Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Ramadan Food (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ramadan Food
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT, I think it looks simple, thanks MW, it's a good starting point. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome [Smile] I think I'm gonna try that recipe out myself.

Please everyone, keep the recipes and ideas coming. I'm running out of ideas over here!

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MW - I made this several times last year. It keeps well, is easy to heat up, and above all, it tastes almsot exactly like something my husband's sister makes during Ramadan (always a bonus!). I made a huge batch this morning, which will hopefully see us through a few days [Smile]

Feteer Bel Asaag (pastry with ground meat) (My husband calls it rua'a or something similar [Confused] )

1 large onion(s) chopped.
1 lbs super lean ground beef.
2 tblsp. olive oil.
1/2 cup(s) water.
salt and pepper
1 cup(s) chopped nuts (optional)
1 stick(s) of butter.
1/2 egg(s)
1 cup(s) of milk (or skim milk)
1 package(s) of frozen Fillo dough sheets (thawed overnight)

Method
Saute the onion in the oil until it changes color to dark yellow.

Add the meat and brown it then add the water, salt and pepper and let it cook until all the water has evaporated. If you decide to use nuts add them at this time. This is called asaag and it is used in makaronah felforn bilbashamel (pasta casserole).

Open the Fillo dough package and divide the sheets in half (they are usually sheets of 10X20" rectangles, you want to end up with 2 stacks of 10X10 sheets.

In a greased 9x12x3" baking dish layer 2 to 3 sheets at a time and sprinkle them with a few drops of the melted butter, and so on until you finish the first half of the sheets.

Spread the meat and nut mixture on it and start doing the same thing with the other half of the sheets. Don't worry about spreading the butter on the sheets.

When you finish with all the dough cut the feteer in 2X1" squares with a sharp knife.

Mix together the left-over melted butter, the egg and the milk and a pinch of salt (not much) beat it with fork.

At this point, if you want, you can wrap the dish in plastic wrap and refrigerate until 1/2 hr before it is time to eat.

Pour the egg mixture gently over the feteer and bake, uncovered, in a 375 deg oven for about 20 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and the feteer turns gold yellow.

When I make this, it lasts for a week and can be used for suhoor by those people who wake up hating to fix something or finding nothing to their liking to eat.

Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, GOI! Your recipe sounds great. [Smile] I love the addition of the nuts. Your idea to make it and have it on hand for suhoor is great! I always appreciate new ideas. [Smile]

The version you posted is called goolash because of the phyllo involved. Ru'a is made the same way only with large cracker-like wafers dipped in broth instead of the phyllo. My MIL makes it sooo good! I've actually dreamt of her making it for me. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by get_over_it:
Hi MW - I made this several times last year. It keeps well, is easy to heat up, and above all, it tastes almsot exactly like something my husband's sister makes during Ramadan (always a bonus!). I made a huge batch this morning, which will hopefully see us through a few days [Smile]

Feteer Bel Asaag (pastry with ground meat) (My husband calls it rua'a or something similar [Confused] )

1 large onion(s) chopped.
1 lbs super lean ground beef.
2 tblsp. olive oil.
1/2 cup(s) water.
salt and pepper
1 cup(s) chopped nuts (optional)
1 stick(s) of butter.
1/2 egg(s)
1 cup(s) of milk (or skim milk)
1 package(s) of frozen Fillo dough sheets (thawed overnight)

Method
Saute the onion in the oil until it changes color to dark yellow.

Add the meat and brown it then add the water, salt and pepper and let it cook until all the water has evaporated. If you decide to use nuts add them at this time. This is called asaag and it is used in makaronah felforn bilbashamel (pasta casserole).

Open the Fillo dough package and divide the sheets in half (they are usually sheets of 10X20" rectangles, you want to end up with 2 stacks of 10X10 sheets.

In a greased 9x12x3" baking dish layer 2 to 3 sheets at a time and sprinkle them with a few drops of the melted butter, and so on until you finish the first half of the sheets.

