EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The Last Racebender Or Is It? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Last Racebender Or Is It?
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure some of you have heard that Paramount Pictures has produced a live action version of a popular Nickelodeon cartoon series called 'Avatar: the Last Airbender'. The movie title was cut short to 'The Last Airbender' so as not to be confused with the movie 'Avatar'. For those of you who aren't familiar with the cartoon, the series takes place in a fantasy world that is entirely based on Asian cultures and people. Well not surprisingly, Hollywack decided to whitewash the movie by using white actors to play the starring roles. Not only are the stars white, but the only asians in the movie are either extras or minor supporting characters!

You can read more about this typical Hollywack travesty here: http://www.racebending.com/v3/

-

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow what a Joke.

I can't help but shake my head and laugh at this.

Just goes to show you that Hollycrap is continuing there Fantasy of cultures and not reality.

This could of been done by Indian and Asian(Chinese, Japanese, Filapinos etc) Sadly we see what hollycrap is really about, it's about making the europeans feel better about themselves and make it look like the only heroes are White or European people. Really you laugh because you wonder who they are trying to fool with stories like this?

Of course You can also say that ASIANS have SLANTED eyes mostly, yet they always draw there characters with big eyes. So really you can't get too angry at the hollycrap because the Asians are not being true to themselves.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -
Ghingiz Khan and Attila the Hun and just to rub it in they did a remake so-called more modern
 -
And people say we protest too much.. will it ever end.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brada-Anansi

Well Brada, The only way this will end is with the people uniting against these corrupt hollycrap peoples. Protest peacefully is the thing we need to see. Until Asians and others defend there heritage instead of always letting Euros teach their history this will always be the outcome.

The truth is that this stuff is done to keep us preocupied with mindless dumb movies that only look to make heroes of Whites. Meanwhile the mass struggle to survive. White people are comitting suicide at a higher rate then others and people don't seem to see that we must try to stop these kind of harmful behaviors.

The sad truth is we see silence when these movies come out. So hollycrap continues to push out these movies knowing there will be no backlash. SOmething needs to be done.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalAfrikanSupremacy
Member # 16906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalAfrikanSupremacy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avatar the Last Airbender and Naruto are some of my favorite animes. Thanks for posting this, I don't know if I am going to see it or not now. I want to see it because the storyline is pretty good but I don't want to see white people in an Asian oriented movie.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalAfrikanSupremacy
Member # 16906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalAfrikanSupremacy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fire Nation committed NUMEROUS acts of genocide and they even wiped out Aang's entire race. The Fire nation also destroyed the Southern Water tribe and they look to colonize the entire world. If anything, the fire nation should have been played by white people since 'Western civilization' has acted most like the fire nation with the Air Nomads, Water Tribe, and Earth Kingdom have acted like Native Americans, Inuits, and Asians victims of 'Western civilizatons/ fire nations tyranny. The underlining message of the orignal cartoon was how DESTRUCTIVE 'western civilization' has been and this point was conveyed through the fire nation and their genocides, enslavement and oppression of the other races of people in the world. But now the movie has changed the entire message of the movie by having the Fire nation played by Asians while the victims of the Fire Nations tyranny(air nomads, earth kingdom..etc) played by white people.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalAfrikanSupremacy
Member # 16906

Rate Member
For those who don't know what Avatar the Last air-bender is about let me give you a quick overview.

The story takes place in a fictional universe were there are four races of people.

The Air Nomads
The Fire Nation
The Earth Kingdom
The Water Tribe

The Air Nomads have the ability to bend Air in order to fight.

The Fire nation has the ability to utilize/ bend Fire in order to fight.

The Earth Kingdom has the ability to move rocks, boulders..etc in order to fight.

The Water tribe has the ability to use water in order to fight.

The Fire Nation for three generations now has been looking to colonize all of the other races. It all started over 100 years from the start of the series when a Fire King named 'Fire Lord Sozin' saw how prosperous his nation was. He viewed the other races as being savages and he looked to expand his nation in order to ' share this prosperity' with the rest of the world and bring them civilization.

Now the Avatar is a person that is supposed to keep peace and balance between the four races. The avatar is reincarnated into various races/nations everytime he dies.

The first avatar is born into the earth kingdom, then the fire nation, then the air nomads, then the white tribe and the cycles continues until he dies.

The avatar has the ability to fight using all four elements.

The Avatar who was born BEFORE Aang, was actually a Fire bender who was friends with Fire Lord Sozin the man who started the war.

After the previous Avatar began his training, their friendship deteriorated overtime.

Then the Fire Lord who started the war approached the previous Avatar about wiping out all of the other races.

The previous Avatar(the one before Aang) whose destiny was to keep balance between the four different races rejected the idea and they ended up fighting. The Avatar won the fight but he decided to spare the Fire Lord's life in the name of their past friendship.

About ten years later the previous Avatar( the one before Aang) was caught in a Volcano. The Fire Lord Sozin at first wanted to help his old friend but the Avatar was weakened and he put out his hand so that Fire Lord Sozin who take him to a safer place but he refused. And he told the previous Avatar (the one before Aang) that if he was died all of his plans to colonize the world would be realized.

Fire Lord Sozin knew that the Avatar would be born in the Air Nomads so he wiped out the entire Air Nomad nation. But Avatar Aang who was 12 years old was just informed that he was the avatar so he had to undergo vigorous training. He could not take the training so he decided to run away from his nation and it was just before the Fire Nation committed an act of genocide before the Air Nomads. When Avatar Aang ran away he was caught in a blizard and encased in an iceburg.

At the start of the series, Aang is fought by two people from the water race and they break him out of the iceburg.

They are surprised to see him because they believed all of the Air Nomads were extincted.

He soon finds out he was in that iceburg for over a 100 years and during this 100 years the fire nation has colonized and subjugated many other races.

So it's the Avatar's job to fight and kill the New fire lord(Fire Lord Ozai).

Now on the other side of town in the fire nation, the Fird Lord's son is named Prince Zuko. He was banished from his nation.He disrespected a general when the general said he would sacrfice new army recruits to create a distraction while more experienced veterans used that opportunity to wipe out earth kingdom soldiers.

Prince Zuko spoke out against the idea and he was punished because of his disrespect of the general. His father, Fire Lord Ozai challenged him to a duel but Prince Zuko refused to fight his own father. Fire Lord OZai said that by refusing to fight him he had shown shameful weakness and he shot a fire bolt to Zuko's eye. Then he banished him and said the only way he could come back home was if he captured the new Avatar Aang.

