perspective.

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Beyoku. Hadn't even though of that in
relation to this topic. Individuals with the same hgs but
who belong to different populations will have an
entirely different autosomal signature. If this happens
at the population level (as opposed to the individual
level), you get the very thing that Amun Ra's inner
RAM memory can't seem to process without short
circuiting: at the population level, individuals will
cluster with the populations they're from, every
time, regardless of how much the uniparental profiles
of individuals within those populations resemble, or
are identical to individuals from other, traditionally
separated populations.

By far, in most population affinity uses, hgs are little
more than icing on the cake or even third wheels
compared to autosomal profiles. Sometimes they
have specific niche benefits but the case can be
made that many of these are either not population
affinity/genetic closeness related (e.g. constructing
trees that reflect the extant history of the human
tree, entirely free of recombination) or that
autosomes can perform some of those functions
as well.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
This Reminds me of a discussion with a Somali. One of those nationalist "we not black....we not negro" types. I then proceeded to have him describe the Somali genesis and who was on Somalia prior to Somali and what negroids they have mixed with. He did a pretty bad job and tried to pin it all down to E-m78(v32). Somali are dominated by v32 but this marker only describes a paternal event in the area. It's hypothesized To have happened quite recent per Sanchez. ..I think 5600 or 6500 years ago.

Point is there are remains in Somalia that predate this. There is rock art in Somalia that dates to 6500 BC or earlier. It would be foolish to think Somali popped into existence with the dating of their main paternal marker. This marker is associated with s SMALL migration and has arisen to high frequency through drift.

Futuremore it is likely western Sudanese with high V32 have a different autosomal profile than Somali. According to limited STR at least they do.

beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
To add. What this parental marker DOES do, is let you get a picture of WHERE the small migration population came from before it rose to near fixation. It adds another element to the discussion. E-M81 reaching fixation in the Maghreb can be an anomaly when dealing with their autosomal profile....it does though let you know the Source of the founder in reg to the "founder effect".

The discussion in genetics has moved from uniparentals to Autosomal SNP's complimented by uniparentals. Many populations SHARE uniparentals. This is particularly the case with the area from Southern Europe through the fertile crescent and into the Horn and East Africa. If using the time span of "Dey all be E-PN2" as a gauge, then there is a vast span of lineages shared between Africans and non Africans when it comes to derivatives of M and N...Particularly RO. This would leads to vast swathes of that area mentioned above sharing R0 when not reduced all they way down to H. And Pn2. Folks in the chad basin would have an even closer sharing relationship with Europeans based on the sharing between Pn2 and R1.

The entire argument really falls flat when we look at NEW RESEARCH. Folks here dont know but haplogroup R and many lineages in south East Asia and the southern pacific have been consolidated and resolved down into SIMPLE SUBCLADES OF K2B. Yep you heard it....M, S, Q, R, P are all subcaldes of one K2b. If we take a step back to K2 we can include ALL of Haplogroup N and the VAST East Asian population of Haplogroup O.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_K-M9
The time frame of K2 breaking up in the diversity that it is today and all the populations it represents IS YOUNGER THAN the breakup of Haplogroup E and its subclades. [Roll Eyes]

I will repeat that for emphasis and clarify:

The time frame of K2 breaking up in and Haplogroup diversity it represents today....and all the Autosomal separation between these populations (Europeans, Paupans, Chinese, Central Asians, Negritos, Southern Indians, Sub Saharans[T,R], Native Americans etc) IS YOUNGER THAN the breakup of Haplogroup E and its subclades....and possibly even E1b1 depending on the dating. [Roll Eyes]

I know most of you dont study Eurasian genetics but to put things in perspective it would be very similar to finding new Y mutations in Africa that indicate that ALL the African uniparental markers can be resolved under a subclade of Sahelian E1a or East African B2a. once you understand the implications you can see how false it is to think Y dna is more important than or directly implies autosome.

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:

... Cushitic, Chadic and Niger-Kordofanian speakers as well
as various African populations are genetically closer to each
others than
they are to any non-African populations:

[...]

-

[...]

... the Fulani AAC cluster is closer to non-Africans than
for example Niger-Kordofanian and Nilo-Saharan speakers are
to non-Africans
. The Fulani AAC is still much closer to the
Niger-Kordofanian and Nilo-Saharan AAC than to any non-African AACs.

