EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » Igbo People Recognized as Israelites by Sephardic Jewish Rabbinical Court (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Igbo People Recognized as Israelites by Sephardic Jewish Rabbinical Court
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
anthropological/archaeological source stating that ancient elamites (semites) were negroid and so were the Jews

Haha, so you think an anthropological source from 1910 is relevant? As if there has been no development in anthropology since then.

Well, I´m out, no idea to discuss with pseudos.

Yes, even in the 1900s your european scholars knew the Jews were "negroid" people. Bones don't magically transform and become caucasoid over time. Now run along, pseudo boy. You've been thoroughly debunked
Posts: 2542 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
anthropological/archaeological source stating that ancient elamites (semites) were negroid and so were the Jews:

-

"The Negro in the New World" by Sir Harry H. Johnston, page 27 (1910) Smithsonian Institution

https://library.si.edu/digital-library/book/negroinnewworl00john

-
Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

https://pure.uva.nl/ws/files/60796942/Thesis.pdf

Nação legal consciousness and its contribution to the seventeenth-century Dutch Republic debate on slavery and the slave trade
Y. Elazar De Mota

ABSTRACT

In the seventeenth century, some conversos living throughout Western Europe, who had been either trained in the School of Salamanca or influenced by it, came to the Dutch Republic in search of religious freedom, where they reverted to the open practice of the Jewish tradition. A select few of them became scholars of rabbinic jurisprudence, while retaining their knowledge of Christian theology. As residents and foreigners in the Dutch Republic, rabbis and philosophers synthesized Greek philosophy, Iberian Roman law, rabbinic reasoning, and Jewish and Christian philosophy, in light of the socioeconomic context of the Dutch Republic, to produce literature on behalf of reverted Jews. At the bedrock of Nação legal consciousness lies the jurisprudence of the Nação in seventeenth-century Amsterdam. The main focus of this research project is on the pressing issue: How did the Nação in seventeenth-century Amsterdam contribute to the legal-political discussions of ius naturae et gentium in the Amsterdam-Dutch Republic debate on slavery and the slave trade? While many have undertaken research on the development of the ius naturae et gentium, the contribution of the Sephardim in Amsterdam is insufficiently researched. The aim of this dissertation is to add to the discussion by examining the seventeenth-century Portuguese Hebrew Nation in the Dutch Republic and its colonies, whose ideas of servitus, dominium and libertas were central to the justification of the Dutch Atlantic slave trade, as participants in, and contributors to the law of nature and nations. The goal is to reveal how the Nação in seventeenth-century Amsterdam participates in and contributes to the thinking, reasoning, and arguing about slavery and the slave trade, via the language, concepts, and notions of the time, which was dominated by the language of ius naturae et gentium.

Remarkably, no mention of Igbos in the whole 318 page document

Nevertheless "Portuguese Jew" is mentioned 56 times and expulsion 17 times. Tazarah you might want to read this

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yehonatan De Mota's sephardic organization ruled that the Igbo are bloodline Israelites in rabbinical court. The Igbo people were one of the main groups of people targeted during the transatlantic slave trade.
Posts: 2542 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Here is a link to the document:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a98cbc3b40b9da93f7c5126/t/61f35b8ad59d991291cab3fa/1643338634761/Teshubah-on-Igbo-Israelites.pdf

-

^^ This is not a Rabbinical Court document
(aka Beth din)

Rabbinical court documents say "Rabbinical Court" at the top and are signed by a judge or judges at the bottom

It's a Florida organization, with no jurisdiction over Igbos of Nigeria

but if some Igbos want to practice Judaism and say they are Jews I support it.
I don't see why a man born in the Dominican Republic and has an organization in Florida has any authority over Nigerians.

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some people continue to deny their real roots.

But others cherish their ancestors and their true culture.