So Zuko is on a quest to capture Avatar Aang.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Good and accurate write up

In the case of avatar, I would have to say that the makers have more or less the right to portray the characters how they want to since they are Americans, not Asians. The world, as shown in various maps in the animation, is an alternative reality, and the geographical landscape is not like the planet earth. The inhabitants of the avatar world mostly look like the plentiful asian variants. Including (very rarely) the brownish hindu type, yet never black, but mostly the characters look like ''Afghani'' or Iranian peoples, (saying European is unnessecary, since asians have the phenotype too) with sporadic east ''Asian phenotypes''. I think therefore, that the problem lies a little bit more in how the characters are drawn from the get go, rather than a intentionally wrong selection of the actors. I think the fear of losing the familiarity the fans have with the faces of the characters definitely played a role during the selection, but as I've said, asians carry the phenotypes too. So if they really wanted to stay true to what the animation stands for, a little more effort would be all that was needed. But unfortionately, effort in accurate depictions is not what Hollywood is known for.

Other questionable depictions:
DRAGON BALL Z
 -

KUNG FU (tv serie)
 -
Interesting fact:
^He (David Carradine) was chosen in favor of Bruce Lee. The widow of Bruce Lee said that Warner Bros stole the concept from Bruce Lee.

In her memoirs, Bruce Lee's widow, Linda Lee Cadwell, asserts that Lee created the concept for the series, which was then stolen by Warner Bros.[3]

In a December 8, 1971 television interview on The Pierre Berton Show, Bruce Lee himself makes reference to both Warner Brothers and Paramount wanting him to do a TV series. After Pierre Berton comments, "there's a pretty good chance that you'll get a TV series in the States called "The Warrior", in it, where you use what, the Martial Arts in Western setting?"

Lee responds, "that was the original idea, ...both of them (Warner and Paramount), I think, they want me to be in a modernized type of a thing, and they think that "The Western" type of thing is out. Whereas I want to do the Western. Because, you see, how else can you justify all of the punching and kicking and violence, except in the period of the west?"

Later in the interview, Berton asks Lee about "the problems that you face as a Chinese hero in an American series. Have people come up in the industry and said 'well, we don't know how the audience are going to take a non-American'"?.

Lee responds "Well, such question has been raised, in fact, it is being discussed. That is why "The Warrior" is probably not going to be on." Lee adds, "They think that business wise it is a risk. I don't blame them. If the situation were reversed, and an American star were to come to Hong Kong, and I was the man with the money, I would have my own concerns as to whether the acceptance would be there."[4]
What Lee called "The Warrior" and "Kung Fu" shared the idea of a lead character in a TV series who performs Martial Arts in a Western setting.

Based on Lee's comments to Berton, he was talking to both Warner Brothers and Paramount about "The Warrior" as late as December 1971.

Hercules (tv serie)
 -
Blond Hercules and Iolaus?
GTFOH!!

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:

-  -
Ghingiz Khan and Attila the Hun and just to rub it in they did a remake so-called more modern
 -
And people say we protest too much.. will it ever end.

"Yellow-face" is what they call the asian version of "black-face" in Hollywood. Though the problem here is that the actors are not in yellow-face at all. They are obviously white and only dress in asian attire and live in asian cultures. As one of the leading people in racebending.com says, this is the equivalent of making a movie that takes place in an African based fantasy world where the natural environments are African, the architecture is Africa, the clothing, food, everything, but the actors portraying the characters are white! This reminds me how the author and comic book artist Neil Gaiman was offered a deal to turn his novel 'Anansi Boys' into a movie. 'Anansi Boys' is a fictional story about two boys who find out they are the descendants of the West African spider god Anansi. Gaiman turned them down though, when he found out that either they would make the actors white OR just drop all the magical elements in the story altogether!! Gaiman actually told them to "bugger off", and I don't blame him! I mean what kind of sh*t is that? White sons of an African god!

LOL It's as if Hollywood refuses to have any fantasy movie unless it stars whites. Why even the fantasy genre of books are dominated by white characters in European inspired fantasy worlds. Yet when you have a fantasy story that is obviously non-European inspired or features non-whites then it becomes "speculative fiction" or something like that! It is absolute ludicrous!

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GlobalAfrikanSupremacy:

Avatar the Last Airbender and Naruto are some of my favorite animes. Thanks for posting this, I don't know if I am going to see it or not now. I want to see it because the storyline is pretty good but I don't want to see white people in an Asian oriented movie.

Actually 'Airbender' is not anime. Anime by definition is japanese animation, though some want to expand it to Korean animation since the styles are based on the same manga (korean manwa) drawing techniques. The 'Airbender' series is American and was created by two white American guys-- Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, although the animators were Korean!

I myself do NOT want to see this movie at all and would rather protest it for the blatant racism it represents!
quote:
For those who don't know what Avatar the Last air-bender is about let me give you a quick overview.

The story takes place in a fictional universe were there are four races of people.

The Air Nomads
The Fire Nation
The Earth Kingdom
The Water Tribe

The Air Nomads have the ability to bend Air in order to fight.

The Fire nation has the ability to utilize/ bend Fire in order to fight.

The Earth Kingdom has the ability to move rocks, boulders..etc in order to fight.

The Water tribe has the ability to use water in order to fight.

The Fire Nation for three generations now has been looking to colonize all of the other races. It all started over 100 years from the start of the series when a Fire King named 'Fire Lord Sozin' saw how prosperous his nation was. He viewed the other races as being savages and he looked to expand his nation in order to ' share this prosperity' with the rest of the world and bring them civilization.

Now the Avatar is a person that is supposed to keep peace and balance between the four races. The avatar is reincarnated into various races/nations everytime he dies.

The first avatar is born into the earth kingdom, then the fire nation, then the air nomads, then the white tribe and the cycles continues until he dies.

The avatar has the ability to fight using all four elements.

The Avatar who was born BEFORE Aang, was actually a Fire bender who was friends with Fire Lord Sozin the man who started the war.

After the previous Avatar began his training, their friendship deteriorated overtime.

Then the Fire Lord who started the war approached the previous Avatar about wiping out all of the other races.

The previous Avatar(the one before Aang) whose destiny was to keep balance between the four different races rejected the idea and they ended up fighting. The Avatar won the fight but he decided to spare the Fire Lord's life in the name of their past friendship.

About ten years later the previous Avatar( the one before Aang) was caught in a Volcano. The Fire Lord Sozin at first wanted to help his old friend but the Avatar was weakened and he put out his hand so that Fire Lord Sozin who take him to a safer place but he refused. And he told the previous Avatar (the one before Aang) that if he was died all of his plans to colonize the world would be realized.

Fire Lord Sozin knew that the Avatar would be born in the Air Nomads so he wiped out the entire Air Nomad nation. But Avatar Aang who was 12 years old was just informed that he was the avatar so he had to undergo vigorous training. He could not take the training so he decided to run away from his nation and it was just before the Fire Nation committed an act of genocide before the Air Nomads. When Avatar Aang ran away he was caught in a blizard and encased in an iceburg.

