EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » The Easter Story!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Easter Story!
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Testament Book / Author
Statement / Witness
Verse(s)

The Visitors to the Tomb

Matthew
"Mary Magdalene and the other Mary".
28:1

Mark
"Mary Magdalene, the mother of James, and Salome".
16:1

Luke
"Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and other women".
24:10

John
"Mary Magdalene".
20:1

Their Purpose in Visiting the Tomb

Matthew
They came "to see the tomb". Doesn't previously mention that the body was already spiced, but only "wrapped" (27:59).

Mark
They "brought spices" in order to "anoint him". Doesn't previously mention that the body was spiced, but only "wrapped" (15:46).
15:47, 16:1

Luke
To bring "the spices which they had prepared". Previous to this it mentions that the body was "wrapped" (23:53) and that the women "prepared spices" (23:56).
24:1

John
No reason stated, but the body was "bound" with "spices" by Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus on one of the day(s) previous to Sunday . Notice that Luke 23:55 says that "the women" observed the tomb and "how the body was laid" - but later had to return to bring the "spices which they had prepared" (24:1)!!!
19:38-40

The Time of the Visit to the Tomb

Matthew
As it "began to dawn".

Mark
It was "very early in the morning . . . at the rising of the sun" (KJV); "when the sun had risen" (NKJV); "when the sun had risen" (NRSV); "just after sunrise" (NIV).
16:2

Luke
It was "very early in the morning" (KJV); "very early in the morning" (NKJV); "at early dawn" (NRSV).

John
It was "early, while it was still dark".

The Status of the Entrance of the Tomb

Matthew
Closed, but opened by an angel after a "great earthquake".
28:2

Mark
Open, since "the stone had been rolled away". They entered the tomb.
16:4-5

Luke
Open, since "they found the stone rolled away". Seemingly their first visit to the tomb, since they were "greatly perplexed about this".
24:2-4

John
Opened, and Mary runs to "Simon Peter, and to the other disciple".
20:1-2

The Angel(s)/Messenger(s) at the Tomb

Matthew
One "angel of the Lord".
28:2-7

Mark
One "young man clothed in a long white robe".
16:5

Luke
Two "men" who "stood by them in shining garments".
24:4

John
Two angels "in white" appear to Mary after "Simon Peter" and to the "other disciple" depart.
20:12

The Location of the Angel(s)/Messenger(s) at the Tomb

Matthew
Angel spoke while sitting on the stone.
28:2

Mark
Sitting inside the tomb, on the "right side".
16:5

Luke
Standing "beside them" inside the tomb.
24:3-4

John
Sitting "one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain".
20:12

The Statment(s) of the Angels(s)/Messenger(s)

Matthew
"Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead: and indeed he is going before you into Galilee; there you will see him: Behold, I have told you."
28:5-7

Mark
"Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go and tell his disciples - and Peter - that he is going before you into Galilee; there you will see him, as he said to you."
16:6-7

Luke
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen! Remember how he spoke to you when he was still in Galilee, saying, 'The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.'"
24:5-7

John
"Woman, why are you weeping?", Mary then turns around and sees Jesus, but doesn't recognize him.
20:13-14

Did the Visitors to the Tomb Tell Others?

Matthew
Yes, since they "ran to bring his disciples word".
28:8

Mark
No, since "they said nothing to anyone". Later it says that Mary Magdalene "went and told those who had been with him".
16:8; 16:10

Luke
Yes, since "they returned from the tomb and told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest".
24:9, 22-24

John
Yes, since "Mary Magdelene came and told the disciples".
20:18

Did "Mary" Know That Jesus was Resurrected?

Matthew
Yes.
(28:7-8

Mark
Yes.
16:10,11

Luke
Yes.
24:10, 22-23

John
No.
20:2, 14

Who was the "First" to see Jesus?

Matthew
Apparently Mary Magdalene and Mary, since they "met" Jesus on the way to tell the disciples.
28:9

Mark
Mary Magdalene was "first".
16:9

Luke
Apparently the two on the road to Emmaus.
24:13

John
Mary Magdalene.
20:14

When did "Mary" First See Jesus?