Some more real traditional Igbo culture

-

-
Israel reveals eerie collection of Neolithic ‘spirit’ masks
Ahead of Purim, 12 relics of 9,000-year-old ancestor worship from Judean Desert, Hills to go on display at Israel Museum for first tim
https://www.timesofisrael.com/eerie-neolithic-masks-to-make-israel-museum-debut/

-

the face of God... Iron Age

-

Revealed: In First Temple era, another massive temple was in use near Jerusalem
Large 10th century BCE worship complex being excavated at Motza in ancient Judah; 4 miles from Temple Mount, site was ‘sanctioned’ by Jerusalem administration, say archaeologists

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-temple-era-judah-another-massive-temple-was-in-use-outside-jerusalem/

The Nok culture is a population whose material remains are named after the Ham village of Nok in Kaduna State of Nigeria, where their terracotta sculptures were first discovered in 1928. Wikipedia
Period: Iron Age
Dates: c. 1500 BC — c. 500 AD

-

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2707 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Judean Pillar Figurines notice the Nubian hairstyle

-

Bambara Female Scultpure

-

Yoruba Female Figurine

--------------------

Posts: 2707 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

@the lioness

The truth hurts so bad huh? Always making excuses to deny the undeniable. That man is a sephardic rabbi with all the credentials required, he and his team of rabbis put forth a beth din ruling that stands in all rabbinical courts. They aren't just in florida, their organization has several locations.

You didn't have a problem referencing his work when you thought it would help your silly J haplogroup argument. Don't be a hypocrite.

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@Yatunde Lisa

Get 'em... lol.

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have also masks on 8000 years old paintings from Tassili in Algeria, which have similarities with West African masks. One does not have to go to Israel to find art that reminds of todays West African art. It is like going over the stream after water.

-

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2689 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About people in ancient Israel. We of course have some human remains from different time that can show us how people would have looked like.

quote:
"The lifelike faces, fashioned from clay by a Canadian forensic artist, are based on the skulls of four people whose remains were unearthed in Israel. They include a male, perhaps a hunter, who lived 6,000 years ago and was buried in a Judean Desert cave; a baby interred inside a vase underneath a Jordan Valley house in the same period; a woman thought to be a Philistine who lived on the coast near Ashkelon 3,000 years ago; and a Galilean male who lived around the time of Jesus."

"The skulls were reconstructed for the show by an Israeli forensic anthropologist, Israel Hershkovitz of Tel Aviv University, with the help of technicians using 3D imaging equipment. Victoria Lywood, the forensic artist, then
produced clay renderings of what the four might have looked like when they were alive."

Reconstructions

-

Then we have this well known image modelled from remains from men who lived in the time of Jesus.

-

And as mentioned before, we even have hair preserved from ancient Israelites.

Ancient Jewish skulls

--------------------

Posts: 2689 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Member # 23365

@Yatunde Lisa

Dude seriously posted the CGI image of "Jesus" face LOL

Tazarah
Member # 23365

-

"The Races of Men: A Fragment" by Robert Knox, page 300 (1850) Lea & Blanchard

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Races_of_Men.html?id=MeoqAAAAYAAJ

Tazarah
Member # 23365

-

"Liberal Review: An Organ of the Independent Thinkers of America, Volume 3" by Mangasar Mugurditch Mangasarian, page 478 (1906) Library of the University of Michigan

https://books.google.com/books/about/Liberal_Review.html?id=Vl7PAAAAMAAJ

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Yatunde Lisa:

Judean Pillar Figurines notice the Nubian hairstyle

You can find ancient works of art from all over the world that show similarities with each other. It still does not mean that the peoples who made them were the same. To base some kind of analyze on superficial similarities is called looker-ship, and has nothing to do with real scholarly analyzes were one sees art (and other artifacts) in it´s cultural context.

Seems some people can not be proud over West African achievements without involving ancient Israel or ancient Egypt. It is as if West African culture is not good enough in it´s own right.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:

"The Races of Men: A Fragment" by Robert Knox, page 300 (1850) Lea & Blanchard

Sigh, do you only read old, outdated literature?

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@archeolteryx

Your signature literally says "old is good". Is old only good when it isn't debunking your position?

Are socrates, aristotle, herodotus, etc., "outdated"? Or are you just butthurt and making silly excuses.

All these "old" sources prove that your european scholars already knew the truth hundreds of years ago. Feel free to keep crying about it though. It's funny and entertaining to watch.

