EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Moving to Misr

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving to Misr
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I am married to an Misr male and will be living in either Alex or Shebin el Kom. Depends on where I get work. I have completed a AAS in Network Administration and Computer Support and yes it was a Comm Tech College, but a darn good one. I will be taking my 4 yr degree courses on line and might be able to afford courses at the AUC.

I would like to work with the US Aid agency in Alex, the American Egyptian Commerce Assc or so forth. I really would appreciate working with American or in the least some Europeans. I notice that for many IT positions they won't hire women. What a crock! I know if I can snare an internship, it would be easier to work for Uncle Sam over there.

Any suggestions how to go about doing this? Any contacts with numbers, name and titles? I have made numerous emails and they all ignore me. I know these people know some english and can hand it over to people in their office who do know english but they obviously won't.

I read National English version periodicals and newspapers of Misr online and have read Islamic history and conventional thought text with a heaping dose of Quran and bible reading. Yes, I haven't even gotten a good start with learning Arab and my husband doesn't really want to teach me. I am takign 15 credits right now and I am swamped. Plus I love Umm Kuthulm and various other artists.

I am not to impressed with Egypt and definately want to work in an attractive area. Yet, I want to do some sort of service to help the less fortunate of Egypt. That why I am interested in US Aid. Computer Networking or English instruction is the focus of what I want to do professionally. I did teach English as a Second Language volunteer-wise for 3 years here before I got married and I have a blast with that. I am the crazy fun teacher. I don't want to do just my schooling in Egypt. Besides due to my daughter's pale skin, blue eyes, cuppy doll face and vicious-mad baby ways she has 5-8 people waiting on her at all times. Day care is no problem like it was here in America.

I want to enjoy Misr, but I know my middle-class sensibilities will cringe with due to the socieital neglect of the environment and socail aspects. I have an apartment in Alex and the forth floor of the house in Shebin. I've checked shipping/freight costs, visa paperwork and pet travel requirements.

I wonder what I might be leaving out.

Please any suggestions give.

And I am a modest dresser. I am planning to buy about 40 clothing patterns, with fabric and notions and 20 pairs of shoes. Looking at buying wood working plans for furniture. And have a huge list of toys for my daughter and nieces.

My parent-in-laws don't know English but love a great deal and want me to be happy. My brother and sister-in-laws are a totally different story, they all know English though.

Thanks people,

Salam

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
STRUGGLER
Member # 3169

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for STRUGGLER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Hello,

I am married to an Misr male and will be living in either Alex or Shebin el Kom. Depends on where I get work. I have completed a AAS in Network Administration and Computer Support and yes it was a Comm Tech College, but a darn good one. I will be taking my 4 yr degree courses on line and might be able to afford courses at the AUC.

I would like to work with the US Aid agency in Alex, the American Egyptian Commerce Assc or so forth. I really would appreciate working with American or in the least some Europeans. I notice that for many IT positions they won't hire women. What a crock! I know if I can snare an internship, it would be easier to work for Uncle Sam over there.

Any suggestions how to go about doing this? Any contacts with numbers, name and titles? I have made numerous emails and they all ignore me. I know these people know some english and can hand it over to people in their office who do know english but they obviously won't.

I read National English version periodicals and newspapers of Misr online and have read Islamic history and conventional thought text with a heaping dose of Quran and bible reading. Yes, I haven't even gotten a good start with learning Arab and my husband doesn't really want to teach me. I am takign 15 credits right now and I am swamped. Plus I love Umm Kuthulm and various other artists.

I am not to impressed with Egypt and definately want to work in an attractive area. Yet, I want to do some sort of service to help the less fortunate of Egypt. That why I am interested in US Aid. Computer Networking or English instruction is the focus of what I want to do professionally. I did teach English as a Second Language volunteer-wise for 3 years here before I got married and I have a blast with that. I am the crazy fun teacher. I don't want to do just my schooling in Egypt. Besides due to my daughter's pale skin, blue eyes, cuppy doll face and vicious-mad baby ways she has 5-8 people waiting on her at all times. Day care is no problem like it was here in America.

I want to enjoy Misr, but I know my middle-class sensibilities will cringe with due to the socieital neglect of the environment and socail aspects. I have an apartment in Alex and the forth floor of the house in Shebin. I've checked shipping/freight costs, visa paperwork and pet travel requirements.

