Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Ramadan Food (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ramadan Food
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insha Allah we will have a great Ramadhan. I have learned several dishes over the past few years and i would like to share some of them when Ramadhan is here. Arab Ramadhan Dishes from Morocco, the Sham, Saudia Arabia, Yemen and Iraq, etc. I am sure the Egyptians here will include their dishes if they so wish.

I hope you guys will also share. I personally appreciate pics because i want to see what i am trying to achieve.

I look forward to it. [Smile]

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for sabaya (Yemeni) would you?
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:

Sheeeeeeeeeeshhhhhh that's a difficult one MW, it involves dough and a lot of layers in between them.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know! That's why I had always appreciated it when someone would make it for me. I found a recipe once and tried to make it but it turned out like crap. I'm looking for a recipe that someone has actually made and can tell me exactly how to make it. Also, you know those little biscuit type things that are hard with nigella seeds on top? I want to know how to make those, too. I don't know what they're called but they're really good with tea esp. during Ramadan.

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

Sheeeeeeeeeeshhhhhh that's a difficult one MW, it involves dough and a lot of layers in between them.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
I know! That's why I had always appreciated it when someone would make it for me. I found a recipe once and tried to make it but it turned out like crap. I'm looking for a recipe that someone has actually made and can tell me exactly how to make it. Also, you know those little biscuit type things that are hard with nigella seeds on top? I want to know how to make those, too. I don't know what they're called but they're really good with tea esp. during Ramadan.

quote:
quote:

MW how about thinking about joining Fanny Craddocks cooking club [Smile]

I'll get you the sabaya recipe, and i will inquire about the biscuits you are talking about although quite honestly i don't know their relevance with ramadan. The meals i have learned from Yemenis during ramadan are:

Shourba (using bulgur)
bamia (similar to ta3miyeh)
Samboosa (using meat) (using almonds & honey)
Maraq cooked with either chicken/lamb
mahalabiyeh
maqablabah
maatafah

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Morroccan food is next:

Harrirah
Couscous with veggies
Actually the Almond & Honey Samboosa is Moroccan [Smile]
Paella (I know it's Spanish but Moroccans from tangier eat it as well)
Olive Chicken

marydotapple
Member # 13361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydotapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MWI have found this nice website for you to look at..it has many dishes and simple dishes to make...Tabula is my favoite side dish easy to prepare and make..its so nice with rice and beans..omg my mouth is melting..

Just one tip.. the bulgair seed just put some in a cup and cover with lemon juice and add little water and leave until lemon juice and water vapouates..

recipes for MW.. Recipes [Big Grin] [Wink]

If what your looking for is not on here I try and do a search later for you.

Posts: 212 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by marydotapple:
MWI have found this nice website for you to look at..it has many dishes and simple dishes to make...Tabula is my favoite side dish easy to prepare and make..its so nice with rice and beans..omg my mouth is melting..

Just one tip.. the bulgair seed just put some in a cup and cover with lemon juice and add little water and leave until lemon juice and water vapouates..

tubula i believe is a women's best friend as it has so much iron , well this is what my wife tells me.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Don't forget the aseed with maraq, helba and sahowiq extra spicy(spelling how it sounds to me). [Smile]

The biscuits only have relevance to Ramadan to me I guess. My ex would bring them home (his friends wives would make them) and we'd have them with dates and tea for iftar.

Thank you for looking into getting the recipe for me. [Smile] My son will be happy happy.

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

I'll get you the sabaya recipe, and i will inquire about the biscuits you are talking about although quite honestly i don't know their relevance with ramadan. The meals i have learned from Yemenis during ramadan are:

Shourba (using bulgur)
mahalabiyeh
maqablabah
maatafah

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Thanks, Mary! Everything on that site looks great. [Smile] Well except for the raw kibbeh...eek! They have it at the Lebanese restaurants here but I can't get myself to try it.

quote:
Originally posted by marydotapple:

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Don't forget the aseed with maraq, helba and sahowiq extra spicy(spelling how it sounds to me). [Smile]

The biscuits only have relevance to Ramadan to me I guess. My ex would bring them home (his friends wives would make them) and we'd have them with dates and tea for iftar.

Thank you for looking into getting the recipe for me. [Smile] My son will be happy happy.

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

Shourba (using bulgur)
mahalabiyeh
maqablabah
maatafah

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

YOU BEEN TO YEMEN!