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
@Yatunde Lisa

Dude seriously posted the CGI image of "Jesus" face LOL

The pic is based on real human remains. Seems you are sorry they did not make a Black African lol.

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@archeopteryx

I'm actually laughing at you, very hard.

1. I thought you were done in this thread after you got debunked earlier?

2. What "ancient jewish remains" were examined to create that CGI image? Please tell all of us. Because ancient Israelite remains have never been examined.

This is worse than you posting that reconstructed image from the book of gates. LOL.

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
@archeolteryx

Your signature literally says "old is good". Is old only good when it isn't debunking your position?

Are socrates, aristotle, herodotus, etc., "outdated"? Or are you just butthurt and making silly excuses.

All these "old" sources prove that your european scholars already knew the truth hundreds of years ago. Feel free to keep crying about it though. It's funny and entertaining to watch.

Old writings about human races from the 19th and early 20th century are indeed outdated.

And you also must interpret the ancient authors in their right context which you are unable, cherry picking all passages in the text where the words black or dark are mentioned.

We have art, we have human remains and a lot of other proof that the ancient Israels were not black negroids.

B proud of your own culture instead of trying to find pride in other peoples cultures. It is just so pathetic.

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

quote:
anthropological/archaeological source stating that ancient elamites (semites) were negroid and so were the Jews:

-

"The Negro in the New World" by Sir Harry H. Johnston, page 27 (1910) Smithsonian Institution

https://library.si.edu/digital-library/book/negroinnewworl00john

Tazarah
Member # 23365

quote:
anthropological/archaeological source stating that ancient semites were negroid:

-

"The Arabs: The Life Story of a People who Have Left Their Deep Impress on the World" by Bertram Thomas, page 355 (1937) Doubleday, Doran and Company, Incorporated

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.172706

Tazarah
Member # 23365

^^^ actual anthropological/archaeological sources stating that ancient semites (including Jews) were negroid, based on studies of skeletal remains.
Tazarah
Member # 23365

I love seeing eurocentric clowns cry and make up excuses to deny factual information. Rofl
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:

I'm actually laughing at you, very hard.

1. I thought you were done in this thread after you got debunked earlier?

2. What "ancient jewish remains" were examined to create that CGI image? Please tell all of us. Because ancient Israelite remains have never been examined.

This is worse than you posting that reconstructed image from the book of gates. LOL.

Well since you spew a lot of pseudo history I was forced to stay and correct you.

You are indeed wrong. Read about the Jewish hair in the article I posted. Also read about forensic reconstructions from different times in Israel Seems by reading outdated material from the 19th and early 20th century you are not aware of modern archaeology in Israel. And please visit a museum some time.

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@archeopteryx

Ooooo, scraps braided hair definitely proves your point [sarcasm].

I've asked you to link a study detailing the examination of ancient Israelite remains (as you claim has been done) to support your argument. Still waiting...

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
anthropological/archaeological source stating that ancient semites were negroid:

-

"The Arabs: The Life Story of a People who Have Left Their Deep Impress on the World" by Bertram Thomas, page 355 (1937) Doubleday, Doran and Company, Incorporated

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.172706

Oh 1937, I am amazed over your very recent and scientifically up to date sources (obs irony).

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@archeopteryx

Ooooo, scraps of braided hair definitely prove your point [sarcasm].

I've asked you to link a study detailing the examination of ancient Israelite remains (as you claim has been done) to support your argument. Still waiting...

PS, bones and skeletal remains don't get "outdated" smart guy. If those bones were negroid a hundred years ago, they're still negroid today. LOL what a joke.

Excuses on top of excuses. The truth hurts that bad eh?

Tazarah
Member # 23365

quote:
@archeotypery

14-15th century BC, Egypt. The genesis of the Israelite nation. Have a nice day, pseudo troll.

-

^^^^^^^^^ Earlier I shared this modern source put together by non-black scholars/professors/archaeologists and you cried "afrocentrism". LOL. There's always a silly excuse. Your tears are delicious.
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
quote:
We have also masks on 8000 years old paintings from Tassili in Algeria, which have similarities with West African masks. One does not have to go to Israel to find art that reminds of todays West African art. It is like going over the stream after water.