Spread the meat and nut mixture on it and start doing the same thing with the other half of the sheets. Don't worry about spreading the butter on the sheets.

When you finish with all the dough cut the feteer in 2X1" squares with a sharp knife.

Mix together the left-over melted butter, the egg and the milk and a pinch of salt (not much) beat it with fork.

At this point, if you want, you can wrap the dish in plastic wrap and refrigerate until 1/2 hr before it is time to eat.

Pour the egg mixture gently over the feteer and bake, uncovered, in a 375 deg oven for about 20 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and the feteer turns gold yellow.

When I make this, it lasts for a week and can be used for suhoor by those people who wake up hating to fix something or finding nothing to their liking to eat.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get_over_it
Member # 11286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for get_over_it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
Thanks, GOI! Your recipe sounds great. [Smile] I love the addition of the nuts. Your idea to make it and have it on hand for suhoor is great! I always appreciate new ideas. [Smile]

The version you posted is called goolash because of the phyllo involved. Ru'a is made the same way only with large cracker-like wafers dipped in broth instead of the phyllo. My MIL makes it sooo good! I've actually dreamt of her making it for me. [Smile]

Ah, thanks for clearing that mystery up! I'm all in favour of variations on the same theme (not really up to having my hormone-filled brain stretched too far at the moment [Wink] ), so I could also try out the wafer version and the pasta version this month too... hopefully he'll be far too hungry to notice?! [Big Grin]
Posts: 463 | From: Other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

For Smucks (and any one else who is interested)....

Here's a very traditional recipe for mansaf (given to me by a Jordanian woman)

Mansaf

(This recipe is for 4 people, traditionally we make this in very large amounts serving 10 or more people since they all eat with their hands from the same tray.)

Jameed (2-3 good size pieces)
2 cups white rice (rinsed/drained), we use jasmine rice, but the egyptian rice is much better for this if you can find it.
4-5 lbs of lamb. I find that Shoulder and shanks work the best, it must be bone in and halal to get the best taste.
Samneh (arabic clarified butter) or Hawajet Samneh (this is the spice they put in clarified butter that gives it its unique taste)
Pinenuts and raw sliced or whole almonds
Pita bread
White onion
Green onion
Radish
Cilanto

1. Soak the jameed in room temperature water for 4-5 hours.

2. After jameed is ready, wash the lamb well and place in your largest stock pot. Cover with water. Add one large peeled white onion with the end intact into the water and 1 bayleaf. Boil until meat is tender. Remove meat from the water and discard the water, onions, and bayleaf. Rinse each piece of meat well under running hot water. Set aside.

3. While the meat is cooking, start making the jameed. There are 2 ways to do this. The traditional way and the lazy way. The lazy way (which is my favorite way) require alot more jameed so if you have jammed to spare you can follow this method but you would need to double the amount of jameed you are using in the recipe. The traditional way is to work the pieces of jameed in your hands in the water until you get a thick frothy liquid. This can take about 10 minutes each time and you will need to repeat this step about 4-5 times to get enough liquid for the meat. Each time you repeat the step you will have to soak the jameed pieces in water for 5-10 minutes befor working the pieces again. Everytime you have a batch of liquid ready you will need to pour into a clean stockpot through a fine sieve.

The lazy way is to put the jameed in a blender, cover with water and set it on the highest settng you have. Pour through a sieve into the pot. Add the jameed pieces back into the blender, cover with water and blend again. Do this until all the jameed is liquified.

Once all your jameed is ready, and in the stock pot (its now called Laban) you can turn on the stove top to medium heat. Once you feel that laban has started to warm up (not boil) you can start to add the meat back in. Bring the laban and meat to a boil once and then turn it off. At this point, you can add some samneh (1-2 tbs) or 1/2 tbs hawajet samneh (I like this way better) Do not boil more than once, the laban causes the meat to fall apart if left on the stove too long. You can make this hours ahead of serving and just reheat once you are ready to eat.