Inferring Tishkoff (2009r) Figure S14

Well, actually, the ordered tip
to tip distance from European is

* Cushitic
* Nilo-Saharan
* Sandawe
* Fulani & Niger-Kordofanian & Chadic
* Southern African Khoesan
* W. Pygmy
* Hadza

so, no, Fulani are not "closer
to non-Africans than"
are their
Niger-Kordofanian co-linguists.
The two are ~equidistant from
European.

However please note that the

* Cushitic
* Nilo-Saharan
* Sandawe

are closer to non-Fulani Niger-
Kordofanians than Fulani are to
their fellow Niger-Kordofanian
speakers.

The Fulani are closer to all Africans
than they are to non-Africans, except

* Southern African Khoesan/Mbuti
* W.Pygmy
* Hadza

are further from Fulani than Fulani
are from European & Indian.

Cushitic are closer to to all Africans
than they are to non-Africans, except
* Hadza
are further from Cushitic than Cushitic
are from European & Indian.

Remember, the above are my observations of
Tishkoff (2009r) Figure S14 aSTR nucleotide
genetic distances measured tip to tip, not
stem to stem.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

* Cushitic
* Nilo-Saharan
* Sandawe
* W. Pygmy
* Hadza

to non-Africans than"
are their
European.

Well, actually, you're wrong.

And it's not the first time you fail to understand very basic things then come here to tell me, I'm the one who is wrong with an exaggerated confidence sure of yourself, instead of simply asking questions and ask me for clarification, if I'm able and willing to provide them. Obviously I can make simple errors too sometimes, all informed criticisms and counter-argumentation are welcome. It's a bit why I post those stuff here.

As I already explained to Beyoku (and thus to all readers of this forum) in greater length in another thread, that's not how you measure the distance between populations. You must not measure the distance from the tip but from the beginning of the colored lines.

If you check out p13-14 in the paragraph about Fig. S14 in the Tishkoff document ( DOWNLOAD HERE) . You will read:

The Fulani and Cushitic [] are closest to the non-African AACs. - Tiskhoff et al., P13-14

So it is indeed, as I implied in my previous post in this thread, Fulani and then Cushitic populations which are the closest to non-African AACs and the European AAC. Obviously, they are still much closer to the other African AACs than to the non-African ones.

As a side note, this is also reflected by the uniparental haplogroups of those populations which display a greater proportion of recent post-OOA Eurasian haplogroups admixtures (back migrations) in those populations.

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Why someone would rely on trees or dendrograms to
infer pairwise genetic distances is completely
beyond me.

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
To add. What this parental marker DOES do, is let you get a picture of WHERE the small migration population came from before it rose to near fixation. It adds another element to the discussion. E-M81 reaching fixation in the Maghreb can be an anomaly when dealing with their autosomal profile....it does though let you know the Source of the founder in reg to the "founder effect".

The discussion in genetics has moved from uniparentals to Autosomal SNP's complimented by uniparentals. Many populations SHARE uniparentals. This is particularly the case with the area from Southern Europe through the fertile crescent and into the Horn and East Africa. If using the time span of "Dey all be E-PN2" as a gauge, then there is a vast span of lineages shared between Africans and non Africans when it comes to derivatives of M and N...Particularly RO. This would leads to vast swathes of that area mentioned above sharing R0 when not reduced all they way down to H. And Pn2. Folks in the chad basin would have an even closer sharing relationship with Europeans based on the sharing between Pn2 and R1.

The entire argument really falls flat when we look at NEW RESEARCH. Folks here dont know but haplogroup R and many lineages in south East Asia and the southern pacific have been consolidated and resolved down into SIMPLE SUBCLADES OF K2B. Yep you heard it....M, S, Q, R, P are all subcaldes of one K2b. If we take a step back to K2 we can include ALL of Haplogroup N and the VAST East Asian population of Haplogroup O.

The time frame of K2 breaking up in the diversity that it is today and all the populations it represents IS YOUNGER THAN the breakup of Haplogroup E and its subclades. [Roll Eyes]

The time frame of K2 breaking up in and Haplogroup diversity it represents today....and all the Autosomal separation between these populations (Europeans, Paupans, Chinese, Central Asians, Negritos, Southern Indians, Sub Saharans[T,R], Native Americans etc) IS YOUNGER THAN the breakup of Haplogroup E and its subclades....and possibly even E1b1 depending on the dating. [Roll Eyes]

I know most of you dont study Eurasian genetics but to put things in perspective it would be very similar to finding new Y mutations in Africa that indicate that ALL the African uniparental markers can be resolved under a subclade of Sahelian E1a or East African B2a. once you understand the implications you can see how false it is to think Y dna is more important than or directly implies autosome.

