EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Zahi Hawass lectures in USA in May and June

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zahi Hawass lectures in USA in May and June
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr Zahi Hawass will hold lectures all over USA in May and June

quote:
The time to reveal the secrets of ancient Egypt has finally come!

Dr. Zahi Hawass will be making one of the MOST EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENTS of his career – NEW GROUNDBREAKING DISCOVERIES revealed for the very first time!

Dr. Zahi Hawass, the world’s most celebrated archaeologist and former Minister of State for Antiquities in Egypt, brings the mysteries of the pharaohs to the United States on his first-ever grand lecture tour in May and June of 2023.

Join the real-life Indiana Jones for an epic journey of exploration and discovery. Don’t miss out on this unforgettable evening as Dr. Hawass reveals the most closely guarded secrets of ancient Egypt and presents his groundbreaking new discoveries and latest research live on stage. As the man behind all major discoveries in Egypt over the last few decades and director of several ongoing archaeological projects, Dr. Hawass may yet surprise you with unexpected revelations that will make news across the world.

The lecture will be followed by a Q&A session and book signing.

USA GRAND LECTURE TOUR MAY & JUNE 2023

Will you be there?

-

"Trailer"

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One can also ask questions after a lecture.

quote:
What’s more, if you’ve ever wanted to ask Dr. Hawass about the fascinating history of ancient Egypt, a Q&A session at the end of the lecture will be your chance!
What would you like to ask him?

--------------------

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're always promoting this dude, most people on this site don't like him,
I'm somewhat neutral on him

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
I am also rather neutral, but since he is one of the worlds most famous Egyptologists I pay him some attention.

I had no possibility to attend his lecture when he was here in Sweden in December last year, but I will try to see him if he comes back here.

He has a lot of experience and knowledge in the field of Egyptian archaeology so I bet his lectures are very interesting.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it's a big tour of multiple states all across the US
"lectures will start at 6 PM. The door will open at 5 PM. " and you have to register

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally have mixed feelings. I can't deny the man has done a lot to bring Egyptian archaeology into the media and popular culture and was the one who partnered SCA with Discovery/BBC. In this regard he is very much a showman who showcases ancient Egyptian culture. On the other hand, some Egyptologists who had the displeasure of working with him consider and best an annoying asshole and at worst a "tyrant" who has even had some Egyptologists banned due to disagreements (i.e. Joanne Fletcher). Other Egyptologists admit that he is not 'an easy man to work with' but he keeps them on their toes. Even Salima Ikram who is a long time friend of Hawass said something like "he takes getting used to" but has worked with him for over 20 years. Ahmad Saleh says that Hawass himself has gotten careless with archaeological sites and his excavations have gotten shoddy as he is gotten too used to bureaucratic management. His views on Egyptian identity is that ancient Egyptians were African but "not negro" which obviously means he subscribes to the notion of separate "North African" (caucasoid?) race like Antalas, contrary to what other Egyptians like Ahmad Saleh believe in that there is continuity with other Africans. Meanwhile Hawass himself claims the ancient Egyptians as his ancestors even though he and his family originate from the Arab colonial city of Damietta. So the guy is full of contradictions, a mixed bag of good and bad.

He is best at showcasing and presenting Ancient Egypt to the general audience of the world. So I still appreciate that.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
It seems that there maybe are some protests to expect against Zahi Hawass lectures, at least according to these articles

quote:
He is making a daring 23-city tour in cities that have significant African American populations. Hawass wants Black kids to believe that they are incapable of producing anything noteworthy. His tickets cost up to $1,000. One of his stops is in Detroit on May 26, 2023--the current hometown of this author. I am certain that a Detroit delegation will be waiting outside the event protesting his anti-Black propaganda. It will be prudent if Black organizations, and especially Black Studies departments, mobilize members and students to show up at other events on his itinerary.
Unfortunately, many African-centered scholars have chosen not to respond directly to Hawass out of fear that he may ban future travels to Egypt. However, some years ago I decided not to travel to Egypt because I did not want to contribute to the billions of dollars the Egyptian government receives from tourists each year.

Famed Egyptian Archaeologist Travels to U.S. to Promote-Not by Africa

One can assume that the hot debates over Netflix Cleopatra film also sharpens the conflicts.

--------------------

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Meanwhile Hawass himself claims the ancient Egyptians as his ancestors even though he and his family originate from the Arab colonial city of Damietta. So the guy is full of contradictions, a mixed bag of good and bad.

Damiette is an ancient city whose name has its roots in the Egyptian/Coptic language. The fact that some Arabs settled in the city during a certain year does not necessarily mean that the entire population suddenly became fully Arab and remained so for centuries. This phenomenon is exemplified by modern-day Kairouan in Tunisia, which was founded by Arabs but still has 73% of its paternal lineages being berber

Moreover arabs are actually one of the closest people to both ancient and modern egyptians :

-

So yes he's right when he says that egyptians as a whole were not negroid or what we commonly consider "black". They would have simply looked like modern egyptians.