At the start of the series, Aang is fought by two people from the water race and they break him out of the iceburg.

They are surprised to see him because they believed all of the Air Nomads were extincted.

He soon finds out he was in that iceburg for over a 100 years and during this 100 years the fire nation has colonized and subjugated many other races.

So it's the Avatar's job to fight and kill the New fire lord(Fire Lord Ozai).

Now on the other side of town in the fire nation, the Fird Lord's son is named Prince Zuko. He was banished from his nation.He disrespected a general when the general said he would sacrfice new army recruits to create a distraction while more experienced veterans used that opportunity to wipe out earth kingdom soldiers.

Prince Zuko spoke out against the idea and he was punished because of his disrespect of the general. His father, Fire Lord Ozai challenged him to a duel but Prince Zuko refused to fight his own father. Fire Lord OZai said that by refusing to fight him he had shown shameful weakness and he shot a fire bolt to Zuko's eye. Then he banished him and said the only way he could come back home was if he captured the new Avatar Aang.

So Zuko is on a quest to capture Avatar Aang.

Now that you've given an excellent summary of the story, let me give you a summary of what Hollwack did! First off, let me say that the creators Mike and Bryan have NOTHING to do with the casting for the movie. All they did was sell the movie rights, and unfortunately they naively had no idea that Paramount was going to pervert it the way they have. The casting call for the movie specifically said "Caucasian or any other ethnicity". So right off the bat 'caucasians' were first and foremost as they usually are with every other Hollywack movie. For the inconsequential background actors, Paramount’s casting call requested “Near Eastern, Middle Eastern, Far Eastern, Asian, Mediterranean, and Latino.” The casting director Deedee Ricketts stated that "we want the world of the Last Airbender to be diverse". Of course in white racist code that means we'll have people of color but they'll all be minor parts. The caucasian applicants were not mentioned in the first extras casting calls but were requested later in the months following Deedee Ricketts’ initial cast calls. Little known actors Nicola Peltz and Jackson Rathbone were chosen to play Katara and Sokka respectively. Rathbone had a stint in the movie 'Twilight' and Peltz had a couple of movies I've never heard of or seen. Some kid from Texas who is a karate champion was chosen to play Aang though he had no prior acting experience. And the part of Zuko originally went to teen pop star Jesse McCartney! Due to some schedule conflict with McCartney, he was dropped and replaced by Deve Patel from 'Slumdog Millionaire'. Apparently the whole villainous genocidal Fire Nation became populated by dark-skinned actors of Indian, Polynesian, etc. descent. If I didn't know any better I'd say the director M. Night Shyamalan had a hand in this.

Thus the demography of the 4 nations went like so:

Air Nomads: all white
Water Tribes: mostly white with a few asians.
Earth Kingdom: asians, black, others..
Fire Nation: dark-skinned peoples mostly Indian.

As you can see the two nations which the protagonists come from is mostly white. The Earth Kingdom which is in process of being conquered has people of color mostly asians and blacks while the wicked Fire Nation are all dark complexioned (compared to whites).

Villians
 -
 -
 -

When the complaints rained in on Paramount especially from racebending.com, they gave the following response:

March 25, 2009

Dear Mr. Aoki,

Thank you for your letter and interest in our film.

As devoted fans of the original series, our goal is to create a film that will not only live up to the expectations of the television series’ fan base, but also expand it to a world-wide audience in ways that only a full-length motion picture can offer.

From the outset of the creative process, the Producers and the Director have envisioned embodying the Airbender universe with a large and ethnically diverse cast that represents many different heritages and cultures from all corners of the globe.

The Director’s vision for this film is one of world, influenced and inspired by the Asian undertones of the series, and that is both diverse and inclusive in the make up of the four nations represented in the film’s cinematic world.

Early casting includes an Indian actor, born in Mumbai and raised in the UK and the US; a Persian actor born in Tehran and raised in the UK, Switzerland and the US; a Maori actor born and raised in New Zealand; a Korean-American actor, born and raised in Chicago; an American actress of Italian, French and Mexican heritage; among several others of varied nationalities from around the world.

The four nations represented in the film reflect not one community, but the world’s citizens. These societies will be cast from a diversity of all races and cultures.
In particular, the Earth Kingdom will be cast with Asian, East Asian and
Africans.

With this global perspective in mind, we believe we can best honor the true themes, ethos and fantastical nature of the Airbender stories and best capture the spirit and scale of the series to appeal to its worldwide fans.

Our challenge and commitment to our film audience is to harness all the elements that have made the series the incredible phenomenon it is.

We look forward to introducing you to THE LAST AIRBENDER next summer.

Sincerely,

The Producers

^ In other words, typical Hollywack bullsh*t!

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kalonji:

Good and accurate write up

In the case of avatar, I would have to say that the makers have more or less the right to portray the characters how they want to since they are Americans, not Asians. The world, as shown in various maps in the animation, is an alternative reality, and the geographical landscape is not like the planet earth. The inhabitants of the avatar world mostly look like the plentiful asian variants. Including (very rarely) the brownish hindu type, yet never black, but mostly the characters look like ''Afghani'' or Iranian peoples, (saying European is unnessecary, since asians have the phenotype too) with sporadic east ''Asian phenotypes''. I think therefore, that the problem lies a little bit more in how the characters are drawn from the get go, rather than a intentionally wrong selection of the actors. I think the fear of losing the familiarity the fans have with the faces of the characters definitely played a role during the selection, but as I've said, asians carry the phenotypes too. So if they really wanted to stay true to what the animation stands for, a little more effort would be all that was needed. But unfortionately, effort in accurate depictions is not what Hollywood is known for.

Other questionable depictions:
DRAGON BALL Z
 -

KUNG FU (tv serie)
 -
Interesting fact:
^He (David Carradine) was chosen in favor of Bruce Lee. The widow of Bruce Lee said that Warner Bros stole the concept from Bruce Lee.

In her memoirs, Bruce Lee's widow, Linda Lee Cadwell, asserts that Lee created the concept for the series, which was then stolen by Warner Bros.[3]

In a December 8, 1971 television interview on The Pierre Berton Show, Bruce Lee himself makes reference to both Warner Brothers and Paramount wanting him to do a TV series. After Pierre Berton comments, "there's a pretty good chance that you'll get a TV series in the States called "The Warrior", in it, where you use what, the Martial Arts in Western setting?"

Lee responds, "that was the original idea, ...both of them (Warner and Paramount), I think, they want me to be in a modernized type of a thing, and they think that "The Western" type of thing is out. Whereas I want to do the Western. Because, you see, how else can you justify all of the punching and kicking and violence, except in the period of the west?"

Later in the interview, Berton asks Lee about "the problems that you face as a Chinese hero in an American series. Have people come up in the industry and said 'well, we don't know how the audience are going to take a non-American'"?.

