EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Egyptology.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » My email to Dr. Sustan Anton on Tut-ankh-amun (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My email to Dr. Sustan Anton on Tut-ankh-amun
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont see what the big deal is..although the bust of Tut looks like Brittny Spears on her Rag...and even though it shows Tut 10 shades lighter than his REAL authentic busts...That Britnny Spears bust still would fit in with Local Ethiopian and Somali tribes...

Also I wonder if that lady relizes Europeans are not the only ones on Earth to have Narrow Noses and thin lips(WHICH TUT DID NOT HAVE)

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wathed the program about the Tut reconstruction and it CLEARLY said that Tut had AFRICAN as well as Caucasiod(OUTDATED TERM..TUT..TUT) Features. Clearly any of the indiginous East African people would have done...

So where does this "European" crap come from. The Egyptians were in no way, shape or form associated with ANYTHING European other than Myceane and later Greece and Rome after it had Declined.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also I wonder if that lady relizes Europeans are not the only ones on Earth to have Narrow Noses and thin lips.
^ thick nose, thin nose, prognathism, orthagonism.....

ah yes, the dog-chases-tail race discourse. [Wink]

a mark of intelligence is to discontinue this fruitless discourse, and move on.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sekhmet225
Member # 14355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sekhmet225     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "race" of Ancient Egyptians will not make it belong to any one race of people because Egypt's greatness belongs to the human race; as a people they belong to Egypt. And I'm sure Egypt's seen a pharoah in every shade. There can never be a fine racial line in a place where there was so much power and wealth. This term is evident even today. Egyptians where aware of racial differences but it didn't define or divide them. Let's take credit for Egypt as humanity and live all the details to the rightful owners of that great civilization: The Egyptians in every shade and hue.
Posts: 18 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
huh!!??? scratch head!!
Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Nord
A banned big lipped primate
Member # 14093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Nord         Edit/Delete Post 
[U]African ancestry, possibly north african.[/U]

Anton does not explain what makes him North African vs African in general. She goes on to state:

[U]north african came mostly from the shape of the face including the narrow nose opening, that is not entirely consistent with an 'African'designation.[/U]

Thus she classifies him as “North African.” She then contradicts herself by stating:

[U]so for me the skull overall, including aspects of the face, spoke fairly strongly of his African origins - the nose was a bit unusual.[/U]

[U]
I did say that the narrow nose was what led me to suggest North Africa as a possibility and that a narrow nose is more typically seen in Europe.[/U]

So is it African or North African? Or more specifically Caucasian as the French team had the authority to classify it as such. WE find out exactly why Anton refuses to be specific in designating Tut a racial classification:

[U]I personally don't findthat term all that useful and so I don't use it. [/U]

Ironic remark considering this is from someone who was paid to do the [U]“biological profile (assessment of age at death,sex and ancestry)” [/U]Tut was indeed North African as that is where his ancestry is, burial, etc. Anton was reluctant to place a racial classification.

Anton basically talks more about Tutus Caucasian nose than anything else, she never once mentions the terms "negroid" or "black," and African does not denote race but simply geographical location.

Based on this skull, the American and French teams both concluded that the subject was [COLOR="Red"]Caucasoid[/COLOR] http://guardians.net/hawass/Press_Release_05-05_Tut_Reconstruction.htm

So why Anton wants to come off extremely wordy in explaining a racial type and change her mind is questionable. She is disingenuous and politically correct.

[U]I did say that the narrow nose was what led me to suggest North Africa as a possibility and that a narrow nose is more typically seen in Europe.[/U]

She does not address what led her to differentiate between North African and Sub-Saharan African.

[U]And we don't know how well today's range matches that of the past, although I suspect there was also a range of variation in the past,[/U]

Anton shows ignorance on the history of ancient immigration into Egypt.

MA program website http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/anthro/...ogy/index.html

This is not a direct link to your source.

OK Here's more from/on Susan Antón

This is not a direct link to the source either. Someone need to provide a direct link to a credible source; a forum is not credible as text can be changed to suit agendas.