And I am a modest dresser. I am planning to buy about 40 clothing patterns, with fabric and notions and 20 pairs of shoes. Looking at buying wood working plans for furniture. And have a huge list of toys for my daughter and nieces.

My parent-in-laws don't know English but love a great deal and want me to be happy. My brother and sister-in-laws are a totally different story, they all know English though.

Thanks people,

Salam

howdy!
Well, i believe stayin' in Shebin el Kom WILL NOT GIVE U A CREDIT .
Apparently,what u're thinkin' of is SOOOO FAR from reality.
Have a good one.

Posts: 9 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there

look i have read all ur posts and if ur so much offended by egypt and if thats ur all opinion about surviving in egypt being the white hitted upon female with an angel blue eyes kid and overwhelmed by the dirt and the filth in egypt, then i dont know why u should move into here???? if u dont welcome egypt , egypt certainly wouldnt welcome u and will survive with or without u.. and i married by mistake to an egyptian, u bear ur faults, and no one shall bear that for u..

keep ur blue eyes angel away from our jungle egyptians and thats bettr for u and certainly better for us, we need no haters , offenders in here

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy
Resident Doctor of Dermatology & Andrology

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you were bring loads of stuff here. Have you considered the customs duty you will have to pay.

You would integrate better if you joined and Egyptian charity rather than a American one.

I am a bit concerned that you will not be happy here. You do not seem to like it at all andI am not sure if you can make a life in a country you hate.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi again

if u would like to check egyptian public experience about ur words, soon i will let u check it on a weekly newspaper edited in english coz i intend really to post ur messages and let others egyptians of the public share u if u should come or not but believe me dont come, they wouldnt like u or welcome u and u will hate urself inshallah if u do come

again keep ur blue eyed blonde hitted upon angel kid away from the egyptian devils and if ur so mature enough to understand all those disgusting terrible situation in egypt as u say, DONT COME , and wait for ur publics opinion towards u

cheers

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Masreya_awy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you consider staying home sonomod?
Egypt will always be Egypt and people will not change their traditions and culture and affectionate ways. So If you can't adapt...why bother?

Salam
Monica
(PS:had to change ID and password not being home at the moment)

quote:
Hello,

Thanks people,

Salam

[This message has been edited by Masreya_awy (edited 23 March 2004).]

Posts: 45 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Masreya_awy:

salam monica;
hopefully ull get ur password working again inshallah

certainly true and egyptians will not change their values or morals or any to suit a couple of foreigners interested to enforce their laws or ways of life. if u care to come in here u better know how to adapt and respect the great culture in here.. again iam really posting this evening inshallah ur post to egyptian public with ur name and ur messages and expect much of public replies soon inshallah..

khali balek men nafsek ya monica we law e7tagti 7aga men masr , ta7t amrek
salamo alekom

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh dear. well, i'm not sure if you're an american, but you certainly fit the stereotype.

i think you can see from the amount of otherwise-patient egyptians on this forum that you've managed to offend in just 1 post...that you will need to readjust the way you speak with people in egypt.

i don't know if your husband has just been away from egypt for too long...or the attitude that came across from your post is much more agressive than how you're like in real life... but I wonder what he thinks about your negativity toward his home country.

the reason you're not gettting a lot of responses is because there are a lot of IT professionals in egypt already who will work for a much less than you may expect as your salary.

if you want a USAid job, you need to secure it wt a US agency in US.

Good luck and for god's sake adjust your attitude...otherwise you'll really suffer in Egypt.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nothing to say
shallow ,snop ,ignorant
put all of them into a mixer ,,,you will get the most unpleasant cocktail called SONOMOD

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hopefully she likes her husband more ......

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 23 May 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello,

Thanks people,

Salam

Ok guys, you're literaly slaying her.....
I admit I didn't like the way sonomod talked about her husband in another thread,,,,,not all women and men are angels, mebbe her husband is no angel either, BUT that's beside the point. let's stick to her post here shall we?

First you Egydoc,
For God's sake,when did she say she was hit upon? I reread her post, none of it reffered to that.

