EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Lactase persistence genotypes and malaria susceptibility in Fulani of Mali.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lactase persistence genotypes and malaria susceptibility in Fulani of Mali.
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lactase persistence genotypes and malaria susceptibility in Fulani of Mali.

Malar J. 2011 Jan 14;10(1):9. [Epub ahead of print]

ABSTRACT:

BACKGROUND: Fulani are a widely spread African ethnic group characterized by lower susceptibility to Plasmodium falciparum, clinical malaria morbidity and higher rate of lactase persistence compared to sympatric tribes. Lactase non-persistence, often called lactose intolerance, is the normal condition where lactase activity in the intestinal wall declines after weaning. Lactase persistence, common in Europe, and in certain African people with traditions of raising cattle, is caused by polymorphisms in the enhancer region approximately 14 kb upstream of the lactase gene.

METHODS: To evaluate the relationship between malaria and lactase persistence genotypes, a 400 bp region surrounding the main European C/T-13910 polymorphism upstream of the lactase gene was sequenced. DNA samples used in the study originated from 162 Fulani and 79 Dogon individuals from Mali.

RESULTS: Among 79 Dogon only one heterozygote of the lactase enhancer polymorphism was detected, whereas all others were homozygous for the ancestral C allele. Among the Fulani, the main European polymorphism at locus C/T-13910 was by far the most common polymorphism, with an allele frequency of 37%. Three other single-nucleotide polymorphisms were found with allele frequencies of 3.7%, 1.9% and 0.6% each. The novel DNA polymorphism T/C-13906 was seen in six heterozygous Fulani. Among the Fulani with lactase non-persistence CC genotypes at the C/T-13910 locus, 24% had malaria parasites detectable by microscopy compared to 18% for lactase persistent genotypes (P = 0.29). Pooling the lactase enhancer polymorphisms to a common presumptive genotype gave 28% microscopy positives for non-persistent and 17% for others (P = 0.11).

CONCLUSIONS: Plasmodium falciparum parasitaemia in asymptomatic Fulani is more common in individuals with lactase non-persistence genotypes, but this difference is not statistically significant. The potential immunoprotective properties of dietary cow milk as a reason for the partial malaria resistance of Fulani warrant further investigation.

Lokki

Malar J. 2011 Jan 14;10(1):9.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calling the nucleotide sequence of the locus 13910C->T "European" is sloppy, since it primarily exists in pastoralist Fulani, as opposed to sedentary Fulani. This is clearly secondary to the pastoralist lifestyle, not gene flow. It would be a stupid undertaking, if not comical, to suggest that Fulani only adopted pastoralism after learning it from Europeans. Furthermore, there are various nucleotide substitutions that are associated with this locus in Europe itself, not a singly variant. Simply put: sloppy scholarship.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself upon reading "Mali" the title of this thread was thinking of the possibility of getting this from Turkish slaves.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself upon reading "Mali" the title of this thread was thinking of Turkish slaves. I hadn't really heard of Lactose Tolerance in Africa outside of the Maasai i think. Lactose Tolerance is common in Europeans, correct? But, all though genetic drift exists, when i think of Peul out of all the groups in Africa i don't tend think much non-Africa derived genetic ancestry at all.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would they have derived it from Turkish slaves, when Fulani have been pastoralists for as long as pastoralism has been present in western Africa. What Turkish uniparental markers do you presume to be considerable in pastoralist Fulani anyhow? Perhaps you had better read up more on African genetics, if by now you hadn't heard of lactase persistence in Africa outside of Maasai. How do you figure pastoralists in Africa, wherein pastoralism is amongst the earliest practiced anywhere, have had no lactase persistence through all the time pastoralism has been practiced?

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:
Why would they have derived it from Turkish slaves, when Fulani have been pastoralists for as long as pastoralism has been present in western Africa.

Good point.
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's also noteworthy and missing, is nuance next to the generalisation that ''lactose persistence is common in Europe''. Ironically, Southern Europeans, who would've been the most likely in such repackadged Hametic hypothesis scenarios to inject genes into (north) African populations, carry the genes in question in lower frequencies than their Northern European counterparts.

With Lactose intolerance rates as high as 70% in sicilly, and similar findings in Italy and the Balkan, according to one publication, such rates are often way higher than many African populations, who use their stock predominantly for milk and blood.

