EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » NATO Units Left 61 African Migrants to Die of Hunger and Thirst

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NATO Units Left 61 African Migrants to Die of Hunger and Thirst
JMT2
Member # 16951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMT2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exclusive: Boat trying to reach Lampedusa was left to drift in Mediterranean for 16 days, despite alarm being raised

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/05/09-0
by Jack Shenker in Lampedusa

Dozens of African migrants were left to die in the Mediterranean after a number of European and NATO military units apparently ignored their cries for help, the Guardian has learned.

A boat carrying 72 passengers, including several women, young children and political refugees, ran into trouble in late March after leaving Tripoli for the Italian island of Lampedusa. Despite alarms being raised with the Italian coastguard and the boat making contact with a military helicopter and a NATO warship, no rescue effort was attempted.

All but 11 of those on board died from thirst and hunger after their vessel was left to drift in open waters for 16 days. "Every morning we would wake up and find more bodies, which we would leave for 24 hours and then throw overboard," said Abu Kurke, one of only nine survivors. "By the final days, we didn't know ourselves … everyone was either praying, or dying."

International maritime law compels all vessels, including military units, to answer distress calls from nearby boats and to offer help where possible. Refugee rights campaigners have demanded an investigation into the deaths, while the UNHCR, the UN's refugee agency, has called for stricter co-operation among commercial and military vessels in the Mediterranean in an effort to save human lives.

"The Mediterranean cannot become the wild west," said spokeswoman Laura Boldrini. "Those who do not rescue people at sea cannot remain unpunished."

Her words were echoed by Father Moses Zerai, an Eritrean priest in Rome who runs the refugee rights organization Habeshia, and who was one of the last people to be in communication with the migrant boat before the battery in its satellite phone ran out.

"There was an abdication of responsibility which led to the deaths of over 60 people, including children," he claimed. "That constitutes a crime, and that crime cannot go unpunished just because the victims were African migrants and not tourists on a cruise liner."

This year's political turmoil and military conflict in north Africa have fueled a sharp rise in the number of people attempting to reach Europe by sea, with up to 30,000 migrants believed to have made the journey across the Mediterranean over the past four months. Large numbers have died en route; last month more than 800 migrants of different nationalities who left on boats from Libya never made it to European shores and are presumed dead.

Underlining the dangers, on Sunday more than 400 migrants were involved in a dramatic rescue when their boat hit rocks on Lampedusa.

The pope, meanwhile, in an address to more than 300,000 worshipers, called on Italians to welcome immigrants fleeing to their shores.

The Guardian's investigation into the case of the boat of 72 migrants which set sail from Tripoli on 25 March established that it carried 47 Ethiopians, seven Nigerians, seven Eritreans, six Ghanaians and five Sudanese migrants. Twenty were women and two were small children, one of whom was just one year old. The boat's Ghanaian captain was aiming for the Italian island of Lampedusa, 180 miles north-west of the Libyan capital, but after 18 hours at sea the small vessel began running into trouble and losing fuel.

Using witness testimony from survivors and other individuals who were in contact with the passengers during its doomed voyage, the Guardian has pieced together what happened next. The account paints a harrowing picture of a group of desperate migrants condemned to death by a combination of bad luck, bureaucracy and the apparent indifference of European military forces who had the opportunity to attempt a rescue.

The migrants used the boat's satellite phone to call Zerai in Rome, who in turn contacted the Italian coastguard. The boat's location was narrowed down to about 60 miles off Tripoli, and coastguard officials assured Zerai that the alarm had been raised and all relevant authorities had been alerted to the situation.

Soon a military helicopter marked with the word "army" appeared above the boat. The pilots, who were wearing military uniforms, lowered bottles of water and packets of biscuits and gestured to passengers that they should hold their position until a rescue boat came to help. The helicopter flew off, but no rescue boat arrived.