-

-

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-a-strange-drawing-could-undermine-our-entire-idea-of-judaism-1.5973328

"Then, it seems, "the Lord our God” wasn't “one God.” He may have even had a wife, going by the completely unique "portrait" of the Jewish deity that archaeologists found at the site, which may well be the only existing depiction of YHWH."

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
quote:
About people in ancient Israel. We of course have some human remains from different time that can show us how people would have looked like.

quote:
"The lifelike faces, fashioned from clay by a Canadian forensic artist, are based on the skulls of four people whose remains were unearthed in Israel. They include a male, perhaps a hunter, who lived 6,000 years ago and was buried in a Judean Desert cave; a baby interred inside a vase underneath a Jordan Valley house in the same period; a woman thought to be a Philistine who lived on the coast near Ashkelon 3,000 years ago; and a Galilean male who lived around the time of Jesus."

"The skulls were reconstructed for the show by an Israeli forensic anthropologist, Israel Hershkovitz of Tel Aviv University, with the help of technicians using 3D imaging equipment. Victoria Lywood, the forensic artist, then
produced clay renderings of what the four might have looked like when they were alive."

Reconstructions

-

Then we have this well known image modelled from remains from men who lived in the time of Jesus.

-

And as mentioned before, we even have hair preserved from ancient Israelites.

Ancient Jewish skulls

[img] blob:https://imgur.com/018de879-c7ba-49e2-b17b-d11efb06ef4f [/img]

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

-

-

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-a-strange-drawing-could-undermine-our-entire-idea-of-judaism-1.5973328

"Then, it seems, "the Lord our God” wasn't “one God.” He may have even had a wife, going by the completely unique "portrait" of the Jewish deity that archaeologists found at the site, which may well be the only existing depiction of YHWH."

Are you some kind of religious fanatic, seeing Jews in all ancient African pictures?

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
@archeotypery

14-15th century BC, Egypt. The genesis of the Israelite nation. Have a nice day, pseudo troll.

-

^^^^^^^^^ Earlier I shared this modern source put together by non-black scholars/professors/archaeologists and you cried "afrocentrism". LOL. There's always a silly excuse. Your tears are delicious.
Haha, you show the same pictures again and again. Do you not have any other pictures in your phone or computer? So weird.

Seems you do not post anything of substance, just spam.

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

Now the eurocentric troll is pretending that handfuls of sources have not been presented throughout the entirety of this thread. Nothing but excuses on top of excuses. LOL. You've been thoroughly debunked.
Tazarah
Member # 23365

quote:
@archeopteryx

Ooooo, scraps of braided hair definitely prove your point [sarcasm].

PS, bones and skeletal remains don't get "outdated" smart guy. If those bones were negroid a hundred years ago, they're still negroid today. LOL what a joke.

Excuses on top of excuses. The truth hurts that bad eh?

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
"how to tell me you did not read the article without telling me you did not read the article"

And one only resorts to insults when they have gotten their A&&'s handed to them...

But I got more for you where that came from

-

--------------------

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@Yatunde Lisa

That guy doesn't read anything. He just gets proven wrong, then he cries and complains and makes excuses. Typical eurocentric

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Pity you, you so want Israelites to be negroids, since you are ashamed of your true roots.

I already posted about reconstructions of ancient remains from Israel. If you do not believe me go to Israel and ask the experts, or at least mail them. But I am sure you will never do that because it could disturb your dreams about ancient negroid Jews

You just post old outdated stuff since you know that modern archaeology and anthropology debunk your claims.

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
quote:
"how to tell me you did not read the article without telling me you did not read the article"

And one only resorts to insults when they have gotten their A&&'s handed to them...

But I got more for you where that came from

-

What is the purpose of posting a picture that is hardly visible?

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
quote:
@Yatunde Lisa

That guy doesn't read anything. He just gets proven wrong, then he cries and complains and makes excuses. Typical eurocentric

Facts!