Also, inability to stand diary products does not equate lacking a gene that is associated with lactase persistence, and vice versa.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All lactase tolerance does not boil down
to a single allele. T-13910 is not alone
and is only so popular because Europeans,
and others embracing the nearest thing to
actually being designated European, i.e.,
Caucasians, dominate the anthropological
fields of study including genetics. Hence
their supreme interest in themselves and
disguising what they find that does not
flatter them (as we'll see shortly).

Alleles associated with lactase persistance:
* C-3712
* G-13907
* T-13910
* C-13913
* G-13915
* C-14010
* A-22018.

LP age in Africa correlates well with cattle
domestication age but is not neccessarily
alligned with pastoralism as the Hadza Click
speaking hunter gatherers have LP phenotype
as do the Sandawe not only the pastoralist
Beja, Masai, Tutsi, Hausa, and Fulani etc.

The TMRCA of T-13910 in Sudanese Fulani
* _LD method = 6,475 (95% CI 5,875-7,100)
* Rho method = 6,134 (±682) and 10,735 (±1,193)

Thus the age of Fulani LP predates all others
having it due to "European Caucasian" T-13910.

The bulk of European/Caucasian scientists seek
to disguise this in terms of Fulani admixture
from Caucasians but since ancestral Fulani were
the first to have it, the fact is more like the
reverse. Caucasians who spread this factor in
EurAsia are admixed from ancestral Fulani.

Repeat, Caucasians who spread lactose tolerance
inherited it by admixture from ancestral Fulani.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

^How would you then explain its proposed emergence in Central Europe as a result of certain Near Eastern crops being unable to thrive in novel European climates, and thus, necessitating a heavier reliance on consumption of stock derived products?

quote:

Integrating genetic and archaeological data, Mark Thomas and colleagues at University College London were able to trace down the first evidence of lactase—the enzyme that allows us to digest the complex milk sugar lactose—persisting beyond the weaning years into adulthood to "exactly when you see the beginning of Linearbandkeramik culture [considered the first Neolithic society in Europe]," Thomas says. "When that started, you saw a change from a mixed economy to one based primarily on cattle." And, with this revolution, came a strong evolutionary advantage for people able to consume milk and its nutrients without digestive discomfort.

Pioneer farmers made their way north with domesticated crops from the Near East, he explains, but these crops were not necessarily well suited for the new environment. So, as the pioneers found themselves isolated with only feeble crops and cattle as well as parasite-ridden water sources, cow's milk may have become an increasingly important staple for survival.

"Seasonal crops are boom and bust, but cattle provide food even when crops are failing," Thomas says. "The only problem is you must be able to drink it." Those on the brink of starvation, he notes, would not have been able to survive the diarrhea that lactose intolerance brings.

And as said in my first post, that the Europeans who have Lactase persistence the least, are the ones who have been in contact with Africans the most?
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have the mistaken notion that my post was in
response to yours or that I care about T-13910
except to clear up the confusion about Fulani
having it due to EurAsian/Caucasian/European/
white admixture.

The fact is that T-13910 is centuries (millenia
by some measures) older than T-13910 in any
other population and the bulk of geneticists who
reason Fulani got it from whites were perpetrating
a fraud and should have admitted the exact opposite
instead of using T-13910 to bolster false origins
for Fulani.

quote:
Originally posted by Kalonji:
quote:

^How would you then explain ...

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Nope, I was just asking how your model stacks up to current research.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
It's not my model. I didn't conduct the science or
publish the report establishing Fulani T-13910 as
having the deepest TMRCA by Rho calculation. Or
did you overlook that whilst perusing your current
research sources?

It's not about me, it's about T-13910, it's TMRCA, and Fulani.

Try posting about that please.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
I did not say you concocted it.
As a matter of fact, I didn't even mention T-13910.
Neither did I mention your TMRCA data.
I replied to your claim that:

quote:

Did you get that from your study, if not, how is it not part of your model?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
What allele is responsible for European lactase persistence?

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
So you're basically answering my questions with a question?

quote:
I did not say you concocted it.
As a matter of fact, I didn't even mention T-13910.
Neither did I mention your TMRCA data.
I replied to your claim that:

quote:

Did you get that from your study, if not, how is it not part of your model?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I'm querying you on the topic, lactase persistence not
fielding requests about al~Takruri. I have a series of
questions for you but will only present them one by
one.

It is by phrasing questions and seeking answers for
them that all the experimenting leading to all these
published reports get funded. Those questions are
always about some relevant scientific issue not about
the scientists.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
These questions are not about you.
Both issues, ie Fulani ancestry in Europeans, and DNA material, eminate from your first post, so I don't see how you get to dictate which one of these are to be queried after.

