EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Afghanistan today, in the midst of war and endemic poverty, an ancient tradition--banned when the Taliban were in power--has re-emerged across the country. It's called Bacha Bazi, translated literally as "boy play." Hundreds of boys, some as young as eleven, street orphans or boys bought from poor families by former warlords and powerful businessmen, are dressed in woman's clothes, taught to sing and dance for the entertainment of male audiences, and then sold to the highest bidder or traded among the men for sex.

With remarkable access inside a Bacha Bazi ring operating in Northern Afghanistan, Najibullah Quraishi, an Afghan journalist, investigates this practice, still illegal under Afghan law, talking with the boys, their families, and their masters, exposing the sexual abuse and even murders of the boys, and documenting how Afghan authorities responsible for stopping these crimes are sometimes themselves complicit in the practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AerarcL5SU

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this on TV last week. It was so upsetting and these 'men' were proud of it. [Frown] [Mad]
Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure
Member # 12244

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a shame.
Posts: 319 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrMoussaka
Member # 17647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMoussaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I found out about these Afghan boys was when I was watching the film THE HORSE MEN(produced 1970) a few months ago, which starred famous Egyptian actor Omar Sharif. It's very hard to ignore a scene with a young man dressed in woman's clothing and dancing in public, when one watches old classics. I often watch such oldies to get away from the rubbish and decadence of a lot of modern films. In any case, I thought it was just my imagination concerning the dancing boy of the film above, and so thank goodness for the REWIND and FORWARD capabilities of DVD and VCR players these days

It is sad that there's a lot of evil that had taken root in many 'islamic'(??) countries, and then for a lot of the perpetrators to turn around and present themselves as good and solid Muslim citizens in front of the public. How could this be any different to abuses(especially sexual abuse) committed by so-called 'good and solid'(???) Christian citizens against their own flock?

Having said the above, the Islam I had known through personal research(eg. reading of the holy book) is actually a beautiful path to follow...if one can only steel himself from the evil of men(and sometimes, women too...eg. female circumcision) around him

Posts: 62 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com