Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Spice Rack/ Spice Storage - ideas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spice Rack/ Spice Storage - ideas
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok here is my dilemma, so far i have managed to collect about 40-50 different spices. Well some are the same spice but different texture e.g. ground Cumin, whole Cumin, Persian Cumin seeds (Caraway).

Anyway my problem is the spice rack that i have is simply not enough and not really convenient. I mean it is one of those spinning things that looks good but it is not practical when i am cooking.

What are some suggestions. Please keep in mind that i am living in a rental apartment and i do not want to invest too much. Insha Allah when we eventually have our own place i will have something custom made.

The problem is now. As some of my pics indicated i have many spices in plastic bags, simply the same way i bought them from the spice section at the supermarket.

Any ideas to store such spices would be greatly appreciated. It would be interesting to read any input because people who cook know that practicality and ease of using spices while cooking is very important.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found something that i think i could make. I just need to make a simple blueprint or maybe even find online blueprint plans for something that looks like this.

Something like this is something i could simply drill to the wall and take it out if we move.

So basically i need wood, screws, and plenty of jars. I think that is step 1: Jars so i could know how to space the shelves.

We buy spices by weight from the supermarket/spice shops and decent size jars are more appropriate.

Regardless i am still interested if someone has a another idea.

I want something like this - the jars in the bottom shelves look convenient, practical and nice.

-

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do make me laugh [Big Grin] ES's answer to Jamie Oliver, bless ya.

Anyway, I think your idea is a good one, I have the same problem, except the spice I buy is in big bags, so I have to seal the bag and put it in the cupboard and put some in these jars for daily use.

If you didnt want to put this on the wall, you could always make something for the inside of your cupboard doors? OR you can get trolleys here that you can move around the kitchen, I will look for a picture. [Smile]

-

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found some cool bottles. [Big Grin]

cool spice bottles

Here is the site to order them.

fantes.com

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine got some of those for the kitchen:

-

-

The bar has to be attached to the wall, and the jars are attached to the bar via a magnet. It doesn't take up much space and it's very convenient because you can easily see what's in the jars. Plus it's easy to clean and looks cool.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are cool Dalia. Where do you find them?

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Take a look at these cutting boards at the site I posted above.

cutting boards

Some are so beautiful that I would hate to cut on them. Look at this one:

nice

and nice again

They look like they should hang on the wall. [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you want to be careful with wooden cutting boards . contamination. you need to use like bleach on them to clean them after cutting chicken on them . the hard plastic ones are the best to have, just fyi and my experience in the kitchen
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Hi Micky,

I use my wooden one for produce only. I don't bleach it though. Do you think it is necessary if you just cut produce on it? I would be afraid that the bleach would get in the food.

I know to use a separate one for meat and the one I use for that is hard plastic.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are doing the right thing and no you don't need to bleach it if just produce. you could use lemon juice also then wash with soap and water . good job
D.

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

ladies you have great ideas and very creative i might add - i will have to look at them very closely and think about them. i was thinking very conventional actually - it is nice to see other peoples tastes.

now though the kitchen is literally a war zone [Big Grin] i have to go and take care of bizness [Big Grin]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES Bleach them! Just wash throughly after using bleach on it Of_Gold.
I do the same with my wooden spoons.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Thanks Micky. I like the lemon juice idea.

Exiled, I have been looking though that site I posted and it does have some good products, spice jars, spice racks...

You might want to have a look for ideas. I may order somthing from there myself.

You bleach your wooden spoons Smuckers? I have never done that. Doesn't the wood soak up the bleach?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
http://www.chefdepot.net/cutbrd.htm

these are the ones i use at work we have the colored ones we just use the red for meats and green for vegges and so one . good site

Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
Take a look at these cutting boards at the site I posted above.

Ooh, they are very nice! I have a thick wooden cutting board, too. I never bleach it either, though, just clean it with hot water and soap, if necessary. But then I only cut veggies, fruit and bread on it.

I once bought a glass cutting board, I hated it and threw it out after a couple of weeks. Not only did it make a really ugly sound when cutting something, the knife also kept slipping on it, and it was thoroughly ruined afterwards. [Frown]

Plastic cutting boards are ok, but I just like wood better. [Smile]

quote:
Those are cool Dalia. Where do you find them?

Those are all from German mail-order sites. But you can also find them at IKEA, and I'm sure some interior or kitchenware stores in the US will have them.
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WOT A LAFF
Member # 14565

Icon 10 posted      Profile for WOT A LAFF         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
ladies you have great ideas and very creative i might add - i will have to look at them very closely and think about them. i was thinking very conventional actually - it is nice to see other peoples tastes.

now though the kitchen is literally a war zone [Big Grin] i have to go and take care of bizness [Big Grin]

EXILED U GONNA DREAM OF DALIA ROLLIN AROUND IN SOME SPICES TONITE? [Wink] U GO TAKE CARE OF BISINESS WINK WINK WINK [Wink]
Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by WOT A LAFF:
EXILED U GONNA DREAM OF DALIA ROLLIN AROUND IN SOME SPICES TONITE?