How the new face of Tut came about:

1) Using the CT data from scanning done in January, a “rapid prototype model” of the skull was made and provided to French forensic anthropologist Jean-Noel Vignal, of the Centre Technique de la Gendarmerie Nationale. Vignal, who works daily with police officials to reconstruct deceased crime victims, determined from the skull that the person had been male, 18 to 20 years old, [COLOR="red"]with Caucasoid features. “Caucasoid” describes a major group of peoples of Europe, North Africa, the Near East and India. [/COLOR]

2) From the CT data, Vignal and his team determined basic measurements and features of Tut’s face. For example,[COLOR="red"] the size of the narrow nasal opening, considered a Caucasoid trait,[/COLOR] allowed them to fix the size range of Tut’s nose. Other data guided them on the position of the king’s mouth and his receding chin. Vignal also used the data to calculate the correct thickness of skin on Tut’s face.

3) Vignal’s skull “map” then went to [COLOR="red"]one of the world’s leading anthropological sculptors, Elisabeth Daynes[/COLOR] of Paris. Daynes’s job was to combine the science with art [COLOR="red"]to create the most accurate, lifelike face of Tut ever. [/COLOR][COLOR="red"]She used Vignal’s conclusions as well as archaeological information supplied by Hawass that included two wooden sculptures made of Tut during his youth.[/COLOR] Daynes used tissue-depth information to lay clay over the plastic skull models and build toward a human image with flesh, filling in the king’s eyebrow thickness, precise shape of the nose and lips, as well as the approximate shape and size of Tut’s ears.

5) […]Susan Antón, associate professor of anthropology at New York University, in consultation with Bradley Adams of the chief Medical Examiner’s office, studied the CT data. She quickly described the mystery person as male, age 18 to 19 years, and of African ancestry [COLOR="red"]with several Caucasian affinities[/COLOR], possibly of north African origin — all uncannily accurate. Using this information artist Michael Anderson of the Yale Peabody Museum then created his own likeness of the mystery figure and cast it in plaster.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050511133510.htm

Daynès based the skin tone on [COLOR="red"]an average shade of Egyptians today[/COLOR]
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0510_051005_tutsface.html

Led by Zahi Hawass, head of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, a National Geographic Society team commissioned French experts to create the lifelike bust. Using the CT scans, French forensic anthropologist Jean-Noël Vignal determined the basic measurements and features of Tutankhamun's face. [COLOR="red"]Vignal deduced that Tutankhamun had a narrow nose, buck teeth, a receding chin, and Caucasian features. Such features are typical of European, North African, Middle Eastern, and Indian peoples.[/COLOR]

We know for a fact that Tut was not “black” based on the studies and the confirmation from Hawass. You wouldn’t be suggesting the highest ranking Egyptologist with numerious pages of credentials who has discovered over 250 mummies is lying are you? What do you base such an accusation on and why? It can only be because you do not agree with the most outspoken Egyptologist since it does not fit your racist agenda.[/B]

"[COLOR="Red"]Tutankhamun was not black, and the portrayal of ancient Egyptian civilization as black has no element of truth to it," [/COLOR]Hawass told reporters.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=90699
[/QUOTE]

Alot of you Afronuts also make tese bogus claims of East Africans not being mixed without providing any proof to back it up. Study after study has proved that these people have Admixtures.

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ White Nerd.

Please do not pollute this forum with your retarded replies.

quote:
make tese bogus claims of East Africans not being mixed
^ Are Europeans mixed. Are they all unmixed?

The blondes and brunettes?

The pale skinned and olive skinned?

The curely haired and the straight haired.

Those who have almost entirely R1b lineaeges from paleolithic Europe, and those who have 25% East African E3b and another 25% Arabian Peninsula J?

Those Europeans with Benin Hbs sickle haplotype?

These Europeans....

-

Unless you can prove Europeans are not mixed - which you can't - then mixture is irrelevant to your argument, and your reply is retarded.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Nord
Member # 14093

Rate Member
Yet you nor any of your pathetic friends could not refute a thing on my post! Fce it tut was white and East Africans aren't pure Africans.
Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Nord
Member # 14093

Rate Member
deleted
White Nord
Member # 14093

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by White Nord:
The post above is the Work of Kellscross on stormfront, so you afrocentrics have your work cut out for you.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sekhmet225:
The "race" of Ancient Egyptians will not make it belong to any one race of people because Egypt's greatness belongs to the human race;

True.