No country has yet admitted sending the helicopter that made contact with the migrants. A spokesman for the Italian coastguard said: "We advised Malta that the vessel was heading towards their search and rescue zone, and we issued an alert telling vessels to look out for the boat, obliging them to attempt a rescue." The Maltese authorities denied they had had any involvement with the boat.

After several hours of waiting, it became apparent to those on board that help was not on the way. The vessel had only 20 liters of fuel left, but the captain told passengers that Lampedusa was close enough for him to make it there unaided. It was a fatal mistake. By 27 March, the boat had lost its way, run out of fuel and was drifting with the currents.

"We'd finished the oil, we'd finished the food and water, we'd finished everything," said Kurke, a 24-year-old migrant who was fleeing ethnic conflict in his homeland, the Oromia region of Ethiopia. "We were drifting in the sea, and the weather was very dangerous." At some point on 29 or 30 March the boat was carried near to a NATO aircraft carrier – so close that it would have been impossible to be missed. According to survivors, two jets took off from the ship and flew low over the boat while the migrants stood on deck holding the two starving babies aloft. But from that point on, no help was forthcoming. Unable to maneuver any closer to the aircraft carrier, the migrants' boat drifted away. Shorn of supplies, fuel or means of contacting the outside world, they began succumbing one by one to thirst and starvation.

The Guardian has made extensive inquiries to ascertain the identity of the NATO aircraft carrier, and has concluded that it is likely to have been the French ship Charles de Gaulle, which was operating in the Mediterranean on those dates.

French naval authorities initially denied the carrier was in the region at that time. After being shown news reports which indicated this was untrue, a spokesperson declined to comment.

A spokesman for NATO, which is co-ordinating military action in Libya, said it had not logged any distress signals from the boat and had no records of the incident. "NATO units are fully aware of their responsibilities with regard to the international maritime law regarding safety of life at sea," said an official. "NATO ships will answer all distress calls at sea and always provide help when necessary. Saving lives is a priority for any NATO ships."

For most of the migrants, the failure of the NATO ship to mount any rescue attempt proved fatal. Over the next 10 days, almost everyone on board died. "We saved one bottle of water from the helicopter for the two babies, and kept feeding them even after their parents had passed," said Kurke, who survived by drinking his own urine and eating two tubes of toothpaste. "But after two days, the babies passed too, because they were so small."

On 10 April, the boat washed up on a beach near the Libyan town of Zlitan near Misrata. Of the 72 migrants who had embarked at Tripoli, only 11 were still alive, and one of those died almost immediately on reaching land. Another survivor died shortly afterwards in prison, after Gaddafi's forces arrested the migrants and detained them for four days.

Despite the trauma of their last attempt, the migrants – who are hiding out in the house of an Ethiopian in the Libyan capital – are willing to tackle the Mediterranean again if it means reaching Europe and gaining asylum.

"These are people living an unimaginable existence, fleeing political, religious and ethnic persecution," said Zerai. "We must have justice for them, for those that died alongside them, and for the families who have lost their loved ones."

Additional reporting by John Hooper and Tom Kington in Rome, and Kim Willsher in Paris

Posts: 191 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so sad and demoralizing and its outrage
leaves me to ponder if I will ever again help
any non-black person in distress or trouble
if I do not know them personally.

Every NATO member nation shares responsibility
in these deaths which confirms the everyday
high levels of racism in many European
countries best seen at soccer games.

The USA is the worst if it doesn't do the most
to find charge and punish all parties who knew
but did nothing. This is racial homocide.

Even worse would be the home countries of the
victims if they don't keep fire under the ass of
NATO, France, Italy, Malta, and Libya.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet the same NATO is all up in Africa's business from Ivory Coast to Libya bombing and killing claiming they are there to protect Africans in need.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing will change for the White people, until they abandon their "white privilege", even if it means to sacrifice their own:

America’s Favorite Restaurant Is The Soup Kitchen

Or outsourcing their labour force. They will do everything to hold the delusion of being race master (that is why you have monarchies in Old Europe, when their power is only ceremonial).