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
No excuses here. So far you failed in posting anything substantial as for example forensic reconstructions of negroid Jews from what is today Israel. Maybe you can post reconstructions of negroid Jews from the time of David, or the time of Jesus?

Maybe you can post a well preserved afro from the time of Jesus? They found hair from Jesus time in Jerusalem, but it was not an afro. But since you know so much so post a well preserved afro from the same time found in todays Israel.
And at the same time you can tell me in which museum in Israel they keep that afro so I can go and see it.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
@the lioness

The truth hurts so bad huh? Always making excuses to deny the undeniable. That man is a sephardic rabbi with all the credentials required, he and his team of rabbis put forth a beth din ruling that stands in all rabbinical courts. They aren't just in florida, their organization has several locations.

You didn't have a problem referencing his work when you thought it would help your silly J haplogroup argument. Don't be a hypocrite.

-
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a98cbc3b40b9da93f7c5126/t/61f35b8ad59d991291cab3fa/1643338634761/Teshubah-on-Igbo-Israelites.pdf

^^ It's ridiculous to call this a beth din
there is no rabbinical court listed at the top or anywhere in the whole 4 page document

nor even a statement saying that a Rabbinical court or authoritative body of any kind recognizes Igbos !!

Come on Tazarah

When I go back and look yout presentations I discover they are even more flimsy

-

^^ look at this, Beth Din 101
Badatz of Lakewood NJ
This is how they look. In Hebrew at the top, it's a Foreclosure, that is the subject
Above that "Rabbinical Court"

Look if this other document said

"OBADYAH RABBINICAL COURT

Recognition of Igbos as Jews"

^^ then at least it might look like a legal decree from a court but it doesn't

Show that Obadayah "document" to anybody and they will have no idea somebody is claiming
this to be a legal document or ruling
Read the damn thing, it doesn't make sense claiming this is a legal document.
It's hardly a document. It resembles an article.
What document is in question and Answer form?

Yehonatan Elazar-DeMota went to University for a law degree. Obviously he knows what he's doing, rather not doing
He is not making it NOT look like a beth din
because they have no official "Rabbinical court"

> Because there is no Rabbinical Court.
There is no jurisdiction. It is only an organization

>> Try to find anything, some other ruling by them

And despite 4 pages of text they do not present any evidence that Igbos are Jews be heritage, he just says they are. And he were to make the whole thing look more authoritative there is a big problem in talking about Igbo Y-DNA (which he doesn't detail), the problem is both Sephardic an Ashkenazi Jews determine Jewishness by the matriarchal line and he is coming from a traditional background and transmission it seems and his team, not BHIs

Of course, no mention of this below
If Igbos are Jews, what's all this indigenous African religion? And where are the Hebrew speakers? >>

IGBO RELIGION

Igbo religion distinguishes between three types of supernatural beings: God, the spirits, and the ancestors. Ndigbo believe that there is only one supreme being, who is variously known in different parts of Igboland as Chukwu, Chineke, Ezechitoke, Osebuluwa or Obasi di n'elu. Each name privileges certain attributes. He created the world and sustains it from above, and one of his praise names is "the one who is known but never fully known." Igbo parents honor Chukwu by naming their children in praise of his power: Chuk-wudi ("God lives"), Chukwu nyelu ("God gave"), Chuk-wuneke ("God creates"), Chukwuma ("God knows"), Chukwuka ("God is greater"), Ifeanyichukwu ("nothing impossible with God"), Chukwuemeka ("God has been very kind"), Kenechukwu ("thank God"), Ngozichukwu ("blessing of God"), Chukwumailo ("God knows my enemies"), and Chukwujioke ("God is the sharer").

Chukwu is seen as a powerful, munificent God, the one who holds the knife and the yam and provides people with wealth, rain, and children, and who is merciful toward rich and poor, male and female, child and aged. Every morning the father of the family offers prayers to the supreme being. Chukwu does not intervene in the minor details of human existence, however; such matters he leaves to the spirits and ancestors, who are often described as his messengers.