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only is that pseudo Genetic test a Lie,

Diop has a melanin test that he did on the Mummies that Show them to be Black African.

Also we commonly call this color Black

-

-

so Egyptians would be Black African that is a common color of Black African.

Listen modern Egyptians from Aswan and the Nubian region look like Ancient Egyptians those in lower Egypt do not have the richness of Black skin to look like Ancient Egyptians

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hawass is basically a peddler of ancient Nile Valley history for Europeans. Most of his work with the media is for Western television channels designed to promote the idea that the ancient Nile Valley people were more like them than Africans. Egyptology to this day is a body of study controlled by Europeans and to get a degree in Egyptology, you need to go to a European institution. And the only way to get a degree in Egypt in Egyptology is from the American University of Cairo. All of that is explicitly designed to promote the idea that the history of the Nile Valley is Eurasian/European history and not African history. The only reason the Egyptian Arab government (it is in the constitution) puts up with it, is because it brings in so much money. So he is touring the United States because he needs to get more people traveling to Egypt, now that covid is over and they have a new Museum that the government spent millions of dollars building.

https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Egypt_2014.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bIFfTRqtc

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Just as a taste how an lecture with Zahi Hawass can be, I post this video. It is some years old but it is still rather interesting

Dr Zahi Hawass lecture by Luxor Times

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

$$$

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

$$$

Interestingly enough when he made a lecture and a seminar in Sweden, it did not cost anything for the visitors. But most probably he got paid anyway.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
He has a 23 city tour. I wonder out of the total how many people pay the VIP admission starting at $995
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
By the way, maybe it can be of interest to see Zahi Hawass doctoral thesis from 1987

Hawass, Zahi A. The Funerary Establishments of Khufu, Khafra and Menkaura during the Old Kingdom. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Peynnsylvania, 1987.

Link to the dissertation (as PDF)

Link to the presentation of the dissertation

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
A youtuber called Egyptologist7 has attended a lecture by Zahi Hawass. Here is her story
quote:

Egyptologist 7

So I attended a lecture on ancient Egypt by the Great Zahi Hawass!! I was going to surprise my dear subscribers with an hour and 45 minute presentation but unfortunately they said no photography or videos were allowed, so this was the best I could do. Dr. Hawass talked about the newly discovered Golden City, the pyramids and some new discoveries inside of it and other new discoveries including a 5th dynasty tomb.

He discussed a little bit about the DNA and said that in 5 months (at another point he said September) there will be some new information out about two more 18th dynasty mummies, one of them has a missing head and he suspects is Nefertiti. But I tend to think Nefertiti is KV35YL based on Gad et al DNA paper. We will see. These are the mummies he said last year we would know something and I mentioned it here on this page, we patiently wait, but with excitement.

I wanted to ask him when the GEM would open and if there were going to be any dna testing on predynastic mummies or Neolithic human remains but there must have been about 2500 people in attendance and many had questions so I didn't even get a chance.

-

Guess who? That's me and Dr. Zahi Hawass [Smile]

A short video

So I Got To See Zahi Hawass

--------------------

Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh so Egyptologist 7 is a she?
I never heard this person's voice when watching some of her anti-black african videos.

quote:
Originally posted by Firewall:
Oh and another racist youtuber i discovered by a mistake awhile back too that folks need to be aware of is called Egyptologist 7,but i will not be posting any of his/her videos here.

Anyway i will try not to post any more of those type of links here but i will mention names or channels if needed.

Topic: Robert Sepehr is a Bad "Anthropologist"
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=013394;p=1#000000

Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
so you've decided to do what you said you wouldn't do?
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You talking to me?
I think you misunderstood.
If so i did not post any Egyptologist 7 links or new video links dealing with those type of racist.
That's what meant and i said will try not to,not will never do it.

The poster above me did.

I posted past comments dealing with the person i mention in my thread and posted my link to show/remind where my original comments came from, not new video links.

Then there is this.

quote:
Oh and another racist youtuber i discovered by a mistake awhile back too that folks need to be aware of is called Egyptologist 7

quote:

but i will mention names or channels if needed.

Clearly it was needed.
Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Seems Zahi Hawass also leads travels and tours in Egypt
quote:
Archaeological Paths offers an experience of Egypt like no other. Discover the Land of the Pharaohs with the most eminent Egyptologists and gain beyond-the-guidebook insight into Egypt’s history. Learn firsthand about the latest discoveries from Dr. Zahi Hawass, the world’s most famous archaeologist, and Dr. Mostafa Waziri, Egypt’s Head of Antiquities.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL PATHS!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com