It was no crime saying she was not impressed with Egypt, let's admit something here Egydoc, our media isn't really doing a great job at projecting a good image of Egypt, that's one thing, another thing, if the lady only got to see shebin el koum would you say this classifies as a tourist attraction? I sincerely doubt it.
Here is a story for you, when i first visited Saudi Arabia in 1981, I remeber my ma packing pencils!!!!! Pencils for God's sake, we had no idea what to expect. We found a very clean country, with shopping malls , fancy cars .....etc.

Packing 40 outfits? apparently the lady has no idea what to expect!!! I'd blame her husband for that rather than blame her, for her we are another "Developing third world country", apparently he did nothing to change that idea.

if the lady was upset she tried to get in touch with some companies for work and she was ignored....well, who won't be upset?

I admit the part I didn't like was that one "I want to enjoy Misr, but I know my middle-class sensibilities will cringe with due to the socieital neglect of the environment and socail aspects." What i thought was wrong with that was the generalisation, yes there are people who have absolutely no social grace,but they are everywhere not only in Egypt it's like saying all brits have stiff upper lips or all frenchies are handsome.

I haven't read other posts By Sonomod, but she doesn't deserve to be slain like that for that one here.

[This message has been edited by Rimo (edited 23 March 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rimo (edited 23 March 2004).]

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off I have been slain continueously by my husbands Egyptian friends. They come into my home and tell me I could not be a good mother till I convert, start covering my head and have my parents provide a dowry.

I don't know how many times I have been told of the very common idea that: "women are naked in public constantly and there is sex in the streets (everywhere in the US), that the government gives everyone money so no one has to work unless they want to, and the women are treated horribly by men because women are such sluts in the US." This is been said to me by Egyptian men after they have been here for 3-7 yrs and they continue to tell people about this in Misr.

My husband casually told me of a quiry for advice from a friend of his I thought I could trust. "Ayman, I want to stay here in the US, and the best way is to marry an American, how do you know if the American is a truely good woman? Its easier in Misr because the women know Allah, these American women only know the devil."

My husband had the nerve to tell me of this.

Another friend of his how took thousands of dollars out of our near bankrupt company (a tabacco store in a medical complex, it only lasted 5 months, he didn't pay any bills during this time and we lost $30,000, Ayman closed the business days after my daughter was born and I went back to work when my medical leave money ran out 5 weeks, I worked 3rd shift, went to college classes at night and didn't sleep for 48 or more hours at a time with no daycare.

My mother watched my daughter during the night after Ayman promised to watch her while I was at work, he backed out because he neded his rest. I didn't this schedule till my daughter was 7 months. Then I focused on college and paid for daycare with my school loans.

The INS requires that I stay in college and finish. If I don't finish my bacheors degree within a certain amount of time they will pull my husbands naturalization. I am required to work, but that is secondary to my education since I am a seondary sponsor. My husband refused to pay bills untill we almost married to 2 years. I am tired angry and ashamed.

The day I told Ayman I was pregnant he screamed at me for 3 hours about how an infidel was incapable of raising a muslim child, and now he and the baby was going to hell.

During my fourth month of pregnancy he started an internet affair and promised a woman named 'Nacera Safreni' that he would leave me when he gets his citizenship and she would be his true muslim wife. When I found it, the emails were saved on the hard drive, he was casual and said "mixed marriages don't last, who knows if we will be married in two years." From then on he didn't discuss the pregnancy unless he aaked "is the baby alive, are you healthy? is there any complications that you might die in the birth?" Before I found out about his true Muslim wife he was informing me that our child would be sent to live in Egypt with his family when she becomes 6 months old. I wasn't to see her unless it was just a 'visit'.

When the business fell apart I knew his business partner had taken out all of his investment and advanced himself at least $3,000 in order to have enough money to cover a bride price to he "could marry a good woman a muslim, so he wouldn't go to hell like Ayman." This all said to my face and my husband didn't flinch. Later on when his wife didn't like the furniture he bought her, my husband bought it from him to allow him to recoup the loss, saying "she is a muslim, she deserves to have whatever she wants". He asked if I wanted the furniture weeks before this and I said no. Ayman hadn't bought anything besides my wedding ring and a head scarf for me up to this point. I got stuck with $30,000 of debt and this female was obviously more important to my husband than I was. And my husband and his friend who married her don't respect this woman's ethnicity or color of her skin. I guess dark is okay if you can stay in the US and every other muslim woman has shot you down.

