EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » What Are Typical Egyptian Features? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What Are Typical Egyptian Features?
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for The Great One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are these so called "Typical Egyptian Features"?
Posts: 422 | From: Leave No Stone Unturned! | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Great One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Anwar Sadat, Typical Egyptian Features or Atypical?

--------------------
Chairman Mau

Posts: 422 | From: Leave No Stone Unturned! | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Great One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

New Egyptian Prime Minister: Essam Sharaf

Same Question!

--------------------
Chairman Mau

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
 -

Classic Egyptian Profile?

--------------------
Chairman Mau

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^^identify the above Egyptian profile please
Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
 -

Egyptian Boy

--------------------
Chairman Mau

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
^^^^^identify the above Egyptian profile please

Here is the source of the picture, but it does not mention the name of the statue.

http://callu.deviantart.com/art/Classic-Egyptian-Profile-58679712

IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ignoramus..cut and paste expert

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mau:

The answer to that lies with the Egyptians themselves. When my Aunt visited Egypt the Egyptians thought she was one of them. When my cousins go they too are often thought of as an Egyptian.

Consequently I said she has typical Egyptian features.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by osirion:
quote:

The answer to that lies with the Egyptians themselves. When my Aunt visited Egypt the Egyptians thought she was one of them. When my cousins go they too are often thought of as an Egyptian.

Is your own family, what most people would consider typical African Americans?
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
 -

Who has more Typical Egyptian features?

--------------------
Chairman Mau

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by osirion:
quote:

Is your own family, what most people would consider typical African Americans?
^ that side of my family were famous African Americans. They owned an Airport, they are featured in Museums, there are books about them, etc.

Nothing typical about them except they were treated like any other typical Negro by Whites if that is what you mean.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
 -

Who has more Typical Egyptian features?

I am not Egyptian so I cannot answer that except I know who they are so I know the answer.

Love the videos. In terms of phenotype, I believe that modern day Nubians are the best representation of the Ancient Egytians in terms of phenotype. Modern day indigenous Egyptians have evolved a lighter appearance than their ancestors. The Beja Sudanese are also a good example of the phenotype of the Ancients.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
 -

Anwar Sadat, Typical Egyptian Features or Atypical?

He looks very much like many of the depictions of ancient Egyptians. Do you not agree?

Most of your Delta Egyptians look like Asiatic invaders in terms of how the Ancients represented those people.

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
^^

How would know that Delta Egyptians are mostly Asiatic Invaders? There is a very good possibility that they have always been coastal Africans, but not Black Africans per se!

--------------------
Chairman Mau

IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Is it full moon?

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
^^

How would know that Delta Egyptians are mostly Asiatic Invaders? There is a very good possibility that they have always been coastal Africans, but not Black Africans per se!

Open your eyes. Can you not see that many of the Delta Egyptians look like invaders!

-

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case nobody has noticed but Mau is a poster named Dirk under a new screen name. He has adopted a more diplomatic approach to spread his message. I will not silence his opinion but be aware most of his/her posts are cut and paste instead of original thought.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Osirion, Sadat's father was a Bahari from the Delta. Ironically, his father was from the same village that produced Mubarak abd Shiekh Abdel Rahman.

Egyptians in the Delta area are often as white in color but also as dark as many Sa3eedi Egyptians.

Modern Egypt is a heterogenous population with no uniform phenotype. Its really impossible to isolate any one phenotype in Egypt because there is variation even within families.

This is why I believe we should learn to distinguish modern Egypt from ancient Egypt. The only thing worth discussing is any cultural ties modern Egyptians may have with ancient Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Osirion, Sadat's father was a Bahari from the Delta. Ironically, his father was from the same village that produced Mubarak abd Shiekh Abdel Rahman.

Egyptians in the Delta area are often as white in color but also as dark as many Sa3eedi Egyptians.

Modern Egypt is a heterogenous population with no uniform phenotype. Its really impossible to isolate any one phenotype in Egypt because there is variation even within families.

This is why I believe we should learn to distinguish modern Egypt from ancient Egypt. The only thing worth discussing is any cultural ties modern Egyptians may have with ancient Egypt.

Most Arabs can tell who is an Egyptian, without even hearing them speak their unique dialect, "Egyptian Arabic". The lighter Egyptians tend to be more European Looking than most Gulf Arabs.

The ancient Egyptians are not extinct, but have rather expanded their reach into Modern Egypt and Beyond.

Ancient Egypt was just as mixed as its modern counterpart, if not evenmoreso.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mau

Don't take this the wrong way, but what proof do you have that states that Ancient Egypt was just as "mixed" as Modern Egypt?

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
Mau

Don't take this the wrong way, but what proof do you have that states that Ancient Egypt was just as "mixed" as Modern Egypt?