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to go there. Yes 3aseeed, helba and don’t forget SALTA.

And

QAT [Big Grin]

I chewed it with the original Arabs.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

LOL well never actually been to Yemen but we would cook very traditional Yemeni meals most of the week. My sons have been there three times (they're there now). I still make maraq, selta, helba, sahowiq, etc. I even eat the aseed with my fingers like a true Yemeni. [Smile] It tastes better that way.

Hahaha...qat! I've never chewed it myself but my ex did once in awhile here and pretty much daily while visiting Yemen.

Ppl knock Yemenis but I have many fond memories involving Yemenis and their traditions.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
LOL well never actually been to Yemen but we would cook very traditional Yemeni meals most of the week. My sons have been there three times (they're there now). I still make maraq, selta, helba, sahowiq, etc. I even eat the aseed with my fingers like a true Yemeni. [Smile] It tastes better that way.

Hahaha...qat! I've never chewed it myself but my ex did once in awhile here and pretty much daily while visiting Yemen.

Ppl knock Yemenis but I have many fond memories involving Yemenis and their traditions.

Yemenis shouldn’t be knocked because they are legendary from Andulusa to India to Bangladesh. The Hatharim (people of Hadramut) brought Islam to South East Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia). There are also a few ahadith by Prophet Muhammed (saw) that pertained to them and their faith.

I think the ones that knock them are the more progressive arabs in America.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Hi MW

It was a pleasure last night corresponding with you in this thread and for Ramadan I commit to making and providing recipes for:

Yemeni Shourba
“ “ Samboosa
" “ Maraq

What will MW (our Yemen expert) offer us this Ramadan? [Smile]

All we need now is someone just as enthusiastic as you for Moroccan Ramadan food.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny that you guys are mentioning Yemen since I was just checking out these sites this morning:

www.arabicinyemen.com/

www.ylcint.com/

www.sialyemen.com/

www.y.net.ye/cales/

I'd love to go there for a few weeks and study Arabic. Does anybody know if it's possible to get reasonably priced flights from Cairo?

Btw, I've been in Morocco during Ramadan but didn't find the food very exciting. [Frown]

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Zapel
Member # 14076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam Zapel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make this one myself it has no name

maybe you can think of a name to give to my recipe.

Take
1cup seeded black dates
1cup sultanas
1cup walnuts
1cup peanuts
1cup raisins
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
juice and zest of one orange
juice and zest of one lime

Blend it all together in a blender and spoon small balls onto a baking sheet and press into the top an almond.
Put in fridge for a few hours and serve with tea or coffee

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Zapel
Member # 14076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam Zapel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicken a la Juwan [Smile]

take big casserole dish and put in 1/4 cup olive oil and 2kg skinless chicken legs and roast till almost cooked.
The to the dish then add 2 cups basmati rice, 3 crushed cloves garlic, tablespoon cinnamon powder, 2 cloves, 3 cardamom pods crushed, juice and zest of a lime, can of corn, a few whole chillis.
Stir around with chicken and then add 3 cups boiling water and cover with tin foil for 25 mins at 220 degrees in oven.
Take from oven and leave on tin foil till ready to serve to maintain moisture and steam.

Boil 6 eggs and shell and slice in a bowl.
Add finely chopped small red onion, a tablespoon feta cheese, tablespoon olive oil, teaspoon tahina and stir.

Make a leafy salad and spread egg mixture on top and eat with the chicken rice.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

[Smile]

Well this Ramadan will be filled with Egyptian traditions but not sure what that will be yet and how we'll do it here in the US. That reminds me that I should probably discuss plans with my husband since Ramadan is only two weeks away...yikes!

I think I'll still do the sambousas (who doesn't like a sambousa?) and the maraq and selta (with helba). Luckily my husband has grown to like these things. Except he likes his selta minus the helba. Helba is only for drinking in his opinion. I'm not a fan of shorba (with burghul) or shufuut (pita, buttermilk, chopped tomatoes and chopped cucumber) so we'll skip those.

quote:
Hi MW

It was a pleasure last night corresponding with you in this thread and for Ramadan I commit to making and providing recipes for:

Yemeni Shourba
“ “ Samboosa
" “ Maraq

All we need now is someone just as enthusiastic as you for Moroccan Ramadan food.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
[Smile]

Well this Ramadan will be filled with Egyptian traditions but not sure what that will be yet and how we'll do it here in the US. That reminds me that I should probably discuss plans with my husband since Ramadan is only two weeks away...yikes!