Please understand, that many on this board are simply opposed to disingenuous 'cover up' of Kemet's Africanity and the biased notion of Kemet being European or otherwise non-African.

quote:
I know his post isn't substantive at all, and diserves nothing more than to be ignored, but, it irks me a little. But I'm happy to educate:

quote:
Originally posted by White Nord:
Anton does not explain what makes him North African vs African in general.

I disagree with the above.

It is better for one to refrain from speaking unless one knows what he or she is talking about, like Dr. Susan C. Anton:

quote:
Anton:
"African ancestry, ***possibly** north african.

Why African, possibly North African?

quote:
"the skull overall, including aspects of the face, spoke fairly strongly of his African origins - the nose was a bit unusual.
However, she says:

quote:
north african came mostly from the shape of the face including the narrow nose opening, that is not entirely consistent with an 'African'designation.

I did say that the narrow nose was what led me to suggest North Africa as a possibility and that a narrow nose is more typically seen in Europe.

She knows this:

quote:
One of the human phenotypic traits that holds the greatest diversity is cranial morphology. Because of this fact, cranial features can at times be misleading if not taken into proper context. For example, for a long time features like long narrow faces and narrow noses have been associated with “caucasian” or “caucasoid” people even though such features are present in populations throughout the globe from Africa to the Americas. The same can be said about so-called “negroid” features such as broad faces and noses which are also not just confined to Africans but various peoples in Asia, the Pacific, the Americas ('African' Olmecs anyone?) etc.

Jean Hiernaux
The People of Africa(Peoples of the World Series)

"The oldest remains of Homo sapiens sapiens found in East Africa were associated with an industry having similarities with the Capsian. It has been called Upper Kenyan Capsian, although its derivation from the North African Capsian is far from certain. At Gamble's Cave in Kenya, five human skeletons were associated with a late phase of the industry, Upper Kenya Capsian C, which contains pottery. A similar association is presumed for a skeleton found at Olduvai, which resembles those from Gamble's Cave. The date of Upper Kenya Capsian C is not precisely known (an earlier phase from Prospect Farm on Eburru Mountain close to Gamble's Cave has been dated to about 8000 BC); but the presence of pottery indicates a rather later date, perhaps around 400 BC. The skeletons are of very tall people. They had long, narrow heads, and relatively long, narrow faces. The nose was of medium width; and prognathism, when present, was restricted to the alveolar, or tooth-bearing, region......all their features can be found in several living populations of East Africa, like the Tutsi of Rwanda and Burundi, who are very dark skinned and differ greatly from Europeans in a number of body proportions.............
From the foregoing, it is tempting to locate the area of differentiation of these people in the interior of East Africa. There is every reason to believe that they are ancestral to the living 'Elongated East Africans'. Neither of these populations, fossil and modern, should be considered to be closely related to the populations of Europe and western Asia."

African populations have had these traits since before 'caucasians' existed, but yes, narrow nasal morphologies are much more commonly found in homo sapian sapian populations adapted to living in drier, less tropical areas.

It's clear...

quote:
White Nord:Thus she classifies him as “North African.” [...] So is it African or North African? Or more specifically Caucasian [...] why Anton refuses to be specific in designating Tut a racial classification:
^you (and whoever's material it is you've posted but clearly adhere to) are the one who's/ones who are confused.

quote:
Anton:
I personally don't find that term all that useful and so I don't use it.

quote:
White Nord:
Ironic remark considering this is from someone who was paid to do the

quote:
Susan Anton:
“biological profile (assessment of age at death,sex and ancestry)”

This is because:

quote:
Which is why we have keen observations like these:

Jean Hiernaux "The People of Africa" 1975
p.53, 54

"In sub-Saharan Africa, many anthropological characters show a wide range of population means or frequencies. In some of them, the whole world range is covered in the sub-continent. Here live the shortest and the tallest human populations, the one with the highest and the one with the lowest nose, the one with the thickest and the one with the thinnest lips in the world. In this area, the range of the average nose widths covers 92 per cent of the world range: only a narrow range of extremely low means are absent from the African record. Means for head diameters cover about 80 per cent of the world range; 60 per cent is the corresponding value for a variable once cherished by physical anthropologists, the cephalic index, or ratio of the head width to head length expressed as a percentage....."