Peace

You don't have to be an Einstien to see how the Ancient Egyptians depicted themselves with a great variety of colors, features, and stature. Granted, there was an ideal artistic form for showing Egyptians, but this was more fantasy than reality. How many people do you know that actually have "Red Skin"?
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mau

What you fail to understand is that Ancient Egypt in the Old Kingdom was symbolic. They painted Women in a Lighter hue because they were the weaker sex. Brown was the Norm in that time for the Men....Women were not really yellow in color.
Also they did not paint themselves with red paint...Thats just false they used reddish Brown, Dark Brown to show there people

In the New Kingdom we see women and men painted in Brown paint to signify Equality with there Husbands we see this most of all in the 18th Dynasty where we have King Tuts Chair which shows Tut and His wife in Dark Brown color See for yourself:

-

So what you are claiming is just wrong. Eyeballin is not really good enough to dictate whether AE was mixed or not.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Mau, that is conjecture like most of what you have posted. The burden of proof is on you to prove unbroken phenotype of ancient to modern Egypt. I am aware that you can distinguish a gulf arab from an Egyptian by dialect. I can also distinguish individual Egyptians this way. Saidi Egyptian is very different from Bahari Arabic.

Also you have a tendency to exaggerate the ''european'' phenotype in Egypt but ignore that most Egyptians tend to be brown. Notice I said brown. This gives me the impression you may be either a pale Egyptian or a Mediterranean white who seeks to make Egypt as an extension of the Europe.

Plus there is no evidence that ancient Egypt was as mixed as modern Egypt untill at least the New Kingdom.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Mau here ancient Kemetians were mixed but mostly with other Africans.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
 -

Wooden Mask from Ancient Egypt
This very beautiful face mask comes from the inner coffin of a large ancient Egyptian sarcophagus, dated at around 1305-946 B.C. The red paint was painted over a layer of gesso and linen. Recently acquired by the Merrin Gallery, the broad oval face has a delicately carved mouth indented at the corners.

The lips are outlined and almost form a smile. The nose is straight with recessed nostrils. The eyes are set wide apart and the cosmetic lines are emphasized in black, which of course was the custom of the day, but also makes this ancient work of art very powerful. The face is very sensitive and the artist who sculpted it, over 3,000 years ago, was clearly a master artist.

Samuel Merrin presents another recently acquired, interesting ancient Egyptian piece. But for more information on this polychrome wooden mask, please visit the Merrin Gallery's website.

The Great One
Banned
Member # 18613

Rate Member
King,

quote:

Also they did not paint themselves with red paint...Thats just false

It seems that you have just defeated yourself.

--------------------
Chairman Mau

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Mau

One bust does not prove anything...How have I defeated my self?

Look at these Bust:

-

-

Now what point were you trying to make?

Peace

multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Well said! Ausur.
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calabooz '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid post. First of all, you say that they had a variety of colors, which is true. Secondly, you say that this variety is a sign of them being "mixed". So I ask you, what evidence do you have of substantial non-African admixture in ancient Egypt? I'll tell you what though, modern Egypt is probably more diverse due to admixture, which means they are mixed. Your logic is self defeating, ancient Egyptian features were a subset of African diversity, not admixture. I can't say the same about modern Egypt, however.

quote:
quote:
Mau

Peace

You don't have to be an Einstien to see how the Ancient Egyptians depicted themselves with a great variety of colors, features, and stature. Granted, there was an ideal artistic form for showing Egyptians, but this was more fantasy than reality. How many people do you know that actually have "Red Skin"?

Posts: 1502 | From: Dies Irae | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Mau

Peace

A lot of African Americans (including myself) have red skin. Not sure I am following you. It is a Brownish Red and very common amongst the Upper Egyptians today. Many Libyans and Sudanese are also this color.
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
quote:
 -

This very beautiful face mask comes from the inner coffin of a large ancient Egyptian sarcophagus, dated at around 1305-946 B.C. The red paint was painted over a layer of gesso and linen. Recently acquired by the Merrin Gallery, the broad oval face has a delicately carved mouth indented at the corners.

The lips are outlined and almost form a smile. The nose is straight with recessed nostrils. The eyes are set wide apart and the cosmetic lines are emphasized in black, which of course was the custom of the day, but also makes this ancient work of art very powerful. The face is very sensitive and the artist who sculpted it, over 3,000 years ago, was clearly a master artist.

Samuel Merrin presents another recently acquired, interesting ancient Egyptian piece. But for more information on this polychrome wooden mask, please visit the Merrin Gallery's website.

Same features as Sadat. You are not trying to claim that to be Caucasian are you?