While I was in Egypt my sister in law had a huge fit over what I was going to wear to the beach. I forgot my swimsuit, but I have a beach cover that was a solid dark color and reached my elbows and knees. She threw a fit that I was definately goint to end up wearing a bikini. I have worn a freakin bikini since I was 15 months old. I have love handles and plenty of overworked muscles from years of weight lifting for figure skating and b-ball. Besides skin cancer, I haven't had a suntan since I was 10 and I burn in Minnesota sun in 1 hour. What the heck was she thinking? A week after we got back from Alex she was still ranting about the phantom bikini.

Plus she understnd fully that we have a sham marriage. So she flaunted love and affection with her husband whenever she could. I hurt so much.

They young people as I have blogged before and extremely paroniod about the west. The older generation, who know the ones who fought the Isrealis and helped Egypt retain its splendor for their time being are the Egyptians who were so kind to me. I really am afraid along with my father and mother-in-law that the Taliban will be invited in by the young generation.

I have watched about 100 Egyptian films in english subtitles, read many comtemporary authors, young and old, and by what my world religions professor can calculate the entire globe is becoming more paroniod, traditional, and backwards. Look at us the US and the illegal induction of Bush jr to the white house. He wasn't even elected. I spend so much time on the IMF website, the world bank website, UNCEF, UNESCO and so forth. It is obvious due to the second delta's construction and how so many of the EU investors backing out financially and logistically has devestated the Misr government. Basic services have been cut. Now in the last 3 years every 2 weeks in Shebin the water on all second floor dwellings are shut off for hours. Sanitation has falter exceedingly, since water shut offs and when this water is sent back through the pipes, sewage seeps in due to the fact that sanitation processes in the local plants are antiqued and over burdened. Last time a update to water sanitation was done in Shebin was in the 1970s. My brother in law who is a MD and a Pharmacist both are PHDs, reluctantly translated this for my father in law who is a PHD in Arabic Literature, philosophy, and education. Both outrank you dermo doc. My father-in-law knows the depth of my research on Misr politics, social conditions and living indexes. Many major organiztions I listed above have measured the deluge of dropping living conditions in Misr over the last 5 or more years. And a great deal of controversy is on over how Mubarak has shifted emphasis to Six of OCtover, Islamia and other industrial cities to encourage the hemoraging population out of Cairo.

Now most of yous don't know this but Mubarak and Sadat both grew up in Shebin El Kom. My grandfather in law went to elementary and grammar school with Sadat. Most of the military leaders come from Shebin and some how their munipalities are the most havokly ignored. Shebin el Kom is one of the most expensive places to Rent because so many governmental offices reside just down the street from us. This I have been told by my in-laws. I am horrified that so many important people come from shebin but it is being abused. Older people came up to me in the street and told me Shebin was so different 10 years ago.

The vast majority of my in-laws I really do dearly love, save my older brother-in-law and his condescending wife. My husband has had problems emotionally for years before I met him and he hid this from me. My father-in-law has called him cheap, irresponsible and mean spirited. My father-in-law extended an invitation for me to move there, so Ayman can take a breather and get his head together.

If I don't stay with my opportunistic husband and he finds greener pastures, I want to stay close with my father and mother-in-law. My daughter deserves to love and be with these sweet people dispite a competive and narcistic aunt.

The only thing I can say is I know that Cairo and most of Egypt was a Eden in the 1950s & 1960s. Overpopulation, and war has run down the country. Now the young generation is becoming way to conformist and reactionary for its own good.

I want to find a reason to love Egypt for me, myself alone. So when my daughter gets older she can find her heart in Shebin El Kom with her family that hopefully will love me and keep me as their daughter despite what happens between me and my husband.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
sonomod

Can you simply divorce the guy and live in America instead of going to Egypt and who knows what else he can do?

He had threatened me when I was 3 months pregnant in a 11 hour torent of screamming and insults, stating he has friends that will steal her from me and I will never see her again.

I understnd obviously his family won't do this to me. Yet, he has scary friends. When he was a teenager he ran away for 3 years and lived with a group that claimed to be affliated with the 'Muslim Brotherhood'. I knew about this group before I met him and understand that they can pull this off and I would never see her again.

