EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » African Weapons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: African Weapons
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the time when one see a movie or a graphic picture of an African Worrior he is always accompanied by his trusty spear.So much so that they even acquired the nick name spear trukers. but a quick glance into any of the old African civilizations reveils a wide variety of weapons that is down right intimedating.below is a link to the various weapons found in many different African sociaties.Please tour and enjoy.

www.hamillgallery.com/EXHIBITIONS/AfricanWarrior.html

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No big deal. But it's "spear chuckers". I am sure your Japanese is 100%--a language I will never have the time to learn.

You are right, African metallurgy is impreesive. I once an exhibition titled "Art of the Congo"--and it was high quality, especially the metal work. The Musee de l'homme in Paris also keeps a large collection of looted African items--gold, iron, etc, thatare of high quality.

Cheikh Anta Diop once said it: colonialism destroyed a large portion of Africa's technological infrastructure.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops I did it again,Really iam a bad typist.And my spelling is equally bad.and my Japanese is only about 75%,But did you checkout the throwing knives?
no getting around that with out full body armour plus shield.Btw The use of the horse in the forest zone...why?

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Are you talking about in the Mali piece? [horse]

and...

-

-

-

-

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Not the Mali horsemen they lived mostly in the savannah so maneuvoring horses wouldn't be a problem. yes I am thinking about the Benin horseman,and others like them.Plus the dreaded tsetse fly,I thought they plague the forest zone.

But my main question has to do military effectiveness,Plus they must be relatively expensive.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...curious about the Yoruba horsemen...when did Yorubas start riding horses, was that something we picked up from the north (Hausas/Fulanis)??
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Hi Horus, hisasiburi!!,you know the area right? does a tsetse fly problem exist in the forest zone area or not. and just how thick is the forest area now?
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, long time indeed! [Big Grin] I was busy attending to the wife. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Yeah, tes-tse fly is a problem. It causes a sleeping-sickness if I remember. Not good for students trying to stay awake in class. [Big Grin]

I don't understand your last question. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been writing a story that involves the use of one of the Mangbetu knives. I have visited that site but they are always sold out.
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
well I can understand trying to make a whole lotta little Horuses and Asets.

ok the last question,is the area where the Yorubas tend to live heavily forested.

Astenb, really you gonna publish soon?give us a hint murder mystery, set in ancient or modern times, when you done I want my auto-graph copy [Big Grin]

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Since sports is sometimes related to fighting I will add this,Nigerian form of boxing called Dambe and Kemitic sports scene,here in the Kemetic scene you have everything from boxing to what looks like hockey lol nothing new under the sun,also I remember Bernal stating that pygmies had something to with boxing and relating them to the God Bes.

www.sis.gov.eg/En/Society/Sport/Ancient/090701000000000001.htm

Dambe
www.warriorpages.com/Wiki/tiki-print.php?page=Dambe

Angolan martial arts

www.motleyhealth.com/martial-arts-capoeira.html - 62k

Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:

Angolan martial arts

www.motleyhealth.com/martial-arts-capoeira.html - 62k [/QB]

Took this up as a child. See it in action..

From the first and last scenes from my favorite Capoeira movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf4-I7_WwJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_72qIpCQOI

Also, no one yet has mentioned African infantrymen. I know Mai Idris Alooma secured arms to bolster him military presence and the Asante also used rifle power in many of their raids. Funny though is that history tells us that arms weren't necessarily the most effective means of warfare in Africa (namely west). The Yoruba-Dahomey conflict was a classic case of cavalry vs. infantry, where the cavalry (Yoruba) prevailed, establishing the transition to Oyo hegemony over them for more than a century. Strategy is key. As mentioned above though, I'd like to read more primary source information on the life and campaigns of Mai Idris Alooma, possibly the greatest military tactician in African history and certainly West African. I continuously read references to Ibn Fartuwa, but have never been able to find any of his writings.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I want my auto-graph copy [Big Grin]

Haha! you've been to the Paradise. [Big Grin]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Most of the time when one see a movie or a graphic picture of an African Worrior he is always accompanied by his trusty spear.So much so that they even acquired the nick name spear trukers. but a quick glance into any of the old African civilizations reveils a wide variety of weapons that is down right intimedating.below is a link to the various weapons found in many different African sociaties.Please tour and enjoy.