I think I'll still do the sambousas (who doesn't like a sambousa?) and the maraq and selta (with helba). Luckily my husband has grown to like these things. Except he likes his selta minus the helba. Helba is only for drinking in his opinion. I'm not a fan of shorba (with burghul) or shufuut (pita, buttermilk, chopped tomatoes and chopped cucumber) so we'll skip those.

quote:
Hi MW

Yemeni Shourba
“ “ Samboosa
" “ Maraq

Great as I’m looking forward to your Samboosa and Salta recipes. Yes time is getting close to Ramadan and we completed our plans yesterday, at least for the days of Ramadan that fall in September. It’s easier that way because we simply incorporated the Ramadan days with the other days in September, fulfilling our Sept Food Budget.

I’ll definitely cook a few Ramadan days during Sept and i have planned:

a.) Morroccan Day which will consist of:

Harrira
Crushed Almond and Honey Samboosa
Maybe couscous (not sure)

b.)Yemen Day which will consist of:

Shourba
Samboosa
Lamb Maraq

c.) Jordanian Day which will consist of:

Mansaf
Appropriate rice for Mansaf which includes almonds.
And something else – still undecided

I also want to add a few more Arab ethnic food days for Ramadan but for the Ramadan days that fall on October, maybe even a Persian dish.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moroccan Couscous Recipe
Ingredients
1 cup orange or other juice
1 cup instant couscous
1/4 cup pitted dates, finely chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 tsp cinnamon

Instructions
Bring juice and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small pot. Remove from heat.

Stir in couscous and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a separate pan, saute dates, raisins, almonds and cinnamon in 1/2 cup water for 2 minutes. Add cooked couscous. Mix well and serve warm.
Yield: 4 servings

sob, i tried this recipe and it was delicious [Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
Moroccan Couscous Recipe
Ingredients
1 cup orange or other juice
1 cup instant couscous
1/4 cup pitted dates, finely chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 tsp cinnamon

Instructions
Bring juice and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small pot. Remove from heat.

Stir in couscous and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a separate pan, saute dates, raisins, almonds and cinnamon in 1/2 cup water for 2 minutes. Add cooked couscous. Mix well and serve warm.
Yield: 4 servings

sob, i tried this recipe and it was delicious [Razz] [Razz]

Oh MY! That's probably a super-duper couscous recipe [Big Grin]

because mines i so simple [Big Grin] and where are the veggies ?

I cook mine like this i boil the couscous and in a separate pot and spice it.

i make fresh broth in another pot using chunks of bone (beef/lamb) and add carrots, cabbage, 1 onion, and other veggies

after the coucous is done i add a little butter to it and mix it well, then i add the veggies that are simmering in the broth on top of the coucous and eat [Big Grin]

I might try yours [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND I AM GOING TO TRY YOURS sounds great and very easy thanks sob [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Maraq

1-2lbs lamb meat or a whole chicken cut into pieces, skin removed
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt and black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon (or more if you like) cumin
2 teaspoons Yemeni onion powder (it's more of a browning agent than flavor, you can't find it in any stores so if I run out I use a browning liquid)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
small amount of flour and water combined (to thicken a bit at the end)

In a small amount of oil (about 2 tablespoons) sautee onions and garlic until translucent. Add lamb or chicken and spices. Stir to coat and let saute until the meat is browned. Add tomato paste and stir. Add enough water to make broth, about 4-6 cups. Cover and let simmer. Stir every once in awhile until cooked and add water if needed. The chicken will be ready in about 45 mins. The lamb will take a bit longer so about 1-1.5 hrs. Once the meat or chicken is cooked add the flour and water mixture to the boiling broth. Add just enough to thicken slightly not enough to make a gravy. This will help the helba to adhere to the maraq when making selta. You can omit the flour step if you want a thin, watery broth.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
AND I AM GOING TO TRY YOURS sounds great and very easy thanks sob [Smile]

I think I better make it more proper(the recipe) if you want to try it. [Smile]

Cooking Vegetables:

-Make Fresh broth using big bones with marrow in them
-Add Carrots (essential), Squash(essential), Cabbage(essential) and 1 onion (begin with the hardest veggie first)
-Season broth with Salt, Pepper and Saffron (u could additional spices that you like)
Take out the residue that builds up on top from the boiling.

