EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: For better or worse til death...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: For better or worse til death...
Apocalypse
Member # 8587

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Apocalypse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Heart Warming story. The world's 2nd longest lasting marriage.

quote:
Who better to give relationship advice, than Craven County, North Carolina natives, Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher? (Read more about them here.)

The Fishers were married May 13, 1924. They have maintained their marriage through WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, the Great Depression, the Civil Rights Movement, fifteen presidents, the moon landing, five children and several grand and greatgrand children, and the invention of Google, Facebook, and Twitter.

The record for the longest married couple is held by an Indian couple, Philipose and Sosamma Thomas who were marreid 86 years and 128 days.

When interviewed back in 2008, they admitted that they both share the title boss. They are members of different churches and attend separately on Sunday mornings.

The Fishers rarely argued, according to the article:

Norma Godette, one of the couple's five children. said her parents have gotten along well through the years. "One time, mama wanted to work. Daddy told her she could not work, that he could take care of the family. She slipped down to Cherry Point and got a job as a caretaker there," Godette said. "Well, it was done; she got the job. I had to let it be," Herbert said.

According to The Sun, and just in time for Valentine's Day, the couple will share with the world their love story, and advice on how to make your relationship work. When every other day you hear the stories about the affairs of politicians and issues of domestic violence, what a wonderful way to celebrate enduring love. Their healthy marriage helped raise five college educated children.

In conjunction with www.blinkbox.com, the couple dubbed "America's Tweethearts" will answer relationship questions in a Twitter chat on Valentine's day via@longestmarried. The Fishers even have a Facebook page here. If you have a question for the couple you must have it in by February 12th

-

http://www.examiner.com/x-18286-Charlotte-Womens-Relationship-Advice-Examiner~y2010m2d10-Hes-104-and-shes-102-Herbert-and-Zelmyra-Fisher-have-been-married-85-years

Posts: 1038 | From: Franklin Park, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A beautiful love story.

And "good" genes; 100 years old and looking that good! Thank God for Melanin. [Smile]

Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigantic
Member # 17311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gigantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^most certainly a beautiful story to see a marriage last that long. That is a rarity, especially in the US. As for your statement re: Melanin -

Oldest American Mary Josephine Ray (114 years old) and Daisey Bailey ('only' 113) die on same day

Oh yea! here is a pix of Mary:

Mary

-

You are one ignorant dude.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/03/08/2010-03-08_mary_josephine_ray_oldest_woman_in_united_states_dies_at_114.html?ref=rss

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homeylu
Member # 4430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homeylu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And she looks every bit of 115 years old, God rest her soul. [Smile] TG for Melanin.
Posts: 747 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apocalypse
Member # 8587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apocalypse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
homeylu wrote:
quote:
And "good" genes; 100 years old and looking that good! Thank God for Melanin.
[Smile] They do look good for that age. God bless them all - Mary Josephine too.
Posts: 1038 | From: Franklin Park, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gigantic
Member # 17311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gigantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh? She is 115 yrs old now heh. Keep it up dude. Keep it up.

quote:
Originally posted by homeylu:
And she looks every bit of 115 years old, God rest her soul. [Smile] TG for Melanin.

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary, po' thang, had to use a cane to walk.
Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grumman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ yeah the rug was snatched out from under her 71 days before the 115th date.
Posts: 2118 | From: midwest, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gruman is that you in that Pic...lollolol
Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
While I don't plan on living to be nearly 115 I do believe I will make it to 100; that will be in 33 years.

You'll be pushing up daisies long, long before that. No need to start sweating it just yet though. [Wink]

My oldest daughter is panicking already and she just turned 37 last month; does that age ring a bell my man? if not, it will; assuming you haven't passed it already.

AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumman:
While I don't plan on living to be nearly 115 I do believe I will make it to 100; that will be in 33 years.

You'll be pushing up daisies long, long before that. No need to start sweating it just yet though. [Wink]

Yea, we're all going to die 2012, remember?
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Not me. I didn't see the movie.
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

My oldest daughter is panicking already and she just turned 37 last month; does that age ring a bell my man? if not, it will; assuming you haven't passed it already.

Why panic at 37?
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why panic at 37?
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Metinoot, to me , it has nothing to do with the age except as a linear progression; it is inevitable.

Jari-ankhamun and MindoverMatter718 rib me about being 67 years old, as if that is supposed to mean something to me; I accept it good naturedly believe me. They are the ones concerned about it it seems; I know why but that's another story. [Wink] The wink is intended for the two posters.

So, in my effort, probably not understood by either of the two, to point out a meaningless age jab, and that it falls on deaf ears, mine, maybe another approach can be tried (by the two).