I agree with you bro, but the biggest flaw in regards to autosomals is when they try to use autosomals to track ancient population movements which to me in highly problematic. First reason is their proposed spread of autosomal ancestry is often at odds with the known inroduction and spread of certain mtDNA and Y haplogroups. I look at the case of the Khoisan, a couple of papers claim these people have anceint Eurasian admixture from East Africans, but there is no recognisable signature of anything Eurasian as far as haplogroups on neither the maternal nor paternal side.

The other thing is and we are seeing this is Europeans vs ancient European DNA being analysed, the autosomal make up of the ancients vs the moderns are very different and that can change several times over thousands of years. The same can happen for uniparentals but if there is a change you can track much more precisely on the uniparental side, thats how we know that thousands of years ago haplogroup A and B carriers(along with some now extinct lineages) were replaced by haplogroup E carriers, autosomals aren't as reliable in that regard. Autosomals are good for looking at the total genetic make up of populations if you are looking for percentages, but to me and this is jst me, they say nothing about ancient population movements. Look at that study on North African that proposed several movements of Eurasians into North Africa over 40,000 years

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:
I look at the case of the Khoisan, a couple of papers claim these people have anceint Eurasian admixture from East Africans, but there is no recognisable signature of anything Eurasian as far as haplogroups on neither the maternal nor paternal side.

That's not right. The percentage of Eurasian admixtures in Khoisan populations found in those autosomal studies is usually very low. But you can still see recognizable signature of Eurasian haplogroups in Khoisan populations. If we look at Y chromosome haplogroup frequencies table 3 on page 8 of this study ( download study here) Khoisan got 0.5% of Eurasian haplogroup I, 1.1% of R1a1 and 1.6% of R1b, all signatures of Eurasian haplogroups admixtures (post-OOA).

For a population like the Nama it's even higher (see here, fig3b p44) , in accordance to Pickrell (see here, Table 1) higher Eurasian autosomal finding for that particular population.

In general, you must always consider and take into account sample bias, SNP ascertainment bias and small sample size in those studies as I explained to you in another thread, as well as taking into account both uniparental DNA haplogroups and autosomal DNA as demonstrated in this thread.

beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
I think you misunderstood C-Bass.

Southern Africans were hypothesized to have "Eurasian" admixture via East Africans. East Africans have "Eurasians" admixture via southwest Asians. East Africans have the signatures of the admixture via uniparental markers: Generically speaking M89 and mtdna N.

The admixture in question goes back to a date in Horners where one would expect the Uniparental signature (M89 and mtdna N.) to be passed from East Africans to Southern Africans but that is not the case. Southern Africans instead only have signatures of Horn Ancestry...........indicating the South West Asian lineages in question were lost through drift or were never present in the Horn Africans that brought them.

Of course this does NOT take into account the very very recent EUROPEAN ancestry found in Southern Africans via rape and colonization of the area in the past few 100 years.

It is obvious that the research in question is looking at the Nile Valley/Rift valley under a lense that is too simplistic. Anyone that looks at the region should understand that there were a number of distinct groups in the Horn with differing uniparental profiles. The group...specifically the southern Cushitic speakers that traveled south and were absorbed into click speakers were distinct from other Horn populations affected by SW Asians. Off top I can think of at least 4 differing groups of East Africans dominated by certain uniparental markers that neighboring groups may not have had and have. All one needs to do is look at the discontinuity of lineages like V32, E-V6, L4, M1a etc. One southward expansion from the horn hypothetically would be of a population totally lacking in M78 while the other would not. The same could be said for M-329 and M-293.

IMO The horners in question that transverse to South Africa were absent M89. The M89 lineages found in Some horners is in fact more recent African mediated gene flow between neighboring populations. I believe it was Pickrell or that similar dated study on south Africans, when one looks at the expansion dates and admixture of all world populations Ethiopians have the oldest or second oldest expansion dates in ALL human groups sampled.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
The "Eurasian" population that admixed with Khoisans
are projected to have been ~75% African. I don't
see why that would have to leave a Eurasian hg
signature in the recipient populations. I'm not
saying there is no such hg signature, I'm saying that,
in principle, there doesn't need to be one today. The
very fact that select South Africans have notable freqs
of hgs like L4, L5 and E-M293 today, and that these are
especially found in South African pastoralists,
proves that East Africans migrated there recently.
This absence of substantial derived Eurasian hgs
in these admixed Khoisan populations is clearly a(nother)
case where hgs have proven unreliable trackers of
migrations.