You should compare to how Europeans depict themselves. They exaggerate the height of the nose bridge and their brow significantly in their depictions of themselves.

This bust is an example of Horn African features and nothing more.

osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
^ quick google hit on Horn Africans

-

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

Hey Angry Afrangi. That face with its complexion would still be considered 'black' today, or a "darky" as what Afrangi like you like to call them.

The features by the way are no different from many other Africans.

So tell us crazy Khawaga, what is atypical about these Egyptians below?

-
 -

-
 -
 -
 -

LOL

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Franklin
Member # 18676

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Franklin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

That's interesting for you to draw a comparison with ancient art and not just today's photos! Did you get that from the blog of a " Samuel Merrin", or somewhere else
Posts: 1 | From: Berlin | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why is it this question is being asked every somewhat.... month?

Anyway are you speaking of present-day or during ancient days.

Stature estimation in ancient Egyptians: A new technique based on anatomical reconstruction of stature

Michelle H. Raxter1,*, Christopher B. Ruff2, Ayman Azab3, Moushira Erfan3, Muhammad Soliman3, Aly El-Sawaf3

"We also compare Egyptian body proportions to those of modern American Blacks and Whites... Long bone stature regression equations were then derived for each sex. Our results confirm that, although ancient Egyptians are closer in body proportion to modern American Blacks than they are to American Whites, proportions in Blacks and Egyptians are not identical... Intralimb indices are not significantly different between Egyptians and American Blacks...brachial indices are definitely more ‘African’... There is no evidence for significant variation in proportions among temporal or social groupings; thus, the new formula may be broadly applicable to ancient Egyptian remains." ("Stature estimation in ancient Egyptians: A new technique based on anatomical reconstruction of stature." Michelle H. Raxter, Christopher B. Ruff, Ayman Azab, Moushira Erfan, Muhammad Soliman, Aly El-Sawaf,(Am J Phys Anthropol. 2008, Jun;136(2):147-5

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.20790/abstract

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Egypt is composed out of different tribes/ ethnic backgrounds. So it a bit hard to say typical. But you will find certain characteristics. Which are Northeast African.

One should know that a lot of invasions have taken place in that region over the course of thousands of years.

But indigenously seen:

An Examination of Nubian and Egyptian biological distances: Support for biological diffusion or in situ development?

Homo. 2009;60(5):389-404. Epub 2009 Sep 19.

Godde K.
Department of Anthropology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 250 South Stadium Hall, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA. kgodde@utk.edu

"The clustering of the Nubian and Egyptian samples together supports this paper's hypothesis and demonstrates that there may be a close relationship between the two populations. This relationship is consistent with Berry and Berry (1972), among others, who noted a similarity between Nubians and Egyptians. If Nubians and Egyptians were not biologically similar, one would expect the scores to separately cluster by population (e.g. Nubians compared to Nubians would have small biological distances, and Nubians compared to Egyptians would have high biological distances). However, this was not the case in the current analysis and the Results suggest homogeneity between the two populations."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19766993

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

Anyway, this is what a lot of females look like in Northern Egypt. (lower Egypt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4xaQkgaIo

And here is former Miss Egypt:
 -

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

Anyway, this is what a lot of females look like in Northern Egypt. (lower Egypt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4xaQkgaIo

And here is former Miss Egypt:
 -

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

If we have to go the studies....their features are similar to those in the South and those of "central" Egypt. With the difference of being lighter complected.

-

-

-

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it depends on where you go in Egypt. There is a North to South Incline of Skin Gradation with the North(Cairo and Alexandia) being the lightest and the South(Luxor and Aswan) being darker.
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^Error correction: If we have to go "by" the studies...
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The features of the Egyptians is that of other Nilotic/East African population.

Remember that Puntites(East africans) were depicted almost similar to the Egyptians.

-

-

-

-

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ma-ass:

Genetic studies have already shown that the population of Egypt today is very similar to the Ancient Pyramids builders Blah Blah

Yep. Correct the Egyptians who built the Pyramids are similar to the Egyptians of Today...

-

-

-

-

The Original Egyptians are still there.

Finally the Afranji Muktaba Mongol says something intelligent.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL

Here is a picture of a man from rural Giza.

-

^ No doubt, he is no different from his ancient ancestors who built the pyramids not like the Afrangi who rule Egypt.

Egmond Codfried
Member # 15683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egmond Codfried   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Queen ahmose/ Nefertari

Posts: 5454 | From: Holland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TYPICAL ANCIENT EGYPTIAN FEATURES

-

Thutmose III

-

Thutmose III

-

Ramesses II

-

Ramesses

-

AmenemhatIII

-

Userkaf

-

Userkaf

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Watu
Member # 18671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Watu
Member # 18671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com