Lee responds "Well, such question has been raised, in fact, it is being discussed. That is why "The Warrior" is probably not going to be on." Lee adds, "They think that business wise it is a risk. I don't blame them. If the situation were reversed, and an American star were to come to Hong Kong, and I was the man with the money, I would have my own concerns as to whether the acceptance would be there."[4]
What Lee called "The Warrior" and "Kung Fu" shared the idea of a lead character in a TV series who performs Martial Arts in a Western setting.

Based on Lee's comments to Berton, he was talking to both Warner Brothers and Paramount about "The Warrior" as late as December 1971.

Hercules (tv serie)
 -
Blond Hercules and Iolaus?
GTFOH!!

^ Of course. The whole 'Kung Fu' series was Bruce Lee's idea and he was for all intensive purposes the producer of the series. He wanted to star in it, but the company didn't think it would "sell" if an Asian were the star even if the series was about Asians in America! This is the mentality that Hollywood still has today.

There was a great series that aired in PBA called 'The Slanted Screen' which talked about the Asian American experience in Hollywood and visual media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6b9nI-5KJk

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Carradine but his fighting was lame, compared to Bruce.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Of course! Speaking of which, there is this Filipino American kid named Perris Aquino who would have made an excellent Aang. For one thing, he is actually skilled in Shaolin wushu similar that which the character of Aang practices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtUhz0SRc-I

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe Hollywood has gotten away with this kind of racist bullshit in the 21st century. I am definitely not going to waste any money on this Airbender movie either.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ My point exactly! It is the 21st century yet racism whether against blacks or asians is alive and well, especially in Hollywack! Just look at the Academy Awards and you'll see that all the black actors/actresses received awards for messed up roles or characters except maybe Jaimie Foxx with his portrayal of Ray Charles. Definitely no asians are nominated as there are virtually NO prominent roles for asians!

Hell, this 'Airbender' movie itself just shows that asians can't even get starring roles in movies about their own cultures! [Eek!]

Now I'm sorry, but that is just F*CKED UP!

The sad part is that these big time Hollywood execs really believe that they wouldn't make much money if the starring roles were given to Asians! They actually think that mainstream America is as racist as they are. What's funny is that the original 'Airbender' cartoon series was the most popular cartoon series in Nickelodeon history, with the vast majority of viewers being white of course. Ironically the majority of protesters against this live action debacle are also white! Does this not say something to these idiotic execs?? To show you just how moronic these guys are, I am reminded of the Disney & Pixar animated movie 'Up' which featured the boyscout character to be Asian American. Again, the execs were afraid that having the child be asian might detract audiences. As if kids would somehow refuse to watch the movie because the kid in it is not white! Suffice to say, the movie was a success even though they kept the kid asian.

My thing is, Hollywood would never do this to blacks that is make a movie so overtly and irrationally racist by casting whites to play roles that were meant for people of color and their respective cultures. We know Hollywood still has prejudice views on blacks but such views are expressed more covertly with movies like 'The Frog Princess'. There is no way Hollyweird would make a fantasy movie with an African cultural setting but make the starring characters white, at least I think they aren't that dumb when you have so-called black leaders like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who are quick to start a million man march on Capital Hill. Then again, you have that Neil Gaiman incident that I mentioned earlier. [Embarrassed]

My point is Asians seem to be the racial group that is easy to discriminate since the asian American community does not have the political and media muscle that African Americans have. I believe that is the ONLY reason why Hollywood has been able to still get away with all the sh*t on asians.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti
quote:
My thing is, Hollywood would never do this to blacks that is make a movie so overtly and irrationally racist by casting whites to play roles that were meant for people of color and their respective cultures. We know Hollywood still has prejudice views on blacks but such views are expressed more covertly with movies like 'The Frog Princess'. There is no way Hollyweird would make a fantasy movie with an African cultural setting but make the starring characters white, at least I think they aren't that dumb when you have so-called black leaders like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who are quick to start a million man march on Capital Hill. Then again, you have that Neil Gaiman incident that I mentioned earlier
Well not quite true they still kinda make Kemites white/whitish..
 -
Night At The Museum
But yes AAs do take to the streets or print to register our displeasure,and as said before when we do that some will frown that we protest too much,but if you don't you get taken for granted I like the fact that we have loud mouths in our corner.. IF NOT NOW!!.. WHEN?..IF NOT ME..WHO?....NO JUSTICES !! NO PEACE!!..POWER DOES NOT RELINQUISH IT SELF VOLUNTARILY IT MUST BE TAKEN.

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

My thing is, Hollywood would never do this to blacks that is make a movie so overtly and irrationally racist by casting whites to play roles that were meant for people of color and their respective cultures.

What; you haven't seen old Hollyweird movies wherein 'whites' paint themselves with black paint to play the role of 'blacks', presumably because 'blacks' were simply too uncivilized to even play themselves, LOL? Does the 60s Othello role played by Lawrence Olivier ring a bell?

quote:

We know Hollywood still has prejudice views on blacks but such views are expressed more covertly with movies like 'The Frog Princess'. There is no way Hollyweird would make a fantasy movie with an African cultural setting but make the starring characters white

Come on now. Don't tell me you haven't seen movies of Ancient Egyptians played by 'white' folks. Remember recent examples, like The Mummy sequels? What cultural setting do you think that belongs to?
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind0verMatter718
Member # 17548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mind0verMatter718     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Out Of Con-TROLL.

1.I am mad that my Caucasian skin is inferior
2.I am mad because i have little dick syndrome
3.I am mad because my daddy ran off
4.I am nad because my homosexual life is trash
5.I am mad because both of my Parents are both a piece of EuroTurds
6.I am mad because I have no job.
7.I am mad because my wife like black cock porn
8.I am mad because that dead dog i love to show was my first sexual partner.
9.I am mad because alot of black people make more money than my whole family
10.I am man because I found out my whole race come from the black African ballsack.

My Love For Recovering-Afroholic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recovering-Afro-holIc
Member # 17311

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So its true Dirk8 you really do love me.
How about a little bootylove about 8:oo?

Let me know now my booty is wet!

Love Recovering-Afroholic

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:21 PM
So what is up with the Egyptian gay love confession?

Dirk8 you are a pure fag, and the same to you Recovering-Afroholic you faggot.

Why not take you gay love confessions elsewhere.

Phuckin Fagsssssss.

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:25 PM
I know I am a gay idiot what is your excuse?

You can say what you want about me and Dirk8.
We are two gay guys just here to keep some drama going. We are lovers true enough, but i am Black and he is white.

We have that jungle fever going on dont we Dirk8?

Any one who dont like it take a lefty.

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:28 PM
Thanks Recovering, I couldnt have said it better myself.LMAO

Who cares what these loons think of our jungle love. I myself have been posting all these pic of my relatives all over Ae and these loons dont recognize it.