There's more:

quote:
Originally posted by Alive-(What Box):
quote:
Caucasian 1. adj. Of or being a purported human racial classification traditionally distinguished by light [?] to brown skin color [?] and including peoples indigenous to Europe, N Africa, W Asia, and India. Not in scientific use. 2. Of the Caucasus. n. 1. Anthro. A member of the Caucasian racial classification. 2. A native inhabitant of the Caucasus.
The Caucasus is a mountain region.

There's more:

quote:
Caucasoid adj. Of or relating to the Caucasian racial classification. Not in scientific use.
But most laymen will continue to do what they're free to: [Wink]

that is believe what they want to believe in regardless of factual basis or lack thereof.

I think these particular quotes were from my American heritage dictionary.

But you can get them from any modern dictionary.

The reason these terms are no longer in scientific use?

One reason is such skulls can be found all over the world, in the Americas, Africa, Europe, Asia, and the Pacific, and do not imply related ancetry.

For instance, Austrailians and Andaman Islanders may have a bit of a stereotypical African look, but they're actually closest related to Asians.

White Europeans and all shades of people in the Arabian peninsula in fact have more recent African ancestors than do they.

Accepting those types of racial labels is what has led to people claiming this

-

is a 'negro', when infact it's an indigenous Meso-American.

quote:
White Nord:Caucasian nose [...] "negroid" or "black,"
quote:
and African does not denote race
Ofcourse not, as race is not a taxonomic reference for humans.

There are no species or even sub-species in humans, so, biologically, the concept of 'race' doesn't exist.

Only genetic relationships -closly related, or distant- between groups of people/populations.

You say North African as if you think it is exclusive of African, she doesn't, that's where you're confused.

The difference between North Africa and the rest of Africa is, that North Africans have a lot of recent, and historic genetic ties to many non-Africans, including SW Asians, and Europeans.

quote:
the American and French teams
 -

..didn't do a double-blinded reconstruction, as did this double-blinded unbias American team:

-

Here are Africans with more narrow faces, who arez a tad wider in the nasal pathway, and who's noses (nostrils) are wider than that of Prince Tutankhamun.

-

The thing about racial appearances, is that 99% of the difference is in soft tissue, which skeletons don't have.

Skeleton:

-

Mummies:

-

-

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You say North African as if you think it is exclusive of African, she doesn't, that's where you're confused.
Respectfully, I beg to disagree as I see it, Anton was a bit confused in her terminology as well in ascribing narrow noses accompanied by classic stereotyped "Africoid" traits such as prognathism, exclusively to North Africa. Though she does hold the position generally espoused by Keita, suggesting that Tut (specifically) and other INDIGENOUS northeast Africans (Arab North Africans are just that: Arab) aren't any more or less "African" than other native-born Africans who have little or nothing whatsoever to do with Europeans from Europe and other non-Africans. I believe that she was individually opposed to suggesting that Tut had any sort of "European" ancestry, but noted features usually seen universally in Africa, which isn't surprising.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sekhmet225:
The "race" of Ancient Egyptians will not make it belong to any one race of people because Egypt's greatness belongs to the human race; as a people they belong to Egypt. And I'm sure Egypt's seen a pharoah in every shade. There can never be a fine racial line in a place where there was so much power and wealth. This term is evident even today. Egyptians where aware of racial differences but it didn't define or divide them. Let's take credit for Egypt as humanity and live all the details to the rightful owners of that great civilization: The Egyptians in every shade and hue.

LMAO @ some of these liberal historians who try and cast AE in the light of some sort of "All inclusive" society with no enemies. The facts are, that ancient Egyptians held off all or most invasions that would be able to shift the demographics, until the middle kingdom. We're speaking of the indigenous people who built Egypt to its wealth and power, not the people they shared it with. Those people were clearly native Africans from the Nile valley, no migration or diffusion hypothesis necessary.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sundiata.

I have a question for you concerning the demographics of modern Egypt.

I know that no large scale migration from Asia could have happened prior to the Middle Kingdom.

And well into it - even given the Hyksos such a diffusion claim is questionable given the sheer 'bloody', and 'take no prisoners' nature of their invasion and expulsion.

My question is this:

When do we see the most significant shift in terms of Egypt's demographic?

If I'm not mistaken it occured during Greek rule?

This would be consistant with the fact of population continuity in terms of affinities from Pre-Dynastic on through Late Dynastic times.