You made that statement about proto-Fulani injecting lactase persistence into proto Europeans, in fact you was so confident about your claim that you bolded it.

Since you claimed the latter, I've asked you four questions, none have been answered, but you did find the time and energy to talk about other things.

Can you explain to me the questions you have not answered yet:

*How would you explain the markers proposed emergence in Europe, in Central Europe, using both archeological and genetic data?

*How would you explain that the Europeans who have lactase persistence the least, are the ones who have been in contact with Africans the most?

*Did you get it from your study that proto Europeans got their lactase persistence from proto Fulani?

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
How is it possible, that the very Euro's with whom a genetic relationship with Fulani can be demonstrated, have predominant lactose intolerance, if they Europeans in general got their Lactase persistence from proto Fulani?

Why is it that Northern Europeans, who have negligible African markers, have predominant rates of Lactase persistence, if Euros got the marker from proto Fulani?

Greek Cypriots have 66% lactose intolerance rates

-

^Greeks (Cypriots) clustering with Fulani, among others Africans.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Careful now, I wrote ancestral Fulani there were no
Fulani as long ago as the 8th millenium upper boundary
Rho TMRCA calculation.

I don't dictate anything. I, like you or any other poster
write about what I chose to and very limited. This
is a post to a msg board not a chapter in a book. If
you're not interested in answering my questions I'm
not interested in continuing so I will not go on and
respond to each item raised in your below post that
you made up but I never made any such positions.

You're really not asking me anyway. Your questions are
all rhetorical and are really statements which of course
you are free to make as long as they don't distort my
actual words.

quote:
These questions are not about you.
Both issues, ie Fulani ancestry in Europeans, and DNA material, eminate from your first post, so I don't see how you get to dictate which one of these are to be queried after.

You made that statement about proto-Fulani injecting lactase persistence into proto Europeans, in fact you was so confident about your claim that you bolded it.

Since you claimed the latter, I've asked you four questions, none have been answered, but you did find the time and energy to talk about other things.

Can you explain to me the questions you have not answered yet:

*How would you explain the markers proposed emergence in Europe, in Central Europe, using both archeological and genetic data?

*How would you explain that the Europeans who have lactase persistence the least, are the ones who have been in contact with Africans the most?

*Did you get it from your study that proto Europeans got their lactase persistence from proto Fulani?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
What are the markers represented by your chart?
What do they have to do with transference of
the background gene in Fulani and Eurasians
responsible for their lactase persistance?

You must peruse the studies on LP to present an
argument abount LP. LP is not dependent on nrY
nor mtDNA markers which are not genes.

Besides that you need to know that intermediate
and non tolerance for lactose is found in
populations who have tolerance. So you'll need
to base yourself on the percentages of each
lactose level for each population you consider.

BTW - I have no argument with your two initial posts
they just really don't concern or relate to my initial
post which as far as I can see doesn't threaten what
you wrote.

quote:
How is it possible, that the very Euro's with whom a genetic relationship with Fulani can be demonstrated, have predominant lactose intolerance? why is it that Northern Europeans, who have negligible African markers, have predominant lactase persistence, if Euros got the marker from proto Fulani?

-

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Careful now, I wrote ancestral Fulani there were no
Fulani as long ago as the 8th millenium upper boundary
Rho TMRCA calculation.

From all the places where I included ''proto'', you make a biggie out of the one time where I forgot to?

quote:
If
you're not interested in answering my questions I'm
not interested in continuing

Yes, as any self respecting poster would.
If you dodge four questions directed to you one after the other, and expect a single answer from my mouth until you've answered mine, I have nothing to conclude other than that you're dodging my questions. Why?

quote:
and
respond to each item raised in your below post that
you made up but I never made any such positions. You're really not asking me anyway. Your questions are
all rhetorical and are really statements which of course
you are free to make as long as they don't distort my
actual words.

Can you point out what specifically was made up and distorted by me? If you're referring to my accidental ommission of ''proto'', can you explain to me why that matters in the context that I omitted it? To be specific, what could have changed between now and then, in the context of Fulani markers that are generally absent from Northern Europe anyway? Does it really matter in this context? Or are you just fishing for things to keep from having to answer my questions?
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
This getting nowhere and it's obvious you've not
perused the full LP reports. You go on and on
about markers totally irrelevant to LP. You seem
unable to post anything about LP genetics

You champion the first evidence of lactase being
in the Linearbandkeramik culture of Europe. But
the deepest TMRCA for lactase is owned by the
Fulani of Africa.