Making Couscous:

Simply make it plain and simple, follow instructions on the box(use salt of course). When it is done add some butter to it and finally spread the veggies on top of the couscous. Enjoy [Smile]

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Salta

Salta wouldn't be salta without helba so we'll start with that.

Helba

warm (not hot) water (enough to fill a medium sized bowl)
1 tablespoon helba powder (get good quality helba powder for best results)

Sprinkle helba into the bowl of water. DO NOT stir. Let sit for as long as you can, preferrably 2-3 hours. The longer it sits, the better. Try not to move the bowl while it's resting. After the 2-3 hrs is up, pour out water and rinse helba with fresh cold water. Mix with a hand mixer on high until helba is light and fluffy. Add salt and a bit of lemon juice. Continue mixing for a few more minutes.

Salta

maraq
a bit of the lamb of chicken from the maraq
a small potato cooked
1/4 cup green pepper diced finely
1 jalapeno diced finely (can be omitted if you don't like spicy)
1 egg (can be omitted, I don't like the egg in mine)

For best results use a madarah (stone heatproof bowl) but you can also use a small saucepot. Heat madarah for about 5 minutes on low flame. Add a couple tablespoons full of the maraq and let cook into the madarah. At this time if you want the egg in it, add it. Scramble egg into madarah. Add a few bits of the lamb or chicken meat. Add green pepper and jalapeno. Then add about 1.5 cups (or more) of the maraq. Cook for a few minutes until green peppers are soft. Turn off heat and add a few spoons full of the helba on top. Serve in madarah and eat with warm pita. I also add a little sahowiq at the end.

Sahowiq

1 medium firm tomato
1 clove of garlic
1 jalapeno (you can remove the vein and seeds if you don't want it too spicy)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
salt to taste

combine all ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Blend until smooth yet slightly chunky.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Sambousa

Package of egg roll wrappers
1 lb lean ground beef or lamb
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp (or more) cumin
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Brown meat with onion, drain, add spices and almonds, cook for a few minutes. Let meat mixture cool. Put a small amount of meat mixture in egg roll wrapper then fold to make a triangle shape. Seal the end with a little water. Fry triangles in oil until browned on each side. Place cooked sambousa either on paper towels or baking racks to drain off excess oil.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Salta

Helba

Sprinkle helba into the bowl of water. DO NOT stir. Let sit for as long as you can, preferrably 2-3 hours. The longer it sits, the better. Try not to move the bowl while it's resting. After the 2-3 hrs is up, pour out water and rinse helba with fresh cold water. Mix with a hand mixer on high until helba is light and fluffy. Add salt and a bit of lemon juice. Continue mixing for a few more minutes.

Salta

maraq
a small potato cooked

For best results use a madarah (stone heatproof bowl) but you can also use a small saucepot. Heat madarah for about 5 minutes on low flame. Add a couple tablespoons full of the maraq and let cook into the madarah. At this time if you want the egg in it, add it. Scramble egg into madarah. Add a few bits of the lamb or chicken meat. Add green pepper and jalapeno. Then add about 1.5 cups (or more) of the maraq. Cook for a few minutes until green peppers are soft. Turn off heat and add a few spoons full of the helba on top. Serve in madarah and eat with warm pita. I also add a little sahowiq at the end.

Sahowiq

1 medium firm tomato
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
salt to taste

combine all ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Blend until smooth yet slightly chunky.

[Smile]

MW I know can get Helba seeds here so if I can ask for them to be ground into powder, would this suffice. I mean how fine must they be?

You know the Sanaa-nese vary with their Salta, they cook it using leek. The madarah is basically a clay pot, right? I know they served it in that. Sahowiq [Smile] man oh man, it’s tastes great with everything even with rice and especially with maraq.

doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks, Mary! Everything on that site looks great. [Smile] Well except for the raw kibbeh...eek! They have it at the Lebanese restaurants here but I can't get myself to try it.