Of course, this was a continuity *with gradual change* - there exists today a South-North cline generally with the more indigenous (like those in the Phaoronic era) in the South and those less-so in the North. But all are admixed with foreigners. No one denies this. Heck, the Beja (of Sudan) are believed to bear the closest resemblance to the citizens of ancient Kemet.

"There is limb ratio and craniofacial morphological and metric CONTINUITY in Upper-Egypt-Nubia in a broad sense from the late paleolithic through dynastic periods, although change occured." - Keita, Studies and Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships.

"The variability in the population in Upper Egypt increased, as its isolation decreased, with increasing social complexity of southern Egypt from the predynastic through dynastic periods (Keita 1992). The Upper Egyptian population apparently began to converge skeletally on Lower Egyptian patterns through the dynastic epoch; whether this is primarily due to gene flow or other factors has yet to be finally determined. The Lower Egyptian pattern is intermediate to that of the various northern Europeans and West African and Khoisan." - Keita.

And you could still see many of the types of Dynastic times in modern Egypt. There was a wonderfully perfect example of this that Djehuti used to post, of these Egyptian kids wherein you could see individuals of "East African", so-called "Mediteranian", "West African", and traces of so-called 'Asian/Mongoliod/San' physical appearance.

But it got taken down.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

-

-

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Hey, Alive-(What Box).. I'd like to start off by saying that I retract my respectful disagreement with you in my post above because I misinterpreted what you wrote. With that said, moving on..

quote:
Originally posted by Alive-(What Box):
Sundiata.

I have a question for you concerning the demographics of modern Egypt.

I know that no large scale migration from Asia could have happened prior to the Middle Kingdom.

And well into it - even given the Hyksos such a diffusion claim is questionable given the sheer 'bloody', and 'take no prisoners' nature of their invasion and expulsion.

My question is this:

When do we see the most significant shift in terms of Egypt's demographic?

If I'm not mistaken it occured during Greek rule?

This would be consistant with the fact of population continuity in terms of affinities from Pre-Dynastic on through Late Dynastic times.

I was never really forced to think of it in those terms since as you say in this same post, I'd figured the shift was gradual. But literally, if I were to ponder where that shift was most accelerated, I'd have to agree as this is even reflected in one of Irish's dental studies. He'd found a continuity from the pre-dynastic Badarian, all the way into the late dynastic, that was abruptly broken during this era. The Greco-Roman mummy portraits of al-Fayyum also show some evidence of "mixing" among the Greek settlers (unless some of those Greeks already possessed some degree of African ancestry).

quote:
Of course, this was a continuity *with gradual change* - there exists today a South-North cline generally with the more indigenous (like those in the Phaoronic era) in the South and those less-so in the North. But all are admixed with foreigners. No one denies this. Heck, the Beja (of Sudan) are believed to bear the closest resemblance to the citizens of ancient Kemet.
Agreed. That's why it's so complicated though I do put more emphasis on the south when examining the presence of indigenous representatives of the ancient population. Despite the cline, as Keita points out:

"Cosmopolitan northern Egypt is less likely to have a population representative of the core indigenous population of the most ancient times".- Keita (2005), pp. 564

The Islamic invasions can't be overstated either. Such is ultimately responsible for the most enduring language shift, religious affiliation/shift, and cultural shift. It goes without saying that it was the source of a significant demographic shift as well. Egypt has been through a lot.

I also agree that the Beja (some of whom still live in southern Egypt) may be a fair representation of what an ancient Egyptian looked like.

quote:
"There is limb ratio and craniofacial morphological and metric CONTINUITY in Upper-Egypt-Nubia in a broad sense from the late paleolithic through dynastic periods, although change occured." - Keita, Studies and Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological Relationships.

"The variability in the population in Upper Egypt increased, as its isolation decreased, with increasing social complexity of southern Egypt from the predynastic through dynastic periods (Keita 1992). The Upper Egyptian population apparently began to converge skeletally on Lower Egyptian patterns through the dynastic epoch; whether this is primarily due to gene flow or other factors has yet to be finally determined. The Lower Egyptian pattern is intermediate to that of the various northern Europeans and West African and Khoisan." - Keita.