The dead dog pic is the pic of the dog i lost my virginity to. hes dead now as you can see, but he was really good as supper.

The pic was after we roasted him and got ready to eat him.

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:32 PM
Thaks Recovering, I couldnt have said it better myself.LMAO

Who cares what these loons think of our jungle love. I myself have been posting all these pic of my relatives all over Ae and these loons dont recognize it.

The dead dog pic is the pic of the dog i lost my virginity to. hes dead now as you can see, but he was really good as supper.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So where did you to "guys" meet?
And was it love at first sight?
How do you guys handle being two gay males of different racial backgrounds and deeply in love?

Why come out on trying to cause mischeif

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:40 PM
How do you guys handle being two gay males of different racial backgrounds and deeply in love?

Well, we first met on stormfront. We were doing our usual "he plays the white racist guy" that hates blacks, and I'd play "the racist black guy that hates blacks' game.
Well, when i first seen how phuckin fat he was on his profile (about 600lbs) i was kinda skeptical on how we could be together with me being a solid(790lbs). we found it difficult to hug or to make love at first without our fat bellies rubbing together. we develope a side movement that we use that i wont go into here.
Well, about the racial tension that we get. It doesnt bother me that I am a white bootyhole chaser. No one bit. But I can see who Dirk8 does being that i dont have that African dick that he though i had.

But we love each other, just see how i praise him on his posts.

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:46 PM
Lmao,Well, about the racial tension that we get. It doesnt bother me that I am a white bootyhole chaser. No one bit. But I can see who Dirk8 does being that i dont have that African dick that he though i had.

Recovering baby, you really know how to rile me up. But I feel the same about you as you feel about me.

The Egyptians were black we all know tha. Me and Recovering come here just to wire up the people here.
They argue when they know they are right, what morons?

Just keep being a troll, and maybe well get some fame!

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 08:54 PM
Dirk8 Im so tender can you hit me now?

I love how we just be trollin all damn day long.
They about to turn off my lights, and my water, and i have no job. My whole life is to spread mischeif and i do it so well.

I will alway and forever be a troll.

Call me out of con-troll

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 09:10 PM
LOL................................................................................................................................................................................. ..............................................................................................

Dirk8

Member # 16568

Rate Member posted 23 March, 2010 11:38 PM

Posts: 1202 | From: Mission Diego | Registered: Apr 2009 | IP: Logged |

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Rate Member posted 24 March, 2010 02:10 PM
I m coming for you wetness right now Recovering!

Please be patient, I get my welfare on the first of the month.- Plus my moms gave me the O.K
Ill ride my bike over Friday @ 9
See ya soon.

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Rate Member posted 25 March, 2010 06:05 PM
Dirk8 will you be her early for this wetness?
I know you gotta turn a few tricks for u get here, but please dont bring that picture of that bloated dead dog again, i hate looking at him while you give me head and eat my azz out.

Bring that one of your mother. Yoy know the one where she has no eyebrows and no teeth I love that one.

See ya soon!

Recovering-Afro-holjc
Member # 17517

Rate Member posted 25 March, 2010 06:21 PM
Dirk8 please dont put our personal conversation up as ammunition for the AfroKings to shoot us with.

10.I am man because I found out my whole race come from the black African ballsack.

Recovering-Afro-holIc
Member # 17311

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Phuckin Fagsssssss.

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

We are two gay guys just here to keep some drama going. We are lovers true enough, but i am Black and he is white.

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Well, we first met on stormfront. We were doing our usual "he plays the white racist guy" that hates blacks, and I'd play "the racist black guy that hates blacks' game.
Well, when i first seen how phuckin fat he was on his profile (about 600lbs) i was kinda skeptical on how we could be together with me being a solid(790lbs). we found it difficult to hug or to make love at first without our fat bellies rubbing together. we develope a side movement that we use that i wont go into here.
Well, about the racial tension that we get. It doesnt bother me that I am a white bootyhole chaser. No one bit. But I can see who Dirk8 does being that i dont have that African dick that he though i had.

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Lmao,Well, about the racial tension that we get. It doesnt bother me that I am a white bootyhole chaser. No one bit. But I can see who Dirk8 does being that i dont have that African dick that he though i had.

Recovering baby, you really know how to rile me up. But I feel the same about you as you feel about me.

The Egyptians were black we all know tha. Me and Recovering come here just to wire up the people here.

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

They about to turn off my lights, and my water, and i have no job. My whole life is to spread mischeif and i do it so well.

Call me out of con-troll

Mazigh
Member # 8621

LOL................................................................................................................................................................................. ..............................................................................................

Dirk8

Member # 16568

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Please be patient, I get my welfare on the first of the month.- Plus my moms gave me the O.K
See ya soon.

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

I know you gotta turn a few tricks for u get here, but please dont bring that picture of that bloated dead dog again, i hate looking at him while you give me head and eat my azz out.

Bring that one of your mother. Yoy know the one where she has no eyebrows and no teeth I love that one.

See ya soon!

Djrk8
Member # 17548

Rate Member posted 25 March, 2010 06:24 PM
I love Me some Homo booty.
Call me the homo rapper

I got an album coming out next month!

Excusive tracks like "Ill Take Yo booty" Hit single debut.

Vote Gay 3008

Djrk8
Member # 17548

Rate Member posted 25 March, 2010 06:35 PM
Recovering-Afroholic please dont put our personal conversation up as ammunition for the AfroKings to shoot us with.

Recovering-Afro-holIc
Member # 17311

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Phuckin Fagsssssss.

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Dirk8
Member # 16568

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

Call me out of con-troll

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Dirk8

Member # 16568

Dirk8
Member # 16568

See ya soon.

Recovering-Afro-holic
Member # 17311

See ya soon!

Posts: 220 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explorer
quote:
What; you haven't seen old Hollyweird movies wherein 'whites' paint themselves with black paint to play the role of 'blacks', presumably because 'blacks' were simply too uncivilized to even play themselves, LOL? Does the 60s Othello role played by Lawrence Olivier ring a bell?
well any movies made today out side the realm of comedies and "Ancient "Egypt(sometimes) would be met with some kind of protest.
 -
Out-side of comedy I just don't see folks letting this fly today.plus back in the day a Black man even touching a white woman on screen was considered scandalous and sensational..so to have a hero a real Black man planting a kiss on a white woman wouldn't fly untill perhaps the late sixties..as a matter of fact the first or amongst time that a Black man straight-up knocked the sh!t out of a White man was the movie Heat of the Night..Sidney Poitier, before that they all got bested or back stabbed someone..not un-like Japanese ww2 soldiers who are always shown sneaking up behind a G.I and bayoneting him in the back or got hit by some stray bullet.

Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would they let "ancient Egypt" played by 'white personalities' fly, even "sometimes"?

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Because many are not sure if Kemites were Blacks??..dispite all evidence to the contrary..a lot still holds to the fake "Egyptians" were off-white.."Nubians" were Black thingy..I believe they are of a minority opinion that's why sometimes there is a strong protest and another time they just sit on their hands.
Explorador
Member # 14778

Honestly, the only thing I think that influences Hollyweird movie makers to refrain from questionable portrayal of other cultures and "minorities", is when they predict that the backlash will spill over to 'white' segments of the society, and hence, hurt their bottom line. Case in point, their usual line of excuse for using 'white' actors where it's not appropriate, is that it wouldn't be well received if they didn't do that...well received by whom else, if not 'whites' of course?
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Yes hurting the bottom line is key and when you have a bunch o pissed off Black protesters out side or in-side disrupting sh!t and making a general nuisance.. people tend not to want to go in and plucked down $11.00 for a movie..that just kills your evening especially if you have a date...the bottom line is key indeed.
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
word!!
quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
Honestly, the only thing I think that influences Hollyweird movie makers to refrain from questionable portrayal of other cultures and "minorities", is when they predict that the backlash will spill over to 'white' segments of the society,

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hammer
Member # 17003

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2036 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I mean Hollywood would never do this to blacks today! I am well aware of the old minstrel movies and other harmful absurdities that Hollywood has produced decades ago.

quote:
Come on now. Don't tell me you haven't seen movies of Ancient Egyptians played by 'white' folks. Remember recent examples, like The Mummy sequels? What cultural setting do you think that belongs to?
Egypt is probably the only exception due to the fact that the general public is ignorant and unaware that Egyptians were black Africans! Hollywood merely exploits this ignorance, although it's probably true that some of these production companies are also ignorant of this fact. Speaking of ignorance, due to the backlash from Airbender fans that Paramount Pictures is getting, no doubt their best bet and perhaps only chance of success with this debauched movie is on audiences who are unaware of the original cartoon series.
Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:

quote:

What; you haven't seen old Hollyweird movies wherein 'whites' paint themselves with black paint to play the role of 'blacks', presumably because 'blacks' were simply too uncivilized to even play themselves, LOL? Does the 60s Othello role played by Lawrence Olivier ring a bell?[/qb]

I mean Hollywood would never do this to blacks today! I am well aware of the old minstrel movies and other harmful absurdities that Hollywood has produced decades ago.

quote:
[qb]Come on now. Don't tell me you haven't seen movies of Ancient Egyptians played by 'white' folks. Remember recent examples, like The Mummy sequels? What cultural setting do you think that belongs to?
Egypt is probably the only exception due to the fact that the general public is ignorant and unaware that Egyptians were black Africans! Hollywood merely exploits this ignorance, although it's probably true that some of these production companies are also ignorant of this fact. Speaking of ignorance, due to the backlash from Airbender fans that Paramount Pictures is getting, no doubt their best bet and perhaps only chance of success with this debauched movie is on audiences who are unaware of the original cartoon series.
Exception or not, what they still do to AE in hollyweird is no different from what they are doing to the likes of characters in "the Last Airbender". Here too, 'whites' are put in roles and cultural settings totally foreign to 'whites'. Ignorance of "the general public" is no excuse for this grotesque distortion of historical reality, and in any case, in the face of all the debates revolving the identity of AEs over the years, how does the "general public" still manage to remain ignorant?!
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignorance is Bliss.

There is no excuse for what they are doing in Hollynonsense, They could easily have actors of Asian and Indian background play the roles of this movie. Instead it's really an all european actors.

Thats just shameful.

But then again if you saw Dragon Ball Z, it should not be surprising.

Peace

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Apparently the Hollywack producers just can't get it that the main reason why these anime and other Asian inspired series were so popular in America was because it was ASIAN and thus something new and I dare say 'exotic' to the American viewers yet it is these cultural differences that made these series more interesting than the typical Western, Euro-inspired stuff. Now Hollywack thinks if they keep some or most of the Asian stuff but make the stars white it can do just as well or better. The answer is obviously NOT!
quote:

Exception or not, what they still do to AE in hollyweird is no different from what they are doing to the likes of characters in "the Last Airbender". Here too, 'whites' are put in roles and cultural settings totally foreign to 'whites'. Ignorance of "the general public" is no excuse for this grotesque distortion of historical reality, and in any case, in the face of all the debates revolving the identity of AEs over the years, how does the "general public" still manage to remain ignorant?!

I concur. There is no difference with the portrayal of characters on "Airbender" and ancient Egypt. But again, I believe the ignorance on a black African Egypt is much more extensive. As far as debates centering on the identity of the AEs over the years, the problem is such debates are out of range of the general public. Just an example, I know many African Americans who thought Egypt was a 'Middle-Eastern' civilization and didn't know that it was begun by indigenous Africans. Whether African Americans, whites, Hispanics, even Asians. Most folks are just unaware of the scholarly debate on ancient Egyptian identity. That's the problem! And that's why the solution should involve disseminating all this stuff we discuss in this forum all the time to the general public somehow.
GlobalAfrikanSupremacy
Member # 16906

Rate Member
Here are interviews with racebending.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1nhC59V5g

GlobalAfrikanSupremacy
Member # 16906

Rate Member
 -
 -

-

quote:
We would like to take a moment, here, to speak briefly about the real world cultures represented within Avatar: The Last Airbender. The only written language represented is classical Chinese. The characters' journey through the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation reveals a wide variety of distinctive East Asian cultures, including Chinese, Korean, Tibetan, Japanese and Vietnamese. The Water Tribe draws from Inuit, Yupik and Pacific Islander cultures. This world features astonishing diversity from all across the Asian continent and all along the Pacific Rim, which is a part of what made it so unique.

There are no equivalents to African or European cultures in the Avatar world. There are no medieval French castles. There are no Egyptian temples. There are no Viking long houses. There are no Malian mosques. Including African American extras in the Earth Kingdom was a deliberate decision, intended to mask the whitewashing of the principle cast.

The MANAA found Paramount's letter as pandering and transparent as we did. They have written a response, which you can read here on their site, but certain sections seem particularly important to point out here:

Thank you for your letter. Because it raises important questions regarding your perceptions of diversity, we are again requesting a meeting to discuss the casting and depiction of cultures in the movie (and your future projects) so this film can truly be the success we all want. We are interested, for instance, in how your ideal of including people from “all corners of the globe” correlates with your casting policies. Specifically seeking out white actors and casting four white leads for what M. Night Shymalan admitted was an “Asian fantasy world” does not celebrate ethnic diversity. Re-casting the sole villainous lead with an actor of color is a concession that results in three heroic nations going to war against an evil nation of color.