They both can't be right. There is only one first
place winner. Which is it? The Linearbandkeramik
or the ancestral Fulani? What is the LP genetic
science that backs the one you'll select?

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

you wrote.

quote:
How is it possible, that the very Euro's with whom a genetic relationship with Fulani can be demonstrated, have predominant lactose intolerance? why is it that Northern Europeans, who have negligible African markers, have predominant lactase persistence, if Euros got the marker from proto Fulani?

-

Non-sequitor, and totally irrelevent.
I spoke of genetic relationships and markers, not genes. But I see where you going, everything to keep from being held accountable for your original claim that proto Fulani are responsible for European Lactase persistence, which you still have yet to adress.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
This getting nowhere and it's obvious you've not
perused the full LP reports. You go on and on
about markers totally irrelevant to LP. You seem
unable to post anything about LP genetics

You champion the first evidence of lactase being
in the Linearbandkeramik culture of Europe. But
the deepest TMRCA for lactase is owned by the
Fulani of Africa.

They both can't be right. There is only one first
place winner. Which is it? The Linearbandkeramik
or the ancestral Fulani? What is the LP genetic
science that backs the one you'll select?

I championed nothing.

Go back and read what I've said.
I said that it was proposed in recent reports that European lactase persistence originated in Central Europe.
You're right, this is indeed getting nowhere.
You've exposed yourself to be a total liar and hypocrite. Not only do you distort my words now, right after you accused me of doing so, but you also show that, in contrary to what you said in our last exchange, wherein you failed to answer my questions to this very day, that you won't answer calmly posed questions. It is obvious in how you basically used every evasive tactic in the book the keep from having to answer my four basic questions forwarded to you.

I hope everyone can see what a little fraud you are.

[Eek!]

Just like in the previous thread, where you used a couple of my silly words as a scapegoat to rid yourself of your responsibility to follow up on questions after you made several questionable claims, the only difference is that you now confirmed my suspicions. You wasn't mad about me calling your comprehension into question, because what you're doing here is the exact same routine. The only difference is that I was smart enough to not give you the fuel you need. That is, there is nothing in my post you can point out as a scapegoat to use your usual escape hatchet.

Don't worry, you won't need to, this time it's me who's leaving. You have proven to be the most childish game playing toddler on this forum, posing as some kind of self rightious intellectual.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
I spoke of genetic relationships and markers, not genes.

Precisely. Your chart has nothing to do with the
spread of LP genes because it's not about genes.
This thread is about LP genetics not uniparentals.
You have to study T-13910's background gene to
propose how it spread to the populations who have
it.

Nothing else will do and amounts to personal face
saving than to any exposition of LP genetics, the
initial C/T-13910 mutation, and its spread.

This is why I started by asking you one simple
question to begin delving into the LP genetics
but you sidestepped that question and went into
a bunch of offpanel stuff. Where you to answer
my question and the ones that would follow you
would see why I said what I did about ancestral
Fulani to EurAsian child inheritance. Not that
you would have to agree with it but you would
at least see why I so concluded.

Until you gear your posts to LP genetics I'm done.

quote:
quote:

you wrote.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalonji:

-

Non-sequitor, and totally irrelevent.
I spoke of genetic relationships and markers, not genes. But I see where you going, everything to keep from being held accountable for your original claim that proto Fulani are responsible for European Lactase persistence, which you still have yet to adress.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
My, my. What a temper (and tantrum to go with it).

Now we see the aim of your correspondance. All
the while it was not about the topic but about a
personal vendetta. This really makes me laugh!
Yes everyone can see you have no value add to
the thread topic, LP and Fulani.

Me, I just post my thoughts like everybody else.
It's not my fault that you perceive anything else
like self-righteousness or elite intellectualism.
Many a time have I admitted to blundering and
ignorance. Have you ever done so?

Oh, and I am very accountable and have neither
retracted nor altered any part of my "original claim."
My answer to the geneticists claiming Caucasian
admixture in Fulani is evidenced in lactose
tolerance is since Fulani T-13910 TMRCA predates
that of EurAsians and if the original mutation
only occured once as they say then EurAsians are
the child not the parent.

quote:
You're right, this is indeed getting nowhere.

You've exposed yourself to be a total liar and hypocrite.

I hope everyone can see what a little fraud you are.