Age has no meaning for me; it's a non issue in matters that pertains to concepts in the overall scheme of things. I know who I am, they evidently don't know who they are or what they will be in short order, relatively speaking.

That's where the 37 year old mark comes in. It was and is an arbitrary figure that my daughter happens to be sitting on at the present. So I used her as an example to clear the above two posters muddled understanding of the age concept and its relativity. So you can see it isn't a meaningful number in and of itself. I used it simply to illustrate that depending on your surroundings, even an age of 37 can be old to some of those in that relative surrounding. It means my daughter seemingly is concerned about getting old; the posters mentoned above maybe will understand what I'm talking about since they bring it up. And I have no way of knowing 'how old' the two are. Even if I knew how old they are, as opposed to and compared to what 'age,' it would still be a non issue with me.

Seen another way its quite possible to be 37 and not be old as long as that age group stays away from the age group who happen to be 23 or 24 or 25.... [Wink]

Finally, Jari-anhamun and MindoverMatter718 you have my blessing to continue to call me oldtimer. But be advised when you do use it it means your argument and your position in it has unravelled.

Peace for you two in your struggles for certainty.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:

Why panic at 37?
I can only talk about this from my own perspective when I was aged 37. It appears to me that after 35 we have a tendency to compare ourselves to other people our age.

When you hear about people in the media around that age it appears that many of them are more accomplished then yourselve. And as a result, you wonder what are you doing wrong in your life which can account to your "slow" start in comparison to the people you hear about from the media--eventhough you may have a good job/career and making a good living.

As a result, we put pressure on ourselves trying to answer the question "am I doing what I need to do to be me?"; and "have I made all the aacomplishments I should have made in comparison to others?".

The good news is that by the age 40 you realize that everyone is different and as a result, we learn to stop comparing ourselves with others and moving along with the flow of life.

I hope this helped answer your question.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Metinoot, to me , it has nothing to do with the age except as a linear progression; it is inevitable.

Jari-ankhamun and MindoverMatter718 rib me about being 67 years old, as if that is supposed to mean something to me; I accept it good naturedly believe me. They are the ones concerned about it it seems; I know why but that's another story. [Wink] The wink is intended for the two posters.

So, in my effort, probably not understood by either of the two, to point out a meaningless age jab, and that it falls on deaf ears, mine, maybe another approach can be tried (by the two).

Age has no meaning for me; it's a non issue in matters that pertains to concepts in the overall scheme of things. I know who I am, they evidently don't know who they are or what they will be in short order, relatively speaking.

That's where the 37 year old mark comes in. It was and is an arbitrary figure that my daughter happens to be sitting on at the present. So I used her as an example to clear the above two posters muddled understanding of the age concept and its relativity. So you can see it isn't a meaningful number in and of itself. I used it simply to illustrate that depending on your surroundings, even an age of 37 can be old to some of those in that relative surrounding. It means my daughter seemingly is concerned about getting old; the posters mentoned above maybe will understand what I'm talking about since they bring it up. And I have no way of knowing 'how old' the two are. Even if I knew how old they are, as opposed to and compared to what 'age,' it would still be a non issue with me.

Seen another way its quite possible to be 37 and not be old as long as that age group stays away from the age group who happen to be 23 or 24 or 25.... [Wink]

Finally, Jari-anhamun and MindoverMatter718 you have my blessing to continue to call me oldtimer. But be advised when you do use it it means your argument and your position in it has unravelled.

I celebrate your age. back in the 1960"s all my real friends were killed due to gang violence As a result, I was sure I would not live past 21. But I did.

As a result, for you to reach this age is grand. Because we know that the possibility for many AAs to reach this age is full of danger, due to the anger of many young men that lead them to shoot and injure members of their cohort and others.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Hello Mr. Winters.
While I have seen some violence growing up in a big city in the 50s and 60s I didn't experience what some did in other cities, namely New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles. That is I've never personally been caught up in gang violence. Speaking of which I don't ever recall gangs in the city I grew up in; at least not in the sense they are understood today. [Frown] (That ''big'' city will be 187 miles south, southeast of you.}

That said, I have witnessed on a few occasions while I was 9-11 years old what people can do to one another and have seen this behavior close up, that is standing a few feet away from the violence. This type of violence didn't involve guns at all (which were rare back then within my immediate frame of reference). But, a straight razor and a ''butcher'' knife were the weapons of choice; I know you know that term. [Smile]

That violence couldn't have involved me in anyway because this particular brand was what ''grownups'' did to each other, not what ten and eleven year old kids do. Very searing images indeed.

Yet those searing images from childhood days have no meaning to me at all (today) as a psychological unit except to say it's what my frame of reference was at that particular time.