After dealing with Hollywood studios for the past 17 years, we are more than familiar with the justifications used to cast white actors instead of actors of color. Other film productions have previously used the same pretexts, touting diversity through the casting of supporting roles--but only after first discriminating in casting the lead roles.

[...]

How can you, in good faith, say you are trying to honor the integrity of the television series by taking a story written with Asian themes, settings, characters, and populating it with white leads—especially when there are so few Asian roles available in Hollywood? You are continuing a generations-long practice of racial discrimination where the opportunity for actors of color to be heroes for a change is taken away (this time in the name of “diversity.”).

The MANAA intends to pursue this matter, but they would very much appreciate any support the Avatar fan community can provide. If you live in the Los Angeles area, their next general meeting will be on May 21st, and they would love to have more fans concerned with this issue attend and share their thoughts.

If you don't live close enough to join them in person, we would encourage you to take a moment to write them a note sharing your thoughts and your support. If you aren't of Asian descent yourself, they would appreciate being told as much -- it's encouraging to know that people of all races are standing by them!

Finally: as we mentioned earlier, producer Frank Marshall has an account on Twitter, which many fans have used to contact him directly regarding this issue. Unfortunately, some fans have chosen to behave in a rude, unhelpful manner, which casts a bad light on all of us and makes our concerns that much easier to dismiss. We would therefore encourage you to use this platform to send polite messages and questions about The Last Airbender and its cast -- perhaps we can drown out the unhelpful negativity and show the producers that we're serious enough about this issue to write about it respectfully.

GlobalAfrikanSupremacy
Member # 16906

Rate Member
However, we are in no way satisfied with the current state of this production or its cast. This isn't the time to stop fighting. If anything, it's a sign that we should fight harder than ever.

• The reasons given for the casting change are dubious at best. As recently as January 30th, McCartney was giving interviews about his intensive Kung Fu training and his excitement about the project. His abrupt departure and immediate replacement with an Asian actor is an obvious reaction to the public outcry regarding the casting. Paramount is trying to pretend that they aren't reacting to your letters, your protests and your criticisms.

• This move reeks of tokenism. Paramount thinks that by including one Asian actor, they'll derail our efforts to push for appropriate casting and to protest their whitewashing of the other three main characters.
quote:

• Their choice of Patel specifically -- the only young, male, Asian actor currently in the public spotlight -- displays a "one size fits all" approach to casting. Patel is Indian, whereas Zuko's culture puts him much closer to Chinese. This is not unlike equating Britain with Italy, and has angered and insulted many of our supporters.

• Assuming the rest of the Fire Nation is cast in kind, we're now presented with a world in which a race of dark-skinned South Asians are the villains. While Prince Zuko is later redeemed, in this first film Zuko is still very much the "bad guy," who will be chasing and threatening three white heroes. • We still have two white actors playing Inuit teenagers. And changing the appearance of those actors so that they more closely resemble their characters, which actor Jackson Rathbone has already suggested, would be offensive and completely unacceptable.
First of all, we want to stress that we're very happy for Dev Patel. He's an excellent young actor and well-qualified for the role -- in addition to his recent film, he's a Taekwondo champion, and we're glad to see an Asian actor join the cast. First of all, we want to stress that we're very happy for Dev Patel. He's an excellent young actor and well-qualified for the role -- in addition to his recent film, he's a Taekwondo champion, and we're glad to see an Asian actor join the cast.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^
The following below was written by an African American woman entitled 'My Few Cents on The Last Airbender':

"I don't know how else to say this, but when I first heard about the casting for TLAB, I was shocked but not surprised!! The shock mainly came from the fact that the director (Shyamalan) is a man of color himself. You would think the guy had enough sense and decency to cast all Asians if not make Asians the starring roles. But NO! His ass had to be a big SELL OUT! And yes that is exactly what he is!! The movie Dragonball Evolution is one thing-- since most live-action American movies based on animes suck, but 'Avatar' was an American cartoon and it was its American production that put a kind of patriotism to it. It's sad because Avatar was one of the few American animated series I that was really good and I enjoyed, all the others being anime! And of course the main reason why Avatar was impressive as an American cartoon was that its fantasy world setting was ASIAN based and not the usual European based world with all white or predominantly white characters!

Shyamalan just screwed big time and I dare say it's worse than his last movie 'The Happening'. I made a big mistake wasting my money on that feature, I will DEFINITELY not make the same mistake with this one!! I have to say that when it comes to white-washing in Hollywood, it's much worse for Asians than with blacks. I think one reason why is because of the usual stereotypical nonsense of racism being between blacks and whites only. Another, is because it has become more "politically correct" to have blacks cast in movies even in leading roles but not Asians since the black community has taken more efforts and strides in influencing the media in how blacks are portrayed. I'm not saying Asians haven't but that the black community seems to have had a longer struggle and far reaching associations in media. Asians have JUST begun to do this. You think that over several decades of whites portraying Asians like David Carradine in 'Kung-Fu' that in the 21st century would be different. I guess not!

Oh and I think it's a good thing white people are speaking as well and letting Hollywood know that the white community is not as stupid or as racist as IT is!!
"

GlobalAfrikanSupremacy
Member # 16906

Rate Member
I am going to see the movie, despite it's mostly white caste members. Avatar; the last airbender is one of the greatest cartoons with one of the deepest storylines in the annals of cartoon history. Although, I would have preferred an all Asian caste the story is to rich and deep to pass up. I was a fan of the cartoon so its only natural that I would want to see the movie.
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GlobalAfrikanSupremacy:
I am going to see the movie, despite it's mostly white caste members. Avatar; the last airbender is one of the greatest cartoons with one of the deepest storylines in the annals of cartoon history. Although, I would have preferred an all Asian caste the story is to rich and deep to pass up. I was a fan of the cartoon so its only natural that I would want to see the movie.

Agree 100%
The same way I watched The Mummy trilogy, despite wrong depictions. We just gotta have some patience, things are going to turn around soon. Asian movies like Red cliff, Crouching tiger and Fearless had major breakthroughs in the west. They can only persue this for so long. In the meantime, I will put up with their bulls*** for what it's worth.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Djehuty
Your position, and that of others like King is understandable. Just like I think the money hungry position of hollywood is understandable. Not honest and rightious, but as Bruce Lee said, it's understandable. These people are in it to create profit, and I am, as a student of filmmaking in it to be entertained and inspired. Not to be taught history, I know my history, at least what my ancestors, and those related to my ancestors looked like.
I think these are two seperate issues. It's kind of related to how some people say well, I won't eat Kellogs cornflakes anymore, because the man who created the product had negative views towards blacks. Or how people said, italian gangsters don't belong in the list of most influential people. But the thing is, evil or virtuos, things can be appraised, and assessed, for the seperate aspects they bring to the table.