I want to create an understanding and a relationship with people around his family so if my daughter is taken from me they'll know what kind of person I am and possibly help me get her back.

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member

Rimo
Member # 3586

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok EgyDoc , I never tell people what to do but i think you owe her an apology, I apologised before to someone in this forum, it's not the easiest thing to do but it's definitely THE RIGHT thing.

Sonomod, thank you for telling that story, that's not an easy thing either.

Have a nice day everybody.

[This message has been edited by Rimo (edited 24 March 2004).]

Posts: 314 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rimo:
Ok EgyDoc , I never tell people what to do but i think you owe her an apology, I apologised before to someone in this forum, it's not the easiest thing to do but it's definitely THE RIGHT thing.

Sonomod, thank you for telling that story, that's not an easy thing either.

Have a nice day everybody.

[This message has been edited by Rimo (edited 24 March 2004).]

I think you're confused, the Doc was right, she does not belong in Egypt...as sad as her story is she does not like Egypt and her idea that his family could help her get her daughter back if she is ever kidnapped is way out there.

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
And Arabs shouldn't be marrying westerners for citizenship.

The cruelty.

I read these posts at various sites, it helps me understand and get stronger.

The side of people that they show unknowing reveals the darkest pits of their souls.

Ever hear of eurocentricism? It is heavily discussed here in the US, the media, high schools and college, bus stops. There is a Arabcentricism. And it is not be taken seriously. Look to the Germans. The Afghans in the 1980's, the Japanese in the 1940's. And look what Eurocentricism did to the American Indians. We savagely abused our landlords due to indifference and thinking we are perfect people.

Man what a mess the human condition is.

Most of yous don't know it.

Your slice of the 10%.

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He had threatened me when I was 3 months pregnant in a 11 hour torent of screamming and insults, stating he has friends that will steal her from me and I will never see her again.

I can tell you that my blod boils reading this, if I was there and heard this would have helped you ...without hesitation.
Have you tried to find other egyptians in your area who may be able to help you right their without having to go to the Egypt.
I can tell you without meeting him all that crap is just talk, he's tough with a woman which makes him weak and slime.
There must be groups that are able to help you....Mosques, churches, women organizations or anything like that.

Posts: 220 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, when i suggested adjusting your attitude, i didn't mean an entire personality change. your posts are very odd ...perhaps it's the lack of details that lead me to say that...but on one hand you portray yourself as this no-nonsense independent person, on the other you're an abused victim... frankly none of what you write is logical, especially the conclusion that the best solution to living with an abusive husband who has already stated he will divorce you and take your child...is to move to egypt..just t make this oh so much easier for him.

good luck to you regardless

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Actually I have posted his profile and picture on islamic single sites hopeing that while I am gone he will find a woman that makes him happy.

He knows I have done this and really has no problem with it, he just wonders about his petition for naturalization.

I think when he finally does move on many people will react to me differently knowing that I am not imposing myself on their culture.

He had brought home a book given to him by arab friends on the conspiracy that the CIA is sending in blond american bimbos to marry arab elitists in order to control the region. After that he just went nuts and the love was over, we were married only 8 weeks.

I think the pressure and antagonism will leave my interactions when I am no longer a threat, when he get around to divorcing me. And then I can enjoy Egypt. I just worry how this will affect my wonderful monster baby.

shumza
Member # 913

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for shumza   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also find it hard to believe that you, Sonomod, an intelligent middle class woman, cannot find the resources to help you get out of your situation, yanni, you are not stupid, you have help available to you in your community. There are countless women's shelters, community groups, gov. agencies etc. Make the system work for you. Why you are playing the victim? Why are you letting this man play you for a sucker? (excuse my slang). Is this what you want your daughter to grow up seeing--her mom being treated like crap and taking it. Gosh girl get some help NOW.
Posts: 360 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sonomod,

I'm very upset at your story and I thank you for having the courage to share it with us.

Your husband seems to be exactly the kind of person I hope I'll never meet all my life, may Allah forgive him and change his heart, Amin.

In fact under Egypt. law, at divorce, custody of a child goes to the mother (if she is deemed fit, committs to raise her children in an Islamic way and lives in Egypt, independent on whether she is muslim, christian, or jewish), until a certain age is reached. Though the mother may have the custody, she'll not be allowed to travel abroad with her child, if she married again, custody of the child will go to the father.