And you could still see many of the types of Dynastic times in modern Egypt. There was a wonderfully perfect example of this that Djehuti used to post, of these Egyptian kids wherein you could see individuals of "East African", so-called "Mediteranian", "West African", and traces of so-called 'Asian/Mongoliod/San' physical appearance.

But it got taken down.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

-

-

Yea, I'm not convinced AE was so mongrelized though. I see your point, but I wouldn't attribute those various features to such a wide geographic distribution (West Africa, Asia, "Mediteranian", or East African"). Modern Egyptians generally reflect those they came in contact with during AND after the decline of km't, while Kemetians generally seemed to trend towards the East African/Horn of Africa phenotypes, exceptions notwithstanding.

Nice pictures btw..

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sundiata:
I was never really forced to think of it in those terms since as you say in this same post, I'd figured the shift was gradual. But literally, if I were to ponder where that shift was most accelerated, I'd have to agree as this is even reflected in one of Irish's dental studies. He'd found a continuity from the pre-dynastic Badarian, all the way into the late dynastic, that was abruptly broken during this era. The Greco-Roman mummy portraits of al-Fayyum also show some evidence of "mixing" among the Greek settlers (unless some of those Greeks already possessed some degree of African ancestry).

quote:
Agreed. That's why it's so complicated though I do put more emphasis on the south when examining the presence of indigenous representatives of the ancient population. Despite the cline, as Keita points out:

"Cosmopolitan northern Egypt is less likely to have a population representative of the core indigenous population of the most ancient times".- Keita (2005), pp. 564

Thankyou!

quote:
The Islamic invasions can't be overstated either. Such is ultimately responsible for the most enduring language shift, religious affiliation/shift, and cultural shift. It goes without saying that it was the source of a significant demographic shift as well. Egypt has been through a lot.
Well stated.

quote:

Nice pictures btw..

thanks
Serpent Wizdom
Member # 7652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serpent Wizdom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OT, I learned a lot about the mind of racist people through the back and forth debates of evileuro and others. For one, I learned that these people are terribly sick and don't have a peanuts worth of sanity.

But I must say I miss laughing at evil e...I got some of the most gut wrenching laughs when he was on this site about 3 years ago. I also learned a little about antropology in the process thanks to rasol, supercar, thought, ausar and others.

I need a really good laugh at this time: Can someone find evileuro, please... I hate to say it but I wish he had never been banned..

I learned a little something about debating and how not to let distractions take you away from the subject, mainly from people debating with his crazy arse.

--------------------

Posts: 303 | From: Inside my Mind | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://sankofaworldpublishers.com/Queen%20Tiye.jpg

Queen Tiye

King Tut's grandmother Queen Tiye

-

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 19th century and in the centuries previous European visitors to from the 19th century and before commonly contrasted the dark brown, “half-naked” and indigenous Fellaheen agriculturalists with the fair or pale-complexioned Turks dressed in robes and furs that had entered the country I large numbers. Today most natives of the United Arab Republic of Eygpt consider themselves (thanks to European colonials) representative of the indigenous people of ancient Egypt . However, it is clear that less than a century ago this was not the case. Most of the agriculturalists in Egypt had absorbed for centuries the incoming Bedouins of the Arabian peninsula who were evidently of the same color as the indigenous Egyptians as well as large numbers of slaves in early days from Asia and later mostly African and Slavic. On the other hand Turks in the 18th through 20th centuries made up a rather significant portion of Egypt ’s major cities and their descendants remain representative of the upper class of Egypt .

In 1845 - A traveling lawyer from the mid 19th century Dawson Borrer wrote of, “gaunt brown fellahs half unclad, women wrapped up in scanty unwashed garments… with their faces daubed in curious devices of blue paint… and naked children…” from A Journey from Naples to Jerusalem, by Way of Athens, Egypt and the Peninsula of Sinai…” p. 90 by Dawson Borrer, Esquire translation by M. Linant de Bellefonde.

Circa 1860s - Lucie A. Duff Gordon wrote of the appearance of Turkish Mamluk soldiers in Egypt that were fair and blue-eyed who “contrast curiously with the brown Fellaheen.” Gordon In Letters from Egypt 1863-1865 by p. 351-352 published by Elibron Classics in 2001. (Turk, Copts and Fellaheen)

1861 - William Henry Bartlett - “The streets swarm with Turks in splendid many-coloured robes, half naked brown skinned Arabs…” The Nile Boat, Or Glimpses of the Land of Egypt by William Henry Bartlett 1861 p. A. Hall, Virtue and Co.