The spirits (alusi) are powerful beings who inhabit the three dimensions of space—sky, earth (land and water), and ancestral world. There are several categories of spirits. Powerful sky deities manifest through thunder, lightning, sun, and moon; nature spirits inhabit rocks, hills, caves, trees, and land or farms. The guardian spirit of the earth is Ani/Ala, the earth mother. There is also a spirit associated with each day of the Igbo four-day week: Eke, Orie, Afor, and Nkwo. Patron spirits serve as guardians of hunters, farmers, fishermen, medicine men, and other professional guilds; the matron spirit is called Nne Miri or Mami Wata. Marine spirits inhabit rivers and streams. Human spirits, called chi, determine each individual's destiny. Spirit forces energize medicine that individuals can conjure and deploy for strength, protection, or to harm enemies. Ancestral spirits are the living dead who inhabit the spirit world but are involved in the lives of progenies in the human world. During festivals, they visit the human world as guests in form of masquerades. Evil spirits live in both human and spirit worlds. Only those who lived honest lives, did not die from inexplicable diseases, and had full burial rites can be ancestors or reincarnate. The spirits of evil people wander as akalogolu who appear on lonely farm roads to frighten people. Among the most dreaded evil spirits are ogbanje— spirits who manifest as children, covenanted to return to the marine world after a brief sojourn among human families. Their mission is to participate exuberantly in life events, tantalizing parents with their excessive beauty, friendliness, joy of living, and precocious habits. Near the appointed time of return, they develop unusual illnesses and die very suddenly. Ogbanje spirits tend to possess females. Parents consult dibia afa (divining healers, as opposed to dibia ogwu, who are adept with herbs), make sacrifices to marine spirits, and use facial scarifications on the children to discourage their return to the human world. Body marks at birth may betray an ogbanje child (modern medicine suspects sickle cell anemia).

Benevolent spirits have shrines, priests, and religious festivals as part of their worship. The wicked spirits receive no regular cultic activity except the occasional offering made with the left hand as the supplicant asks to be left alone. Major ancestors have statues, which recall their spiritual power, located at a family shrine. Before drinking palm wine, the Igbo pour out a few drops in honor of the ancestors. The ancestors are believed to help the living reap a good harvest, have many children, and protect the family from misfortunes. Ancestors may also be reincarnated among the children of their descendants.

Acts of religious worship permeate daily life and are often conducted on behalf of family or village groups. A father's morning prayer to Chukwu is offered on behalf of his entire family. Individuals invoke the name of a spirit or even that of Chukwu when they sense danger, have cause to rejoice, when they sneeze, or when they approach a spirit's shrine. Prayers also accompany ritual sacrifice. They are offered to God, the spirits, and the ancestors, and can be prayers of petition, praise, or thanksgiving. The Igbo perceive time as cyclical, from birth to death and reincarnation. Rites of passage are celebrated: naming ceremonies, puberty rites, marriage rites, membership in secret and open societies, adult roles in communal governance, and funerary rites. Both the poor, ogbenye, and the rich, ogalanya, are judged after this life by their honest commitment to communal values.

Sacrifice is central in Igbo religious life. Sacrifices are offered for the expiation of sins, for protection from misfortune, to petition for assistance, and to offer thanks. Most are offered to spirits and ancestors, but in certain cases sacrifices of white chickens are offered directly to Chukwu. Sacrifices at family shrines are performed by the senior man of the family. Each spirit has its own priests who perform sacrifices at the shrine. Offerings include eggs, chickens, fruits, goats, cows, and (in a few rare cases of community sacrifices) human beings. Sometimes the victim—animal or human—is offered to a spirit and a little of its blood is shed as a sign of an offering, but the victim is allowed to live as a devotee who is consecrated to the spirit. Human sacrifices are sometimes connected with adjudication of disputes at oracular shrines. Oracles are graded according to purview. The three with the widest geographical patronage that extended beyond Igboland were Ogbunorie, Igwe-ka-Ala, and Ibin Ukpabi. The last acquired notoriety because the Arochukwu, who served as middlemen in the transatlantic slave trade manipulated the oracle by soaking the stream near the ravine that housed the oracle with red ochre wood and declaring that Ibin Ukpabi had eaten the guilty party in the arbitration. Meanwhile, they sneaked the hapless victim through the forest to a waiting slave boat. The colonial government conducted a raid on the Arochukwu community between 1901 and 1902, but could not wipe out the oracle. They followed this with four other four raids between 1912 and 1925 against the oracle, still to no avail.

