EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » 'Islam Is Like a Drug' (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 'Islam Is Like a Drug'
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
Well...

A minority can indeed mean some group of people that are less in numbers, but a minority can also mean a group of people that has less power, but are as many or even more, i.e. women have been called a minority because of their lack of power and inequality in comparison to men. Still they are usually around 50% of all populations.

What I think Rahala is trying to say is that Egyptian Copts are the true owners of the land and as such should not be regarded as a minority.
It is strange to understand this thinking. It is similar to the logic of the Israeli argument or their claim to the land.

Woman are refereed to minorities in the work force or as business owners but I don't think the word means less power. Maybe the word he thinks we are using is "subordinate"..... What do you think?
Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D_Oro:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
I'm still trying to figure out where aboriginals comes into it, the meaning of that must have also changed [Big Grin]

ferrets last line reminded me though, rahala always did state that most words don't mean what they say, this is why, he has obviously re-written the English Dictionary. Oxford will be so pleased [Big Grin]

Actually this is a true definition. Aboriginal means original or native.
yes but his statement is still wrong and shows he still doesn't get what monirity means.

quote:
Originally posted by Rahala:
How could you call somebody a minority if he is aboriginal ?

Muslims and Christians in this country are aboriginals .

Muslims are not original here, if anyone is closer to 'Egyptian' here it is the Christians, but even so they ARE a minority because there are less of them than there are Muslims! Whether someone is 'aboriginal' makes no difference to that, are the North American Indians not a minority in USA?
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I wonder what we should call the Greek and Armenian communities living in Istanbul. They were there long before Turkish conquest in 1453. They have different ethnicity and religion and only 70,000-80,000 of them left. Aren't they minority according to Ahmad's logic?
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to his description the Greek and Armenians would not be the minority because they are the Aboriginal.

Rahala, What is your definition of the word minority? [Confused]

Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe we need to clear up the difference between "immigrants" and "aboriginals".

It is obvious that rahala looks at the Copts as aboriginals and the muslim invaders as immigrants.
So the question remains:
Do aboriginals have more rights than immigrants and as such have more power and should not be titles minority because such description surely involves power and lack of power (please read foucault for your information and pleasure).

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
(please read foucault for your information and pleasure) - Can you supply a link?

--------------------
www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square

Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
According to his description the Greek and Armenians would not be the minority because they are the Aboriginal.

A minority in my thinking is not about the number of people belonging to it ,but rather their situation in the society they are living in .

If some people are isolated in a certain society ,and they do not feel like they are part of that particular society and other people in the society do not welcome them then they are minority

this is my definition which is not about the number at all .you see it is rather a political definition .

So Christians in Egypt are not minority ,they are not isolated ,do not feel so , Muslims do welcome them .

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
maybe we need to clear up the difference between "immigrants" and "aboriginals".

It is obvious that rahala looks at the Copts as aboriginals and the muslim invaders as immigrants.
So the question remains:
Do aboriginals have more rights than immigrants and as such have more power and should not be titles minority because such description surely involves power and lack of power (please read foucault for your information and pleasure).

No I do not .

Egyptian society over history was big that it could absorb immigrants .

So I see all the Egyptian people as aboriginals since they must have one Egyptian grand grandfather.
Muslims and Christians

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what is your point with this discussion?

You are looking at the religion factor in people's lives as a minor part and classifying everybody as Egyptian/Aboriginals?

Welcome to Aborginia (formerly known as Egypt)

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
^I am not classifying Egyptians as Egyptians/Aboriginals.

Egyptians are Egyptians even they were Syrians but got the Egyptian citizenship,simple as that .

I do not look at the factor as a minor part ,but the relationship between Muslims and Christians in Egypt is not religious ,it is Egyptian-Egyptian relationship.

You see ,in Egypt we -Muslims and Christians-have the same habits even in marriage .

Christians in Egypt say

"Allah Akbar " and "Besm Allah " "Alhamdu lelah "

it is the same Islamic vocabulary Muslims use .

Muslims in Egypt say

"Al-Hares Allah " "Besm Al-nabi "

which is the same Christians vocabulary Christians use .

see ?
it is the same society .

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^I am not classifying Egyptians as Egyptians/Aboriginals.

Egyptians are Egyptians even they were Syrians but got the Egyptian citizenship,simple as that .

ok, that makes no sense.

quote:
I do not look at the factor as a minor part ,but the relationship between Muslims and Christians in Egypt is not religious ,it is Egyptian-Egyptian relationship.
Could you explain what you mean by minor please

quote:
You see ,in Egypt we -Muslims and Christians-have the same habits even in marriage .

Christians in Egypt say

"Allah Akbar " and "Besm Allah " "Alhamdu lelah "

it is the same Islamic vocabulary Muslims use .

Muslims in Egypt say

"Al-Hares Allah " "Besm Al-nabi "

which is the same Christians vocabulary Christians use .

see ?
it is the same society .

Nothing to do with those being in ARABIC which is what Egyptians speak whatever religion they are?

You are actually digging the hole for the wall. [Wink]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

A minority in my thinking is not about the number of people belonging to it ,but rather their situation in the society they are living in .

If some people are isolated in a certain society ,and they do not feel like they are part of that particular society and other people in the society do not welcome them then they are minority

this is my definition which is not about the number at all .you see it is rather a political definition .

So Christians in Egypt are not minority ,they are not isolated ,do not feel so , Muslims do welcome them .

Then which word do you use to describe fewer in number?
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then which word do you use to describe fewer in number?
Less [Big Grin]
anthropos
Member # 9410

quote:
quote:
quote:

Rahala, are you Christian? Have you lived as a CHristian in Egypt? Have you been part of the Christian society in Egypt? UNtil you have don't presume to know what it is to be CHristian in Egypt. Basta.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com