It was the study of autosomal DNA that brought
clarity to the hitch-hiking layer of Eurasian
ancestry towards South Africa, when hg investigations
initially failed to attract researchers' undivided
attention towards these "new" genetic aspects of the
E-M293 migration, which go together well with what
was initially known as movement of East African
hgs, pottery and cattle to South Africa.

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
migrations.

I believe they see mixture and are trying to find a satisfactory date, thus all that talk about Aksum when in reality Aksum was a kingdom of its own without any significant mixture from the Red Sea. I think that specific "Eurasian2 ancestry is just Horn ancestry but of a different type
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Beyoku. Nice lead on K-M9. I, also, haven’t paid much attention to East Asian lineage until discovering N1c in equatorial West Africans. I just started getting into it.

Quote:

The time frame of K2 breaking up in the diversity that it is today and all the populations it represents IS YOUNGER THAN the breakup of Haplogroup E and its subclades.

The time frame of K2 breaking up in and Haplogroup diversity it represents today....and all the Autosomal separation between these populations (Europeans, Paupans, Chinese, Central Asians, Negritos, Southern Indians, Sub Saharans[T,R], Native Americans etc) IS YOUNGER THAN the breakup of Haplogroup E and its subclades....and possibly even E1b1 depending on the dating

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have the study? –

Seeing the wood for the trees: a minimal reference phylogeny for the human Y chromosome.- van Oven

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Havent paid much attention to this thread but what Bass said got me attention. I agree with Bass we needed to look at things holistically. HG completement AIM..

Also - to Beyoku's comment. Is the younger age of K2 indicative of a truly very recent OOA if AMH.

Some of us get confused with the letters and position in the Alphabet. The age of the HG is a lot more informative. Infact they need to adjust the nomenclature of the male and female PhyloTree

beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
^ how recent is recent?
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Do you have the study? It is behind the paywall. It is fascinating that K2 is now parental to these "Asian" lineage even R. Yet T, L R is found within Africa.

Keep in mind C6 is being found from Iberia to Siberia. lol! From 6000-45000 ya.

How recent is recent?

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Heh! you guys carry on. I just needed a copy or link of that study.

--------------------

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
migrations.

I believe they see mixture and are trying to find a satisfactory date, thus all that talk about Aksum when in reality Aksum was a kingdom of its own without any significant mixture from the Red Sea. I think that specific "Eurasian2 ancestry is just Horn ancestry but of a different type
I'm interested to see how you'd explain that there
is a clear difference between the highly derived
autosomal ancestry shared between East Africans
and West Asians (i.e. the autosomal component that
never seems to differentiate at higher Ks) and the
non-derived autosomal ancestry shared between
Ethiopians and West Asians (which does differentiate),
and why, in the African continent, the former peaks
in, and is mainly restricted to, Highland Ethiopians
(i.e. occupants of the Axum area), while the latter
is found throughout the wider region and seems to
correspond to Tishkoff's "Cushitic" cluster.

If you ask me, the former autosomal component
looks young and intrusive per all these specifics,
and the fact that, among Highland Ethiopians, it's
found more in speakers of a linguistic subclade
that is also clearly intrusive and just as old as
the immediate predecessors of the Axum kingdom,
doesn't help.

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Technically, autosomal mixture goes back as far as the mixture you get from your grandparents. I believe they are just seeing share components between some Eurasians and Horners, labelling it "Eurasian," then trying to fit it in some how.
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
quote:
Technically, autosomal mixture goes back as far as the mixture you get from your grandparents.

What? Did someone take control of your computer and post this?
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
@Charlie

I get that that's your point, but why does the
genetic material shared with Arabs that centers in
the Ethiopian Highlands not resolve into it's on
cluster at K=20, if it's old?

quote:
Technically, autosomal mixture goes back as far as the mixture you get from your grandparents.

You'd have to explain that one to me..
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
http://dna-explained.com/2013/08/05/autosomal-dna-ancient-ancestors-ethnicity-and-the-dandelion/

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/finding-your-roots/blog/breaking-autosomal-dna/

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
What you just linked to speaks for itself. Beyoku also
touched on this with the image that was discussed a
page ago. The genetic material of all those ancestors
is firmly lodged in our genome (no matter the size
of the segments) so I don't see how that fits in the
context in which you seemed to imply that the
dating work done by Pagani and Pickrell is technically
impossible and entirely the product of their own
imagination and wishful thinking.