Healing is central to Igbo religion. Ndi dibia ogwu (herbalists) employ a variety of techniques to discern the spiritual cause of a particular malady or misfortune: a violation of taboos/prohibitions, moral failure, an offense against a spirit, or a bad personal fate (chi). A spirit, agwu, possesses the herbalist after he recites incantations, and it identifies the herb and the location in the forest for the cure.

Social control models include socialization into acceptable values (omenali), restriction through satires and peer joking relationships, punishment for those who flout the salient values, and reward for those who uphold them. Each control is legitimized with religion. For instance, theft from a farm threatens the food security of the community, so the elders invoke the spirits of Ahiajioku (the god of the yam who also guards farms), Ani/Ala (the earth mother), or ancestors to detect and punish the thief. The earth spirit and ancestors serve as guardians of morality. The most serious crimes are abominations committed against the earth spirit, such as patricide, suicide, incest, theft of crops or livestock, giving birth to twins, and killing sacred animals. Itinerant priests from Nri conduct the expiation of such abominations. Ndigbo employ covenants with the gods of their fathers to preserve social order, enhance the well-being of individuals and communities, and preserve the highest values, nka na nzere —long life and prosperity. They sacralize the whole of life.

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@Yatunde Lisa

All they do is lie and make excuses, especially lioness. You can give him/her evidence that grass is green and they will try to convince you that is not the case.

He/she is still trying to argue about the rabbinical ruling and attacking it's validity when I've already linked (in the OP) the organization's website, the document, as well as a video of the president rabbi of that orgnization himself explaining the ruling.

I bet he/she won't reach out to him and complain about the ruling because he/she is a troll and knows the rabbi will laugh and dismiss them.

Here is a short video of the president of the organization (a black Sephardic Jew), Dr. Hakham Yehonatan Elazar-DeMota ס״ט, who is a rabbi, talking about the ruling:

"Sephardic Beit Din rules that the Igbo of Nigeria are Israelites (Obadyah Alliance)":

https://youtu.be/XYz3XrbB2tQ

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2867817/

Tazarah
Member # 23365

quote:
@Yatunde Lisa

All they do is lie and make excuses, especially lioness. You can give him/her evidence that grass is green and they will try to convince you that is not the case.

He/she is still trying to argue about the rabbinical ruling and attacking it's validity when I've already linked (in the OP) the organization's website, the document, as well as a video of the president rabbi of that orgnization himself explaining the ruling.

I bet he/she won't reach out to him and complain about the ruling because he/she is a troll and knows the rabbi will laugh and dismiss them.

Here is a short video of the president of the organization (a black Sephardic Jew), Dr. Hakham Yehonatan Elazar-DeMota ס״ט, who is a rabbi, talking about the ruling:

"Sephardic Beit Din rules that the Igbo of Nigeria are Israelites (Obadyah Alliance)":

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Tazarah:
[qb] [b] @Yatunde Lisa

you don't provide evidence

To you if someone in a video or book makes a claim and they have credentials of some sort that means it's evidence
No, evidence is is data or physical object that a person makes a claim about

The Obadyah Alliance considers Igbo to be Jews, I don't have a problem with it although not all Igbo claim this

Tazarah
Member # 23365

quote:
quote:
@Yatunde Lisa

Tazarah
Member # 23365

@the lioness

Here is the Rabbi's facebook page, he responds to all messages and I am in direct contact with him. Voice your concerns and then come back to let us know what he says okay?

https://m.facebook.com/Yehonat%C3%A1n-Elazar-DeMota-419826118175012/

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Did you read any of his 318 page PhD thesis yet?
Tazarah
Member # 23365

@the lioness

Did you contact the rabbi to complain about his rabbinical beit din rulling of the Igbo people being Israelites? What did he say?

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com