Matthew
On her way to tell the disciples.

Mark
Before she returned to the disciples.
16:9, 10

Luke
Doesn't say.
---

John
At the tomb, after the angel(s) spoke to her - "Simon Peter, and to the other disciple" had "went away"..
20:10, 14

Was Jesus in a Spiritual or Physical Body After the Resurrection?

Matthew
Physical, since they "came and held him by the feet", even though he managed to get out of the tomb before the stone was rolled away.

Mark
Like a spirit, since he "appeared" to Mary Magdalene, but "appeared" in "another form" to the two men on the road.
16:9, 12

Luke
Physical, since Jesus says "a spirit does not have flesh and bones" and he eats.
24:39, 43

John
Seemingly spiritual, since Jesus says "do not cling to me". However, Thomas later touches Jesus.
20:17, 27

The First Appearance of Jesus (After the Women)

Matthew
To the "eleven disciples".
28:16

Mark
To "two" disciples "in the country", but later he appears to "the eleven".
16:12,14

Luke
To the two disciples travelling on the road to Emmaus, and later to "the eleven".
24:13,36

John
A number is not stated, but Thomas - "one of the twelve" - was absent (along with Judas), so apparently only ten.
20:19, 24

Paul - I Corinthians
To "Cephas" (i.e. Peter), and then to "the twelve" (even though all of the Gospels only mention "eleven", since Judas was already dead!!!)
15:5

The Location of Jesus’ First Appearance

Matthew
On a mountain in Galilee, which is, at a minimum, between 60 and 70 miles away!!!.
28:16-17

Mark
"In the country" to two disciples, but to the eleven "as they sat at the table".
16:12,14

Luke
On the road to Emmaus (about seven miles from Jerusalem), and later to the disciples in a room in Jerusalem in the "evening".
24:29, 31, 33, 36

John
In a room, during the "evening".
20:19

Did the Disciples of Jesus Believe the "Two Men"?

Matthew
Not mentioned..
---

Mark
No, since "they did not believe them either".
16:13

Luke
Yes; since "the eleven" were saying "The Lord is risen indeed . . . " - as if they already knew.
24:34

John
Two men not mentioned. Doesn't say if they believed Mary.
---

What Happened at the Appearance of Jesus?

Matthew
The disciples "worshipped him", though "some doubted", Jesus speaks.
28:17-18

Mark
Jesus "rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart".
16:14

Luke
Jesus, unrecognizable to any of them, materializes out of nowhere, and the discipes "thought they had seen a spirit". Jesus questions "the eleven", eats, and then "led them out as far as Bethany".
24:36-50

John
Jesus appears "in their midst" (even though the "doors were shut") and the disciples were "glad" to see him. Jesus speaks, but does not reprimand them.
21:19-23

Did Jesus Stay on Earth for Very Long After the Ressurection?

Matthew
Doesn't say.
28:17-18

Mark
No, since he was "received up into heaven" after he had spoken. Note that John 20:19 says that the meeting took place on "the first day of the week" - i.e. Sunday..
16:19

Luke
No, since he ascends on Sunday evening - the same day of his resurrection. This can be deduced because on "that same day" (24:13), which was "the third day since" the crucifixion (24:20-21), he met the two on the road to Emmau and continued with them until it was "toward evening" (24:29). After recognizing Jesus that evening, the two "rose up that very hour and returned to Jeruslam" (24:33), where they met "the eleven". Jesus appeared to them as "they said these things" (24:36). Jesus speaks to them and then accompanies them "as far as Bethany" (24:50), where he then ascends (24:51).
24:13, 20-21, 29, 33, 36, 50-51

John
Yes, at least "eight" days.
20:26

Acts
Yes, since it specifies "forty" days.
1:3

The Location of Jesus’ Ascension into Heaven

Matthew
No ascension reported and the book ends on the mountain in Galilee.
---

Mark
In "Galilee", after meeting "the eleven".
16:7; 16:14

Luke
In Bethany, near Jerusalem.
24:50-51

John
Jesus' ascension is not mentioned.
---

Acts
From the Mount of Olives.
1:9-12

Paul
Never mentions the ascension.
---

Did Jesus Tell His Disciples to Stay in Jerusalem?