I can only imagine what it was you had to endure. Sorry you had to go through that.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Thanks for the support. I am glad you didn't experience these things.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The reason I "rib" you about being an ol' timer is because a lot of the times when people are set in their own ways for a long time with their own views and ideas on things, it's becomes hard for them to accept anything new that might challenge or change that view. You know the saying, "cant teach an old dog new tricks". [Wink]
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Your problem with me isn't your ''old dog new tricks'' characterization, it's my embarrasing questions. Speaking of which I have a whole host of 'em if need be.

Speaking of ''old dogs'' as free a thinker as I am you have the temerity to apply that to me. Buy yourself another mirror junior but be sure you buy one much bigger than pocket size; that way you won't be able to put it in your back pocket when you sit down. [Wink]

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From reading the various posts on this topic, I can tell that I am probably the youngest one here, and I have to say, I feel like Clyde Winter already. Not because of watching the media, which is about as selective as one can get, but I expect the best of myself, and I always feel that I can do more, or perform better. Hence the multitude of projects I'm working on in my spare time.

Anyway, personally, I think that there is nothing more satisfying than looking back on a succesful and accomplished life, and seeing your children and grandchildren grow up and being able to teach them everything you know. Knowing that some things they will accept and some things they will reject, and perhaps come back later to agree with you when life experience caught up with them. I embrace that part of my lifespan that will inevitably occur, assuming something doesn't happen to end my life pre-maturely.

That being said, I still enjoy poking fun at my elders (in a respectful manner of course) for turning gray, I do this with my mother all the time and she basically says the exact same thing as Grumman.

Kalonjiy

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Come on Gruman don't you know how fun it is being young these days, we have the internet, Ipods, Fast Cars, Girls wear skimpy clothes, and Spring Break. My Mom is 55 yrs old my dad 59. Im not worried about Age and No Im not 37 although I have friends who are 34 35. My Mom usually watches the stuff yall had back then..me and my brother cal them "Aint Jamiama shows" LOL...Stanford and Son, the Jeffersons, Good Times..LOL..Tan God I was born in the 80s/90s..No Aint Jamiama shows..LOL
Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

quote:
Your problem with me isn't your ''old dog new tricks'' characterization, it's my embarrasing questions. Speaking of which I have a whole host of 'em if need be.

Yea, you usually do embarrass yourself with the questions you ask, couldn't agree more, well said Grumman.
Grumman
Member # 14051

Rate Member
Jari-ankhamun says,
''Come on Gruman don't you know how fun it is being young these days, we have the internet, Ipods, Fast Cars, Girls wear skimpy clothes, and Spring Break.''

What fast cars might you be talking about. There were no GTOs and SS396s and dodge Hemis and other types in your time period. You still ain't original brother, get over it, you late. [Smile]

With the exception of the internet some things never change. So you see your generation had no exclusive lock on anything; you guys simply repeated what others did long before you came on the scene. Tough being hand-me-downs isn't it. Oh wait, your generation was into heavy drug use, my bad. [Wink] You guys really improved on that. On second thought maybe your generation didn't: the late 60s and early 70s were full of burnt out youngsters; my bad on that too.

''Im not worried about Age and No Im not 37...''

...but you aren't 25 anymore. Gettin' scary ain't it. Everyday you lose one.

''...although I have friends who are 34 35.''

You don't reckon they talk behind your back and say you're too young do you. Sometimes old folk say younger folk aren't very reliable. I don't say that... but some do. You know anyhting about that. [Wink]

''My Mom usually watches the stuff yall had back then..me and my brother cal them "Aint Jamiama shows" LOL...Stanford and Son, the Jeffersons, Good Times..LOL..Tan God I was born in the 80s/90s..No Aint Jamiama shows..LOL''

Yeah, they were funny shows. Too bad I haven't seen anything in the past few years that would match that comedy above. I tried to watch some of the contemporary black comedy shows but gave up after struggling with the forced comedy; I haven't been back since. Looney tunes with Bugs and the gang are much better at it. No offense by the way.

But in fairness I shouldn't say all the present Black comedy shows aren't funny because I don't really know that. But the couple I did check out were lacking; I don't like being ''asked'' to laugh at anything when it should come natural.

You need to go further back in televison to the early 50s to really understand what an ''Ain't Jemima'' show was all about; your local library will help you considerably on this score.

You'd really have cause for concern with shows like In Trouble With Father and Amos and Andy. And surely you need to watch Birth of a Nation from the early 1900s to really get a feel for your Aunt Jemima show. (Actually it's a movie.)

But since you were born in the ''80s and 90s'' then its obvious where your confusion comes in; carried over to this day hasn't it junior. No need to fight on this one; take it on the chin like a man.

MindoverMatter718:

''Yea, you usually do embarrass yourself with the questions you ask, couldn't agree more, well said Grumman.''

Nice spin. But it's embarrassing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com