From 1867A.D. - by Egyptologist Champolion-Figeac - “The first tribes that inhabited Egypt that is, the Nile Valley between the Syene cataracts and the sea, came from Abyssinia to Sennar. The ancient Egyptians belonged to a race quite similar to the Kennous or Barabras, present inhabitants of Nubia. In the Copts of Egypt we do not find any of the characteristic features of the ancient Egyptian population. The Copts are the result of crossbreeding with all the nations that have successively dominated Egypt . It is wrong to seek in them the principal features of the old race.” From Letters published by Champollion-Figeac

1870 – Samuel Sharpe on city of Alexandria in 1870, “…the poor of the city, as of old are the half naked brown-skinned Fellahs.” in The History of Egypt : From the Earliest Times ‘Til the Conquest of the Arabs Vol. II, p. 386, London : George Bell and Sons 1885.

1878 - On the nile at Farshut “the swarms of brown Fellaheen” are described in A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Ann Blanford Edwards Vol. I 1878. p. 150 published by

1875 - The Fellaheen are described “chocolate brown” in the text, Contributions to the Ethnology of Egypt in the Journal of Anthropological Institute of Great Britiain and Ireland , Vol. 4, 1875, pp. 223-254

1879 - “If you have no wind you lie in the river and watch the idle flapping of the sail and the crowd of black and brown fellahs howling for baksheesh…” from Around the World with General Grant : A Narrative of the Visit of General U.S. Grant, Ex-President of the United States to Various Countries in Europe , Asia and Africa in 1877, 1878, 1879 published by John Russell Young, Volume I 1879.

1899 - About the city of Cairo and it’s fair-skinned Turks and its native Arab fellaheen “east of this line 500,000 brown skinned Arabs are living in the quaintest and most delightful, but at the same time dirtiest and most dilapidated streets.. Cairo has a population of some 600,000 inhabitants” p. 74 from The Redemption fo Egypt by William Basil Worsfold published in 1899 by G. Allen.
--------
14 August 2002, Issue No. 598, Cairo , AL -AHRAM

2002 - The Muslim News Online concerning upper class in Egypt and continued treatment of the darker or brown Egyptians:
“… racial prejudice is not exclusively directed at those from sub-Saharan Africa. Upper class Egyptians, often fairer than their poorer compatriots, invariably look down on lower class Egyptians who tend to be darker in complexion. There is a subtle correlation between lower income and darker complexion. The Egyptian upper classes and elites tend to be noticeably lighter in complexion than their poorer and working class compatriots. "They labour in the sun," is sometimes the cynical explanation.” Retrieved two August 27, 2008.

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanity
Member # 15871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Id be happy to send her images of many west african terracotta heads that have "caucasoid" noses LOL,has she been down to the baltic areas of europe lately? no "caucasoid" noses there.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
From: "Susan C Anton" <susan.anton@nyu.edu> [Add to Address Book] Add to Address Book
To: email withheld

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:26:22 -0400
Subject: Re: North African ''caucasoid'' and European nose opening Tut-ankh-amu

Dear name withheld,,
Thanks for your email. I actually didn't choose the term "North
African
Caucasoid" that is the term used by another team (there were three that
worked on separate reconstructions). The French team was responsible
for the reconstruction that was on the cover of National Geographic
Magazine and they also used that term.