Yes unfortunately this silly ignorance of African "spear chuckers" exists even though not only did Africans wield a wide array and variety of weapons-- many of which were metal of course since Africans were the earliest metallurgists-- but they forget that the spear was a weapon common to many peoples outside of Africa including Europe!

But getting to the subject of Egypt since the ancient Egyptians were also Africans...

Egyptian spearmen
 -

Egyptian khopesh (sickle sword)
 -

Binja sickle sword from Zaire
 -

^ Sickles swords were basically weapons adapted from agricultural tools.

Egyptian straight sword
 -

Luba sword from the Congo
 -

Egyptian battle-axe
 -

Tsonga battle-axe
 -

And of course the bow-and-arrow

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17322/17322-h/images/095.jpg

^ Yes the Egyptians performed ceremony war-dances just before battle just like many other Africans!

By the way, here are more African antique weapons.

Posts: 26261 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Sundjata,thanks for the movie never saw it before, they got some really sick moves,one has to be in good shape to keep up,slackers need not apply.

while one can find scholarly works on African warfare, they are usually dry,deadpan and some downright boring, atleast for a layman like myself.One of the better books I have read was Amazons of Black Sparta about the Dahomean military,focusing on the female units.

Believe it or not and please don't slap me, but i first became aware of Mai Idris Alooma because of the Budweiser Great Kings and Queens of Africa poster art series i saw posted on the walls of a Barber shop in Brooklyn as a teenager.

DJehuti that Binja sword looks a lot like the Kemities Sickle sword I am thinking deffusion??? and also when did swords came into general use? Bernal seems to think they made their apperence sometime in the middle kingdom. I will do additional checking to make sure.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Ok I found somethng that confirms Bernal's statement that the sword made it's way into kemet during the M.K. but it was not a African invention as I had thought.This was taken form Wiki.Here goes:

The Khopesh

Khopesh (ḫpš) is the Egyptian name of the Canaanite "sickle-sword" (actually more like a type of axe). Its origins can be traced back to third millennium BC Sumer.

Description
A typical khopesh is 50-60cm in length (though smaller examples also exist) and is composed of three main parts: the hilt, a straight and unsharpened section of blade finishing in a curved crescent shape with the sharpened edge. The khopesh evolved from the epsilon or similar crescent shaped axes that were used in warfare. This makes the khopesh not a true sword (which evolved from daggers), but a specialized battle-axe. However, unlike an axe, the khopesh did not make push-cuts, but rather slashes. The khopesh went out of use around 1300BC.

Use
The khopesh was initially used against the Egyptians in war, but as the kingdom of Egypt improved trade relations with other kingdoms, eventually it adopted the khopesh. It seemed to have been most popular during the New Kingdom under the united Egypt.[citation needed] Various pharaohs are depicted with a khopesh, and some have been found in royal graves, such as the two examples found with Tutankhamun.

Although some examples are clearly sharpened, many examples have dull edges which apparently were never intended to be sharp. It may therefore be possible that some khopeshes found in high status graves were ceremonial variants.

Later the Khopesh was slowly developed into what is known as the Falcata. This variant was adopted by Alexander the Great for its effectiveness.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The khopesh may be Asian in origin but that doesn't mean the sickle sword in general is not an African innovation as such type weapons are widespread in Africa.
Posts: 26261 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
up
Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, how do any of those primitive weapons match up to the gun?

quote:

Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^They don't. It sure is more efficient than the bow and arrow.

Guns have an interesting early history. The first gunpowder weapon, a canon i think, was used in around 900s India i think and the first gun powder proportions written down were by Arabs. The Chinese made a lot of early use of gun powder with rockets even (they had flame throwers, canons, all sorts of stuff) and as far as we know they had discovered the stuff in the 800s.

But this is an African thread. Africa saw gun use too but inventions wise all there is is the first gun ever made a millennium earlier -- it wasn't gunpowder though, it was air-pressure and from Alexandria.

Like the Chinese, i read somewhere the Yoruba discovered gun powder on their own too. I don't doubt it, people have been into messing with and altering the state of rock / earthly materials with fire since we got here.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^So then what the hell are you comparing African weapons to find worthy praise for it? It is pointless to praise weaponry that could not even match up to the weapons used by an invading threat from outside Africa. This is just another pointless 'build up my self-esteem' African pride nonsense thread.
Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread, Brada. We could use more of it.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point of the thread is obviously informational.

quote:
Originally posted by Confirming Truth:
This is just another pointless 'build up my self-esteem' African pride nonsense thread.