I love raw kibbeh!!! I used to eat it as a kid whenever we'd go to our Lebanese restaurant but they have been closed down for like 20 years now. I didn't think they served it anymore since you can't even get a rare hamburg anywhere. Maybe the laws are different depending on the state you live in.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I think the seeds can be ground into a fine powder. I always buy it (or it's given to me) in a powder form. I've had crappy helba that never gets light and fluffy. It tastes kinda bitter, too.

Yes, the madarah is a clay pot although I used to have one that was like stone. It was so heavy and hard. Salta is cooked and served in it. Cooking it and serving it in a saucepot is no comparison. The madarah gives it some of it's flavor IMO. Especially when you brown some of the maraq in it at the beginning. Also, the madarah holds in the heat so the salta is hot to the very end. Part of the enjoyment of eating salta is burning your fingers slightly when eating it. Weird but I like it.

I've had salta several different ways. I've even had it with ground meat added. Also, I've had it where rice was subsituted for the potato. It's all good! Each family seems to have their own variation. I usually serve radishes and green onions with salta and aseed. You may want to take some anti gas medication prior and have some breath mints for afterwards.

I love sahowiq! I eat it on everything...rice, boiled potatoes, fish, chicken... It's awesome! Sometimes I omit the garlic to avoid bad breath.

quote:
quote:
Salta

Helba

Salta

maraq
a small potato cooked

Sahowiq

1 medium firm tomato
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
salt to taste

[Smile]

MW I know can get Helba seeds here so if I can ask for them to be ground into powder, would this suffice. I mean how fine must they be?

You know the Sanaa-nese vary with their Salta, they cook it using leek. The madarah is basically a clay pot, right? I know they served it in that. Sahowiq [Smile] man oh man, it’s tastes great with everything even with rice and especially with maraq.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
I think the seeds can be ground into a fine powder. I always buy it (or it's given to me) in a powder form. I've had crappy helba that never gets light and fluffy. It tastes kinda bitter, too.

Yes, the madarah is a clay pot although I used to have one that was like stone. It was so heavy and hard. Salta is cooked and served in it. Cooking it and serving it in a saucepot is no comparison. The madarah gives it some of it's flavor IMO. Especially when you brown some of the maraq in it at the beginning. Also, the madarah holds in the heat so the salta is hot to the very end. Part of the enjoyment of eating salta is burning your fingers slightly when eating it. Weird but I like it.

I've had salta several different ways. I've even had it with ground meat added. Also, I've had it where rice was subsituted for the potato. It's all good! Each family seems to have their own variation. I usually serve radishes and green onions with salta and aseed. You may want to take some anti gas medication prior and have some breath mints for afterwards.

I love sahowiq! I eat it on everything...rice, boiled potatoes, fish, chicken... It's awesome! Sometimes I omit the garlic to avoid bad breath.

quote:
quote:
Salta

Helba

Salta

maraq
a small potato cooked

Sahowiq

1 medium firm tomato
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
salt to taste

[Smile]

Thanks to you MW, I will also attempt to make helba. [Smile]

Expect some pics this Ramadan [Big Grin]

I am so excited to cook such meals, so excited in fact that i am going to spend like $20 bucks on plates, dishes and bowls [Big Grin]

I'm serious. Such meals need a little respect. The Yemenis would always tell me 'you must respect the Qat in order to 'kayif' right [Big Grin]

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Bump

Ramadan is less than a week away...uh oh!

I'm currently searching for an authentic recipe for kahk. I would prefer a recipe that has been tried and true. My MIL gave my husband directions but the measurements are kinda weird and as you all know baking is more of a science than cooking so a "pinch of this" or "a spoonful of that" won't work in baking.

TIA for any responses [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Kahk

Authentic Egyptian cookies

4 servings 1¼ hours 1 hour prep

2 cups unsalted butter (samn balady)
1 cup whole milk
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
powdered sugar

Heat the samn balady until almost boiling.
In seperate bowl, add the baking powder and the spices to the flour.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the hot samn balady and stir thoroughly.
When the mixture cools (warm to touch), add the instant yeast to the milk with a teaspoon of sugar, then stir gently into the dough.
Knead it for a short while, cover and let it rest for an hour.
Shape dough into balls, then flatten them.
Inserts nuts, honey, sugar, agwa (date spread), or other filling when you are making it into balls.
Put them on a cookie tray and let them rest.
Bake in preheated oven (345 F) until golden.
Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar just before eating.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Thanks, Micky! Those sound great. [Smile] I can't wait to try them.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
-AND YOU ARE WELCOME MW-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sufra Dayma:
Kahk
By Moushira Abdel-Malek
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