What's wrong with you, dude? [Eek!]
WOT A LAFF
Member # 14565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WOT A LAFF         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] HEY ITS NOT ME WHOSE DREAMIN ABOUT YOU DUDETTE. EXILED DOES!!!!! DONT YOU READ ES????? [Wink]
Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad] Gee I wonder who or WOTEVER this is. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

All the post that I have noticed of his are nasty.

--------------------

Liar_Lanie
Member # 14540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liar_Lanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Actually I think it is a she, Chimps.
Posts: 1455 | From: debtville | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liar_Lanie
Member # 14540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liar_Lanie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I found something that i think i could make. I just need to make a simple blueprint or maybe even find online blueprint plans for something that looks like this.

Something like this is something i could simply drill to the wall and take it out if we move.

So basically i need wood, screws, and plenty of jars. I think that is step 1: Jars so i could know how to space the shelves.

We buy spices by weight from the supermarket/spice shops and decent size jars are more appropriate.

Regardless i am still interested if someone has a another idea.

I want something like this - the jars in the bottom shelves look convenient, practical and nice.

-

Dunes if you move into a region with earth quakes or at least tremors I think you should consider that the racks have guards. And a curtain along a curtain pole (sorry my interior decorating terms aren't the best). Because of dust, you don't want to have to empty out spice bottles and then scrub the dust off, if you do middle eastern cooking loads of oils will be used, the oil gets into the air and coats everything, then a layer of dust covers that oil and its a mess.

Just a thought, both ideas will save you alot of time and hassle.

Posts: 1455 | From: debtville | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Reality_Meanie:
quote:

Actually I think it is a she, Chimps.
couldn't be it took up for me in another thread [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Exiled
Member # 14410

First thing first – ladies please do not feed the Troll. And let us not jump to conclusions because I truly believe this Troll is not Chimp. I think Chimp was one of the most misunderstood members and I would be shocked if it was her. The hell with Trolls - you feed them and that is what drives them. So let's not feed the Troll [Smile]

Now to the matter at hand and many of you have given me valuable input I will address each separately.

I’ll start with the crisalida. The trolley idea is great and seems cost effective – but is it convenient to look downwards and grab something from below the knees? That’s what I am talking about – another thing with the trolley is it will take up space on the floor. But it is certainly a viable temporary option because as is - my spices are in disarray. Again for something temporary this might be the way to go without the hassle of getting myself into carpentry – something I know nothing about [Big Grin]

Of _Gold those bottles look like Whiskey bottles to me [Razz] –j/k – I have wider airtight versions of them and if I were to build a shelf – something like those would be nice – slimmer – longer and smaller though. My only concern would be if the Tablespoon could fit in the opening.

Dalia’s are definitely fashionable – they look great to me – a little small but given that they are magnetic you can take them out and place them anywhere after use. I like these because you can take them with you when moving. So Dalia are they sturdy and does the magnet holds the spice containers firmly? Approximately how much would each row cost. I am guessing they are stainless steel and if so that might justify a higher price.

Reality_Meanie, dust is really not an issue in Amman – in the desert regions I imagine it would be– seismic wise I really don’t know but there was an earthquake about two months ago in the Red Sea and I felt a pulse here but it wasn’t much. Thanks for the info and I’ll ask around if they have constant seismic activity and Insha Allah not.

I noticed there is also cutting board discussion going on here and the wooden cutting board I use is strictly for vegetables and white plastic white cutting board for meats, poultry and seafood.

jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well when I first moved here - I could not find any spice jars or racks anywhere, so I started saving up any and all small jars, and a few big ones, took off the labels (like jelly jars, etc) and made my own labels.
Then all of a sudden I started seeing them everywhere.
Found some racks at the plastic stores, and used them inside my cabinets.
Also a friend of mine, made friends with her neighbor who had a baby, eating baby food, and those little jars came in handy for her.

I even have a few jars that I use for other crap - like screws, nails, etc.
okay...ya found me out...am the queen of recycling.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
[Roll Eyes] HEY ITS NOT ME WHOSE DREAMIN ABOUT YOU DUDETTE. EXILED DOES!!!!! DONT YOU READ ES????? [Wink]

Yes, but just a few threads.

I wasn't aware anyone on here is dreaming about me, but I'm sure if that's the case it's not Exiled. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Dalia’s are definitely fashionable – they look great to me – a little small but given that they are magnetic you can take them out and place them anywhere after use. I like these because you can take them with you when moving. So Dalia are they sturdy and does the magnet holds the spice containers firmly? Approximately how much would each row cost. I am guessing they are stainless steel and if so that might justify a higher price.