In my opinion, it is the best thing you can do to get away from that man, if you could be sure that he would not kidnap your girl if you divorce him right now and there, do it.

In the other case, I think you are doing the right thing trying to establish a relationship with your in-laws, they may be able to help you adjust living here, they may be able to pressure your husband or at least influence him positely, they will inshaAllah give you and your daughter love and affection that you've been missing until now, and they may be able to change the picture of Islam, Muslims and Egyptians, that your husband has wrongfully carved into your heart.

May Allah guide you to the right decision, may He ease your pain, and comfort your heart, Amin. Put your trust in Him as He'll decide all matters for the best.

May I ask all the believing people in this Forum to pray for sonomod, her husband and her baby girl?

salam, Karin

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nesrine
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nesrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shumza:
[B]I also find it hard to believe that you, Sonomod, an intelligent middle class woman, cannot find the resources to help you get

she is intelligent, she play with our feeling when egyptiandoc77 and masreya_awi(monica), catched you and show people how you are and then you start to ask for help from people. you are intelligent and your atiitude is bad and behave your words and dont try to make us foolish.
no one call baby monster

Posts: 47 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Masreya_awy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks doc..very nice of you!
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by EgyptianDoc77:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Masreya_awy:

salam monica;
hopefully ull get ur password working again inshallah

certainly true and egyptians will not change their values or morals or any to suit a couple of foreigners interested to enforce their laws or ways of life. if u care to come in here u better know how to adapt and respect the great culture in here.. again iam really posting this evening inshallah ur post to egyptian public with ur name and ur messages and expect much of public replies soon inshallah..

khali balek men nafsek ya monica we law e7tagti 7aga men masr , ta7t amrek
salamo alekom

Posts: 45 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sonomod,

I don't have anything good to say to you.

At first you trashing Egypt and its culture and now suddenly all what you can blame is your husband? Am I right?

You really need to get help to get out of your misery either by the police, a lawyer and a good psychologist. Yes and it will take time.

You need to get out of this s*** (sorry).

It is definitely wrong that you will move to Egypt not under these circumstances.

Oh, what was the comment about not finding a wife online to a new member here on ES? ........ Is this the way you found your husband?????

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 )

i do beleive may be 50 % from what you have said
2 )

NO wise woman can share her private life in public like you do ,,,this why they call it private life

3 ) your husband Does not love you and you have to admit this and this not enough reason to hate Egypt for

4 )
you mix everything together and you do not have clear point of view .

way out
1 ) leave him under any conditions
2 ) find a job in cairo (easy to get as an american )
3 ) be in touch with your family in law to avoid any problems with your husband
4 ) Enjoy your life and do not help to make out of yourself a losser .

you can not do all of this unless you start think clearly .

Make sure your problem is an indvidual one could happened any where when there is no real love.
Abd el Nasser ,sadat ,Moubark ,el kaada ,taliban ,muslims brotherhood and ELVIS has nothing to do with your problem lady ..

best of luck

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:

Sonomod,

I don't have anything good to say to you.

At first you trashing Egypt and its culture and now suddenly all what you can blame is your husband? Am I right?

You really need to get help to get out of your misery either by the police, a lawyer and a good psychologist. Yes and it will take time.

You need to get out of this s*** (sorry).

It is definitely wrong that you will move to Egypt not under these circumstances.

Oh, what was the comment about not finding a wife online to a new member here on ES? ........ Is this the way you found your husband?????

No I met him at his workplace here in Minnesota. I watched me for months without saying anything to me. I wondered who this strong tall, exotic guy was but didn't think much of it because I was focusing on college and a demanding weekends job.

But he did have profiles on single sites.

Things go well if his Arab friends don't mettle. Often he makes it up to me by cooking, apologizing that he didn't understand that this guy was trying to mess him up with me. Then we set down and talk social politics, history and all things I am knowledgable of. He really enjoys this. He says in Egypt it is a good thing that a woman has well developed opinions.