6 cups all purpose flour + a dash of salt
2 1/4 cups ghee + corn oil
1 1/2 tsp. granulated yeast or active yeast (walnut size)
2 tsp. warm water + half tsp. sugar (mix and stir to dissolve - keep warm)
Icing sugar for topping
Filling ingredients (Agameya)
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. ghee
1 cup honey
4 tbsp. crushed walnuts

Melt ghee over low heat and add flour. Stir only until slightly changing colour. Remove from heat. Add honey while stirring vigorously. Return on medium heat stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and add nuts. When cooled off shape into very small balls (hazelnut size).

Method:

Bring ghee and oil mixture to the boil. In a mixing bowl put the flour and salt (sifted). Make a hole and pour boiling ghee and oil. Stir to mix by hand and then by electric blender at very low speed. After thoroughly mixed for three minutes add the yeast mixture. Remove from blender and knead by hand for 10 minutes. Form into medium balls (egg size). Make a hole in each ball by thumb and insert filling. Close after filling and pat gently to round. By means of a fork make holes on top. Place on a baking tray with enough space between each cookie. Allow to rest for half an hour. Preheat oven at 190 C and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool off completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar.

I DONT KNOW WHICH ONE YOU WANTED MW BUT I HOPE THIS HELPS [Wink]

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Thanks again, Micky! [Smile] I'll print both out and show my husband. I'll let him decide which one he'd rather eat. [Smile] They both sound delicious!
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is ghee?
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Ghee aka semnah is clarified butter. Butter that is melted and the milk solids are removed. Ghee or semnah can also be made with vegetable shortening kinda like margarine.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Ghee is made by simmering unsalted butter in a large pot until all water has boiled off and protein has settled to the bottom. The clarified butter is then spooned off to avoid disturbing the milk solids on the bottom of the pan. Unlike butter, ghee can be stored for extended periods without refrigeration, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation and remains moisture
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Bump

Ramadan is less than a week away...uh oh!

I'm currently searching for an authentic recipe for kahk. I would prefer a recipe that has been tried and true. My MIL gave my husband directions but the measurements are kinda weird and as you all know baking is more of a science than cooking so a "pinch of this" or "a spoonful of that" won't work in baking.

TIA for any responses [Smile]

Hey MW, forgive me for taking forever with the sabaya recipe. Yeah Ramadan is less than a week away. I managed to get several things that I’ll need for the initial days of Ramadan, these included:

-powdered helba [Smile]
-lamb for Maraq (I cut the bigger chunks into cubes and stored them to use with the Shourba and Harrira)
-Tunisian dates (I tasted 1 and it was delicious, I love the soft ones)
- mince beef for Sambusa and pasta dishes (lasagna)
-Sambusa dough
-Tons of juice
-couscous
-London dairy Ice Cream [Big Grin] Praline & cream + chocolate chip

I even looked at some plates and bowls today but I wasn’t impressed with any of them and I spent a whole 30 minutes deciding between Malaysian made and French made but none did it for me.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great recipes, I'm printing some of these out. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Sambusa ready for freezing. I made many of these today because it is more convenient to make them beforehand. Just before iftar if they are on the menu, i'll take out a few and either fry them or bake them in the oven (healthy option).

Inside is a cooked mixture of:

minced beef and minced lamb
minced garlic
minced onion
fresh coriander
cumin, curry, salt, pepper

tiny bits of boiled potatoes (cooked separately from above mixture)

-

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Hey that's a great idea! I never premade sambousa before but I think I will this year. They look great, Sobriquet [Smile]

Husband and I are going food shopping this evening to prepare. We have to get out to Dearborn sometime this week to get the Mid Eastern groceries. Maybe Wednesday evening we'll do that.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Hey that's a great idea! I never premade sambousa before but I think I will this year. They look great, Sobriquet [Smile]

Husband and I are going food shopping this evening to prepare. We have to get out to Dearborn sometime this week to get the Mid Eastern groceries. Maybe Wednesday evening we'll do that.

Have fun shopping in Dearborn [Smile]

I fried a couple and this how they look like after doing so. They taste absolutely delicious [Big Grin]

The potatoes give them great moisture.