Yes, of course you can take them with you when you move. They are very sturdy and the magnet holds them fine.

My friend put them close to the stove, so it's very convenient ... I've tested it because I sometimes cook there. [Wink]

They are not as small as they look. I think they might even hold more than regular spice jars.

Prices range between 10 to 50 Euros for one thing with five jars each. I think you need five of those at least if you have a decent spice collection. But those are German prices, not sure if these things are available whereever you are.
Here is an American site with different prices:
http://www.tubularspices.com/Wall_mounted_spice_racks.asp

I know IKEA has them as well, but they are not as nice, the jars are a bit small, at least I would find them too small because I need a lot of spices, I wouldn't want to refill constantly.

Do a google search for "wall spice" and you will probably come across more.

Actually, I still need a solution for my kitchen in Cairo which is quite small. Maybe I'll just get some of those for myself. They are lightweight, so I can easily put them into my suitcase. [Smile]

Then I just have to hope they will finally deliver my stove one day ... [Roll Eyes]

Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
First thing first – ladies please do not feed the Troll. And let us not jump to conclusions because I truly believe this Troll is not Chimp. I think Chimp was one of the most misunderstood members and I would be shocked if it was her. The hell with Trolls - you feed them and that is what drives them. So let's not feed the Troll [Smile]

Most misunderstood member??? Oh god please. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WOT A LAFF
Member # 14565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WOT A LAFF         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:

Yes, but just a few threads.

I wasn't aware anyone on here is dreaming about me, but I'm sure if that's the case it's not Exiled. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

WRONG!!!!!

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003837;p=2#000054

I found closure to my dreams. The member I was dreaming about was Dalia – I didn’t know why I dreamt of her only until recently. Yes she was the woman in my dreams but the actual woman she represented is very much in my real life now. It initially escaped me but now I am 99% certain of this. It can not simply be coincidence. Dalia is German and so is this woman – I’ll detail some of the similarities.
[Eek!]
The second dreamshe asks me ‘how do I look’ and I told her she looked beautiful. I believe she was going out. I also remember in this same dream she was facing a kitchen counter with her back to me. What’s odd was she was wearing these shorts that one of my ex’s used to wear, they were very sexy. Anyway I walked up behind her and she leaned back against my body and exposed her neck to me as she leaned back. I was surprised by her inviting gesture but it wasn’t naughty at all.

REEL NICE [Big Grin]

Dalia*
Member # 10593

LOL. I never looked at that thread. Will have a quick read now ...  -
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Mmh ... actually he didn't dream about me but about a woman who resembled the virtual character of me. So I'm not worried.
 -  -

Regarding the "rolling in the spices" comment ... I actually liked that as a figure of speech. Did you know that many spices are considered aphrodisiacal?
 -

Btw, I often mix finely ground fenugreek into my henna / indigo / indian spices mixture, because it makes the whole thing creamier and provides good slip. The only problem is that afterwards my hair smells like curry for a few days; so I only do this if I have no important meeting coming up.

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
LOL. I never looked at that thread. Will have a quick read now ...  -

do we have new graemlins?
Dalia*
Member # 10593

No. But they only work in this subforum. In all others forums pictures are disabled -- that includes smilies.

-

Yowza
Member # 14400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yowza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
do we have new graemlins?
I wish.

http://www.foolstown.com/en/sm01.htm

http://planetsmilies.net/

I like this one.  - lol

Posts: 198 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

I love that one, too, lol! I call him the reprimanding imam.  -

And here is his Catholic equivalent:
 -

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thanks guys [Smile]  -
this is for leito [Big Grin]

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell ? Why is that noob attacking me [Big Grin] ?
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yowza
Member # 14400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yowza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this one.

-

Posts: 198 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
 -

thats me smacking you around [Big Grin]

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you at work now ?
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
no i have been home for 3 hours now [Smile]

hey this looks like you
 - [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Hey, don't put my pictures in public. [Razz]

How did work go ?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
it was awesome everyone missed me alot got alot of love there and gifts [Big Grin] but it was like i never left, and i feel so good to go back.thanks for asking Vader? i thought you were going to be boobman [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
It clearly states to call me lord, but I guess since you're my aunt you get to call me by my first name [Razz] .

I'm glad work was great and hope it stays like that. [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Vader:
It clearly states to call me lord, but I guess since you're my aunt you get to call me by my first name [Razz] .

I'm glad work was great and hope it stays like that. [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] yeah and don't forget [Wink]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am soooo glad that all went well on your first day back !
good for you girl...go get em tiger !!

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com