EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » receiving egyptian tv in UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: receiving egyptian tv in UK
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a complete dunce over all things satellite - all I know is I've got a hole for a satellite connection in my flat.
When I was in Cairo last week, watching soap operas I realised it would be a really good way to help learn (egyptian) arabic.
Can anyone advise me what I have to do to get it? Don't assume I know anything about satellites at all - do I have to get Sky or something else, then how do I find out what channels I can get?
Alternatively is there something similar on the internet and maybe I can invest in broadband instead?

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malak
Member # 3654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for malak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
You can get AlJezera through purchasing sky, or you can buy a Satalite dish and receiver. Check out this web site
http://www.netcentral.co.uk/
It will tell you all about it. Our dish and receiver cost about £150 UK, one time payment then all channels for free. I am sure that if you look on the yellow pages you will find a few stores to call all local suppliers in your area.

Posts: 288 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear CAtlover,
I am just curious to hear how your Cairo trip went and what about cheffie?

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
Dear CAtlover,

Hi Mimmi,
Thank you for asking - it was a very good trip for a number of reasons.

I don't want to say too much (she says and then types an essay) but Cheffie's friend made a lot of trouble for us, because Cheffie thought he was his best friend and trusted him to translate honestly. Cheffie thought I didn't want to see him (his friend had given him messages 'from me' which I had supposedly left in the hotel he had been working in telling him this (all a pack of lies - I told him I hadn't left any messages because I knew M was a crazy man).

By the time Cheffie understood this, it was the last day of my short visit and he tried to race up from the Red Sea on an overnight bus to see me, but it broke down for 12 hours at Suez and I couldn't change my flight. At least now we have talked on the phone (with all the inherent communication difficulties), he no longer is friends with that person (which has caused him further personal difficulties), and we will see each other again when I go back again.

However, it will be 'just friends' now, we both know the communications difficulties are just too much, and now he doesn't know anyone who is able to translate english better so he has to find someone. Also, I am beginning to know him better - only 6 months now - seems like forever! - and while I love him to pieces, he is one of the sweetest, most gentle people I have ever met, he is someone that life happens to - he goes from one drama to another - and I don't think I could really cope with it - I am more of a 'go getter' 'master of my own destiny' type person! I think I am better being his sister than his girlfriend or wife. I'm very sad about it really but I think he would drive me pots if I married him (not that he's asked - about the only egyptian man I've talked to for more than an hour that hasn't [Roll Eyes] )

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneatatime
Member # 8951

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneatatime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catlover:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
Dear CAtlover,

Hi Mimmi,
Thank you for asking - it was a very good trip for a number of reasons.

I don't want to say too much (she says and then types an essay) ... Also, I am beginning to know him better - only 6 months now - seems like forever! - and while I love him to pieces, he is one of the sweetest, most gentle people I have ever met, he is someone that life happens to - he goes from one drama to another - and I don't think I could really cope with it - I am more of a 'go getter' 'master of my own destiny' type person! I think I am better being his sister than his girlfriend or wife. I'm very sad about it really but I think he would drive me pots if I married him (not that he's asked - about the only egyptian man I've talked to for more than an hour that hasn't [Roll Eyes] )

Awww. I've followed your story Cat, and its bittersweet. Cheffie sounds like a really genuine and lovely guy, but sometimes these things aren't meant to be. What a b**d his 'friend' has been (I saw your posts about the bunny boiler and control freak) and its such a shame. I do hope you can stay friends, it might be difficult for an egyptian man to have friends of the opposite sex, but maybe the fact that you are abroad makes it easier.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cat for reply.
You see there aremore than just me who want to hear about you and cheffie.
Your story is so sweet so pls. keep us posted.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahmeds
Member # 9277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmeds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cat , there are programs like WorldTV (google for it ) that can allow u view the Two Egyptian Channels [Smile] .
Hope that helps [Smile]
Ahmed [Big Grin]

--------------------
if i weren't an egyptian , i would be an egyptian , [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by AndreAhmed:
Hey Cat , there are programs like WorldTV (google for it ) that can allow u view the Two Egyptian Channels [Smile] .
Hope that helps [Smile]
Ahmed [Big Grin]

Ahmed, I'm being really thick, I tried googling it but didn't get anything that looked like it - do you have a URL please?
Ahmeds
Member # 9277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahmeds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Internet-Radio-TV-Player/World-Online-TV.shtml

--------------------
if i weren't an egyptian , i would be an egyptian , [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com