Masonic Rebel
Member # 9549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masonic Rebel   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti
quote:
^ Of course! Speaking of which, there is this Filipino American kid named Perris Aquino who would have made an excellent Aang. For one thing, he is actually skilled in Shaolin wushu similar that which the character of Aang practices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtUhz0SRc-I

That Kid Perris Aquino is Nice I see your point
and will support the Boycott.

Posts: 567 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What they should do is have a historically white Hero like Thor, and have a Asian play him. Imagine Jackie Chan playing Thor...Now that would be the day, White people would loose it, a Nordic God played by an Asian...

The Movies sux nowdays anyway better to just get em off Watch Movies.net...

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CircleOfLife
Member # 17562

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CircleOfLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christians are such liers, pedophiles, rapist, etc...

That is why every Christian world is being turned upside down with rape and abuse allegations. This is a far worse crisis than who plays Thor is some white-washed movie.

Jari maybe you should make a thread about Christians and why they are such a pedophilic religion? I would like to see that! You talk so much about the faults that you look for so hard in other religions that you blind yourself to all the rapes happening in your own religion.

You be the judge, or better not, you dont be the judge, being that you never seen to be honest in anything that you say or do!

Posts: 163 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MelaninKing
Member # 17444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MelaninKing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm sure some of you have heard that Paramount Pictures has produced a live action version of a popular Nickelodeon cartoon series called 'Avatar: the Last Airbender'. The movie title was cut short to 'The Last Airbender' so as not to be confused with the movie 'Avatar'. For those of you who aren't familiar with the cartoon, the series takes place in a fantasy world that is entirely based on Asian cultures and people. Well not surprisingly, Hollywack decided to whitewash the movie by using white actors to play the starring roles. Not only are the stars white, but the only asians in the movie are either extras or minor supporting characters!

You can read more about this typical Hollywack travesty here: http://www.racebending.com/v3/

-

LOL, what did you expect, it's Hollywood.
Hollywood ALWAYS wedges in Jews to play roles of blacks, Natives, and what-have-you.

That is how they distribute wealth, by slotting non-talented Jews into films, in every available role, as well as other industries such as banks, Oil companies, etc. they fill with incompetent Jews.
This is especially true today with Welfare happy Russian Jews flocking to America by the 100s of thousands. Expect to see more of this in the future.
LOL, Avatar is simply a remake of TARZAN.

If anyone wants the movie, I'll download it from a torrent and post it free on a cloud.
If you want to change this dynamic, there is only one way to do it. No protest. Not post crazy comment on random boards.

Simply, DON'T GIVE THE JEWS YOUR MONEY!!

D/L it free and do what you wish.
If you spend money on this crap, You're the fool for funding their historic misrepresentations and racism. All you're doing is funding their next insulting piece of crap production. and it is crap. [Cool]

Posts: 2403 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MelaninKing:
quote:

-

LOL, what did you expect, it's Hollywood.
Hollywood ALWAYS wedges in Jews to play roles of blacks, Natives, and what-have-you.

That is how they distribute wealth, by slotting non-talented Jews into films, in every available role, as well as other industries such as banks, Oil companies, etc. they fill with incompetent Jews.
This is especially true today with Welfare happy Russian Jews flocking to America by the 100s of thousands. Expect to see more of this in the future.
LOL, Avatar is simply a remake of TARZAN.

If anyone wants the movie, I'll download it from a torrent and post it free on a cloud.
If you want to change this dynamic, there is only one way to do it. No protest. Not post crazy comment on random boards.

Simply, DON'T GIVE THE JEWS YOUR MONEY!!

D/L it free and do what you wish.
If you spend money on this crap, You're the fool for funding their historic misrepresentations and racism. All you're doing is funding their next insulting piece of crap production. and it is crap. [Cool]

Funny how the enemy in the cartoon is light skinned but in the movie looks like a Dark Asian or hispanic. LOL

Shamylan is a peice of turd...

Posts: 8805 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ The irony is that the dark-skinned actor who plays the enemy is of Indian descent like Shyalaman himself! I really think Shyamalan is in serious denial if he sees nothing wrong or racist with casting whites as the stars with exception of the villain.

This reminds me, how many of you guys have seen the movie since it is out now? If not, what have you heard of it?

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Jew Hollywood focked your people over too. How ironic since you love them so much. lol
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This reminds me, how many of you guys have seen the movie since it is out now? If not, what have you heard of it?

I haven't seen it, but I do know it's gotten a rating of 8% on RottenTomatoes:

http://members.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

Posts: 7083 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I heard the movie fared well in the box office but not as well as expected. As far as how good the movie was itself. I know a lot of critics say it was okay to terrible. The main actor who played Aang couldn't act and even some of the martial arts stunts had to be performed by a double since the kid only knew karate and not true Chinese martial arts. Overall though was the glaring ethnic discrepancy of whites playing Asian roles.

quote:
Originally posted by anguishofbeingjewfrightened:

LOL Jew Hollywood focked your people over too. How ironic since you love them so much. lol

Love who? I HATE Hollywood, always have for their stifled creativity and their racism. I don't know what being Jewish has anything to do with it, but of course only your Jew-frightened-ass would blame it on Jewry, dumb nazi. [Wink]
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti what are your thoughts on China/ Japan and India being more of a counter balance to white supremacy in the future?
Posts: 42938 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't know what being Jewish has anything to do with it,

Because you are Jewish, Mary. Apologize to George GM James you have yet to refute his book, you psuedoSemitic low life. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by anguishofbeing:
quote:
I don't know what being Jewish has anything to do with it,

Because you are Jewish, Mary. Apologize to George GM James you have yet to refute his book, you psuedoSemitic low life. [Big Grin]
LOL...at least Mary claims the Egyptians are black..thats a plus.
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^ The irony is that the dark-skinned actor who plays the enemy is of Indian descent like Shyalaman himself! I really think Shyamalan is in serious denial if he sees nothing wrong or racist with casting whites as the stars with exception of the villain.

I frankly find it typical of a certain type of Indian American sorry to say. You must not know much about Indian culture, Djehuti. I doubt whether Shymalan gave a d_ _n. A great number of these people are in denial about even being people of color, let alone other people of color. I'm not a racist and I have some ancestors from india but in case you haven't noticed, some of these people have a big problem. I know other Indian people from low castes here in America and they tell me how they are treated by their own countrymen here.

Anyone can see that from the Bollywood movies where brown skinned people are rarely seen and certainly not major stars. And their newspapers especially the personals sections.

Anyway, I was asking my son about this movie a few weeks ago and he said it "stunk" and even his friends didn't like it he said because it was unrealistic and few real Asian actors playing in it. He said alot of people weren't going to see it because they heard about these things. My son is 16 and I think younger kids are more in tune with what your saying because they know a lot about the background to this cartoon or whatever. I'm not familiar with it.

Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com