Your words not anyone elses.

quote:
So then what the hell are you comparing African weapons to find worthy praise for it? It is pointless to praise weaponry that could not even match up to the weapons used by an invading threat from outside Africa.
They couldn't match up to the gun once the gun had developed to a certain point, but they still in cases put up a hell of a fight.

This thread is informational though. Why are you riling yourself up just to get mad?

[Big Grin] You MAD!! ha

lol

quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
No big deal.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^^^Speaking of guns though, not to interrupt the flow, but do any Africans at all yet manufacture their own guns? Do they even not yet manufacture the cheaper ones?

South Africa does dun't'it?

Edit:

Nevermind, Ethiopia locally produces, as does South Africa, as does Sudan's MIC, as does Nigeria have a mass produced OBJ-006 -- the Nigerian Kalash (AK47).

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found something on old Moroccan guns, courtesy of Goantiques.com...

-

Description: 17th. century Moroccan ivory pistol-dagger with delicate and intricate ivory carved decorations with a floral design. Silver trigger and muzzle cover with incised decorations and coral and turquoise decorations. By withdrawing the handle, the pistol becomes a dagger used for close combat. This unique pistol-dagger is a masterwork of Moroccan sword-smith art probably used for a royal presentation!.

Size: length: 21" (66 cm.).

Blade's length: 17" (53.5 cm.). This pistol-dagger is a museum art piece and unique!!

Provenance: Dr. Veleanu's collection, the author of the collectors' textbook: "Antique swords and daggers".

Title: 17th. century Moroccan ivory dagger-pistol with coral and turquoise decorations

Materials: Ivory, turquoise, coral

-

Description: 18th.-19th. century Moroccan silver flintlock pistol decorated with turquoise and carnelian stones. This pistol was created by a team of master craftsmen artists for a royal or a chieftain use. The entire surface is covered in solid silver hand chiseled with intricate floral design typical for the Islamic art. The trigger, matchlock and the muzzle are made from iron and have slight rust on the surface. Several turquoise and carnelian semi-precious stones are inlaid in the silver body and the handle of the pistol. This is an exquisite, rare antique art object from Morocco.

Length: 18.5" (48 cm.).

Year: Circa 1780

Today several countries on the continent manufacture modern weapons, but these are generally license-built examples in many cases.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apocalypse
Member # 8587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apocalypse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know the specific name for the lance/spear that the Hausa Calvalry is brandishing but it looks like it can inflict a nasty wound.

-

Posts: 1038 | From: Franklin Park, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Up! By the way, I can't help but notice that Confirmed-Idiot is just mad becuz his "spear chucker" myth has been exploded. Also, it wasn't like gun technology was invented by his European brethren to begin with. [Big Grin]
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Well Confirmed like what was said by posters above these weapons kept invaders at bay for thousands of yrs or at-least gave them cause for pause.
The King of the Ethiopians advises the King of the Persians to bring overwhelming odds to attack the long-lived Ethiopians when the Persians can draw a bow of this length as easily as I do; but until then, to thank the gods who do not incite the sons of the Ethiopians to add other land to their own.'"

What happened next was well!! disaster and these were called the pupil smiters nearly 2000yrs later defending their lands from Arabs for another 700yrs so yes the there is a lot to celebrate the same can be said of the reason why one celebrate the Samurai swords of the Japanese and the cross bows of the Turks. make use of the links for the weapons are works of art in of themselves.

Btw Aegis missiles only exist at a certain point in time just like the development of the gun.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
^^^^^^Speaking of guns though, not to interrupt the flow, but do any Africans at all yet manufacture their own guns? Do they even not yet manufacture the cheaper ones?

South Africa does dun't'it?

Edit:

Nevermind, Ethiopia locally produces, as does South Africa, as does Sudan's MIC, as does Nigeria have a mass produced OBJ-006 -- the Nigerian Kalash (AK47).

ghana does. i know west africa and some kingdoms and empires made guns before the europeans came in the late 1800's,but for more update guns,yes,nigeria,south africa,ghana and some others do make more modern guns.
Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
as does Nigeria have a mass produced OBJ-006 -- the Nigerian Kalash (AK47).

Perspective

-

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com