And my private life is mine to develge. I find that puting it out in the open and watching especially women badger me prepares me for the socail consequences of our choice. About a year ago, there was a Saudi woman at our school and as soon as it was common knowledge of our marriage she pointed out to all the Muslimas to stay clear of me and that I was poison to the Islamic community. that I had no right to take a Muslim man away from a Muslim woman. My husband was 26 when he came here and had more offers than my mother-in-law could deal with untill he had a major car accident. Then all the offers were repealled. He didn't have much of choice other than out of his social league or the more open minded infidels of the west.

I really hadn't explored forums like this before I visited Egypt. SO I had no idea that the women would make so many cruel comments. I was very sick with ecoli and lost 20 lbs in 10 days. I didn't have the energy to properly grasp what these women would say next.

Too many questions of whether it was a love marriage or if its for his citizenship. Too bad, I can't fully stop loving him. He can't stop proving his alleigance to his Arab comrades by pushing me away.

After a few years I will come back to the US with my daughter, niece, and mother-in-law. My husband doesn't want to me live in Shebin because the women are going rabid over the prospects of drawing my blood with gossip. My husbands true friend has picked up on this and advised that I live in Alex where there are more Christains. I don't know about that I feel safer around the community elders of Shebin. They made me feel safe. Whenever a group of young people would oggle to long in front of me and older person would shoo them away and then look to me and smile. Or when the police with their AK47s always wanted to search the car I was in on our way home. Some older women would come out into the street and tell them to leave me alone she is Adbel***** granddaughter. I wouldn't have the compassion or consideration like this in Alex. There I would be the unwanted tourist.

At least in Shebin I can give english or computer lessons for fun and help out with farm chores on the land my father and grandfather in-law owns.

Possibly encourage the police to take down those cross and bones posters that emblem a hybrid of the American and isreali flag.

homesick2
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MotherEgypt:
Abd el Nasser ,sadat ,Moubark ,el kaada ,taliban ,muslims brotherhood and ELVIS has nothing to do with your problem lady ..

best of luck

I like that, well said..

[This message has been edited by homesick2 (edited 24 March 2004).]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by homesick2:
I like that, well said..

[This message has been edited by homesick2 (edited 24 March 2004).]

I never said my problem was elvis etc. Your being vicious.

I can't understnd why people of your aptitude continue to reside in the west.

Homesick are you loathing in the USA?

esposible
Member # 2955

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for esposible     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't understand why people of your aptitude continue to reside in Egypt.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by esposible:
I can't understand why people of your aptitude continue to reside in Egypt.

I can't understand why people of your aptitude come to the US. To stand in line at the embassy for weeks and pay thousands.

I welcome anyone here, immigrants make the US great.

esposible
Member # 2955

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for esposible     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are hilarious

Take a deep breath and take it easy.

For all your intellegence of world affairs, your views on Egypt, and I suppose worldly perspective you would think you'd be more openminded but it seems you are either too stuck-up on your Middle class lifestyle or you need to take your head out of your A*%

(sorry if this insults anyone else)

By the way I am american born and raised.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claire_1237
Member # 3724

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for claire_1237     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry but I don't think Sonomod is for real.
It was the the bit about the bankrupt business. "the tobacco store in the medical centre" that seemed just a little ironic???

Posts: 81 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
claire

i think i have to agree with you - i have just re read a few of her posts and cant even work out her situation - is she in egypt? is her husband in the states? is she in the states and on her way to egypt? is she with her child or dreaming about her? i dont know anymore - all i can see is that when she is treated with kindness she gets abusive and when she gets abuse back she is abusive - above all she is random in her coments, she seems to introduce topics on a whim and for no reason while rarely giving a reply to anyone.

Posts: 128 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

quote:
Originally posted by claire_1237:
Sorry but I don't think Sonomod is for real.
It was the the bit about the bankrupt business. "the tobacco store in the medical centre" that seemed just a little ironic???

hi claire and kay

well the way she threads the topic, the misperception, the broken up words, the offense, the disontinutiy of thoughts then the merge into something else..says there is something wrong, so plz lets give her peace and give ourself too..i hope she is really not suffering, i really hope so..
may god bless u all

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy

kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but doc

what can we do - what would help her more - should we ignore her - i cant agree with her??????

i too hope she finds peace and i wish she could see how kind and wonderful people are in this forum - (just dont disrespect our friends or we will respond lol)

great posts by the way doc - really enjoy them

love kay

Posts: 128 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com