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow what a Story.

These people must of faced immence persecution in there home countries to make a voyage like this.

What sticks in my mind is that the survivors tried to save the Babies even when there parents died...Showing the only true Humanity in this article. europe had NONE and it sickens me that people would risk their life to try and live in such a racist and ignorant place like europe.

First the story of french football and there "quotas" and now this. I am really shocked that we have such a racist continent that would allow People to die and starve when they KNEW where they were and they needed assistance.

Sadly no mention of this from Aljazeera news or any Canadian news either. france, italy, nato, malta shame on you. Thank God I live in Canada, sadly our government is trying to curb immigration and bend over to USA. We Canadians are NOTHING like europeans with there high and mighty egos that cost the lives of innocent Africans.

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
wow what a Story.

These people must of faced immence persecution in there home countries to make a voyage like this.

What sticks in my mind is that the survivors tried to save the Babies even when there parents died...Showing the only true Humanity in this article. europe had NONE and it sickens me that people would risk their life to try and live in such a racist and ignorant place like europe.

First the story of french football and there "quotas" and now this. I am really shocked that we have such a racist continent that would allow People to die and starve when they KNEW where they were and they needed assistance.

Sadly no mention of this from Aljazeera news or any Canadian news either. france, italy, nato, malta shame on you. Thank God I live in Canada, sadly our government is trying to curb immigration and bend over to USA. We Canadians are NOTHING like europeans with there high and mighty egos that cost the lives of innocent Africans.

quote:
Sadly no mention of this from Aljazeera news
Do you even watch al-jazeera? Because this story was all over al-jazeera!

NATO denies failure to save African migrants
Alliance rejects report that migrants were left to die on board stranded boat, despite distress calls.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/05/201159145354400783.html

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is easy for you to say considering the fact that your country does not face the illegal immigration problem that Europe faces.

quote:
Originally posted by KING:
We Canadians are NOTHING like europeans with there high and mighty egos that cost the lives of innocent Africans.

Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King, I do not think you live in Canada, otherwise how could you forget your own PM; Harper! He tries very hard to appear more facist than his idols. Or do you support his political positions?
Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwa

No Arwa I did not forget about Harper, Hence the reason why I stated that the CANADIAN PEOPLE are nothing like Europeans...Harper is what he is. I also know sadly that he is trying to seperate immigrant families by forcing over 10 year waiting list for Families to reunite.

Exiled

Wow can't believe I missed this on Aljazeera. Thanks for the clear up.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
King

Let me remind you that Harper won another term with a landslide last Monday , this time with clear mandate. Let me remind you also, Harper is a psychopath fascist. Here in Europe, we have fascists, but not psychopaths. Big difference. Did you forgot how the Native people in Canada are mistreated? Do I have to remind you, that Canada is part of the war in Libya?

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arwa

as bad as Harper is, he is no where as bad as European rulers.

All I can say is that Harper won because the people were tired of voting every 2 years as they showed on the news network in Canada they interviewed many Liberal voters who shifted to Conservatives because they were tired of having to waste money on votings. Also Natives are mistreated yes, But they still don't have to pay no taxes and they as a Community have made strides in their country to combat neglect by the governemnt. Yes I hope minorites get treated better in Canada but compared to places in Europe its much better and Blacks, Indians, Asians can travel to ALL parts of Canada without the fear of being attacked for there color, can't say the same for Europe. Look at Germany where minorites are told point blank not to travel to certain areas of that country and then there is Russia. Canada supports many immigrants and I doubt Harper will completly single out minorites since that was who won him the majority.

Should I remind you of how the North Africans and West Africans in France are treated? Should I ask you how the Saami people are treated in Europe how about the Gypsys? How are the Eastern Europeans treated when they migrate to the West?

The fact is racism is a HUGE problem in Europe where they have commercials for stopping racism, yet we always hear about ignorance and attacks on Colored people in Europe. Very rare in Canada. Europe has to get it's act together and things like this article shows that it's not only the people of europe who are racist, but also the government who failed to help people in a stranded boat.