Our team, myself and Michael Anderson of Yale, were the ones that did
the plaster reconstruction without knowledge of whose skull we were
working on. I did the biological profile (assessment of age at death,
sex and ancestry), Michael made the actual reconstruction. Based on
the
physical characters of the skull, I concluded that this was the skull
of
a male older than 15 but less than 21, and likely in the 18-20 year
range and of African ancestry, possibly north african. The possibly
north african came mostly from the shape of the face including the
narrow nose opening, that is not entirely consistent with an 'African'
designation. A narrow nose is more typical of more northerly located
populations because nose breadth is thought to be at least in part
related to the climate in which ancestral populations lived. A narrow
and tall nose is seen most frequently in Europeans. Tut's head was a
bit of a conundrum, but, as you note, there is a huge range of
variation
in modern humans from any area, so for me the skull overall, including
aspects of the face, spoke fairly strongly of his African origins - the
nose was a bit unusual. Because their is latitudinal variation in
several aspects of the skull (including nose size/shape), the
narrowness
of the nose suggested that he might be from a northerly group. This is
also, I presume, what the French focussed on. I have not been in
direct
contact with the French group, but my understanding is that by their
definition of 'caucasoid' they include Peoples from North Africa,
Peoples from Western Asia (and the Caucasus, from where the term
derives), and Eureopean peoples. So I don't think that they were
referring to a specific set of those peoples. I personally don't find
that term all that useful and so I don't use it. That it was
attributed
to me by the media is an incorrect attribution on their part. I also
never said he had a European nose, although I am sure I did say that
the
narrow nose was what led me to suggest North Africa as a possibility
and
that a narrow nose is more typically seen in Europe. Not a great
sound-bit that, so I guess it gets shortened to European nose.

As you also note, skin color today in North Africa can range from much
lighter than what they chose to much darker. And we don't know how
well today's range matches that of the past, although I suspect there
was also a range of variation in the past, as is normal for any
biological population. Michael's reconstruction did not include an
inference of skin color (or eye color), the French team's did and their
inference was, I understand, based on a 'average' skin tone for Egypt
today. I don't know the specifics of how they did that. I think,
however, it would have been as accurate to have had the same facial
reconstruction with either a lighter tone or a darker tone to the skin.
That said, skin and eye color will always be an inference.

I hope that helps explain.
Susan

Susan C. Antón
Joint Editor, Journal of Human Evolution
Director, MA Program in Human Skeletal Biology
Associate Professor, Center for the Study of Human Origins
Department of Anthropology NYU
25 Waverly Place,
New York, NY 10003
(212)992-9786

MA program website http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/anthro/programs/biology/index.html

Posts: 70 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanity
Member # 15871

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rasol you are a genuis,E3b [east africans] are part of the large E african family they gave part of their genes to the meds and middle easterners so of course they'd end up sharing some dna results with those groups! whats the bet it was the ultra "progressive" horners [horn of africa] who gave the cro mags[R1b] thin noses!

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
^ White Nerd.

Please do not pollute this forum with your retarded replies.

quote:
make tese bogus claims of East Africans not being mixed
^ Are Europeans mixed. Are they all unmixed?

The blondes and brunettes?

The pale skinned and olive skinned?

The curely haired and the straight haired.

Those who have almost entirely R1b lineaeges from paleolithic Europe, and those who have 25% East African E3b and another 25% Arabian Peninsula J?

Those Europeans with Benin Hbs sickle haplotype?

These Europeans....

-

Unless you can prove Europeans are not mixed - which you can't - then mixture is irrelevant to your argument, and your reply is retarded.

Posts: 70 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanity
Member # 15871

Rate Member
This women could not look more african.

quote:
Originally posted by Egmond Codfried:
http://sankofaworldpublishers.com/Queen%20Tiye.jpg

Queen Tiye

King Tut's grandmother Queen Tiye

-

humanity
Member # 15871

Rate Member
people forget that africa is just as varied in phenotypes as the rest of the world.A malaysian does'nt look korean,a italian does'nt look like like an estonian et al,we have just as much variety.

-

--------------------
remember mankind that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that this lady editing a respected and refereed journal on human evolution had the audacity to say that a narrow and tall nose is "more frequently seen among Europeans", as if she had never seen modern Somali, Ethiopian and Eritrean population shows why this debate is still going on after decades. The only difference is earlier physical anthropologists seemed to be more aware of the historical factors (like immigration), and the fact that most Egyptian skeletal remains were indistinguishable from those of 'Abyssinians" whom most of them nevertheless classified as "Caucasoids".

--------------------
D. Reynolds-Marniche

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_01
Member # 15687

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob_01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can include other East Africans such as the Tutsis, and the Hausa-Fulani peoples of West Africa make up a greater population than the total white American population. Her comment is downright ridiculous.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tibe still working
Member # 16647

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe still working   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go have a look at this mummy:

SONOS CONTACT DETAILS
Amy Lynn Johnson
1518 Spruce Place • Minneapolis, MN 55403
phone 612-483-1637
amylynn.johnson@yahoo.com

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1325 | From: For tooti http://www.csa.gov.uk/ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com