-

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Yum! They look delicious [Smile] I'll give the potatoes a try.

Not middle eastern but also tasty is taking the same wrappers and filling them with cream cheese, green onion and crab meat then frying. You can always omit the crab meat and just do the cheese and onion.

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Yum! They look delicious [Smile] I'll give the potatoes a try.

Not middle eastern but also tasty is taking the same wrappers and filling them with cream cheese, green onion and crab meat then frying. You can always omit the crab meat and just do the cheese and onion.

That sounds absolutely delcious and I'll give it a try with the crab meat as i love seafood. I wish i was that creative [Smile]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
[Smile]

quote:
Hi MW

Yemeni Shourba
“ “ Samboosa
" “ Maraq

Great as I’m looking forward to your Samboosa and Salta recipes. Yes time is getting close to Ramadan and we completed our plans yesterday, at least for the days of Ramadan that fall in September. It’s easier that way because we simply incorporated the Ramadan days with the other days in September, fulfilling our Sept Food Budget.

I’ll definitely cook a few Ramadan days during Sept and i have planned:

a.) Morroccan Day which will consist of:

Harrira
Crushed Almond and Honey Samboosa
Maybe couscous (not sure)

b.)Yemen Day which will consist of:

Shourba
Samboosa
Lamb Maraq

c.) Jordanian Day which will consist of:

Mansaf
Appropriate rice for Mansaf which includes almonds.
And something else – still undecided

I also want to add a few more Arab ethnic food days for Ramadan but for the Ramadan days that fall on October, maybe even a Persian dish.

Is there a way to cook Mansaf in Egypt? Can the ingredients be found here? I had it once in the states and it was REALLY good, would love to try it here. Have a recipe for this by chance? [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Is there a way to cook Mansaf in Egypt? Can the ingredients be found here? I had it once in the states and it was REALLY good, would love to try it here. Have a recipe for this by chance? [Smile]

One of the most important ingredients to make mansaf is Jameed and this is basically a dried yogurt that literally looks like white rocks. Each round rock weighs about 250grams and this rock(s) is placed in a bowl of water overnight in the fridge where it dissolves to form a rich creamy white sauce.

I have a couple of recipes and each one varies somewhat. This will be my first attempt at cooking mansaf and upon completion I will provide the recipe if it comes out satisfactory.

You may or may not find jameed in Egypt. I never really paid attention to it while in Egypt. You may also inquire about ready made Jameed sauce which comes in Tetra packaging (similar to Enjoy/Juyana milk) and that might suffice even if not 100% authentic.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Jameed sauce, ok I'll look for that, thanks. I'll also look forward to your recipe, I would LOVE some Mansaf these days. [Smile]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I've found a few recipes for Mansaf that have just plain yogurt in them. It's probably not the same but seems to be a good subsitute. Maybe strain the yogurt in cheesecloth or papertowels for a few hours to thicken it.

Here's a recipe I found for it (not sure how good it turns out since I've never personally made it but it sounds good)...

Mansaf
1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 1/2 quarts plain yogurt
1 egg
1 cup almonds, freshly toasted
1/2 cup pine nuts, freshly toasted
parsley, finely chopped
salt
pepper
2-3 cups long grain white rice, uncooked (like basmati)
pita bread

Place chicken in large pot with enough salted water to barely cover it.
Cook over medium heat until almost done, about 3/4 hour.
In a separate pan, cook enough rice for 6 large servings.
In a large saucepan, stir yogurt until it is quite smooth. Add beaten egg and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Add enough of the liquid from the cooked chicken to make a thin sauce, about the consistency of very heavy cream.
Heat until it almost comes to a boil and thickens slightly.
Add the cooked chicken pieces to the yogurt sauce and finish cooking the chicken in the sauce, at a low temperature.
Cover a large platter with the pita bread.
Mound the rice in the center to form a pyramid.
Arrange the chicken pieces on the rice and pour most of the yogurt sauce over it, reserving the remaining sauce to be added, as desired, by the diners.
Garnish with the almonds, pine nuts and parsley around the edges of the mound of rice and chicken.
Serve warm and eat with your hands.
Helpful Hints: May also be made with lamb instead of, or in combination with chicken. Broth from cooking the meat may be used to cook the rice.

I will ask a Jordanian woman I know if she has a good recipe for it. I'll post it later, God willing.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com