Matthew
Not mentioned, but apparently not since they went to Galilee (a minium of 60-70 miles away).
---

Mark
Not mentioned, but apparently he did not, since they went to Galilee (a minium of 60-70 miles away).
---

Luke
Yes, he told them "tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high". After the ascension, they returned from Bethany "to Jersalam" and "were continually in the temple". The "power from on high " came fifty days after the resurrection on Pentecost (Acts 1 and 2).
24:50-53

John
Not mentioned.
---

Acts
Yes, he told them "not to depart from Jerusalem".
1:4

Very Intresting study
http://thetruereligion.org/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=136

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Egypt
Member # 10436

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Egypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are many reasons for these contradictions, one of them because it is a copyist error. so stop attacking the bible please.
Posts: 1201 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know whats the origin of the easter bunny?
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no but easter egg are nice
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am just showing what is confusing in it.
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have randomly chosen one okay.
Can you point out the contradiction please. I cannot see it, can you highlight the difference please.

Because for the life of me I cannot see that these are different. They are all descibing Dawn, the sun rise.............
Thank you

The Time of the Visit to the Tomb

Matthew
As it "began to dawn".

Mark
It was "very early in the morning . . . at the rising of the sun" (KJV); "when the sun had risen" (NKJV); "when the sun had risen" (NRSV); "just after sunrise" (NIV).
16:2

Luke
It was "very early in the morning" (KJV); "very early in the morning" (NKJV); "at early dawn" (NRSV).

John
It was "early, while it was still dark".

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elkadi80:

Does all this stuff confuse you??
really does it???
What you need is to step away from the computer slowly and have a lie down in a dark corner. Get a close relative to call the doctor out. You may need some help or treatment of some kind if you seriously are confused by this..........I am just concerned for you..........kidding aside, please seek some help mate. [Wink]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
quote:
Originally posted by elkadi80:

Does all this stuff confuse you??
really does it???
What you need is to step away from the computer slowly and have a lie down in a dark corner. Get a close relative to call the doctor out. You may need some help or treatment of some kind if you seriously are confused by this..........I am just concerned for you..........kidding aside, please seek some help mate. [Wink]

Its not my problem that you don't know the diffrence between "when the sun had risen" and "while it was still dark"
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats dawn then?
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just goes to show,you carnt belive what you read
and that goes for all religon

Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

and thats it iam going back to sleep
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does elkadi80 understand that each of the four gospels is written by a different apostle? And at different times?

I wonder if you took a Quran, one in Arabic, one in Urdu, one in Farsi and put them side by side and translated them into Greek and then English if the versions would be identical?

And when it comes to rolling back of the tomb's boulder, the occurance happened before 3 different women. None of the gospels were written by these three women.

And I highly doubt all three came to the tomb at the same time.

Mother Mariam was in her late 40s, Magdalene was in her late 20s, and I can't remember the third was quite a bit younger.

There are 2 possible tomb sites where Jesus was laid to rest. An elder businessman in the community "Joseph" not Jesus's father donated his tomb for Jesus. And if he was as wealthy as the accounts has lead us to believe, Joseph's tomb was to be high up and far away from town.

Now, a woman who has less than 10 years left of her life tops, a repentant well, "service provider" in her late 20s, and a young woman no later than her teens; there will be a massive gap in who arrives at the tomb site first.

But the two angels made their appearance for all 3 women.

There are loads of factual detail that didn't make it into the Gospels. Scientific fact from Archeology, and historians do not harm the Gospel's strength and truth. Actually quite the opposite, much of the recent scientific discoveries strengthen the accounts of the Gospels.

elkadi80, what a waste.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com