EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » black market

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: black market
paul farmer
Member # 2998

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paul farmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I exchanged money privately and was pleasantly surprised to receive 10% more than the rate in the bank. Then I read in the paper that this was the normal "black market" rate.
Has anyone got experience/advice on exchanging money unofficially? Of course it's nice to get 10% more, but no doubt there are risks too.

Paul

Posts: 3 | From: tunbridge wells, kent, uk | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amrooo
Member # 3173

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amrooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Paul Farmer
yea there is different between bank value and market value"Black Market), for example, if you wanna change Dollar from Bank
1 US Dollar $ = 6.18 Egyptian Pound LE
but at the black market
it will be flactuated between 7.00 ~ 7.20
with a percentage different in rate about 13~16.5 %, but that is illegal at egypt, and it is againest Egyptian Law, so take care )))))))).

Posts: 29 | From: Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bassanioleader
Member # 2215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassanioleader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Paul
if u really so serious about it, and have sum of money, if u interested, mail me personally ..thanks...bassaniopets@yahoo.com

Posts: 16 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolyindifferent
Member # 3196

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolyindifferent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, dont be alarmed and distressed! It is an african thing, everyone does it. In some african countries, it is legal especially in West Africa, here in Egypt, I dont know but it is normal. Get value for your money, exchange in the black market. they do their business cleanly most places in africa, but in egypt, cant trust them too much so be careful but on a final note, hey have no worries!

quote:
Originally posted by paul farmer:
Recently I exchanged money privately and was pleasantly surprised to receive 10% more than the rate in the bank. Then I read in the paper that this was the normal "black market" rate.
Has anyone got experience/advice on exchanging money unofficially? Of course it's nice to get 10% more, but no doubt there are risks too.

Paul

Posts: 28 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady_Fox
Member # 3191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady_Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I See.

I understand that why my boyfriend don't need me to T/T money for him right now and he still can live at there.

Fox

Posts: 47 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Egyptian Government now ordered all the exchange offices to use the bank value with severe punishment to those who don't follow this procedure.
so take care,

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take it easy, it may not be perfectly legal, but everybody does it. Every business man will be happy to exchange your Dollars or Euros at the blackmarket value. Why? because the required funds may not be available at the banks in time, which is very bad news for international business transactions.

[This message has been edited by karinfarid (edited 13 January 2004).]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Dilys
Member # 2553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Dilys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are an Egyptian company using equipment that is not made in Egypt. It has to be purchased in the UK. We are very pro-active in promoting Egypt and have recieved awards for our product.
We need to puchase equipment in the UK this year to the value of £160,000 sterling. Normally we would go to the bank and ask them to send the money to the UK. They would change it on paper and charge us a fee....everything done and everyone happy.
Now they say that they can only transfer the money if we have it in Egypt in sterling. We cannot buy it legally.
I rang the Egyptian British Chamber of Trade today, and was advised to buy on the free market. I said i understood that this was the black market and illegal. The very jovial Egyptian gentleman said "That's the way it's done, there is no other way - I do it myself" He advised me to look harder in Egypt, the size of the exchange was no problem, "If you want to change a million sterling, believe me there will be someone who will do it"
I'm a lawabiding citizen for one thing, and another is that the extra 10% or more on £160,000 sterling is Big Beans. It's hard enough to raise the money legally with competition as tough as it is.
Any ideas?

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marching
Member # 2802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marching         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can export your product, you may be able to arrange a swap.
Posts: 59 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mad Dilys
Member # 2553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Dilys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could, but we have the only Gold Medal award winning Hot Air Balloon Rides in Luxor.(Two medals, Hamdulillah)
As an Egyptian company (My Husband is Egyptian &I have dual nationality) our employees are Egyptian, but Egyptians are not big users of balloon flights.......
However it is a very popular passtime with tourists, most of whom these days pay by visa card.
Of course this is rendered in Egyptian Pounds. So we are bringing into Egypt large amounts of hard currency......gilding the lily of Egypt by offering something with a WOW factor.....but have our hands tied on trying to remain legal AND in business.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marching
Member # 2802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marching         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you could market your services abroad as part of a package. You may be able to do so with the help of a tour agency. They will pay you abroad and you will be able to use these funds to purchase what you need. Just an idea.
Posts: 59 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady_Fox
Member # 3191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady_Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Is there any other Black Market in Cairo that can be contact?

Please let me know, my bf will regular need this services.

Fox

Posts: 47 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it will be flactuated between 7.00 ~ 7.20

Amro,,,can you get me this rate ,,,i will need to echange about 40.000 $ every week

[This message has been edited by MotherEgypt (edited 25 March 2004).]

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dilys:
We cannot buy it legally.
I rang the Egyptian British Chamber of Trade today, and was advised to buy on the free market. I said i understood that this was the black market and illegal. The very jovial Egyptian gentleman said "That's the way it's done, there is no other way - I do it myself" He advised me to look harder in Egypt, the size of the exchange was no problem, "If you want to change a million sterling, believe me there will be someone who will do it"
I'm a lawabiding citizen for one thing, and another is that the extra 10% or more on £160,000 sterling is Big Beans. It's hard enough to raise the money legally with competition as tough as it is.
Any ideas?

Some one a while back asked why egypt is so poor, well, that is exactly why.
Doing business in egypt in legal way is very difficult if not impossible and people are often drive to illegal means to acomplish the most routine of tasks.

Nevertheless, WHY IS EVERYONE TALKING BUT LEGAL AN NOT LEGAL.
what happened to INTEGRITY

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dilys:
We are an Egyptian company using equipment that is not made in Egypt. It has to be purchased in the UK. We are very pro-active in promoting Egypt and have recieved awards for our product.
We need to puchase equipment in the UK this year to the value of £160,000 sterling. Normally we would go to the bank and ask them to send the money to the UK. They would change it on paper and charge us a fee....everything done and everyone happy.
Now they say that they can only transfer the money if we have it in Egypt in sterling. We cannot buy it legally.
Any ideas?

can you charge any part of the amount on egyptian credit cards? they're forced to give you the official exchange rate.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com