These are hefty accussations that you don't seem
intent on backing up any time soon. You're obviously
deliberately dancing around what you're asked,
several times now, so, never mind.

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Well take me for example. my mtDNA haplogroup is East African L4b2, no downstream, I have very minor east African ancestry but my mother and grandmother have it higher, get where I'm going? You can not reliably date autosomals and given recombination..........
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
The estimates arrived at by the authors exploit
recombination. So, not only do they work in spite of
recombination; they leverage its effects on the genome.

The YRI - CEU dates reported for the controls (i.e.
Aframs and N.Africans) in Pagani are on-point, as far
as the most recent admixture events are concerned.
Big vouch for the reliability of their estimates. The
dates reported by Moorjani et al 2011, as far as the
latest admixture events are concerned, are also on-
point.

I can go on for a while. But I get it, you still think
they're unreliable. Okay.

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
They are reliable but with limitations
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why someone would rely on trees or dendrograms to
infer pairwise genetic distances is completely
beyond me.

I dunno??

Does Tishkoff (2009) present
5 "pairwise genetic distance
trees or dendrograms" so that
we should not rely on them to
infer such distances?
  1. Figure S7: Neighbor-joining tree from pairwise (δμ)² microsatellite genetic distances between populations (S16).
  2. Figure S8: Neighbor-joining tree from pairwise Rst microsatellite genetic distances between populations (S15).
  3. Figure S14: Un-rooted neighbor-joining tree based on pairwise nucleotide genetic distances using inferred ancestral
    allele frequencies from the global STRUCTURE analysis at K = 14.
  4. Figure S18: Un-rooted neighbor-joining tree from pairwise net nucleotide genetic distances calculated from the inferred
    ancestral allele frequencies at K = 14 from STRUCTURE analysis of the African dataset.
  5. Figure S21: Un-rooted neighbor-joining tree from pairwise net nucleotide genetic distances calculated from the inferred
    ancestral allele frequencies for clusters at K = 10 with STRUCTURE analysis of the Eastern African dataset

I see no such tables, so,
other than the above trees,
where in this 2009 report does
Tishkoff relate pairwise genetic
information?

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

* Cushitic
* Nilo-Saharan
* Sandawe
* W. Pygmy
* Hadza

to non-Africans than"
are their
European.

Well, actually, you're wrong.

And it's not the first time you fail to understand very basic things then come here to tell me, I'm the one who is wrong with an exaggerated confidence sure of yourself, instead of simply asking questions and ask me for clarification, if I'm able and willing to provide them. Obviously I can make simple errors too sometimes, all informed criticisms and counter-argumentation are welcome. It's a bit why I post those stuff here.

As I already explained to Beyoku (and thus to all readers of this forum) in greater length in another thread, that's not how you measure the distance between populations. You must not measure the distance from the tip but from the beginning of the colored lines.

If you check out p13-14 in the paragraph about Fig. S14 in the Tishkoff document ( DOWNLOAD HERE) . You will read:

The Fulani and Cushitic [] are closest to the non-African AACs. - Tiskhoff et al., P13-14

So it is indeed, as I implied in my previous post in this thread, Fulani and then Cushitic populations which are the closest to non-African AACs and the European AAC. Obviously, they are still much closer to the other African AACs than to the non-African ones.

As a side note, this is also reflected by the uniparental haplogroups of those populations which display a greater proportion of recent post-OOA Eurasian haplogroups admixtures (back migrations) in those populations.

I didn't come here to tell you
you were wrong. I came here to
add my own observations about
that NJ Tree.

You are absolutely correct.

Tishkoff's comments on Fig S14
are surely based on stem to stem
measure not my mistaken tip to tip
method which, however, is standard
as Beyoku and the Lioness relayed
from professional sources starting
with your comment here followed
by further discussion ending here.

I do not agree the colored bars
represent, in your words, "within
population genetic distance/"diversity"
(not nucleotide diversity)" because
Fig S14's label clearly states the tree
represents nucleotide genetic distances
whether between or within populations.

I am here to learn. Who are my teachers?
All of you. Thanks for the correction ARtU.
Will tuck it away in my "how-to-read" notes.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com