4. If your jameed is too salty, you can some water. If you feel it is lacking flavor or not thick enough you will need to add more jameed or you can also add some fresh lebeneh. This step is probebly the hardest, but if you know what good laban tastes like, it should be no problem.

5. Make your rice. Its better if you lightly fry the rice in samneh and add salt to it before adding the water.

6. Brown the pinenuts and almonds in oil, set aside.

7. 2 ways to serve this. The traditional way or dinner table way. If this is for a small crowd, you can serve it on the dinner table. Just spoon the rice into a serving dish, sprinkle it with the nuts. Serve the laban and meat in a another serving dish. The side garnish is, pita bread, white onion (quartered), green onion, radishes, and cilantro.

Traditional way. You need a very large round serving dish. Seperate the pita bread and line the bottom of the serving dish with it. Spoon some of the laban over the bread. Spoon the rice on top, make sure the rice is fluffed and seperated and in a nice large mound. Arrange the meat on top of the rice. Sprinkle with nuts. People will spoon the laban on to the side they are eating from. Serve it with same garnish, except the bread which is now under the rice.

Enjoy!

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
white chocolate and lime cheesecake bars

my notes To make curls, soften a chocolate bar briefly in the microwave and run a vegetable peeler along one long side.

Servings: Makes 9 servings

ingredients7 ounces high-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt), chopped, plus white chocolate curls (optional garnish)
27 chocolate sandwich cookies (about 11 ounces)

1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
Lime slices or lime twists (for garnish) preparationLine 8x8x2-inch square baking pan with foil, extending over all sides. Stir chopped white chocolate in small metal bowl set over saucepan of barely simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove bowl from over water. Finely grind cookies in processor. Add 2 tablespoons melted white chocolate and blend until mixture clumps together. Firmly press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Chill while making filling.

Beat whipping cream in medium bowl until peaks form. Beat cream cheese, sugar, lime juice, and lime peel in large bowl until smooth. Beat in remaining melted white chocolate. Fold in whipped cream in 2 additions; spread over prepared crust. Chill until filling is slightly firm, at least 2 hours. Using foil as aid, lift cheesecake out of pan. Cut into 9 bars. Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired, and lime slices or twists.
Makes 9 servings

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MW for the other recipe, although I must admit the first one looked easier ((blushing)).
Get Over It, I love your recipe, I have everything needed for it, I might make it for Suhoor tomorrow. [Smile] Thanks for these great recipes.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice recipe MW, it is similar to one I have although the instruction in yours is actually better detailed …thanks

Oh Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind, hey Mickey...

Hey Mickey [Big Grin]

Okay I am getting silly here. I do have a question for you. Do you remember the sponge cake [Smile] , I want to use the tefal non-stick pan (the bigger one), now could I simply double up the ingredients and simply have a bigger cake. I plan to 2x every ingredient. Is this the right way to go about it? Doable or Nay?

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for sure you can. awesome [Big Grin] and i want to see the pictures of this big cake. just watch it doesn't run over in the oven. fill your pan up 3/4 of the way NO MORE
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrs_nasser419
Member # 14985

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs_nasser419     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need help, my husband wants me to make aseed, he describes it as a volcano with maraq soup in the middle and around it, and you eat it with hilbeh and sme spicy red stuff. i know you make the volcano part with water and jiffy mix and stir it to what you want, but how do i make the maraq? and hilbeh?
Posts: 7 | From: Toledo | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrs_nasser419
Member # 14985

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs_nasser419     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and how do you make the yemeni onion powder? and if i cant make it, what kind of browning agent can i use for the substitute?
Posts: 7 | From: Toledo | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leila Moubayed
Member # 16980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leila Moubayed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look at this Egyptian Food Recipes
I found a great Egyptian Hibiscus Tea Recipe here it is: Egyptian Hibiscus Tea Recipe

Hope you like enjoy!

Posts: 1 | From: Paris | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com