Peace

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
You say, people voted
Harper because they were tried to go to vote every 2 years? Well, that
is called democracy, and no one here in Europe complains to cast their vote often.

That you defend the psychopath fascist Harper, who is more concerned about the Muslim population in Europe and state of Israel than the well-being of his country (he wants to abolish the health care system), does not surprise me, and your views on Islamophobia in this forum is very clear and documented.
Since the war on terror began, there has been only one winner, China. The Russians are also happy to watched from distance how the European Union crumples (today, many EU countries want the co-operation Schengen to be dissolved, and want to re-introduce border control of fear of mass immigration from North Africa, while at the same time,they bomb their cities).

I hope Canada will find out who their true friends are.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Arwa

Sigh

Take it easy.

How am I defending Harper? All I said is that the people voted for him. Harper is what he is. What have you read about Harper that states that he is more concerned with muslims in Europe then Canadians?? Don't you think if that was the case that he would of not gotten the immigrant vote like he did? I don't agree with Harpers ideas but I respect the views of Canadians and hopefully next election the Liberals and NDP can run the country instead of the Conservatives.

Also whats this about islamophobia?? I don't agree with islam does not mean I hate muslims or preach violence against muslims. I have had my fair share of debate on islamic teachings if that is "islamophobia" then I can't deny it. I respect people regardless of religion, but I am not going to lie to people just to make friends. Not going to lie and say that islam and muhammad is a True Religion....if this makes people angry then so be it, Jesus said "I'm the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but through me" Jesus did not leave room for Islam, Hindu, Buddhist or for ANY other faith, Jesus said he was the ONLY way to salvation. Thats just the truth. Aside from this I don't attack others and I allow people to choose what they follow. I have friends that are Hindu, Muslims etc the good thing about the Holy Bible is that it states to Love others regardless.

I also am in tuned with whats happening in Africa, Asia and the Middle East and I supported Egypt in their REAL Revolution....Sadly though we see that muslim hardliners may destroy any democratic votes Egypt has when they come into power. The muslim brotherhood and other religious parties in Egypt are growing in support and this may make it harder for minorites in that country. Also Yemen is another Revolution that needs support and the people in that Country are fighting for Freedom using peaceful measures.

Freedom is something that we as people must always support and defend, Some of us take for granted that we can get on an computer and voice our opinion when some other people can't even do that. Love is the key that God gives us to defend ourselves from evil, hate, and bigotry. We must continue to support the people but just remember Arwa, we ourselves are not free....We have cameras and phones on us 24 7 and people are slaves to whatever big brother wants them to believe. The music, fashion, food is all things that big brother uses in these socalled developed world to corrupt and destroy any freedoms we as people truly want. Thanks to things like twitter, facebook etc, we can be found easily by anyone of the government that truly wants to find us....theres no privacy and people do ANTHING to be a star. Sadly as long as people continue to neglect the Good Word(Bible) and cling to materialism, there will be more and more video cameras being put up in neighbourhoods to spy on the people and people will become more and more like robots. You can get whatever you want from a press of an ipad etc and it is turning people more angry and don't accept when people say NO.

I hope you stay Safe in this troubled world Arwa and I hope wherever you are from you protect yourself because the world is making people more and more colder and more prone to violence. You may be angry at me because of my views on islam, but I will never disrespect you and I rather enjoy reading your posts when you post. All I say is that the people pulling the strings, want us at eachothers throats attacking and insulting and doing harm. It's there way of controlling the mass. People are so busy with being on TV, singing music, that they don't see the writing on the wall....There trying to instill there one world order, world police etc. I was watching a documentary and in it, one of the men a UN person was calling for a world police force to counter "terrorism" and war crimes. The elitist are getting bolder with their push. All we as people can do is trod along and pray that God shows us the way to get out of this hole the world is in.

Peace

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com