EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » What to wear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to wear?
habibika
Member # 6161

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for habibika     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning on visiting Egypt this summer. Out of respect for the Muslim culture, I want to dress conservatively and have some semblance of blending in with the people who generally live there. I have brown hair and brown eyes and speak Arabic, but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. What does a girl in her early 20s wear in Egypt?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timbuctoo
Member # 440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbuctoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long slacks and short-sleeve top should be fine in Cairo. Though, you'll see some girls wearing outrageously provocative (for Egypt) clothing in the beach resorts.

If you can pass off as Egyptian, I'd suggest you dress a little more conservatively if you want to avoid the worst of the petty catcalls (harmless but a nuisance nonetheless). Otherwise, they'll think you're a disrespectful local lass.

You really need protection for your head as the sun is brutal in summer. I'd only suggest wearing a higab, if anything, for practical reasons, and then, only if you're Muslim. Otherwise, a broad-rimmed hat will do. It will mark you out as a tourist, however, but you don't want to get heat stroke like I did once - not a nice experience!

I met a Swiss girl in Cairo who had quite a dark complexion and could easily pass off as a local. She received none too subtle comments about her dress until she made it clear that she was a foreign tourist which immediately shut the sleazebags up.

BTW, I'm a guy, so everything I've said is from observation and hearsay not from personal experience!

Have a great time.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wear just exactly what you want to wear and just be yourself for goodness sake. If you are coming in summer wear a hat and cover your skin up as much as possible or you will get badly burned very quickly. Drink lots of water. Charlie
Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Habibi, Egypt is a civilised country, I wear now in Britain what I did in my home land (Egypt) I see no difference in either places.
We are not expected to wear a slimmy in the street even here in the UK , people do look and comment only with their eyes. In Egypt we use our mouth to speak.
Village people are traditionally clothed, Kahirians ( people of Cairo ) are not.
As another author mentioned earlier, your features are typically Egyptian, you will easily blend with the natives.Enjoy Egypt.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, speaking from my experience as a brown hair brown eyes woman in her 20s, it takes more than that to blend in. looks like Egt can recognise a foreigner from far away... i prefer to dress conservatively. I wear long skirts all the time and a blouse or a sweater. Egt women like pink A Lot! I guess you should do some shopping downtown, on talat harb st. there are at least 1000 stores selling clothes for young women. you can also take a look at my pics if you want: http://photos.yahoo.com/anniethegreatest
Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com