Just like in the previous thread,

You have proven to be the most childish game playing toddler on this forum,

posing as some kind of self rightious intellectual.

Explorador
Member # 14778

On this, I agree with earlier posting from al Takruri regarding the TMRCA age estimations issue. Based on the reported ages, precedence should have been given to the Fulani, since it is the oldest by the method applied, but the authors gloss over this. The age estimations was more than likely referenced from Nabil et al. (2007). The results of Nabil & co. just goes to show how LP is largely a natural response to dairy-rich dietary, and as a result, LP has emerged independently [convergent evolution] in different areas of the world, and on different allelic backgrounds.

While LP trait need not necessarily be confined to pastoralists, it does have a strong correlative-association with pastoralist and heavy dairy-dietary lifestyles. It is inclined to be predominant in pastoralist groups, because they are more likely to be natural milk-consumers than agro-based sedentary communities, who generally dwell on more dietary choices.

Even in Europe, although the T-13910 sequence is the most common type, it is not the only allele linked to LP. Nabil et al. themselves acknowledge this. And even in the case of the T-13910 variant, Nabil et al.'s tables demonstrate that many of the populations sampled had more than one allelelic background linked to the LP. The Fulani are no exception. They claim that T-13910 allele emerged multiple times on different nucleotide sequence backgrounds, but then, that the one on the H98 haplotype likely emerged only once. The say they think this, because the nucleotide sequence of haplotype 87 looks to be the ancestral haplotype upon which mutations leading to haplotype 98 likely emerged. But the nucleotide sequences of both haplotype 95 and haplotype 87 could just as well serve as the ancestral sequences for haplotype 98. However, they ruled haplotype 95 out, presumably because 3 out of 6 individuals carrying haplotype 95 did not have the complete set of the familiar sequences of distant-SNP markers flanking the locus where the T-13910 allele lies, on the 3' end of the allele. On the other hand, this is how I look at it: if T-13910 could emerge on different allelic backgrounds, then it could just as well emerge more than once in distinct populations with similar allelic backgrounds for the LCT and MCM6 genes; who's to say that it can't. Even just going off the schematic that Nabil et al. provide on the different haplotypes, all that is fundamentally necessary for T-13910 allele to emerge, is having haplotype 84 around, which if it were to go C->T mutation on the MCM6 gene at 14kb upstream the LCT gene, and then another mutation down the road, at say, G->A 22kb upstream the LCT gene, and not necessarily in that order, would provide an allelic basis for haplotype 98 to emerge.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Yes the T-13910 TMRCAs for Fulani came from Enattah.

Using Enattah, Tishkoff, and Mulcare I posted
alleles associated with lactase persistance:
* C-3712
* G-13907
* T-13910
* C-13913
* G-13915
* C-14010
* A-22018.

Perusing the subject report I have to add
* T-13906
* A-14107

Though nowhere stated in the report, note how the three pronged
T-13910 arrow seems to imply a transSahel to Arabian Peninsula
and north to the Balkans dispersion.

-
Figure 1. - African SNPs in the enhancer region of the LCT gene, in intron 13 of
the MCM6 gene
[3, 8-9, 16, 37]. Red colour points to the region of origin of samples
in Mali (in black). Arrows represent suggested patterns of spread of the mutations.
Without haplotype analyses between different populations, distinguishing original
mutations from those that have spread between populations is not possible. Double
arrow represents the fact that the original location of T/G-13915 cannot be determined,
although it has been found in Arabic populations as well as in the Fulani of Mali (this
study).

Itan et al (2009) persists in attributing the
first human instance of lactose tolerance to
Europeans. Basing themselves on archaeological
evidence they posit T-13901 LP did not exist
before herding and the consumption of cow's
milk. Certain other LP is due to camel milk
but in conflict with Itan are the Hadzi who
have LP but drink no milk, caprid, cattle,
nor camel.

No doubt as latent Eurocentric notions of LP as
indicative of Caucasian superiority wane coupled
with geneticists like Tishkoff and Lokki who
ventured to study LP in Africans waxes more
interesting developments in the study of LP will
ensue as more non-European subjects are analyzed.

Explorador
Member # 14778

It should be noted that of the four methods used [Nabil & Co.] in estimating the MRCA ages, only three have been applied on Fulani samples. The Fulani samples report greatest time depths than other samples in results of two of the three, namely the Rho and the LD methods. Only in the results of the Selection method, they didn't report the highest age, but they still remained in the top greatest ages reported.

Ps: Yes, the authors in question use the dubious "Caucasian" term in a taxonomic sense, to describe populations from a fairly wide geographical area, as if to stake "ownership" on the allele in question.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Just to show how hard it is to junket Caucasian affiliation
for the Fulani, Enattah et al, after explaing the various age
calculation methods and their bearing make this statement
quote:
Interestingly, if we take into account the high prevalence of LP
and the LP T-13910 allele in the Fulani and northern Europeans,
as well as the almost-identical LP H98 allelic haplotype carrying
the T-13910 allele (not only in the 30-kb region studied here but
also in an 800-kb region in some populations [data not shown]),
similar age estimates emerge for the T-13910 allele in both
populations
. This would indicate that the African Fulani and
northern Europeans probably share the origin of this mutation
and
perhaps also share a dairy culture. Previous studies in Fulani have
also suggested a degree of Caucasian admixture in their gene pool,
a finding that supports the Caucasian origin of the LP H98 T-13910
allele. (28)

While still not ceding primacy to the Fulani but willing
to share it with them, they continue to see T-13910 LP
as Caucasian in origin because of a "suggested degree
of Caucasin admixture in [the Fulani] gene pool."

When looking at the et al list we see a plethora of names
of both white Europeans and the then next best claim to
whiteness, Caucasians of SW Asia and India who thus feel
they too have a stake in the primacy.

Explorador
Member # 14778

The "suggest degree of Caucasian admixture in [the Fulani] gene pool." comes from a flimsy reference:

HLA class I in three West African ethnic groups: genetic distances from sub-Saharan and Caucasoid populations.

Modiano D, Luoni G, Petrarca V, Sodiomon Sirima B, De Luca M, Simporé J, Coluzzi M, Bodmer JG, Modiano G.

Istituto di Parassitologia, W.H.O. Collaborating Centre for Malaria Epidemiology, Università di Roma "La Sapienza", Rome, Italy.

Abstract

Fulani of Burkina Faso (West Africa) are a particularly interesting ethnic group because of their lower susceptibility to Plasmodium falciparum malaria as compared to sympatric populations, Mossi and Rimaibé. Moreover, the occurrence of a Caucasoid component in their genetic make-up has been suggested on the basis of their physical traits and cultural traditions even though this view was not supported by genetic studies. A total of 149 unrelated subjects (53 Mossi, 47 Rimaibé and 49 Fulani) have been typed for 97 HLA class I alleles with the amplification refractory mutation system/polymerase chain reaction (ARMS/PCR) technique. Mossi and Rimaibé data were pooled since none of the 42 statistically testable alleles exhibited a significant heterogeneity. These pooled gene frequencies were found to be very different from those of Fulani: a certain (P less than 0.001) or a likely (0.001 less than P less than 0.01) difference was found for 5 and 12 alleles, respectively. Four alleles (A*24, A*29, B*27, B*3701) appeared to be essentially "private" Fulani alleles with respect to the other two populations but their presence was not associated with higher resistance to P. falciparum. Our data have then been compared using chord distances (CD) with those from the literature on Africans (including Gambian Fulani) and Caucasoids. The Burkina Faso and Gambian Fulani turned out to be very different (CD=2.191). Moreover, Burkina Faso Fulani were very distant from sympatric Mossi and Rimaibé (CDs=1.912 and 1.884), whereas Gambian Fulani were similar to sympatric Mandinka and Wolof (CDs=0.412 and 0.388) to an extent comparable to that found between Mossi and Rimaibé (CD=0.555). Our study does not suggest the involvement of HLA I in the higher resistance to malaria of Fulani, and confirms a low, if any, Caucasoid component in their gene pool.

As a matter of note, from above: I wonder what Fulani cultural tradition can possibly be "Caucasoid".

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Excellent reference.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading about Lactase Persistence phenotype I have stumbled upon this old thread.

Fulani, are very close genetically to other African people. It's not very judicious to use uniparental non-recombining haplogroups or genes with strong selective pressure to measure the genetic distance between populations (as I explained in another thread).

We can see the relative closeness between Fulani as well as many African people in the genetic distance tree from the Tishkoff study. The study use autosomal STR.

I wont post it, since it's big, but you can download it:
Neighbor-joining tree from pairwise D2 genetic distances between populations
From The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans by Tishkoff

Clearly we can see that the Fulani are much closer to other African groups than Europeans or Middle Easterners (the map is on scale).

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com